Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Nah. Hippie poo poo is my game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I was really impressed by the 6V6 Super Sonic when I had a chance to play one some time ago. Brand new, they're not exactly cheap, however.

Sven
Oct 4, 2005

Smash it Smash hit posted:

sorry if this is an insult to your intelligence but have you tried various cables? instrument and speaker.

second try looking at the efx loop series. I am not familiar with the dual terror but I ha a friend work on his buddies Dual rect and turns out the efx loop knob was turned down. (as if those things don't have enough knobs), I have also heard some new Amps having switches to activate them and maybe that could be on?

if this doesn't help get just one working preamp that can go in each section and replace them one by one and see what's up. don't bother buying a whole set since those rarely do go bad.

No insult, its usually turned out to be something like this in the past but I've tried all the cables with a different amp so i think they're all good. It doesn't have an efx loop so that rules that out. Just woke up so Im gonna try replacing the preamps and see how that goes.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Nah. Hippie poo poo is my game.

Then you're in luck!

jwh posted:

I was really impressed by the 6V6 Super Sonic when I had a chance to play one some time ago. Brand new, they're not exactly cheap, however.

They're not cheap used, either :v: If you hunt around on eBay, you can find the 60 watt ones for $600-800 depending on the condition, and that's about what they're going for used on Guitar Center/Musicgoround/etc. I'd see if I could find one on CL if there's no real rush but I can't imagine buying one new.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Worst part is that most used on eBay/GC Used are the older model, which I've read is not quite as reliable. Though GC Used does have a new 60 model, its 112 only.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Worst part is that most used on eBay/GC Used are the older model, which I've read is not quite as reliable. Though GC Used does have a new 60 model, its 112 only.

just get a vintage fender reverb? dual, super, Princeton- they are all solid and if you keep an eye out you can find one for the same price.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

just get a vintage fender reverb? dual, super, Princeton- they are all solid and if you keep an eye out you can find one for the same price.

That would be my plan, as well. Although there's a lot of variability to pricing in the silverface fenders right now. Generally you want a non master volume, pre-73. Even better would be an AB763 circuit in a '68. Although the AA circuit doesn't sound THAT bad to me either.

That having been said, I have one of the least desirable Twin Reverbs from the early 80s with an ultralinear transformer and master volume, and it sounds really good.

There's also the Traynor Dark Horse / Iron Horse! I wish someone else would buy one, so I would have someone to talk about them with.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
I almost bought a Traynor YB200 instead of my V4. But it was 2-3 hours away and I have never heard one. Was worried about the power of V4 but running both 610/412 and I literally shake the house.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

V4s are pretty loud, but they dirty up pretty quickly at stage volume. Or at least they did for me, with a 410.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

jwh posted:

That would be my plan, as well. Although there's a lot of variability to pricing in the silverface fenders right now. Generally you want a non master volume, pre-73. Even better would be an AB763 circuit in a '68. Although the AA circuit doesn't sound THAT bad to me either.

That having been said, I have one of the least desirable Twin Reverbs from the early 80s with an ultralinear transformer and master volume, and it sounds really good.

There's also the Traynor Dark Horse / Iron Horse! I wish someone else would buy one, so I would have someone to talk about them with.

Do you want to know how often I miss my Traynor YCV50?

It's every day rip

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

jwh posted:

V4s are pretty loud, but they dirty up pretty quickly at stage volume. Or at least they did for me, with a 410.

I like the dirt and grime a lot. I set it at 11 o'clock for more quiet parts then clean boost it into the grind when I want it.

I really don't like the svts "boom" to me it looses all texture. going for doom type stuff so clean headroom is not really what I am going for.

plus pushing a v4 is all about speaker efficiency too, which can be said about any amp really.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I'm convinced that with the ultra-lo switch on the svt is basically unusable. Otherwise, it's great.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

jwh posted:

I'm convinced that with the ultra-lo switch on the svt is basically unusable. Otherwise, it's great.

ultra-lo on the v4b is kinda stupid as well haha.

I mean I don't think it's a bad head by any means, I just don't like the boom of the svt as much as I dig the grind of the v4.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

I'm keeping an eye out for them all. I'm leaning towards Super Sonic basically due to it having a Bassman circuit in Channel 1.

My only concern with getting a pre 75 amp is dealing with a tube rectifier.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 25, 2013

Syndic
Jul 5, 2012
Does anyone have any good suggestions for a small-sized, affordable (preferably tube) amp? It'll be used for low-volume playing and home recording in my apartment, and I don't anticipate needing full band volume. The two electrics it'll be used with are a Gretsch 5120 and Fender Jag. I'd like something that takes pedals well and ideally has no built-in effects.

I've owned a Vox AC4TV combo in the past and quite liked it. The AC4 with the 12" extension cabinet was going to be the first thing I knocked around the shop. Any other amps particularly worth checking out in this end of the market?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Syndic posted:

Does anyone have any good suggestions for a small-sized, affordable (preferably tube) amp? It'll be used for low-volume playing and home recording in my apartment, and I don't anticipate needing full band volume. The two electrics it'll be used with are a Gretsch 5120 and Fender Jag. I'd like something that takes pedals well and ideally has no built-in effects.

I've owned a Vox AC4TV combo in the past and quite liked it. The AC4 with the 12" extension cabinet was going to be the first thing I knocked around the shop. Any other amps particularly worth checking out in this end of the market?

affordable is kinda relative! how much you looking to spend and what kinda jams you playing?

Syndic
Jul 5, 2012

affordable is kinda relative! how much you looking to spend and what kinda jams you playing?

Sub $400 ideally. It'll be mainly used for Britpop type stuff (Stone Roses, Ride, Slowdive - that sort of thing).

Thanks!

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Blackstar makes a 1W tube head/combo. There are a ton of 15 or less watt amps out there now days. But even a 5 watt tube amp is pretty loud.

Orange makes like 4 different 15/7 watt switchable amps. But again, they are pretty loud even in 7 watt mode.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Dirt posted:

Blackstar makes a 1W tube head/combo. There are a ton of 15 or less watt amps out there now days. But even a 5 watt tube amp is pretty loud.

Orange makes like 4 different 15/7 watt switchable amps. But again, they are pretty loud even in 7 watt mode.

Orange tube guys that size are still goin to run 500+ I believe. But you might be able to score one used or could get a hybrid.

unfortunately I don't have a lot of dealings with the low watt tube dudes :( saw a blackheart that sounded okay but they are made by crate for what that's worth.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Syndic posted:

Egnater Tweaker 15 would be a great choice there. Super versatile.

e: scratch that, I assumed that you wanted a head for some reason. The combo amp is over $400.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I just picked up a Leslie speaker Model 16. Has anyone played or worked with one? If so, how loud is it supposed to be when nothing's plugged in. The rotating drum is definitely audible from about 10' away without anything connected.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I've always heard the Peavey Classic 30 is the go-to budget tube amp that takes pedals really well.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
It's a little loud for what that dude wants though.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Syndic posted:

I'll go ahead and recommend the Fender Excelsior, which will probably be the recipient of some crazy online black friday deals in the very near future. 13 watts I believe, which should give you more than enough headroom, and most importantly it sounds good (and also looks neat).

Syndic
Jul 5, 2012
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll be sure to check them out

flummox
Jul 17, 2004
I want a shoehorn, the kind with teeth.

Syndic posted:

I really like the Vox and the Blackheart mentioned. The Vox will get you a more usable tone at home-recording levels, but the Blackheart is much, much better made. VHT makes a fantastic little 6-watt head that is completely hand-wired and very tweakable. You can run any 6l6, 6v6, el34 or KT66 power tube with no mods. I tried the Blackheart and the VHT for my home recording project and they were both too loud to get power tube distortion without being very audible outside the house. I ended up building an isolation cab and stereo miking the VHT through that. I also extensively used a Vox Tonelab LE which, to be honest, worked at least as well and was orders of magnitude more flexible and convenient.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006

Abel Wingnut posted:

I just picked up a Leslie speaker Model 16. Has anyone played or worked with one? If so, how loud is it supposed to be when nothing's plugged in. The rotating drum is definitely audible from about 10' away without anything connected.

I've got an 18. Yeah, they're kind of loud. I imagine that maybe they weren't 40 years ago, but I don't care enough to have it looked at. It's a little noisy for recording and a little bulky for gigging with so it's just kind of a fun oddity thing.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

flummox posted:

I also extensively used a Vox Tonelab LE which, to be honest, worked at least as well and was orders of magnitude more flexible and convenient.
How is the reverb on that?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

juche mane posted:

I've got an 18. Yeah, they're kind of loud. I imagine that maybe they weren't 40 years ago, but I don't care enough to have it looked at. It's a little noisy for recording and a little bulky for gigging with so it's just kind of a fun oddity thing.

I have an old Hammond organ (happens to have a 1/4" aux-in jack, so I jam on it and let the kids mess with the keys) that came with a Leslie in it. I can definitely hear it spin up and run.

Like you said, a fun little oddity to have about.

flummox
Jul 17, 2004

Remulak posted:

How is the reverb on that?

Pretty good. It's got about 10 different models to pick from, and it's stereo, of course. The spring verbs are fairly convincing but I didn't use them much for recording.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

juche mane posted:

Yea, I knew it was a quirky, non-regular cab going in. Would work well with the sound I'm going for, though.

Good to know it's a bit loud. Could drown it out in recordings, I think.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Do you guys think a Dual Terror is overkill for bedroom + recording? I've had my sights on one for months but I'm beginning to think the 7 watt mode might even be too much for my uses.

Syndic
Jul 5, 2012

flummox posted:

I really like the Vox and the Blackheart mentioned. The Vox will get you a more usable tone at home-recording levels, but the Blackheart is much, much better made. VHT makes a fantastic little 6-watt head that is completely hand-wired and very tweakable. You can run any 6l6, 6v6, el34 or KT66 power tube with no mods. I tried the Blackheart and the VHT for my home recording project and they were both too loud to get power tube distortion without being very audible outside the house. I ended up building an isolation cab and stereo miking the VHT through that. I also extensively used a Vox Tonelab LE which, to be honest, worked at least as well and was orders of magnitude more flexible and convenient.

Interesting suggestion about the VHT - I've always been impressed by the tones from the big VHT stacks, so that's definitely on the radar now. Being able to get power tube distortion isn't the biggest concern for me - I've got a great selection of overdrive and fuzz pedals, so my number one priority is to get a nice, rich, clean tone with a decent amount of low end (since I'll be using it with single coil and electromatic pickups).

Thanks again!

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Syndic posted:

Interesting suggestion about the VHT - I've always been impressed by the tones from the big VHT stacks, so that's definitely on the radar now.

Keep in mind the current VHT company that makes the small tube combos has nothing to do with the former VHT, now called Fryette Amplification. He sold them the name, but kept control of all his designs. VHT is now a Chinese company making tube combos, and I can't attest to their quality.

Spagghentleman
Jan 1, 2013
I have a YCX12 1x12 cabinet. It has a Celestion Vintage 30, which is a 60w speaker, however the cabinet says 40w on the back. Is this to avoid overloading the speaker? Also, what is a decent head that will utilize the wattage of my speaker without overloading it? My 2 1/2 watt Vox LNT isn't exactly loud enough to use for gigs.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Kilometers Davis posted:

Do you guys think a Dual Terror is overkill for bedroom + recording? I've had my sights on one for months but I'm beginning to think the 7 watt mode might even be too much for my uses.

It's fine.

I have this at home

120 glorious 1980's watts into a 2x15 and 2x12 :v:

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Hypnolobster posted:

It's fine.

I have this at home

120 glorious 1980's watts into a 2x15 and 2x12 :v:

Ha, I just saw this go up on Facebook like 20 minutes ago.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Aaah I've been outed

flummox
Jul 17, 2004

Iucounu posted:

Keep in mind the current VHT company that makes the small tube combos has nothing to do with the former VHT, now called Fryette Amplification. He sold them the name, but kept control of all his designs. VHT is now a Chinese company making tube combos, and I can't attest to their quality.

This is true, and it's confusing. I was referring to the current 6-watt called something like "Special 6". It's not and doesn't in any way resemble a Fryette design; it's more like a single ended Champ circuit. It's hand wired on a turret board and the quality and components are absurdly good for something that cost $200 two years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

flummox posted:

This is true, and it's confusing. I was referring to the current 6-watt called something like "Special 6". It's not and doesn't in any way resemble a Fryette design; it's more like a single ended Champ circuit. It's hand wired on a turret board and the quality and components are absurdly good for something that cost $200 two years ago.

I wanted to get the vht 6 but no-one around me had one to try. I ended up getting a HT-1 and I'm pretty happy with it. I don't fiddle with my amp much (just my pedals) so I just wanted the smallest tube amp out. All of these little tube amps beat the hell out of the small solid state practice amps that were available when I started playing.