Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

You really feel it with Simmons because he's been around for basically the entire show. I'm not sad tho because this show's great at making up new villains and I'm looking forward to see who steps up to fill the Simmons void.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Zaggitz posted:

You really feel it with Simmons because he's been around for basically the entire show. I'm not sad tho because this show's great at making up new villains and I'm looking forward to see who steps up to fill the Simmons void.

Possibly Elias's friend Scarface. Elias has, thus far, been keeping on Team Machine's good side, but he's going to have to slip up at some point, especially since he's going to fill the power vacuum left by HR/the Russians disappearing. Alternatively, somebody else is going to take a crack at it and Elias can stay not-opposed to Team Machine.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Elias and his crew aren't people to stick their necks out, so the only way they become a threat is because Elias does something huge, which is not really his style. And Marconi (Scarface) has never been shown to be anything but loyal as hell. Would be interesting to see but they would have to start the fuse now seeing as it was never lit in the first place.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Sober posted:

Elias and his crew aren't people to stick their necks out, so the only way they become a threat is because Elias does something huge, which is not really his style.

Elias's end objective is probably still to take complete control of mob activities in the city, so he will have to start making bigger moves sooner or later.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Honestly, Elias is probably wary enough of Team Machine's mysterious ability to show up whenever people start getting murdered to know that as long as he keeps the killing to a minimum they'll never actually show up and bother him. The machine doesn't care if you break someone's legs, only if you kill them. You could keep them on.. cordial terms then - Elias being the lesser evil of all the various crime syndicates, and getting rid of him would make someone worse step in.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

That's sort of the best case scenario for Team Irrelevant, if the organized crime element of this world is now more or less under control it allows them to focus more on stuff like Decima and Vigilance.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Zaggitz posted:

That's sort of the best case scenario for Team Irrelevant, if the organized crime element of this world is now more or less under control it allows them to focus more on stuff like Decima and Vigilance.

That's what I'm suspecting will happen, if only because Decima, Vigilance, and Team Relevant is all next level poo poo that will bring the series to places it's been threatening to go for a long while (ever since "God is an American"). That's not to say that I have no interest in an Elias arc -- honestly, I'll eat whatever this show puts in front of me at this point, my trust in it is so high -- but from where I sit, it doesn't look like an Elias arc would tread any new ground.

Besides, if they keep Elias as a sidelined asset, that allows Enrico Colontini to do his own thing in Canada.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 1, 2013

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Still though, more Enrico Colontini in any capacity is a good thing.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

A colontini sounds like the worst possible drink you could order.

Captain Equinox
Sep 15, 2005

By day a mild-mannered college professor, by night Kiki, go-go dancer at the Pussycat Club. But twice a year, he's... CAPTAIN EQUINOX!

raditts posted:

A colontini sounds like the worst possible drink you could order.

Especially if you order it shaken, not stirred.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Guess that's what I get for C&Ping without a Google-assisted spellcheck.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

SpookyLizard posted:

poo poo, Lee Tergeson was last weeks? How did I notice him?

I was rewatching Generation Kill and I did a double when I realized Robert John Burke (Simmons) was playing General Mattis.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
So after forgetting about this show between seasons 1 and 2, I just caught up. It was spoiled for me before starting season 3 that Carter would die before the last episode, so I spent the entire season waiting for the hammer to drop. The entire penultimate episode was tense as hell, especially with all the happy moments near the end.

Good show.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm not sure you think this, but just in case - season 3 isn't over. This was less than halfway through as that was just the 10th episode out of 23.

Next episode is not until December 17 and then another break until January 7.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm not sure you think this, but just in case - season 3 isn't over. This was less than halfway through as that was just the 10th episode out of 23.

Next episode is not until December 17 and then another break until January 7.

Yeah, I was aware. Figured it was as good a time as any to catch up, though I have no idea how the second half of the season can top that.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

V-Men posted:

I was rewatching Generation Kill and I did a double when I realized Robert John Burke (Simmons) was playing General Mattis.

Oh poo poo how did I not make that connection?

(unrelated I met Chance Kelly at starbucks last month. blew my goddamned mind)

chesh
Apr 19, 2004

That was terrible.
I just finished catching up, and wanted to pop in and say that the music choices in this show continue to be loving superb. The last episode, opening with Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt was tremendous, but then they topped it by using Digitalism in the shootout. TOPPED IT.

Someone way cooler than me should find a way to blend "I'm Afraid of Americans" with "Miami Showdown" like was done with the Peter Gunn theme and "Every Breath You Take" on The Sopranos.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Okay. I just caught up with this show after being overworked since the episode where Reese lets the two murderous married lawyers kill each other. I will contain my thoughts to the most recent three parter, although let me say that the episode with the Root and Shaw team-up was awesome.

Starting off with an episode that was only great, the final two parts were nothing short of fantastic. Despite the previews I had seen while trying not to spoil myself, I had a feeling that they wouldn't be so obvious as to kill Fusco. While network executives are sometimes that stupid, I was confident that the people behind this show were throwing the audience some misdirection. However, for a good fifteen minutes, I really had no idea who was going to die. All I knew was that Reese was going to survive (again, I was accidentally spoilered by a preview during a different show). But it seemed that anyone other than Root in her lockup was in a position to catch a bullet at any moment. For a brief second, I even wondered if Finch was going to be killed and Reese would have no choice but to trust Root with the Machine. I then wondered if I was wrong about network executives, this show, and stupid previews when they made Fusco say goodbye to his son on the phone and Shaw told him she wasn't coming for him (Needless to say, I cheered at his extreme badassery). The whole preceding episode had foreshadowed Carter's death hard, so when she managed to get Quinn to the FBI, I was pretty surprised. But then as soon as things started moving quickly again, and Carter had called Finch out on the Machine, I knew she was going to get the Kate Todd treatment. Even then, the way the scene played out, with the phone ringing and Finch having his back turned for the shots (the look on Michael Emerson's face was agonizing to watch), plus how they had Simmons hit Reese as well, I thought it was done a lot better than when NCIS went the same route. The only real complaints I have about the episode are that Carter figured out the Machine (I get that it was set up with her technology line at the Judge's house in the first part of the story, but it still seemed cheap and an obvious nod to the fact that her character was about to die) and the sudden elevation of the Reese and Carter relationship that came out of left field (though I may rethink my position on this and it's interesting that it was completely unscripted).

The third part was absolutely brilliant. I liked how Reese still intended to kill Quinn but the gun jammed, but the thing that really blew me away was Kevin Chapman's acting at the end. That man deserves a loving Emmy. I went from a :aaa: moment when he was talking to the therapist in the flashback to being brought to tears when he was railing about how he was better than that because of Carter. His decision to arrest Simmons was the best scene of this show all season, and Fusco's best scene period.

I never saw the end with Elias coming, though. But it was a superb way to give Simmons what was coming to him, and Elias's speech was incredibly well delivered.

Gordon Shumway fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 4, 2013

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Was that Variety blind item about an actor shopping a pilot secretly because his character hadn't been killed off yet ever traced to anyone? Or was it about Carter and the rumor got the gender wrong?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

jscolon2.0 posted:

Was that Variety blind item about an actor shopping a pilot secretly because his character hadn't been killed off yet ever traced to anyone? Or was it about Carter and the rumor got the gender wrong?

I was hoping it's actually (boardwalk empire spoiler :siren:) Jack Huston cause goddamn does he need to star in something :allears:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

jscolon2.0 posted:

It could have been Ron Pearlman from an FX show

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Hi guys, just thought I'd check in and see what's been happening...

Oh my.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
A friend told me that he considered Elias to be 'Keith Mars gone bad'. He was right.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

A friend told me that he considered Elias to be 'Keith Mars gone bad'. He was right.
As someone who hasn't seen any of Veronica Mars but who now loves Enrico Colantoni, does he get to flex his acting chops this much in that show? Alternately what "Canadian projects" can I check out to get more of him while we are on hiatus?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Flashpoint is his big one, it ran for quite a few years. Beyond that yeah, he has great on Veronica Mars.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I first saw him in Flashpoint which is a Canadian police procedural-type show about (essentially) a SWAT team.

e;fb

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Don't forget Just Shoot Me.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

hollylolly posted:

Don't forget Just Shoot Me.

I didn't, that's the reason I had no idea he was such an amazing actor!

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I'll always see him as Mathazar from Galaxy Quest.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Sub Rosa posted:

As someone who hasn't seen any of Veronica Mars but who now loves Enrico Colantoni, does he get to flex his acting chops this much in that show? Alternately what "Canadian projects" can I check out to get more of him while we are on hiatus?

Veronica Mars is awesome and he is really good in that.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Kai Tave posted:

I first saw him in Flashpoint which is a Canadian police procedural-type show about (essentially) a SWAT team.

e;fb
Flashpoint is fantastic in that it's not all about the shooty-shooty bang bang. I mean it has it but that's not the central focus for a show about a SWAT team. So yeah I was kinda apprehensive that he was going to play a bad guy (since I only knew him from Flashpoint) but yeah he makes a pretty menacing mob dude.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Flashpoint is the most Canadian show about a SWAT team ever, whenever they actually have to shoot someone it isn't a "gently caress yeah, awesome!" moment, it's presented as a failure to resolve things peacefully through negotiation. Also man, it can be one of the most depressing shows.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Found this piece of magic on youtube, 80's style Opening Credits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elCGJ5rfe24

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I saw this show before Veronica Mars and it took me at least have the season to get used to him as Keith Mars. Any confrontation he got into I just expected him to call in a hit or do something violent.

After watching Veronica Mars I wanted to hug Elias whenever he was on screen and I now don't believe he can really be that bad. I mean...look at that face! :3:

Of all the TV dads, I'd pick Keith Mars as mine.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

Zaggitz posted:

Found this piece of magic on youtube, 80's style Opening Credits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elCGJ5rfe24

You know when you say "Jeesus CHRIST!" in disgust and laugh at the same time? Yes, this.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006

beanieson posted:

I was hoping it's actually (boardwalk empire spoiler :siren:) Jack Huston cause goddamn does he need to star in something :allears:

The spoilered character has a large role in Kill Your Darlings, if you want to see him in a feature.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
The last episode was probably the best they've had and there have been some great ones along the way. Elias was the icing on the cake, not just for being one of the show's strongest guest actors but that the show's verisimilitude was intact because of course he'd want to avenge Carter. Having started watching again from season 1 it's impressive how much was plotted out from the start given the general episodic/everything self-contained nature of most US television.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Press release for the next ep is online and circulating, but as usual I like to save posting those for when I do my heads up posts.

I figure this will be a sufficient teaser for now.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President
The thing I'm curious about is how Reese is going to be acting from now on. In The Devil's Share, he had revenge to devote himself to and influencing his actions. What's he going to be like now that the object of his revenge is dead, without him even getting to see Simmons die?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Reese will learn necromancy so he can kill Simmons himself.

• Locked thread