Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lsp
Sep 1, 2008

Oh my glob. What the stuff are you doing?

Murvin posted:

Amory, fashion forward as always, sporting the new mech hats.

Hahaha what? This must have happen while I was afk. That is a fantastic bug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Daerc posted:

It's been up before, it's the blue one.

But amethysts are violet :(

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Freezing at character select with the "server may be unavailable" message. Doesn't actually seem to be down. Anyone else getting this error?

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Skull Dad posted:

Freezing at character select with the "server may be unavailable" message. Doesn't actually seem to be down. Anyone else getting this error?

Happens daily at 4am PST.

shut up gelly
Oct 27, 2011
found this in my screenshots folder

:stonk:

Green Cheeseburger
Dec 15, 2006
Could I get an invite for Sequel on Deepwood.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
I did not see this in the OP, but it could be somewhere else: is there a loophole to selling stuff in the Auction House without making a purchase with real money? I have 3 gathering professions and I am running out of room!

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

ScaerCroe posted:

I did not see this in the OP, but it could be somewhere else: is there a loophole to selling stuff in the Auction House without making a purchase with real money? I have 3 gathering professions and I am running out of room!

Buying and consuming rex in game will give you loyalty. I think it takes 2 of them to unlock you though, and that's like 2k plat.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
IIRC one REX gives 2500 loyalty and it only takes 1500 to get AH access, but getting enough plat for a REX without AH access may be hard.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

ScaerCroe posted:

You can buy XXXX (fragment, orb) of Loyalty from players or have someone buy them for you on the AH.

Those only give 5-50 loyalty when used, so you'll probably pay more and not get enough quickly but it is an option, too.

Its cheap though to unlock by buying credits; $5.00 = 750 credits = 1500 loyalty for purchasing. Then you'll get another 1500 when/as the 750 credits get spent.

shut up gelly
Oct 27, 2011
i love rift prison

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.
Well trying this out since the class system is cool as hell.

in game name Drscience.

King Dead
Apr 13, 2011

Does Rift ever reach a point where the game stops you and goes "Sorry, your lovely rear end build can't handle the game from here on out, go make a cookie cutter character and come back."

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

The game only "hard-stops" you from entering expert dungeons or raid zones that have a minimum amount of the "hit" stat required (300 hit I think for experts at level 60, it was 200 hit at level 50 for those expert dungeons), and possibly a minimum "main" stat (str for warriors, int for mages, etc).

No other content in the open world stops you from attempting it due to gear.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
But it can be a bit frustrating riding past someone attempting a great hunt rift mk V (or whatever they're called) or killing the last boss of an event, and finding out that you only ever manage to actually hit once every couple of hundred shots.

King Dead
Apr 13, 2011

As long as it's just gear that holds you back from end-game stuff and not having a sub-optimal spec, then I'm fine with that. (Though I hope they follow WoW in getting rid of hit rating soon)

shut up gelly
Oct 27, 2011

King Dead posted:

As long as it's just gear that holds you back from end-game stuff and not having a sub-optimal spec, then I'm fine with that. (Though I hope they follow WoW in getting rid of hit rating soon)

suboptimal builds will most definitely hold you back if youre raiding. endgame is most definitely about min/maxing to the fullest extent possible.

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.
So i rolled mage and after checking out the healing tree its seems its mostly "hurt stuff to heal" which i like... but it makes me think they wont be that effective as a "main healer" for dungeons and raids and what have you.
At some point do they ever get a direct heal without a cooldown?

LordNat
May 16, 2009
Can you toss an invite for me. Name: Elonya

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

shut up gelly posted:

suboptimal builds will most definitely hold you back if youre raiding. endgame is most definitely about min/maxing to the fullest extent possible.

That said, each class seems to have a few options. I can only speak for mages, but there are 4+ viable raiding dps builds. There are lots of builds you can run if you are good at it and not part of a tryhard progression guild.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Double Monocle posted:

So i rolled mage and after checking out the healing tree its seems its mostly "hurt stuff to heal" which i like... but it makes me think they wont be that effective as a "main healer" for dungeons and raids and what have you.

Chloros are great healers because they can do damage, heal, and have bus to help the raid. There is only maybe one spot where you need healing but don't have a target, and that's only if Crucia flies away while orbital strike is happening
Chloro is really good

King Dead
Apr 13, 2011

shut up gelly posted:

That.. stinks. Half the reason I got into this game in the first place is the ability to mix n match whatever with whatever. Guess I could make my meta game into how far I can verge off the beaten path and not get kicked out of raids.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Double Monocle posted:

The only thing Chloros lack is a spammable group heal when there is nothing to target. Otherwise they make excellent tank healers and pretty good group healers, with the added benefit of being able to swap between the two mid-fight. Our raid always has at least one chloro, sometimes 2 or 3.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
My Cleric will be approaching 50 soon. What is the absolute best spec for blazing from 50-60 as fast as possible? Should I just stick with IA's and dungeons or is it worth it to quest?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Eltoasto posted:

The only thing Chloros lack is a spammable group heal when there is nothing to target. Otherwise they make excellent tank healers and pretty good group healers, with the added benefit of being able to swap between the two mid-fight. Our raid always has at least one chloro, sometimes 2 or 3.

Basically to add to this - Chloros are the baseline healers that you adjust raid comps around - cleric healers are added and adjusted to what the fight needs.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Skull Dad posted:

My Cleric will be approaching 50 soon. What is the absolute best spec for blazing from 50-60 as fast as possible? Should I just stick with IA's and dungeons or is it worth it to quest?

I use this spec for levelling/soloing and there are maybe faster builds but with this one you won't die unless you do something way over your head.

"Lazy druid 2.3"
http://forums.riftgame.com/game-dis...titive-dps.html

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
Chloro healers also don't have any absorbs. If a tank can't get healed or their HP has been reduced due to a debuff they don't have many options, unlike a Purifier.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Oraculum Animi posted:

Chloro healers also don't have any absorbs. If a tank can't get healed or their HP has been reduced due to a debuff they don't have many options, unlike a Purifier.

There is no fight in which this is a requirement unless you're doing dumb stuff like solo tanking Cyril. (Ask me about doing dumb stuff.)

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

deimos posted:

There is no fight in which this is a requirement unless you're doing dumb stuff like solo tanking Cyril. (Ask me about doing dumb stuff.)

Can't you pretty much go 1 bard 0 heals with a geared cleric tank on Cyril now anyway? ~Just Defense~. You could probably go 1 Defiler 1 Tank for sure.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Zoness posted:

Can't you pretty much go 1 bard 0 heals with a geared cleric tank on Cyril now anyway? ~Just Defense~. You could probably go 1 Defiler 1 Tank for sure.

The AE on the tank hits pretty hard, needs a puri at least when at 10 stacks, can't just defense every one of them.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Yeah, the tank has 1 HP for a fair chunk. 1 puri 1 tank works, don't think defiler has much to do there.

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.
Thanks for the answers about chloro, I was worried I might end up being like a shadow priest from wow instead of a big boy healer.

That aside, im kinda running out of steam at 24. Whats the best way to level? Quests kinda drag on and whenever I do instant adventure it puts me in stuff 10 levels under me.

Oh, also, will I have to buy content to do raids or dungeons?
If so.. where? I checked the cash shop for stuff like souls and zones and didnt see anything.

Double Monocle fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 1, 2013

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

StumblyWumbly posted:

Yeah, the tank has 1 HP for a fair chunk. 1 puri 1 tank works, don't think defiler has much to do there.

It's a buffer, 30% less damage taken on the tank is good, also if the puri gets MCed there's a cooldown.

Thistledown
Dec 18, 2009

Double Monocle posted:

That aside, im kinda running out of steam at 24. Whats the best way to level? Quests kinda drag on and whenever I do instant adventure it puts me in stuff 10 levels under me.

If so.. where? I checked the cash shop for stuff like souls and zones and didnt see anything.

If you're burned out on quests, hit up IAs. Even if they put you in a mentored group, you're getting level-appropriate XP for each IA quest and the kill XP is solid too. While doing IAs, sit in a dungeon queue. Try your hand at some warfronts, they're solid XP gain too and a big change of pace. If you do all that, you might just want to take a break for a bit.

I also find that switching roles radically helps a lot when I get burned out. Playing bladedancer while solo, ranger in groups, and barding when in warfronts brings a fresh breath every time I have to change mental gears.

e: Forgot the last bit. No world content is locked out, and there is one soul for each calling that is behind a paywall. For mages like yourself, it's the harbinger, a melee soul. The others are tempest for warrior, a ranged soul; tactician for rogue, a toolbox techmage thinger; and defiler for cleric, a healing thing that uses mechanics I don't understand.

Thistledown fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Dec 1, 2013

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

deimos posted:

It's a buffer, 30% less damage taken on the tank is good, also if the puri gets MCed there's a cooldown.

Yeah, defiler is useful, I just don't think a defiler could single heal Cyril because eventually you're trying to prevent the tank from taking 1 point of damage. Maybe the timing would work out, but I'm pretty sure I puri'd it when we got rapid assault.

Double Monocle posted:

I think the expansion souls are listed under services, and one purchase gets you all the souls. Mages get Harbinger, which does melee dps and is supposed to be great for leveling, but folks won't boot you from raids for not having harb.

You don't need to buy a drat thing to do raids/dungeons.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

King Dead posted:

Does Rift ever reach a point where the game stops you and goes "Sorry, your lovely rear end build can't handle the game from here on out, go make a cookie cutter character and come back."
A lot of the souls are pigeonholed into one spec pretty badly just by the trees themselves. On Cleric for instance, the Shaman 61-pointer and Inquisitor 58-pointer are about a third of your DPS so there's basically no way to make a Shaman or Inquisitor spec worth a poo poo without going that deep.

There have been a few exceptions like the Paragon/Tempest thing that just got nerfed, but those are pretty accidental these days and Trion seems pretty intent on making 61-pointers the best at everything except for grinding or PvP specs that need to mix damage with survivability.

StumblyWumbly posted:

Yeah, defiler is useful, I just don't think a defiler could single heal Cyril because eventually you're trying to prevent the tank from taking 1 point of damage. Maybe the timing would work out, but I'm pretty sure I puri'd it when we got rapid assault.
Defiler timing should be pretty loose since they have an off-GCD ability that pops Foul Growth.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

OneEightHundred posted:

Defiler timing should be pretty loose since they have an off-GCD ability that pops Foul Growth.

We are talking about single tanking Cyril specifically, which you've clearly not attempted or you'd know how stupid this statement is.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

deimos posted:

Kyzan has a mechanic where the tank can't be healed. Matriarch reduces the tank's max HP pretty low. Those are the two I can think of where a Purifier would be stronger than a Chloro healer, admittedly we do AoE Chloro heal the hell out of Matriarch.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Double Monocle posted:

I find that once you're around level 30 doing pickup groups as a Chloro healer absolutely sucks. The tank often doesn't target anything and if they're not brilliantly geared or not tank geared at all (this will happen a lot) you're just not equipped to heal them in the same way as a cleric.

I'm sure they're fine in preconstructed groups and raids but I absolutely hated doing any sort of healing with them in pickups and quickly dropped my Chloromancer spec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

Oraculum Animi posted:

Kyzan has a mechanic where the tank can't be healed. Matriarch reduces the tank's max HP pretty low. Those are the two I can think of where a Purifier would be stronger than a Chloro healer, admittedly we do AoE Chloro heal the hell out of Matriarch.

For Kyzan, burning the beacon quick means that the stacks on the tank are more frequently relevant than the time period where you're not able to heal them. That's why we 2 heal it, anyway. Matriarch is largely irrelevant since her big tank damage ability only starts to get dangerous at 4 or 5 stacks, and a rogue tank could likely survive 8 stacks (where regular attacks start getting dangerous) with planebound aegis, scatter the shadows or defy death (I know the former 2 worked back when I only had ~68k HP, and the latter is typically stronger than aegis when it will definitely proc, so it should be fine as well).

There's also Reggie for fights with max HP reduction, and I know I can't survive certain mechanics without proper use of a CD when I take the full 8 stacks at the start of the second burn phase, and we do that because it's easier for me to just use my CDs properly than it is for our healers to try healing 3 tanks with 5-6 stacks each when only one tanks stacks are gonna drop during tentacle phase. Well that and realistically I'm only gonna use the CDs then and during the final burn phase, so it's not super important to try to keep them.

• Locked thread