Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

whatever7 posted:

Why wouldn't they have the same shutter component?

Don't ask me, ask Sony. All I can say is that the A7R is a harsh double-stroke while the A7 is a quieter single stroke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Elliotw2 posted:

Apparently the A7r doesn't have the electric front shutter, for whatever dumb reason.
Same reason it doesn't have hybrid PDAF: it's a different sensor (i would guess d800e-derived) shoehorned into the same body.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
More good news for FujiFilm clients, they are still improving our cameras!

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/11/28/fujifilm-to-update-firmware-for-x-pro1-x-e2-x-e1-and-x100s-again

quote:

Quick summary of key changes:

- Ability to edit the file name of shots taken in-camera
- Improvements made to the in-camera RAW file converter process
- More precise display of the exposure setting in live-view and histogram*
- Improved playback view and file numbering for continuous shooting*
- Ability to change aperture and shutter speed in AE lock*
- Setting of the max and default ISO and minimum shutter speed in ISO AUTO*
- Improve the cover range and accuracy of the bright frame in the OVF**
* Already implemented on X-E2
** X-Pro1 and X100S only

The minimum shutter speed in auto ISO is one that has been requested for a long time. I'm still amazed that they keep improving their old product instead of making me buy a new camera body every year to get the latest features.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

RustedChrome posted:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/11/28/fujifilm-to-update-firmware-for-x-pro1-x-e2-x-e1-and-x100s-again

The minimum shutter speed in auto ISO is one that has been requested for a long time. I'm still amazed that they keep improving their old product instead of making me buy a new camera body every year to get the latest features.

Man, this company. How could I not want to give them my money?

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
What, nothing for the X100?
Not happy...

rio
Mar 20, 2008

MeKeV posted:

What, nothing for the X100?
Not happy...

Are you being serious? Just the fact that we got 2.0 is a big step towards supporting older hardware - we can't get everything with an older model if a camera.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

rio posted:

Are you being serious? Just the fact that we got 2.0 is a big step towards supporting older hardware - we can't get everything with an older model if a camera.

:whisper: Not serious :P

:)

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

RustedChrome posted:

Fuji owns so much :hellyeah:

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
So glad I went with the X-E1 now. Minimum shutter speed in auto ISO will help me out so much when shooting my kids indoors. Such a great camera.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

RustedChrome posted:

Finally, all my shots can be taken at useful shutter speeds rather than 1/52s. Why was this the default????

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Aargh posted:

Finally, all my shots can be taken at useful shutter speeds rather than 1/52s. Why was this the default????

It's a very unpopular shutter speed. Maybe Fuji felt sorry for it and was trying to give it a boost. :iiam:

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

same

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

RustedChrome posted:

Yesssssssssss

Minimum shutter speed is basically the last UI tweak I wanted.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Aargh posted:

their dumb auto-iso was based on some alien version of the sunny 16 rules and it was dumb and I hated their auto iso. I am glad that they are finally giving us the ability to set teh loving min shutter speed instead of giving us what it is currently.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I ordered the EVF for the NEX-F3 and it's really great. It also has the side effect of making it so that you actually use the camera on a sunny day.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
This was posted on the 3DCG thread but relevant here too. Photoshop and Lightroom are $9.99 a month for a year on adobe.com right now. Deal is only good till tomorrow.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

That's a really good deal but I still feel weird subscribing to software as opposed to buying it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

keyframe posted:

This was posted on the 3DCG thread but relevant here too. Photoshop and Lightroom are $9.99 a month for a year on adobe.com right now. Deal is only good till tomorrow.

Righteous :toot:

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Friend of mine wants to buy her husband a camera for Christmas that he can play around with. My usual answer in this situation is used 40D, kit lens, and a 50 1.8 or something, but nowadays with all the fancy mirrorless things I figure there are a few more options.

Any recommendations for a system that fits:

Under $400 initially -- a good kit-range lens would probably be fine for them right now.
Decent in low-light
Shoots video
Would let him grow if he really enjoyed it (decent lens selection, maybe a decent swivel/bounce flash, at reasonable prices)

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
A used NEX 5N will crush the 40D in image quality.

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009
I bought a NEX 5r a few months ago with just the kit lens and I was pretty underwhelmed with its image quality. At first I thought it was just my inexperienced brain being biased compared to my 6d...but no matter which way I looked at them, the images were all flat and bland. I got the sigma 30mm 2.8 this past week and holy crap it is so much better than the kit lens. It makes this camera enjoyable finally. Pictures are actually sharp and colorful now. It isn't that much smaller than the kit, but I think it's just small enough to justify taking it on trips out and about and being happy I don't have a dslr with me all the time.

So...yeah if you are using the kit lens on the NEX system ditch that crap and try this lens.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Christmas Time for Me! Am I buying the

http://www.adorama.com/IFJXE1SK.html?utm_term=Other&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=rflaid63773

Or any one of the ebay bundles for X100S and a few extras that clock in around 1100?

This'll be my first digital camera other than my phone. Currently I mostly just take walk-around pictures of people and stuff I see on a Minolta X-570 with a 35MM prime.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Either would serve you fine, but the XE will be more flexible (obviously). Also you could get a prime with the rest of the money.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I'm mostly concerned with if the difference between the X-trans 1 and X-trans 2 is going to become a sticking point. Also the OVF/EVF vs EVF thing. I've never even used a camera with an LCD on the back so this is something I have 0 grasp on how much it matters to me.

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

You can view them in person at a shop and see what you like. Just keep in mind that the firmware may not be up to date.

I bought the x-e1 from adorama on friday for $900. It had 6% back in a gift card for adorama and was able to use a referal rebate site for 2%. Probably will just grab a case with the money.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

daspope posted:

You can view them in person at a shop and see what you like. Just keep in mind that the firmware may not be up to date.

I bought the x-e1 from adorama on friday for $900. It had 6% back in a gift card for adorama and was able to use a referal rebate site for 2%. Probably will just grab a case with the money.

I wish I lived near stores that carried stuff like the x-line. I'm lucky there is a shop that sells/repairs used gear as well as has a staff that at least knows that they exist.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

I'm mostly concerned with if the difference between the X-trans 1 and X-trans 2 is going to become a sticking point. Also the OVF/EVF vs EVF thing. I've never even used a camera with an LCD on the back so this is something I have 0 grasp on how much it matters to me.

I haven't used an X-trans 2 body so I can't comment on that, but I have owned both an X100 and X-E1 and I find the EVF on the X-E1 is more than capable. Ultimately I picked up the X-E1 instead of the X100S because of the flexibility with lenses.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Digital Jesus posted:

I haven't used an X-trans 2 body so I can't comment on that, but I have owned both an X100 and X-E1 and I find the EVF on the X-E1 is more than capable. Ultimately I picked up the X-E1 instead of the X100S because of the flexibility with lenses.

Actual performance differences between the X-trans 2 and 1 aren't that much, with the exception of daylight focusing speeds on the XT2 being noticably better due to PDAF

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Digital Jesus posted:

I think I'll be grabbing the X-E1 off Adorama, anyone able to speak to if the New Leaf extended warranty is worth it? 3 years including drops/spills for less than $50 seems super reasonable, but I'm always sketched out by extended warranty offers.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I just thought of something Fuji should add to their firmware - the ability to remap your own dead sensor pixels. I need to find a time after the Holidays and before storm season to send it in for this reason. Other cameras have this built into the firmware don't they?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Helicity posted:

I just thought of something Fuji should add to their firmware - the ability to remap your own dead sensor pixels. I need to find a time after the Holidays and before storm season to send it in for this reason. Other cameras have this built into the firmware don't they?

Yes. Even if you don't have a menu option the camera will probably do it automatically after a certain amount of time (x number of reboots or something).

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Helicity posted:

I returned my first X100 after a week because it had a hot pixel that wouldn't go away. The second one made a weird noise when it focused. The third one was just right. No problems with the X100s either (knock on wood)

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Played with a A7 + kit lens at a photo store.

Build is great, weight is great. The LCD and EVF are both great, sony makes incredible EVF's. The shutter sound was not loud at all, the videos all make it sound way louder than it is in real life.

Focus accuracy was pretty bad with the kit lens, Definitely not fast to focus either. That kit lens is utter poo poo so the primes might be better. The kit lens was pretty loving huge, basically don't get the kit lens unless you like wasting money.

It didn't make me want to sell my XE-1 but I am pretty excited for the future iterations of the A7. Might jump on board in a year or two.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Helicity posted:

I don't have any on the X100 or X-Pro 1 but the GRD IV has three. Since they're always in the same place what I did was make a .PSD using a sample image as the background and added a new layer above it and used a square brush about 2 pixels bigger than the hot spots to make a selectable mask. Now all I have to do is shift-drag that layer on top of any photo from that camera I'm working on and control click that layer to select the masked areas and content aware fill on the photo. Works every time.

It's pretty painless but you could probably make a one click Photoshop action that does it all for you. Disregard if you don't use Photoshop I guess.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

ThisQuietReverie posted:

I don't have any on the X100 or X-Pro 1 but the GRD IV has three. Since they're always in the same place what I did was make a .PSD using a sample image as the background and added a new layer above it and used a square brush about 2 pixels bigger than the hot spots to make a selectable mask. Now all I have to do is shift-drag that layer on top of any photo from that camera I'm working on and control click that layer to select the masked areas and content aware fill on the photo. Works every time.

It's pretty painless but you could probably make a one click Photoshop action that does it all for you. Disregard if you don't use Photoshop I guess.

This is a great solution and what I'll probably end up doing, but you have to admit it's still a pain in the rear end.

I noticed mine after doing a bunch of 15 second exposures trying to get a glassy lake surface to look just right and then playing with star trails. The next day: 2 hot pink pixels on the sensor. Does anyone incorporate a "cool down" period into their shooting while doing long exposures?

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Helicity posted:

This is a great solution and what I'll probably end up doing, but you have to admit it's still a pain in the rear end.

I noticed mine after doing a bunch of 15 second exposures trying to get a glassy lake surface to look just right and then playing with star trails. The next day: 2 hot pink pixels on the sensor. Does anyone incorporate a "cool down" period into their shooting while doing long exposures?

Fuji fixes these free of charge outside of shipping/insurance costs, if its under warranty. Tel 800-800-3854 digitalinfo@fujifilm.com You may not even have to pay shipping costs if you state your case nicely and dont goon up the person on the phone. Turn around is about 7 days. If it is in fact a stuck pixel. All they are going to do is map it out, nothing special. They should have included that in the firmware to automap them out after so many shots.

Musket fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 3, 2013

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
It looks like I might actually have enough money to buy an A7 some time in the new year. I swear to god, if it's everything I hope it is, I'm finally going to ditch my EOS gear. I haven't touched my 40D or Rebel since I got my NEX 5N except for the odd "drat, look how huge this camera is" comparison. Now the debate is whether to get the A7 body only and save up more for the 35mm f/2.8 or just get the body with kit lens, which I figure would be useful if I went on a trip or something plus it would be useful for shooting at smaller apertures since it's stabilized. I already have a collection of OM glass that I've been using with the 5N.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

My local camera shop has yet to get delivery of my A7, hopefully they will call soon. I got the 35mm lens for it from an online seller already. It's really light and has that weird hood on it. I can't wait to have a camera to mount it on!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Apparently the kit isn't so hot?

Also $800 for a 35/2.8 that's good but not great is pretty laffo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

Apparently the kit isn't so hot?

Also $800 for a 35/2.8 that's good but not great is pretty laffo.

Lets not kick a man while he is down.