Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

So I just learned you can repent away the sin of kinslaying as a catholic.

...It was kind of cheap, too. I did it because it was the AI who decided to kill their 60-year old dad so they can inherit a title. Even AFTER I gave my heir his county.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Rejected Fate posted:

So I just learned you can repent away the sin of kinslaying as a catholic.
For an absolutely fantastic amount of money, and only if the pope really likes you.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Annath posted:

Also, repeating my question re: a legit Roman Empire, does it exist in mod form?

The base game lets you reform the Roman Empire if you start as the Byzzies, as long as you have Legacy of Rome.

e; Oh, I assume you mean with new decisions and titles and stuff? I think I've seen that around. The Ancient Religions mod helps if you want to be Hellenistic.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?723276-Roma-Victor-a-Roman-culture-mod That might have some of what you're after as well. forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?697074-MOD-Imperium-Graecorum-Aristocracy-and-Bureaucracy too, if only it were updated. :(

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 1, 2013

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
I got my bother installed as an Arch-Bishop, but my idiot vassals kept voting for him in Tanistry. He ended up auto-divorcing his wife and I thought losing title claims came with that. Should I try killing him and other dudes now so my genius 28 dip 20 stewardship daughter can take over?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Arbitrary Coin posted:

I got my bother installed as an Arch-Bishop, but my idiot vassals kept voting for him in Tanistry. He ended up auto-divorcing his wife and I thought losing title claims came with that. Should I try killing him and other dudes now so my genius 28 dip 20 stewardship daughter can take over?

That, or strip his titles and either play as him or force him to become a monk.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

DrSunshine sorry if I've missed it, but which version of CK2 is Sonendar currently updated for? I've got a couple of nonfunctional decisions called things like "effect" and "hidden_tooltip", and demanding religious conversion can be met with acceptance, but no change in religion. Aside from that it's all working perfectly as far as I can tell, which is why I'm not just assuming I'm a patch ahead of where I should be. Anyway if I am, just ignore this, if not, minor bugs reported to you.

Very happy to see Sonendar going again, it's one of my favorites.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Mister Adequate posted:

DrSunshine sorry if I've missed it, but which version of CK2 is Sonendar currently updated for? I've got a couple of nonfunctional decisions called things like "effect" and "hidden_tooltip", and demanding religious conversion can be met with acceptance, but no change in religion. Aside from that it's all working perfectly as far as I can tell, which is why I'm not just assuming I'm a patch ahead of where I should be. Anyway if I am, just ignore this, if not, minor bugs reported to you.

Very happy to see Sonendar going again, it's one of my favorites.

Oh no! It's supposed to be for the latest version, 2.01, and I don't see the broken decisions. Hmm. About demanding religious conversions, I'll see about that. Someone else reported it, but I'm not sure how to go about fixing that since I'm not entirely sure if it's based on events or some hardcoded thing. I'll figure it out!

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
After a lot of trial and error, my Byzantine Empire is metastasizing like a great purple cancer, and actually making it through succession without being ripped about by internal power grabs.

I think 'I've developed a pretty good understanding of how to keep my vassals under control and pass on my legacy, but some mechanics elude me. Like Jihads. They're always so power that it seems like cheating. One second, I don't see anything. A week after some caliph declares the Jihad, suddenly there's 40 thousand soldier all over Anatolia. How do they raise such huge armies and move them into my domain so quickly?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

How do they raise such huge armies and move them into my domain so quickly?

Great Holy Wars have two special mechanics that allow the attackers to put up extra troops. For one, both a high-level ruler and his vassals can both join the war independently. So the emir of Bumfuckistan can send his troops, while the sultan of the Whateverrid Sultanate can also send his levies from the emir of Bumfuckistan. Also, if you join your religion's great holy war, all of your vassals will like you better, so they'll give you more levies.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
So, I just won the Holy Land. Not too hard when you've been running the HRE, as it turns out. My question is:

Now what do I do with it? I mean the neighborhood isn't very friendly, and while I sort of control Italy as the Emperor I don't own the actual kingdom, so getting everybody out of Germany onto the few ships available to me and through the Mediterranean takes forever and when I left it was like catnip for sneaky Lollard doomstacks. I tried dumping the whole Holy Land kingdom on an ambitious German Prince-Bishop who's been a thorn in my side, but the title wasn't available from the list. I can't even hand it off to the Pope, which is sort of surprising.

My aim in this game (before now I've played as Ireland) is to create either a stable Germany or a Max Authority HRE and use the converter to make Germany a super land power in EU IV, which I just bought during the recent sale. So I figured I'd go stick my current ruler's toe on the beach and sail back to get the Crusader trait but since factions were at an all-time low decided "hell with it" and threw my entire force at Jerusalem and its suburbs. A few 15k on 15k fights later and I had something like 66% of the contributions and a brand new time-share. I just... don't really want it now as it's at the rear end-end of the Mediterranean. Do I just shrug and say "welp" next time there's a Jihad, or is there something more interesting I can do with it? I'd like it to stay Christian and Catholic, I just don't want to babysit it myself.

I'd make an awful Zionist.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Cease to Hope posted:

For an absolutely fantastic amount of money, and only if the pope really likes you.

Actually, I think my Ziani Patrician got it for free.

Has it always been in the game, or did they add it for SoA? It seems like a leftover from the original CK2.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
Playing as a Byzantine Doux, started a war to usurp a neighboring county which I had already occupied because the owner was involved in one of the many civil wars to replace the Basileus, start with 0 warscore. :shrug:

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

DrSunshine posted:

Oh no! It's supposed to be for the latest version, 2.01, and I don't see the broken decisions. Hmm. About demanding religious conversions, I'll see about that. Someone else reported it, but I'm not sure how to go about fixing that since I'm not entirely sure if it's based on events or some hardcoded thing. I'll figure it out!

Also, it completely crashes for me as soon as I start the game after picking a character. My only data point is that the back-trace after the segmentation fault handler mentions trying to get the succession type when trying to compute the elected successor.

If I can get it to work, I'll report back how to fix it.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'm on Linux.
EDIT2: There's a lot of using \ as the path separator instead of /, but fixing that hasn't been enough.
EDIT3: Current hypothesis is that it's file name case sensitivity and a history file isn't being used.

Edison was a dick fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Dec 1, 2013

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Holy. loving. poo poo.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

DrSunshine posted:

Oh no! It's supposed to be for the latest version, 2.01, and I don't see the broken decisions. Hmm.

That particular problem can happen if there's an extra bracket in a decisions file (because then it will read the effect/whatever blocks as new decisions and hilarity will ensue). Check with a text editor that can do bracket matching like Notepad++, maybe?

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Edison was a dick posted:

Also, it completely crashes for me as soon as I start the game after picking a character. My only data point is that the back-trace after the segmentation fault handler mentions trying to get the succession type when trying to compute the elected successor.

If I can get it to work, I'll report back how to fix it.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'm on Linux.
EDIT2: There's a lot of using \ as the path separator instead of /, but fixing that hasn't been enough.
EDIT3: Current hypothesis is that it's file name case sensitivity and a history file isn't being used.

I'm getting this same problem on Windows :L

Breichfrast
Nov 5, 2008

Antinumeric posted:

I'm getting this same problem on Windows :L

I had the same problem, for some reason turning off Sons of Abraham fixed it for me. Still getting the broken decisions, though.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Hm, for which cultures are you getting the broken decisions? Or do they appear for all?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Drone posted:

Holy. loving. poo poo.

yessss demon spawn ruler. go nuts and enjoy it.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Excelzior posted:

Is this in the vanilla game, or a mod? I've had my dude become possessed, but not like this...

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Annath posted:

Is this in the vanilla game, or a mod? I've had my dude become possessed, but not like this...

Added in Sons of Abraham. (Or possibly the patch? Not sure.)

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

It's an SoA event.

If you don't mind cheating, you can trigger the chain from the console with "event SoA.3000"

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Breichfrast posted:

I had the same problem, for some reason turning off Sons of Abraham fixed it for me. Still getting the broken decisions, though.

This fixed it! Hmm hopefully it hasnt broken anything else.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
What are the triggers for that event?

i.e. could it happen to a Merchant Republic?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

alcaras posted:

What are the triggers for that event?

i.e. could it happen to a Merchant Republic?

Child under 3, not inbred, not Pagan. 500 year MTTH (exceedingly rare), much faster if you have Possesed, Cruel, Lunatic or Impaler or any combination.

e: It COULD happen to a republic, but good luck getting the demon spawn elected.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Actually, I think my Ziani Patrician got it for free.

Has it always been in the game, or did they add it for SoA? It seems like a leftover from the original CK2.

It's been there as long as I can remember. It's another little non-obvious advantage of being Catholic.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

PleasingFungus posted:

I really need to get SoA. drat shame money's so tight that :10bux: on games is a no go right now.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
Inviting new people to my court to fill out new vassalages, or simply filling the position by right click? Is one better than the other? Besides the fact that inviting noble/holy men costs resources. I see it is a form of gambling. You might eventually get a better than average courtier after shilling out lots of gold or piety.

Also, is there any good reason to devolve my vassal, to become sub-vassals, unless those those first vassals hate me and i'm not getting much money or support from them?

Somehow, one single barony in the Prince-Bisphoric of Rome is controlled by the King of West Francia, and it's keeping me from mending the schism until I take it from him.

As a side note, the Emperor's wife really runs the show in this Roman Empire. That's pretty normal for the Byzantines.

RonJeremysBalzac fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 1, 2013

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Excelzior posted:

She ended up in a huge civil war pretty much immediately over her cousin's claim (a bishop). She won the war thanks to a large inheritance, but ALSO because an :black101: army led by a triumvirate of foreign witches :black101: spawned in my capital via event to help me out. The witches all have amazing stats and after the war were able to join my council despite being females (hello, spymaster with 37 intrigue score).

The only real downside is that my Witch-Queen is the wrong culture (Frankish) because of her tutor. Is there any way to switch this back to Scottish outside of cheating, or should I just give my kids to Scottish tutors and hope the next generation converts back?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Sonendar 1.05.4

Hopefully this fixes some things!

It turned out that there was a problem in one of the files for The Republic, actually -- the Republic Dynastic feud event chain. Someone had written a [ when there was supposed to be a {! Now I don't know how that got there, because I certainly never messed with it.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

DrSunshine posted:

Sonendar 1.05.4

Hopefully this fixes some things!

It turned out that there was a problem in one of the files for The Republic, actually -- the Republic Dynastic feud event chain. Someone had written a [ when there was supposed to be a {! Now I don't know how that got there, because I certainly never messed with it.

Does your mod work with/without any DLC?
I don't have SoA, but I'd like to try Sonedar.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Annath posted:

Does your mod work with/without any DLC?
I don't have SoA, but I'd like to try Sonedar.

It doesn't require any of them, but it does have some realms that are classified as "Muslim" (only technically, it's for the Muslim interface and shields), and a lot of small trade republics. So you'll be able to play most of the realms on the map except for those.

Also some have reported bugs when playing with SoA turned on.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

DrSunshine posted:

It doesn't require any of them, but it does have some realms that are classified as "Muslim" (only technically, it's for the Muslim interface and shields), and a lot of small trade republics. So you'll be able to play most of the realms on the map except for those.

Also some have reported bugs when playing with SoA turned on.

Ah, that's great then. I have all the DLC except SoA.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Sorry DrSunshine, today was a bad day for my sadbrains so I didn't see your post until now. I did have to turn off SoA to get it to load, and the decisions were with everyone I tried (but sounds like you got that fixed :D). Another thing, when are They meant to show up? I'm playing as some Aaqiut folks up in Maqmiut Floe and I got the event about Their existence in 4412, but it's now 4437 and no sign of a horde.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

Sorry DrSunshine, today was a bad day for my sadbrains so I didn't see your post until now. I did have to turn off SoA to get it to load, and the decisions were with everyone I tried (but sounds like you got that fixed :D). Another thing, when are They meant to show up? I'm playing as some Aaqiut folks up in Maqmiut Floe and I got the event about Their existence in 4412, but it's now 4437 and no sign of a horde.

Uh oh! Okay, so I haven't actually played the game up till then, so I'll look at the events and see if it's wigging out. I basically copy-pasted the Mongol horde event, so maybe something didn't quite port over right. Also, it seems that sometimes even in the vanilla game, you get the Mongol signs notification event but no Mongols spawn.

Have to breathe a sigh of relief that you even got the message, though. I was just afraid the event would make the game crash or something. :sweatdrop:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I just took a look in them_events, it looks like you've got a couple of the dates in the Arrival event mixed up;

trigger = {
year = 4216
has_landed_title = d_them
NOT = { year = 4224 }
NOT = { has_global_flag = them_arrival }
}

I guess those 42s are meant to be 44s?

e; Yeah, I just changed the dates and got the event about their arrival, but I seem to be getting spammed with the event about how I'm not infected yet, and I don't understand the mod files well enough to point out what the solution might be. Still, hope it helps a bit :shobon:

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 1, 2013

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Drone posted:

She ended up in a huge civil war pretty much immediately over her cousin's claim (a bishop). She won the war thanks to a large inheritance, but ALSO because an :black101: army led by a triumvirate of foreign witches :black101: spawned in my capital via event to help me out. The witches all have amazing stats and after the war were able to join my council despite being females (hello, spymaster with 37 intrigue score).

The only real downside is that my Witch-Queen is the wrong culture (Frankish) because of her tutor. Is there any way to switch this back to Scottish outside of cheating, or should I just give my kids to Scottish tutors and hope the next generation converts back?

You bow to the whims of the witch queen and culture convert your current provinces to Frankish.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

I just took a look in them_events, it looks like you've got a couple of the dates in the Arrival event mixed up;

trigger = {
year = 4216
has_landed_title = d_them
NOT = { year = 4224 }
NOT = { has_global_flag = them_arrival }
}

I guess those 42s are meant to be 44s?

e; Yeah, I just changed the dates and got the event about their arrival, but I seem to be getting spammed with the event about how I'm not infected yet, and I don't understand the mod files well enough to point out what the solution might be. Still, hope it helps a bit :shobon:

Alrighty! Thanks a lot, that was really helpful!

EDIT: Posted a quick fix to the broken event. Hopefully now it'll work correctly!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 2, 2013

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Drone posted:

So does this mean there's a new flag for potential mod-use that designates specific women as potential councilors? That's fantastic if so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Jazerus posted:

So does this mean there's a new flag for potential mod-use that designates specific women as potential councilors? That's fantastic if so.

Yes, the witches have
set_character_flag = special_marshal
set_character_flag = special_treasurer
set_character_flag = special_chancellor
set_character_flag = special_spiritual
set_character_flag = special_spymaster

• Locked thread