Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Kaboobi posted:

The PC has Steam sales for cheaper DLC and upcoming custom support. Other than that they play pretty much the same?

Pretty sure PC load times are way better as well especially if you have a SSD. I also find the UI much faster to navigate with kb/mouse than with a controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Titty Hero posted:

So, tell me if i'm asking for something against the rules here, but does anyone know if there's a way to rip songs from the game? Because i keep wanting Monochromic and Self-Destruct in some format outside of the game, but they literally do not exist anywhere at all. It kinda sucks.

I imagine you could set the sound of everything but the music to zero and just record the sound with Audacity or something. They're probably a dev band.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

keyframe posted:

Pretty sure PC load times are way better as well especially if you have a SSD. I also find the UI much faster to navigate with kb/mouse than with a controller.

Load times? What are those? :getin:

MrData
Jun 28, 2008

fuf posted:

After playing some more today this is still really bumming me out. I don't get how I'm ever supposed to learn a song if I can't pause and look through the tab.

I tried making the riff repeater really slow, but like MrData said it's just an exercise in frustration waiting for the difficult bit to scroll by.

I ended up looking up one tab online, which kinda negates the whole reason I bought the game. :v:

How do other people do it?

I'm starting to realize that, at least for me, the game in its current state is not suitable for practicing complex songs.

It needs either a study mode where you can freely examine a song, or the ability to precisely specify blocks to practice over and over. Slowing blocks down takes ages and after 3 or 4 tries I just give up; not because of the song's difficulty but I just have to fight the software.

Looking up the song on Youtube is a good suggestion but it's silly to have to resort to solutions outside the game. Also it seems I am the only person in the world who cares about the notes being synchronized with the music, because every single Youtuber is apparently fine with playing the game out of sync.

This game is SO close to being awesome. There's so much stuff to do and it makes playing songs a lot of fun. But it kind of starts to fall apart when you get down to the really difficult songs.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I have the game on PS3 and on Mac now, and I still use it on the PS3 for the most part. Mainly because I can use the TV instead of a monitor (which I am sure some on the PC also have) and I have better audio hooked up. There really aren't any load times any more on the console version, so I am not waiting using either version.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

fuf posted:

After playing some more today this is still really bumming me out. I don't get how I'm ever supposed to learn a song if I can't pause and look through the tab.

Simply put you shouldn't learn the song via Rocksmith, their tabs range from good to horrible, and as you said its hard to study the song as a whole. The purpose in my opinion of Rocksmith is to get new players used to actually playing the guitar and showing them Techniques with some sort of feedback, and to give older guitarists something fun to drill and practice technique with.

*For Example: Knights of Cydonia - Muse and Cemetary Gates - Pantera are way way harder than they needed to be due to needless hand shifting.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

fuf posted:

I tried making the riff repeater really slow, but like MrData said it's just an exercise in frustration waiting for the difficult bit to scroll by.

I ended up looking up one tab online, which kinda negates the whole reason I bought the game. :v:

How do other people do it?

I think you have to stop treating it like tab and just focus on what notes are coming up. Treat it like a game where you want to beat your previous score. If you screw up a couple parts its not the end of the world. Once you master the rest of the song then you can work on those more.

It usually suggests the parts to run riff repeater on. You can treat riff repeater the same way as well. Keep going through the riff to try and get a perfect score. Then the parts you know become second nature and you can focus on the parts you need to improve.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

I am getting this game and a rondo lp copy for Christmas.

How do you go about incorporating more traditional teaching like justinguitar with the game? Obviously the pedagogy is going to be dissimilar at certain points.

How do you reconcile this and incorpate the two as a unified approach to learning. I am probably overthinking this somewhat but I am interested to know what others have done to supplement their rocksmith instruction.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, you're overthinking it.

This game is mostly a "learn cover songs, chords, and how to find notes on the fretboard without looking down" type product. Session mode does improve the function as an educational tool but it never really teaches any theory.

I guess it's okay at illustrating some guitar specific techniques such as muting and bends and stuff but I don't consider it much of an educational tool in that department.

Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp
EDIT: ^^ Excellent point especially about the lack of theory. But, that's ok as there are tons of other places/ways to learn theory. They've done a great job keeping things fun.

KildarX posted:

Simply put you shouldn't learn the song via Rocksmith, their tabs range from good to horrible, and as you said its hard to study the song as a whole. The purpose in my opinion of Rocksmith is to get new players used to actually playing the guitar and showing them Techniques with some sort of feedback, and to give older guitarists something fun to drill and practice technique with.

*For Example: Knights of Cydonia - Muse and Cemetary Gates - Pantera are way way harder than they needed to be due to needless hand shifting.

Yeah probably some truth to that. I learned the licks in Knights of Cydonia by ear and played most of it lower on the fretboard than what the game showed. I went ahead and learned it the Rocksmith way because the more difficult shifting is good practice and I tend to try to find lazy ways to play things (25 years of playing and I still play an F chord using my thumb).

Tarq fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 1, 2013

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

jiffypop45 posted:

I am getting this game and a rondo lp copy for Christmas.

This might not matter to you, but I played my rondo LP for 5 hours today (on and off) and now my shoulder is killing me. That thing is heavy and hard to just put on your lap. Kinda wish I got an SG.

I also have a strat which i love. But i hate playing it with rocksmith because of tuning changes.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Gripen5 posted:

This might not matter to you, but I played my rondo LP for 5 hours today (on and off) and now my shoulder is killing me. That thing is heavy and hard to just put on your lap. Kinda wish I got an SG.

I also have a strat which i love. But i hate playing it with rocksmith because of tuning changes.

I have heard LPs and rondos in particular are notoriously heavy. Ill probably try and get a padded guitar strap soon after I buy it. As I imagine I will be in the same position.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

jiffypop45 posted:

I have heard LPs and rondos in particular are notoriously heavy. Ill probably try and get a padded guitar strap soon after I buy it. As I imagine I will be in the same position.

It's not the strap that's the problem, padding won't help. It's that your frilly shoulders aren't used to holding up 9 pounds of guitar for several hours.

If it hurts, stop playing for a while then come back to it. Eventually your body will adapt to what you ask of it.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
If you're really skinny a heavy guitar can cause back issues. Weight has been an issue with Les Pauls, especially with the cheap ones. More expensive modern Les Pauls usually have some form of weight relief these days.

Just keep in mind to stop playing if it hurts.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

You could try playing sitting down. I just use a computer chair on which I've detached the arm rests. You might also want to elevate your foot a bit too.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
So the original rocksmith is $15 on Amazon US right now. Seems like a good deal to get a lot more songs and being able to buy the old dlc songs since Ubisoft will probably never fix the DLC issue with 2014 on PC. Now if only I got figure out how to buy from Amazon US again.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.
RS2014 is a current Flash sale on Steam. 33% off.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Torabi posted:

So the original rocksmith is $15 on Amazon US right now. Seems like a good deal to get a lot more songs and being able to buy the old dlc songs since Ubisoft will probably never fix the DLC issue with 2014 on PC. Now if only I got figure out how to buy from Amazon US again.

Amazon was selling it for $7.50 on Friday. :v:

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Skuto posted:

Which is still terrible. It's now the same price as the boxed version with the cable on Amazon (UK).

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe

Skuto posted:

More importantly, so is the DLC! 33% off - not as good as the original Rocksmith dlc (currently 50% off) but likely as good as it'll get for a while. Strike now!

edit: apparently it was a mistake, and is no longer on sale. eat my dick ubisoft

Macavity fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 1, 2013

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

xzzy posted:

Amazon was selling it for $7.50 on Friday. :v:

Aw hell. Hoping for that to reappear or that cyber Monday thing.

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

Macavity posted:

More importantly, so is the DLC! 33% off - not as good as the original Rocksmith dlc (currently 50% off) but likely as good as it'll get for a while. Strike now!

Just saw this and What the poo poo?!?!? Now the 2014 DLC isn't on sale at all!

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
One DLC track is still discounted. Smashing Pumpkins - Disarm. Not the artist pack it's included in though.

Seizureman
Dec 27, 2009

FABULOUS
If I bought the original Rocksmith on 360, can I somehow import the songs to Rocksmith 2014 on PC?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Seizureman posted:

If I bought the original Rocksmith on 360, can I somehow import the songs to Rocksmith 2014 on PC?

Nope.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
/\/\ :doom:

Seizureman posted:

nope.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.
Nope, DLC etc doesn't transfer between systems.

Edit: it's a triple!

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Seizureman posted:

You can import... the cable.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

JHVH-1 posted:

And the skills that you learned!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

JHVH-1 posted:

Also your guitar.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Speaking of the cable, while I am waiting for the order to arrive. Has anyone tried doing much with plugging it into their computer and recording/playing through the computer?

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe
Yup, it works great for that. I use Amplitube (it's free, you pay for bonus amps/pedals) but there's other people using Guitar Rig or Guitar Pro or something like that.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
DLC for RS1 on steam is 50% off.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

:dance: I just bought RS2014!

:bang: 7 hour download.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

KildarX posted:

I thought I saw it posted earlier where someone said "you may have sections with more shifting than necessary because they tried to make it as close to how the musician actually plays it." Not commenting on any song in particular, but part of why you might shift and stay on a particular string is so that the notes have a more consistent tone; switching strings can change the tone a bit, particularly between wound and unwound strings.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
On a similar note, nearly all tabs for Iron Man place the power chord roots on the 5th string but Tony Iommi plays them with roots on the 6th string, five frets up the neck because it sounds "darker".

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
He's right, 6th string root power chords are inherently better than 5th string root power chords.

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

They gotta fix this clean tone bug. Mother fucker.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bumming Your Scene posted:

They gotta fix this clean tone bug. Mother fucker.

What is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

how do I deal with uplay not accepting my activation key?

nvm, figured it out.

Mercedes fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Dec 2, 2013