Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Picards reaction when he's told about the Klingon Bird of Prey decloaking in Generations is absolutely great. I'm not even sure how to describe it, he just whispers "what?!" and the way he does it is perfect :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Conquistador is still busy defending pedos in GBS, FYI.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

1st AD posted:

Conquistador is still busy defending pedos in GBS, FYI.

Terrible opinions about Trek, sports, morality and when to take a loving hint. Truly the Golden Sombrero of shittiness

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Conquistador posted:

Are any of you here old enough to have seen TWOK when it was released in theaters? I'm curious because I want to know if you guys thought Spock was really dead or if you knew he'd find some way to plot armor his back into the series

E: also I really like how happy Geordi is for Worf when Worf manages to get the hat in Generations :3:

I saw it at the show with my Mom and we figured Spock was really dead. We guessed Nimoy was ready to move on to other things and back then the death-ressurect thing wasn't really done that much that I remember.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
bij

Tom Brady fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Dec 1, 2013

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LeafyOrb posted:

True but they also never shut the gently caress up about her backstory and we get a lot of redundant episodes about her trying not to forgive the Cardassians. Including one where Dukat calls her says "I hosed your mom" and hangs up, at which point she goes back in time to scold her mother.

Who the gently caress approved her using the Orb of Time to see her mom get hosed anyway?

I don't think they dwell on it too much; her opinions change pretty heavily with each episode like that, in a pretty believable way. Also Dukat's "I hosed your mom :smug:" was the most awesome troll moment in the franchise. Done purely to dick with her, 'cause.

EDIT: Also if the Bajorians always had a time traveling orb that lets anyone (including Klingon assassins) use it at a whim, you think they'd done better in the war.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I don't think they dwell on it too much; her opinions change pretty heavily with each episode like that, in a pretty believable way. Also Dukat's "I hosed your mom :smug:" was the most awesome troll moment in the franchise. Done purely to dick with her, 'cause.

EDIT: Also if the Bajorians always had a time traveling orb that lets anyone (including Klingon assassins) use it at a whim, you think they'd done better in the war.

The Bajorans were primitive savages, too ignorant to understand even their own holy relics. It was only once enlightened Cardassian scientists... borrowed... the orbs that they even began to realise their powers.

Obviously, the Cardassian military recognised the power of the Orb of Time, and kept it safely locked up on Cardassia Prime. It was only after small-minded civilians took control of Cardassia that the Bajorans got their hands on it again... and, of course, as you might expect from such a primitive species, began using its reality-changing powers for such urgent tasks as responding to Yo Mama jokes...

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Well the end of Dukat's arc is literally realising that whoever can harness the powers of the prophets will get ultimate power.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Angry Salami posted:

Obviously, the Cardassian military recognised the power of the Orb of Time,

I like how once Kira does realize it works, not a single person suggests, I don't know.. going back to Dukat's deal with the Dominion and sticking a bomb on his ship.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Blazing Ownager posted:

I like how once Kira does realize it works, not a single person suggests, I don't know.. going back to Dukat's deal with the Dominion and sticking a bomb on his ship.

Temporal Prime Directive, man! You're only allowed to put bombs on the ships of foreign dignitaries in the present.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Besides, those Orbs are super flaky. Winn got totally friendzoned by the wormhole aliens, despite her life of passive-aggressive piety. Then some small-time terrorist shows up, uses a billion orbs and even gets inhabited by a Prophet.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Blazing Ownager posted:

Dukat had just finished reading some PUA stuff and wanted to try it out on Kira. It was his attempt at 'negging' her. "Ha ha, I hosed your mom, now I wanna gently caress you"

I enjoyed watching her struggle balancing the 'freedom fighter' with her new position of authority. She was literally a former terrorist. I don't think we could've gotten a character like her in any post-9/11 Trek. Or at least, it would've been watered down to be far less effective.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

The Dark One posted:

Besides, those Orbs are super flaky. Winn got totally friendzoned by the wormhole aliens, despite her life of passive-aggressive piety. Then some small-time terrorist shows up, uses a billion orbs and even gets inhabited by a Prophet.

Winn was kind of bitch. She used religion as an excuse to seek power.

The small time terrorist did her thing because she had to.

Yeah definitely something that'd never get allowed these days.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

DemeaninDemon posted:

Winn was kind of bitch. She used religion as an excuse to seek power.

The small time terrorist did her thing because she had to.

Yeah definitely something that'd never get allowed these days.

She also blew up a school the first time she was introduced. There's really no coming back from that one.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

So, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, Star Trek: Generations, and Star Trek: First Contact just got re-upped on Netflix.

Part of some nefarious plot to indoctrinate more TNG to TOSers as far as I'm concerned.

IV has more heart than the other two combined, IMHO with the possible exception of drunk Zefram Cochrane.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
Oh, I know what I am doing when I get home...

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
If you have a VPN or a service like unblock-us you can *almost* always get whatever Trek you want on Netflix. Same goes for Stargate. If it disappears on "your" Netflix, chances are good it's still available or has just become available in some other country.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Okay, this will probably sound crazy, but I kind of liked "The Cloud." The A plot was pretty loving stupid, but all the crew stuff was kind of endearing. Neelix actually had some smart comments about Janeway "introducing her crew to the specter of death at every opportunity," and the spirit animal stuff with Chakotay was goofy, slightly stereotypical, but also somewhat heartfelt. Some other fun moments with the EMH, a great performance by Mulgrew and dang, I didn't absolutely hate this episode. Has battered person syndrome set in already?

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
Anyone else have "Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise?" Pretty good book/detailed about everyone's favorite Trek ship, the refit Connie class.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Guys I just watched the Equinox 2-parter, have I reached the high-water mark of Voyager from which I should exit gracefully?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

rocket_man38 posted:

Anyone else have "Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise?" Pretty good book/detailed about everyone's favorite Trek ship, the refit Connie class.

Yes, I used to thumb through my mom's copy as a kid. From what I remember there were a lot of technical details that were rendered invalid by TNG and later movies, but it was still awesome. I liked the part where they mentioned leaving a now un-needed special insulating coating off the hull for the refit, resulting in the metallic look in the TOS movies.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Otisburg posted:

Guys I just watched the Equinox 2-parter, have I reached the high-water mark of Voyager from which I should exit gracefully?

Pretty much! :(

Now you can sit back and sort of just imagine what it could've been if the show had been "Star Trek: Equinox".

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

Pretty much! :(

Now you can sit back and sort of just imagine what it could've been if the show had been "Star Trek: Equinox".

After devoting a scene to how the survivors were stripped of rank and added to the crew under constant scrutiny, they never, ever do anything with the Equinox crewmen again, do they?

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

Otisburg posted:

After devoting a scene to how the survivors were stripped of rank and added to the crew under constant scrutiny, they never, ever do anything with the Equinox crewmen again, do they?

Hahaha, no of course not.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Otisburg posted:

Watching SFDebris' review of that episode explains the weird shift in character actions between the two episodes (the writing team changed between Pt. 1 and 2, since there was a season change).

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Watching SFDebris' review of that episode explains the weird shift in character actions between the two episodes (the writing team changed between Pt. 1 and 2, since there was a season change).

http://www.lcarscom.net/rdm1000118.htm RDM explains why Equinox sucks.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Whoever thought it was a good idea to post huge, unbroken paragraphs of orange text on a black background like that ought to be shot into the sun.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

When is that page from? Reading the source is like finding an intact Kurlan Naiskos.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

rocket_man38 posted:

I do. Got it as a kid. I loved the weird little details in it, like colors of the flags and such.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

Data Graham posted:

When is that page from? Reading the source is like finding an intact Kurlan Naiskos.

No idea! I'd guess early 01-02.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Thanks for this. Great article.

RDM posted:

The audience doesn't sit there and go, ‘God drat, they know science. That is really cool. Look how they figured that out. Hey Edna! Come here. You want to see how Chakotay is going to figure this out. He’s onto this thing with the quantum tech particles; it’s really interesting. I don’t know how he is going to do it, but he is going to reroute something. Oh my God, he found the anti-protons!’

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Whoever thought it was a good idea to post huge, unbroken paragraphs of orange text on a black background like that ought to be shot into the sun.

Oh god, it doesn't even use CSS so it's too much trouble to quickly change it to something readable.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
Just select all and copy+paste into a wordpad file or something.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I hadn't gotten around to watching Oblivion until now, and :drat: that is some good rear end science fiction right there. It definitely has more of a Mass Effect-y vibe than Star Trek, but the film is surprisingly well done considering it has a cast of like 10 people total and 70% of the movie is shot on or near a pile of dirt, the other 30% shot on a few sets that could fit into the same soundstage that housed the TNG sets. It's an awesome film with a great climax that puts The Final Frontier to shame; "I made you Jack, I am your God." "gently caress you, Sally. :jihad: "

It's too bad that this film had to star Tom Cruise because it probably would have done better at the box office if it had a more likable lead. I also liked the fact that the filmmakers decided to create a non grimdark piece of sci-fi in 2013, in fact it's so not grimdark that they filmed a huge portion of it outdoors in daylight.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Oblivion was very bad and at my cinema screening people were literally laughing at it as the reveals and plot bits got more and more ridiculous. It is okay for you to like it, but you are wrong to do so.

MIRANDA TALK:

Rewatching The Voyage Home for the first time in a long time and I didn't realize the ship that got Whale Dick Probed was the USS Saratoga! I guess it would have been totally salvageable after the probe incident. Man that ship is even more cursed than your typical Miranda.

This is a good movie. The Klingon ambassador lays it on a bit thick. "BEHOLD THE QUINTESSENTIAL DEVIL IN THESE MATTERS: JAMES T. KIRK!"

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Christ you guys hate everything.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

That's not true. I love puppies.

When they're roadkill.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

hailthefish posted:

Oh god, it doesn't even use CSS so it's too much trouble to quickly change it to something readable.

LCARS has a problem with late 20th century .txt files

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Of the characters that effectively move from TNG to DS9, is there an explanation or look at the circumstances surrounding them leaving the enterprise? I'm watching both series but haven't quite finished either. In a DS9 episode called Defiant a character disguised as Will Riker has this really weird exchange with O'Brien where a quick google only gets me a lot of speculation and nothing.

I'm sorry if this question comes up often or I missed the answer on memory alpha somewhere. Please don't eat me alive I am new to this thing. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

1st AD posted:

Christ you guys hate everything.

Guilty:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02LgdXVkXgM

Heran Bago posted:

In a DS9 episode called Defiant a character disguised as Will Riker has this really weird exchange with O'Brien where a quick google only gets me a lot of speculation and nothing.

Thomas Riker just wanted to immediately dismiss O'Brien from talking to him, because Miles was the only one who could have easily called him out if he'd actually tried to bluff his way out of it.

• Locked thread