Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Wow, I'm getting absolute garbage streams from Netflix lately. I thought it was my internet but nope I can watch any other streaming service and get perfect HD streams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

foodfight posted:

Wow, I'm getting absolute garbage streams from Netflix lately. I thought it was my internet but nope I can watch any other streaming service and get perfect HD streams.

can you force the quality with Shift+Control+Alt+S

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I posted it a few pages ago but there's a key combo you can press to get the Silverlight options. In there you can force a certain bitrate. I'm posting from my phone so I can't try it to test.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
I could do that on my computer but not on my blu ray player.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I've been having problems with the quality on my Xbox. Was watching Arrow yesterday and it kept going from great picture to 1998 Realplayer video downloaded from Kazaa quality, for no apparent reason.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

If it's happening on multiple devices It has to be something with your network stuff. Are these devices hard wired or wifi? Is it possible someone on the network is hammering the connection with BitTorrent, Newsgroups, or some other streaming thing? How old is the router?

It's also entirely possible that your ISP is somehow throttling Netflix traffic.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Bung Harmer posted:

If it's happening on multiple devices It has to be something with your network stuff. Are these devices hard wired or wifi? Is it possible someone on the network is hammering the connection with BitTorrent, Newsgroups, or some other streaming thing? How old is the router?

It's also entirely possible that your ISP is somehow throttling Netflix traffic.

I haven't done enough digging into it on mine. I live alone (SO ALONE) so there isn't anyone choking the network, and I have QOS set up on my router so Netflix gets priority over anything else if it's going. Possibly it might be the wireless network dropping, though I have a pretty solid router and haven't noticed any other issues with my tablet or phone. But both my Xboxs have been choking with Netflix, when it works fine through my PC.

I'll try my PS3 and see what it looks like there.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Ok. You sound like you know what you're doing. I would definitely go through the process of elimination and make sure it's not something on your end.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
I've been watching a bunch of subtitled movies lately, is there any way to turn off that bar that pops up when you pause? Or to make it disappear faster, if I'm watching at work I have to pause a lot and I keep missing lines.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Lately I've seen a noticeable drop in Netflix quality as well (Apple TV). Dropping an SD steam to YouTube 240p levels is pretty f'n lame... I definitively suspect Comcast, although I guess I could try the PS3 to see if there's a difference.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Amazon handles Netflix's servers, so I wouldn't be surprised if Black Friday traffic on their site and a spike in Netflix usage due to the holiday is pushing their system to the limit. Then again I don't know much about computers.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Weird issue with Windows 8 app, I have watched a couple of videos this week, and I noticed it was changing the aspect ratio every couple of minutes. It put black bars on the side, its incredibly distracting. I guess I can email netflix but has anyone else seen this? Happened on 2 computers.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

kri kri posted:

Weird issue with Windows 8 app, I have watched a couple of videos this week, and I noticed it was changing the aspect ratio every couple of minutes. It put black bars on the side, its incredibly distracting. I guess I can email netflix but has anyone else seen this? Happened on 2 computers.

This happened to us while we were watching something the other night on our smart TV. It kept shifting ever so slightly back and forth every few minutes. Hasn't happened since though.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I vaguely recall there was a Google Chrome extension or something that was talked about that let you change your region on Netflix? Went to watch The Raid today and found it wasn't available on streaming in the US (A friend in Canada's watching it right now, so I know it's available there at least).

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hola Unblocker

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Thanks, worked instantly!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Heck yes, Coffy and Sheba Baby just got (re?)added!

Classic Blaxsploitation flicks.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Leper Residue posted:

I've been watching a bunch of subtitled movies lately, is there any way to turn off that bar that pops up when you pause? Or to make it disappear faster, if I'm watching at work I have to pause a lot and I keep missing lines.

You mean the play/pause/whatever bar? Just move your cursor away from the bar and to a far side of the screen, it will disappear by itself rather quickly, only reappearing whenever you move your mouse again.

Also, watching Ip man, liking it a lot so far :D

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

I've been getting sudden-onset horrible netflix quality on my PS3 for the past few weeks.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Shima Honnou posted:

I vaguely recall there was a Google Chrome extension or something that was talked about that let you change your region on Netflix? Went to watch The Raid today and found it wasn't available on streaming in the US (A friend in Canada's watching it right now, so I know it's available there at least).

Abu Dave posted:

Hola Unblocker

Is there a similar Firefox addon?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Just caught Dealin' With Idiots and it was entertaining. I don't think it was so much a great movie, as it was a serviceable method of getting a series of really likable character actors and comedians in front of a camera so they could be funny. It's entirely forgettable if you don't already like a majority of the cast.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Anyone who wants to see something like Born In Flames crossed with one of those weird Libertarian Poser movies, watch Rain Without Thunder.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Anyone who wants to see something like Born In Flames crossed with one of those weird Libertarian Poser movies, watch Rain Without Thunder.

Jesus Christ.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Abu Dave posted:

Hola Unblocker

Thanks for this! Netflix Sweden is where it's at.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I really like Born in Flames and those weird Libertarian Poser movies. However, I couldn't make it through Atlas Shrugged, Part I.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I really like Born in Flames and those weird Libertarian Poser movies. However, I couldn't make it through Atlas Shrugged, Part I.

I hear around hour 34 or so, they stop the movie and just show 100% real UFO footage. Hide the truth in plain sight.

Based on your description, I really want to watch Rain Without Thunder but I think I'm coming down with a flu and shudder to imagine what sort of fever dreams that would induce.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's not THAT bad. It's just really corny and really 90's, it's almost like The Handmaid's Tale was a blockbuster hit and people started making straight to VHS clones of it.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

Evilreaver posted:

Is there a similar Firefox addon?
Hola works for Firefox too.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

mysterious frankie posted:

Just caught Dealin' With Idiots and it was entertaining. I don't think it was so much a great movie, as it was a serviceable method of getting a series of really likable character actors and comedians in front of a camera so they could be funny. It's entirely forgettable if you don't already like a majority of the cast.
I started watching most of this yesterday and am really enjoying it. It's hit and miss as improv tends to be, but if you like Jeff Garlin and all the other comedians he has on, there are some really good laughs here. Fred Willard is fantastic as always.

I'm getting a lot of joy out of just watching Jeff Garlin's face as he tries not to crack up when people go off on a wild riff. See especially the scene early on with Bob Odenkirk in the print shop, where he tells the story of why he refuses to fix the lock on the back door.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I watched Europa Report. Despite liking different aspects, as a whole it bored me.

Now I'm watching Zodiac, and holy.poo poo it's amazing.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

Now I'm watching Zodiac, and holy.poo poo it's amazing.

Zodiac is a classic and one of the most underrated films of the last 10 years.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Safe Driver posted:

Thanks for this! Netflix Sweden is where it's at.

Holy loving poo poo.

fake edit: haha oh wow they have Pumping Iron on here.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Abu Dave posted:

Hola Unblocker

My Netflix account is limited to streaming within the US, so Hola Better Internet doesn't work. How are other people getting, for instance, The Raid: Redemption to play on a US account?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I clicked the button and set it to Canada and it worked.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

at the date posted:

My Netflix account is limited to streaming within the US, so Hola Better Internet doesn't work. How are other people getting, for instance, The Raid: Redemption to play on a US account?

I thought all Netflix accounts could stream anywhere? I'm in the UK, but I assume the same principle applies. If plugins don't work you could try changing the DNS settings on your device- I have my xbox setup to access US netflix that way with some DNS settings I found online. So you need to find some appropriate UK DNS settings.

Edit- I used one of the settings here if anyone reading needs them- http://www.netflixfixer.com/2013/06/updated-dns-codes-for-us-netflix.html they don't seem to have UK ones though.

marktheando fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 1, 2013

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I've heard Hola only works if you have streaming only on your account - if it's tied to a mailing address because you get discs, it doesn't let you swap countries. Or so I've heard. I have no clue.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Abu Dave posted:

Hola Unblocker

This is awesome.

Oh man UK Netflix has The Hobbit :aaa:

Is there any way to make this work with the PS3, or as I like to call it, my Netflix Machine?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I've heard Hola only works if you have streaming only on your account - if it's tied to a mailing address because you get discs, it doesn't let you swap countries. Or so I've heard. I have no clue.

Yeah, this is the problem.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

This is awesome.

Oh man UK Netflix has The Hobbit :aaa:

Is there any way to make this work with the PS3, or as I like to call it, my Netflix Machine?

Or with a Roku, the one true Netflix Machine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
When I watch korean movies on netflix, the subtitles always have people's names written half caps, like KIM Ki-Duk or CHOI Min-Soo. What's up with that? Is that how it's supposed to be written?

ManOfTheYear fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 2, 2013

• Locked thread