Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

RockNRoll Jesus posted:

These were the poo poo. I had both that red car and the yellow one, and had a fantastic time slamming them into the walls and then analyzing the scene like some kind of dedicated toy detective.

Oh hell yes. I had this car as a kid, along with a plane and essentially a torture chair. They were amazing. I'm surprised they actually marketed the plane since what seems safe about hurling a collection of loosely attached plastic with the intention of pieces go flying everywhere?

It's amazing I never chose my sister as a target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You should see the CGI cartoon pilot of the Incredible Crash-Test Dummies if you haven't. It's on Youtube (originally came as a pack-in VHS tape with one of the toys, and no other release) and it's magical :allears:.

I always hoped it would get picked up as a series, but it never did. :(

I think I had a Junkbot or two, a bunch of figures, the red car (though inexplicably a Mexican version? I think I got it from a yard sale or something), and the plane. And at least one of the soft dolls.

Oh...and some kind of crash test obstacle course playset...but not the standard one. I think it was Play-Doh (or generic non-branded clay)-based.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
My favorite part about the Crash Test Dummies was that the guy who voiced Larry was also Garfield, as well as Venkman on the Ghostbusters cartoon. He was so sarcastic. :allears:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
RIP Lorenzo Music. :(

And extra RIP Tony Jay. :cry:

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

syscall girl posted:

My favorite part about the Crash Test Dummies was that the guy who voiced Larry was also Garfield, as well as Venkman on the Ghostbusters cartoon. He was so sarcastic. :allears:

Lorenzo Music, the voice of TV Garfield, was the voice of Venkman (Bill Murray's movie character).

Bill Murray was the voice of Garfield in Garfield, the Movie.

Rickycat
Nov 26, 2007

by Lowtax
Here's a list of 50 things mostly from the 90's. Reminds me of when I was a child.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Mostly 90's for sure. I have 2 fresh boxes of Dinosaur Eggs oatmeal in my pantry right now.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo, Beakman's World is on Netflix!

Hopefully it hasn't age too poorly.

Or I haven't gotten to cynical...

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

TVarmy posted:

I totally thought this was the coolest looking gadget ever, and the commercials and product placement in Home Alone reinforced my perception that it'd be the best toy on Earth. Never got one.

Product placement? Before Home Alone 2 those things weren't real, it was originally a non-working prop and then a year later Tiger Electronics made them.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Modern Day Hercules posted:

Mostly 90's for sure. I have 2 fresh boxes of Dinosaur Eggs oatmeal in my pantry right now.

Ho poo poo, man, they still make those?

...What, I'm not going to run out and buy some right this second like a huge rear end manchild. I'm not.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

John Murdoch posted:

RIP Lorenzo Music. :(

And extra RIP Tony Jay. :cry:

From the early 90's until last year Lorenzo was the voice you heard for Ruggles Ice Cream radio commercials. Then they changed it and now I won't buy their ice cream any more. :colbert:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I have no idea why, but I was suddenly reminded of all those "phone services" from the mid to late 90's.

Collect call ones, like 1-800-Collect, and 1-800-CALL-ATT.

Ones like 10-10-321 and 10-10-220 for long distance, and then services like *69 and *66.

I was always a little disappointing that other than the collect call services, none of the other ones worked where I grew up. I was never able to *69 someone.

But my dad did get caller ID years before it was commonplace (it was a small little separate box next to the phone, since the phone didn't have a display itself,) so it was fun for a while when friends/family called and being able to immediately say,
"Oh, hello Aunt Christine!" and them thinking I was some sort of sorcerer. :smug:

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I have no idea why, but I was suddenly reminded of all those "phone services" from the mid to late 90's.

Collect call ones, like 1-800-Collect, and 1-800-CALL-ATT.

Ones like 10-10-321 and 10-10-220 for long distance, and then services like *69 and *66.

I was always a little disappointing that other than the collect call services, none of the other ones worked where I grew up. I was never able to *69 someone.

But my dad did get caller ID years before it was commonplace (it was a small little separate box next to the phone, since the phone didn't have a display itself,) so it was fun for a while when friends/family called and being able to immediately say,
"Oh, hello Aunt Christine!" and them thinking I was some sort of sorcerer. :smug:

I still remember calling my parents collect when it was time to come pick me up from practice :v:

Will you accept a collect call from "I'm done come pick me up assholes!"?

First life hack!

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Can you imagine taking someone from the '90's and bringing them to this time?

"You're looking at a video on the Internet? With your phone?!":psyboom:

I remember having the Tomb Raider issue. This magazine was full of content. There was a foldout poster in the middle and the back of the issue showcased toys and figures from videogames and anime long before it became popular stateside. I think I even saw an ad for Evangelion with Unit 02 leaping towards the reader before it was localized.

Lolitas Alright!
Sep 15, 2007

This is your friend.
She fights for your freedom.

Shath Hole posted:

I still remember calling my parents collect when it was time to come pick me up from practice :v:

Will you accept a collect call from "I'm done come pick me up assholes!"?

First life hack!

I remember there being an ad for SOMETHING, but it involved some guy calling someone from a hospital and saying his name was "Bob Weoddababyeetsaboi", the old man saying no to the collect call, and responding to his wife's question of who it was with "It was Bob. They had a baby." He turns his newspaper page. "It's a boy." Woman goes "Oh!" all happy and goes back to whatever she was doing.

No clue what the gently caress it was for, but I sure remember the guy saying the name.

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe

Lolitas Alright! posted:

I remember there being an ad for SOMETHING, but it involved some guy calling someone from a hospital and saying his name was "Bob Weoddababyeetsaboi", the old man saying no to the collect call, and responding to his wife's question of who it was with "It was Bob. They had a baby." He turns his newspaper page. "It's a boy." Woman goes "Oh!" all happy and goes back to whatever she was doing.

No clue what the gently caress it was for, but I sure remember the guy saying the name.

It's from an old Geico commercial.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9JxhTnWrKYs&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D9JxhTnWrKYs

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
This drat game was pure concentrated 90's....

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

Gaz2k21 posted:

This drat game was pure concentrated 90's....

The word Skitchin itself just screams 90s.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

I had that exact same castle listed on there.

I remember immediately losing the plastic rock that fires out of that cannon :saddowns:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
You didn't lose it, your parents deliberately stole it when you weren't looking.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Leal posted:

I had that exact same castle listed on there.

I remember immediately losing the plastic rock that fires out of that cannon :saddowns:

I had that drat city map rug. I played on it with my Power Rangers Megazord transformer toy. It was kickin rad

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Campy poo poo from the 90s? Well, I've recently been digging on Bulk and Skull from Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. They're actually far better comic relief than I remember.

When I die, I want that music playing at my funeral as they lower my coffin into the open grave.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Gorilla Salad posted:

You didn't lose it, your parents deliberately stole it when you weren't looking.

Only recently did my mother confess to just how many of our toys she 'disappeared' when we were kids. And my dad used to pull the springs out of the battery compartments of noisy toys.

no_shit_columbo
Jul 26, 2013

I was responsible for one hell of a phone bill once...

fibblins
Dec 21, 2007

party swan
Motherfucking Spider-Man Cartoon Maker was the poo poo when I was a kid. Now it's just poo poo, but at least it's good for a laugh.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
If an ice cream struck rolled up to my place of work, this is still what I would order. Then maybe a drumstick, fudgecicle, and so on.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

no_shit_columbo posted:

I want to know about the :nms: Upcoming issue details

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

no_shit_columbo posted:

Haha, I did the same thing, except with Lucasarts Tipline for Full Throttle.

Oh man my parents were pissssssssed.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

fibblins posted:

Motherfucking Spider-Man Cartoon Maker was the poo poo when I was a kid. Now it's just poo poo, but at least it's good for a laugh.

Oh man, that thing. It was surprisingly complex and high-quality for that sort of cash-in game.

Draconi Ann
Oct 4, 2006

I am an Angel of the Lord.

Dandy Shrew posted:

Not sure if it was late 80s or early 90s, but me and my friends all had at least one of the Yum Yums scented stuffed animals. I, myself, had Jellybean Bunny. She smelled so nice :3:

Ah! My friend had one of those. I can still smell the fake jellybean scent.

Probably closer to the '80s, but I remember Purr-tenders.

Socket Poppers.

My friend and I had BOP, Teen Beat, and Tiger Beat posters of JTT and Rider Strong everywhere for a while.

This series of Houghton Mifflin books, which were a collection of stories and had themes for each grade. (Came out in the '80s, but we used them in the '90s.)

Draconi Ann has a new favorite as of 04:10 on Feb 28, 2014

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Someone posted this old 5th Avenue commercial in the Post Your Unreasonable Childhood Fears thread. It's pretty much the early 90s rolled up into one commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOA_UIgB7hA

This old Mountain Dew commercial with Busta Rhymes in it is probably the late 90s rolled up into one commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-AB32Fb0E0

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Mazed posted:

Yes, the 90s were rad, and in high school in the latter half of it, we were introduced to something that completely blew our minds.

Guys, seriously, these cartoons have goddamn boobies in them. :holy:

As much crap as anime gets now, it had a bit of counter-cultural weight to it in the nineties, at least before Pokemon (or I was young and naive enough to believe that was the case). I seem to remember fairly cool brands and electronic music artists co-opting anime imagery. I guess Japan was still what we believed the future was going to look like then. This Manga video intro used to get me hyped as gently caress:

http://youtu.be/-HVzlfuchkw

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember when Cartoon Network got DBZ and it was just about the coolest thing anyone I knew had ever seen. I must have watched that almost religiously between the ages of 9 and 12.

The theme song ("Rock the Dragon") is silly as anything in retrospect but it was pretty awesome at the time.

Rickycat
Nov 26, 2007

by Lowtax
DBZ was the absolute poo poo when I was younger and if you didn't watch it you weren't cool.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Disco Pope posted:

As much crap as anime gets now, it had a bit of counter-cultural weight to it in the nineties, at least before Pokemon (or I was young and naive enough to believe that was the case). I seem to remember fairly cool brands and electronic music artists co-opting anime imagery. I guess Japan was still what we believed the future was going to look like then. This Manga video intro used to get me hyped as gently caress:

http://youtu.be/-HVzlfuchkw

At least in the late 80's/Early 90's anime was the exact opposite of what was happening in the American animated industry. American animated stuff was doing really poorly, all the cartoons for kids were transparent cash grabs, Disney was producing mediocre work and losing poo poo loads of money. But then we started getting stuff like import Miyazaki films and gundam which were more in step with the awesome animated counter culture stuff like Wizards. I think a lot of that stuff revitalized American animators to start making better stuff again and we got things like BTaS and Animaniacs which are some of the best kids cartoons ever made.

But yeah, for a solid period of the 90's, especially in Europe anime was hand in hand with the Rave/Gabber scene. It certainly didn't help that those kids were already spiking their hair and coloring it crazy colors while wearing ridiculous clothes so the aesthetics lined up really well.

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

Don`t fall asleep, you gotta write for THUNDERDOME
A few years ago, my cousin, who is also a child of the 90's, decided he'd watch the entire Dragonball saga, start to finish (the original show, Z, and GT). He found some subbed version of the Japanese airings online and grinded through all of them over a period of a few months, it was something insane like 300 or 400 episodes all told. He seemed to really enjoy the nostalgia trip but openly acknowledged that some of the episodes are absolute poo poo (notably pretty much all of GT apparently).

Emboldened by this, I decided to tackle the quintessential show of my childhood, the first few seasons of Power Rangers. You can probably guess how it went.

I made it maybe all of 7 or 8 episodes deep before I gave up. Even thick rose-tinted glasses could not disguise the poo poo. I remember the show fondly, but dear Lord are some of those early episodes insufferable. The only way I could have made a go at the series is to whittle each season down to a handful of essential episodes, the ones that were better written and drove the overall arc of the series.

Cut to now, a few years later. I'm poking around on Youtube a few weeks ago and lo and behold, I discover that someone has subtitled and uploaded the entire Japanese series that Power Rangers was based on, Zyuranger. On a lark, I decide to watch a couple of episodes and I immediately realized that this thing could fill the nostalgia void I experienced a few years back. I'm now nearly halfway through the series (at only 50 episodes clocking in at 20 minutes apiece, it's a pretty breezy watch). As an adult viewer, it's pretty much everything that Power Rangers wasn't. It still devolves into silliness from time to time and it is clearly a kids' show, but holy hell do the kids shows in Japan get away with a lot more. It's also written in a way that doesn't assume that kids are drooling morons, like most childrens' shows in America. Seriously, if you've ever wanted to take a Power Rangers nostalgia trip but you're afraid of wading through too much garbage, this series is for you. It hits all those nostalgia buttons while being engaging on its own merits.

If you thought the Evil Green Ranger was the best part of Power Rangers, you're in for a big treat. Where Tommy was just a teenager that Rita put a spell on, upon Burai's first appearance (he's the Green Ranger in the Japanese series), he's just a straight-up arrogant, murderous prick who's hellbent on fratricide. I don't want to give away too much, but needless to say it takes a legitimate change of heart on Burai's part to get him to snap out of it rather than just breaking a spell. If any of that sounds remotely badass to you, check it out. I don't want to post a link on here but it is really easy to find (I think it exists in a legal gray area of sorts - the original series has never been sold or imported to the States, so as far as I can tell nobody is really infringing on US copyrights by uploading them, but better safe than sorry).

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

El Estrago Bonito posted:

At least in the late 80's/Early 90's anime was the exact opposite of what was happening in the American animated industry. American animated stuff was doing really poorly, all the cartoons for kids were transparent cash grabs, Disney was...
Actually we thought it was cool because tits / violence / drugs.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

lord funk posted:

Actually we thought it was cool because tits / violence / drugs.

More or less. Anime at that time was only what a bit of what had happened during my dad's time before me, like Heavy Metal. He did show me Nausicca back when it was "warriors of the wind." Akira was the one that had me. The story was brutual, it was a cartoon that didn't (seem to, at the time,) flinch or soften violence like Looney Tunes. It had heart in it. It felt gritty. It felt sincere. I can't say for sure what it is now, as I haven't seen Akira in ages, and even if I did, I think I might lose objectivity in the face of dystopian nostalgia.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Akira actually holds up pretty well (however, I'd probably say the manga was better, overall), though it definitely has that 'ultraviolence' late 80s, into the 90s aesthetic going in it. Compared to other anime of the time (1988), it is also still good from a technical standpoint as well, with much more fluid animation than pretty much anything else coming out around then.

AngryRobotsInc has a new favorite as of 08:06 on Mar 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Akira actually holds up pretty well (however, I'd probably say the manga was better, overall), though it definitely has that 'ultraviolence' late 80s, into the 90s aesthetic going in it. Compared to other anime of the time (1988), it is also still good from a technical standpoint as well, with much more fluid animation than pretty much anything else coming out around then.

Yeah, although Akira came out in the late eighties, it felt like 'anime-prime' for the 90s (although we called them manga films then). In addition to the video I linked a couple of days ago, this slightly NSFW Manga promo sums up the 90s 'ultra-violence' aesthetic for me too:

(NSFW) http://youtu.be/MjfdH_lS87o

I think Akira stands up as a genuinely good film, but I don't really feel compelled to revisit a lot of the other stuff from that wave.

It's weird to see cyberpunk being such a big deal in that promo too. It was a common aesthetic for a while in the 90s, but the proliferation of the real internet and the success of The Matrix seemed to reduce it to absolute camp.

• Locked thread