Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Zarfol posted:

Was wandering around in a tavern and ran into a lich behind a hidden door. Keldorn with Carsomyr absolutely wrecked him, which is why I'm scared to get rid of him.
Keldorn rules. He makes any fight against mages or liches trivial. I also liked his personality since he shows considerable humility rather than being the negative paladin stereotype. He does hate Viconia, but then again she does worship the primordial evil deity of the setting.

I had him in Viconia in my party in my first playthrough of BG2. The way I handled the conflict was to reload my last save from the last time they fought. The timer for them fighting is based on real time so if you reload you can get them to coexist for a few more hours. (Also I kicked Keldorn out and had him rejoin after reloading, thinking that might be what's resetting the timer, but it turns out I was wrong about that.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Zarfol posted:

First time through BG2 so far, maybe 10-15 hours in:

Keldorn owns with his dispel magic but then slaughtered Viconia god drat it.
Jahiera was being such a massive rear end in a top hat but then got blasted by the red dragon so I can't resurrect her. Good riddance.
Shut the gently caress up Aerie about your god damned life. I was scared she was going to bail after I told her to stop whining and then I'd be out of a cleric.

This is so close to my first playthrough experience it's scary.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

I will never understand all thw Jaheira hate. I loved the snark. I kind od thought it was nice to have a party member that isn't in awe of you because it wasn't all that long ago you were a dumbass kid on the run.

I like her because she's the only one who seems genuinely affected by having been kidnapped and her husband being brutally murdered by a madman while she was powerless to stop him. Minsc is all "Dynaheir is dead! I need to avenge her by being exactly the same character I was in the previous game," and Imoen has three token emo lines and then disappears.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I like her because she's the only one who seems genuinely affected by having been kidnapped and her husband being brutally murdered by a madman while she was powerless to stop him. Minsc is all "Dynaheir is dead! I need to avenge her by being exactly the same character I was in the previous game," and Imoen has three token emo lines and then disappears.

To be fair to Minsc, he's a little too :downs: to be truly affected long term.

As for Imoen I think you're underplaying the extent to which she was teetering on the brink of madness, and wasn't even herself when she got back.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Also the extent to which she was going to die in Spellhold and playtesters were upset enough that they let her live (but didn't have time to give her proper conversations.)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Also the extent to which she was going to die in Spellhold and playtesters were upset enough that they let her live (but didn't have time to give her proper conversations.)

I don't blame the playtesters on that one. Killing off Imoen after all that would have felt pretty loving womeninrefrigerators.txt :stare:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Zarfol posted:

First time through BG2 so far, maybe 10-15 hours in:

Keldorn owns with his dispel magic but then slaughtered Viconia god drat it.
Jahiera was being such a massive rear end in a top hat but then got blasted by the red dragon so I can't resurrect her. Good riddance.
Shut the gently caress up Aerie about your god damned life. I was scared she was going to bail after I told her to stop whining and then I'd be out of a cleric.

I wish Blades (since I'm playing as one) could disable traps so then I could get rid of Jan and pick up another strong fighter dude. I think I should have made a fighter/thief or fighter/mage/thief so I could have my main guy disarm traps and scout.

I want to pick up Dorn, but I get the feeling he'll fight with Keldorn. Plus, Aerie was bitching as soon as I even talked to Dorn.

Was wandering around in a tavern and ran into a lich behind a hidden door. Keldorn with Carsomyr absolutely wrecked him, which is why I'm scared to get rid of him.
Don't worry your attitude for the characters will probably keep Keldorn actually IN the party. You'll see when you get there!

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

I don't blame the playtesters on that one. Killing off Imoen after all that would have felt pretty loving womeninrefrigerators.txt :stare:
It would have probably made me feel a bit guilty that I spent months gallivanting around the Amnish countryside doing random quests such as retrieving gongs for people while Irenicus experimented on Imoen and slowly killed her.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Odd. The version I heard was that the original plan was for Imoen to transform into the Slayer in Suldanessellar and you'd be forced to kill her.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Cythereal posted:

Odd. The version I heard was that the original plan was for Imoen to transform into the Slayer in Suldanessellar and you'd be forced to kill her.
That would've been much cooler than circumventing Yoshimo's death and never using Imoen

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Cythereal posted:

First I've heard of it. Every account I've ever heard of the original plans for Imoen has been "RIP Imoen at Spellhold".

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

In Ascension the last baddie turns Imoen into the Slayer in the last fight after she had progressively gained the minor powers the PC accrued through BG1 and expressed mounting rage. I'm unsure if you have to kill her or you can wait for the transformation to wear off, but she attacks you.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 1, 2013

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

In Ascension the last baddie turns Imoen into the Slayer in the last fight after progressively gaining the minor powers the PC accrued through BG1. I'm unsure if you have to kill her or you can wait for the transformation to wear off, but she attacks you.

Oh, that.

If you just play keep away for a couple rounds, Imoen changes back. At the end of that segment of the boss fight she has a brief chat with you and then she can go Slayer Mode for the remaining segments of the final battle

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Imoen was much more preferable as her happy go lucky self in BG1, rather than emo chronicles part 12 in BG2. Not that I haven't basically kicked her out of every party ever anyway.

Also a warning to anyone wanting to do the Ascension mod by *~David Gaider~*, that poo poo is loving hard and the cost of having to replay that final fight god knows how many times for some more dialogue is debatable. ESPECIALLY if you're running the game for the first time.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It's not a first-timer mod, certainly, but it adds challenge without the SCS "find the tactical skeleton key" noise and imo it definitely makes the final fight seem more in line with the ridiculous / glorious "epic" feel that the denuoument of the Baldur's Gate series ought to have.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I mean you can't really beat Mask of the Betrayer's Myrkul encounter,* but when it comes to epic level realness you ought to at least have more than the one fight repeated three times with some high-level trash mobs thrown in between them. It feels anticlimactic.

Ascension also refreshes spells when you shut down an island, so it throws you a bone in that sense.

* I need to play that game again, but the customary D&D buff fest after every rest plus the awful UI equals quick tedium.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

My roommate and I grabbed BG:EE on the steam sale the other day to do some coop action and I had a question. He went Sorceror and cocked up picks by assuming magic missile is always good and stuff like that. We've gotten far enough I don't want to restart so I looked at EEKeeper but it doesn't work with the Steam version. Any fixes or am I just missing something dumb?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The problem with NWN (1 and 2) is that they are balanced around you stopping and resting after literally every fight, which is tedious and also just breaks the resource management aspect of the combat system.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
I never said Ascension wasn't good, I thoroughly enjoyed it. The final fight took me around 6 hours of continuous playing though, and I don't consider myself bad at DND. It's just hella tough, and some might not enjoy that.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

Canopus250 posted:

My roommate and I grabbed BG:EE on the steam sale the other day to do some coop action and I had a question. He went Sorceror and cocked up picks by assuming magic missile is always good and stuff like that. We've gotten far enough I don't want to restart so I looked at EEKeeper but it doesn't work with the Steam version. Any fixes or am I just missing something dumb?

EEKeeper works fine with the steam version, you just have to point it to the steam install dir, e.x. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Canopus250 posted:

It does work with the Steam version, you just have to change the location that it points to. Also Magic Missile is always good! It's one of the few spells that holds up at higher levels - it's fast casting, always hits, and hits multiple times, so it's useful for interrupting spellcasting and burning through Mirror Images.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Oh its good, but he skipped sleep and horror for it. The problem with him making the character without me being around. Thanks for the heads up and I will try it again when I get home but it just kept telling me I needed to reload resources but I was probably doing it wrong.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Canopus250 posted:

Oh its good, but he skipped sleep and horror for it. The problem with him making the character without me being around. Thanks for the heads up and I will try it again when I get home but it just kept telling me I needed to reload resources but I was probably doing it wrong.
Sleep especially and Horror to a lesser extent are only good at low levels. Magic Missile is certainly the better option if creating a sorcerer. Though if you're willing to use EEKeeper to reshuffle his spell list as he levels then I guess picking them for the early game makes sense.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Factor_VIII posted:

Sleep especially and Horror to a lesser extent are only good at low levels. Magic Missile is certainly the better option if creating a sorcerer. Though if you're willing to use EEKeeper to reshuffle his spell list as he levels then I guess picking them for the early game makes sense.

The Spell Revisions mod on gibberlings changes Sleep's rules to affect monsters with a hit dice less than the caster's level, which is a big help.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

Yeah he'd played BG2 so he picked stuff that was good there and skipped the essentials for low levels. It's not bad as I've played the game a million times and can cheese most stuff but after a few crashes we'd rather not play back through all of Beregost again.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Cantorsdust posted:

The Spell Revisions mod on gibberlings changes Sleep's rules to affect monsters with a hit dice less than the caster's level, which is a big help.
That sounds rather overpowered to me. Sleep is only a 1st level spell after all. It being able to take out high level monsters seems excessive.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Cythereal posted:

Actually this is the most plausible version as it explains the Suldanesselar part of the novelization.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not sure the novelization is a good reason to believe anything, ever.

That novelization :stare:

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Well, most novelizations, like game guides, are based from the less than final version of the gme. I wouldn't be surprised if what happened was that they gave Athans a very rough draft of the game script and told him to go nuts

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

TINA TURNER posted:

Well, most novelizations, like game guides, are based from the less than final version of the gme. I wouldn't be surprised if what happened was that they gave Athans a very rough draft of the game script and told him to go nuts

There's 'not consistent with the game' going nuts and the 'oh god what the hell is wrong with you' going nuts.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children

Factor_VIII posted:

That sounds rather overpowered to me. Sleep is only a 1st level spell after all. It being able to take out high level monsters seems excessive.

This is stupidly overpowered, sleep pretty much breaks all lower level encounters and to have it maintain that utility all the way to higher levels is pretty mundane.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Can't believe Sleep works on Ogres/Half-Ogres/Ogrillons (they are wusses anyways)/Ogre Berzerkers in what could be some of the hardest encounters in vanilla BG1.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

steakmancer posted:

Can't believe Sleep works on Ogres/Half-Ogres/Ogrillons (they are wusses anyways)/Ogre Berzerkers in what could be some of the hardest encounters in vanilla BG1.

I never tried sleep on ogres until I saw it get used in the current lets play going on and realised how much harder I made the game.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

kingcom posted:

I never tried sleep on ogres until I saw it get used in the current lets play going on and realised how much harder I made the game.
Even without Sleep, there are ways to deal with them. In my latest playthrough for example I didn't use Sleep at all (since I have an Invoker who can't cast Enchantment spells) and didn't have any problems with ogres. Having 3 warriors specializing in longbows (and the rest of the party also using ranged weapons) meant that even ogre bersekers tended to die before they could close into the party and deal damage. I thus didn't need to resort to spells, though I do wonder if Spook or Horror would be effective against them.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Factor_VIII posted:

Even without Sleep, there are ways to deal with them. In my latest playthrough for example I didn't use Sleep at all (since I have an Invoker who can't cast Enchantment spells) and didn't have any problems with ogres. Having 3 warriors specializing in longbows (and the rest of the party also using ranged weapons) meant that even ogre bersekers tended to die before they could close into the party and deal damage. I thus didn't need to resort to spells, though I do wonder if Spook or Horror would be effective against them.

Sure but playing the ranged attack/kiter game is actual effort, versus hitting the free-win button.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

kingcom posted:

Sure but playing the ranged attack/kiter game is actual effort, versus hitting the free-win button.
I didn't even need to kite. As long as it was only one ogre, I could usually drop it in the time it took to go from the edge of the fog of war to the party. This method has the advantage that you don't need to rest often in order to regain spells, thus avoiding getting ambushed.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Factor_VIII posted:

I didn't even need to kite. As long as it was only one ogre, I could usually drop it in the time it took to go from the edge of the fog of war to the party. This method has the advantage that you don't need to rest often in order to regain spells, thus avoiding getting ambushed.

I usually run with minimal murder-archers in BG1 so I guess I just dont pop them quickly enough. I usually need to have someone eat melee at least for a couple of rounds.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
In BG2:EE, I can't enter the door in Neera's quest, in Waukeen's Promenade where the Red Wizards are without the game crashing. Any ideas?

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

maev posted:

This is stupidly overpowered, sleep pretty much breaks all lower level encounters and to have it maintain that utility all the way to higher levels is pretty mundane.

Spell Revisions also makes it so sleeping characters wake upon being hit, they don't stay sleeping. So sleep lets you take a mob on one-at-a-time but against a single powerful enemy its basically just a free hit.

Also Spell Revisions is basically balanced to be played with SCS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selane
May 19, 2006

rakovsky maybe posted:

Spell Revisions also makes it so sleeping characters wake upon being hit, they don't stay sleeping. So sleep lets you take a mob on one-at-a-time but against a single powerful enemy its basically just a free hit.

Also Spell Revisions is basically balanced to be played with SCS.

Spell Revisions is awesome. It's not one of those trash mods that tries to make things 'challenging' by nerfing everything, nor does it just make things more powerful for no reason. It tones down the low level spells that are way too good like Spook and Skull Trap, and buffs the huge number of craptastic high levels spells that should be really good but aren't. It's nice having spells like Mantle, Pierce Shield, and Freedom actually be useful. Also it replaces literally useless poo poo like Infravision with new spells, and changes redundant ones like Shadow Door to be worth using.