Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
What else does downcast do? Will it sync with my subscribed podcasts on iTunes? I'm not enjoying the Apple podcast app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
I'm pretty sure it can pull your podcasts from iTunes, but no other podcast apps can sync back to iTunes.

Downcast automatically downloads podcasts and lets you put them in playlists and has a shitton of options.

It has good eyes-free controls if you listen to podcasts in the car. Swipe right to skip forward 30s, left to skip back 30s, double tap to play/pause.

The best feature to me is that if you hit the system's forward or back button (in control center or the lock screen) it'll skip forward/backwards rather than change tracks or go back to the beginning.

The Batman
Sep 11, 2001

The Dark Knight

tuyop posted:

What else does downcast do? Will it sync with my subscribed podcasts on iTunes? I'm not enjoying the Apple podcast app.

Pocketcasts in iOS 7 is the way to go.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

The Batman posted:

PocketCasts is like the worse version of Downcast.

e: Wait, nope. Downcast is a worse version of PocketCasts.

noirstronaut fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Nov 29, 2013

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

The Batman posted:

Agreed. Switched from Instacast when iOS 7 dropped and I absolutely love it. Background downloads are my favorite thing.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Delivery Status is on sale for $2.99. Rarely has sales.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What's the difference between pocketcasts and downcast?

snakeater
May 17, 2008

A paranoiac in reverse.
Or wait for Overcast, guys, because Marco.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

snakeater posted:

Or wait for Overcast, guys, because Marco.

I hate Marco more than I probably should, and with that comes the refusal to buy any of his apps.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

noirstronaut posted:

I hate Marco more than I probably should, and with that comes the refusal to buy any of his apps.

If it ends up being good, then great. Instapaper was great, and we all have to admit it. The entire onus of creating. Tumblr doesn't fall on him, so he's still got some points.

Gruber, on the other hand, can gently caress himself for giving you the privilege twice a year to buy shirts with a generic star on them for $20. Or "Buy my note taking app Vesper, released ~6 years too late in Summer 2013, because I'm John Gruber. It has less features than the others because those features are distracting." If you can't focus because an app has too many features, you need a straight up physical pen and paper.

Figured I'd get the jump on where the conversation is going to end up, but Marco is usually a brand because he makes decent apps. Many others are brands because they are blowhards.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

ICHIBAHN posted:

What's the difference between pocketcasts and downcast?

Also curious. In what ways would a very happy downcast user benefit from pocketcasts?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Lexicon posted:

Also curious. In what ways would a very happy downcast user benefit from pocketcasts?

Until they add global playback speed I'm sticking with Downcast

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

PocketCasts has all the features I see people like about Downcast and what I used to like about Instacast, plus what I consider a way superior playlist/sorting system.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Yeah, I'm happy enough with Downcast, but PocketCasts looks really nice if I was choosing from scratch.

Mollsmolyneux
Feb 7, 2008

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend... and you've never watched "Star Trek?"
Good Lord
I've always used Instacast, never considered switching. Is it worth it? I use it both my iPhone and iPad so I like the syncing of episodes etc.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Not exactly an iOS App deal, but I just saw on Twitter that Bed Bath and Beyond is selling $25 iTunes gift cards for $20, which is 20% off if you can't do the math. I'm going to go pick up a couple today.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
What's a good app I can use to learn and play Go?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

PaganGoatPants posted:

Dragon Go Client I've been told is the best, but honestly it still doesn't compare to real life. If you are anywhere near a university or large city, there are almost definitely free Go communities available.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
How are these remote desktop apps....

http://appshopper.com/business/jump-desktop-remote-desktop

http://appshopper.com/utilities/screens-control-your-computer-remotely

I've used Parallel Access and love it, but my trial is over and I can't afford the $90/year. The only other one I've tried was Slashtop which I didn't really care for.

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006

PaganGoatPants posted:

Smart go is one that I've heard good things about. As for playing online there is wbaduk, but dgs is probably better to start with. Wbaduk does have a bunch of problems for you to do which is pretty nice.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

Dragonrah posted:

I've used Parallel Access and love it, but my trial is over and I can't afford the $90/year. The only other one I've tried was Slashtop which I didn't really care for.

I haven't used it much but screens has always worked well for me. Took about 5 minutes to get it all setup.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

What's the best "use your ipad/iPhone as a mouse/keyboard on your windows 8 PC" app out there?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

crm posted:

What's the best "use your ipad/iPhone as a mouse/keyboard on your windows 8 PC" app out there?

remoteMouse works well enough for me under W7, I assume it's not broken under W8.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

crm posted:

http://mobilemouse.com/

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Dragonrah posted:

You can afford apple products but not $90/year for software you love?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

tuyop posted:

It does eventually pile up; it's possible It would be convenient, but isn't absolutely necessary, unlike other software choices. This is one of the dumbest arguments this thread enters into on a regular basis.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

tuyop posted:

Yes. And thank you for your amazing commentary.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

tuyop posted:

I'll never understand this mentality for my natural given life. "You can buy thing but you can't buy MORE things?"

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Dragonrah posted:

Bought both recently, just been using it with my Macs so far from both my iPhone and iPad.

Screens seems fancier if that makes sense, albeit it's mostly seen in the server list, just nicer looking and more polished. It has three finger swipe gesture support (up for Mission Control, down for app Exposé, left/right for switching spaces) and some other little niceties for using it with OS X. What it doesn't have is any control method other than direct touch (i.e. click where your finger touches), which makes it a pain in the rear end to use at times cause desktop UIs generally aren't meant for touch use. Their big thing is fully touch controlled, but it's also their main weakness. They added a mouse hover for 3.x at least, but it's still pretty awkward to use. Then again they pulled out the custom gestures they had in the previous 2.x versions :argh:.

Jump is spartan on the server list UI (particularly on the iPad where it's just blown up to full screen) but it works fine. It has multiple control modes and while it's not perfect in that department either it's better cause it at least tries to compensate for the finger on desktop UI issues. It doesn't have gestures (that I know of), but it does have three finger tap = toggle keyboard, which is much nicer for me. It also has a keyboard mode where it uses the iOS auto correct if you wish, nice if you're typing stuff up remotely. And it does RDP too instead of VNC only like Screens.

Speed wise (just talking OS X VNC again) Screens seems a little faster for full screen stuff, but Jump is pretty drat fast for smaller areas, and it lets you do grayscale or black and white for lower bandwidth if necessary. Both have SSH tunnel support, although I prefer Screens' way of automatically tunneling or not depending if you're on the LAN cause I don't save my password in it...which wouldn't be an issue with either app if they had a passcode lockout but that's a minor paranoia thing. And for multiple devices Screens has iCloud support which is really nice if you have a bunch of computers to set up. Jump does have import/export so it's not too bad there either I guess, but an extra step vs automatic syncing.

tl;dr Screens is a bit more polished but functionally Jump generally works better for me. (And if you're really cheap, Screens 3 was a paid update while I think Jump might've had free updates since the original release)

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

I'll never understand this mentality for my natural given life. "You can buy thing but you can't buy MORE things?"

When it's $.99 or even $3.99 I can understand--skip a coffee out or a meal out and get the thing that's more useful and less consumable. When it's $90 per year?! Skip your electric this month, whatevs.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
$90/year is 7.50/month. I spend about $40/month on myself in the form of pitas and coffee and apps. It would be no big deal to increase that to 47.50 by doing live modeling once a month (usually pays about $60 per session) or taking a small amount from vacation savings or spending only 32.50 on coffees and pitas. Hell, my credit card gives cash back rewards of like $300 per year.

But I didn't know that this was a tired old argument. If you don't want to add another nearly-$100 subscription to your life then cool, but I just thought it was weird that "can't afford it" was a justification when we all own like $800 devices that need to be repurchased every 2-5 years. Sorry!

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

Dragonrah posted:

I'm really partial to LogMeIn and they have a free app. I've always used Ignition though, I got it when it was $15, not $130...

crm
Oct 24, 2004

this worked great.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Dragonrah posted:

I'm currently using Teamviewer and have been pretty happy. It's free and simple. My only knock is that it causes some issues with full screen games.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

tuyop posted:

$90/year is 7.50/month. I spend about $40/month on myself in the form of pitas and coffee and apps. It would be no big deal to increase that to 47.50 by doing live modeling once a month (usually pays about $60 per session) or taking a small amount from vacation savings or spending only 32.50 on coffees and pitas. Hell, my credit card gives cash back rewards of like $300 per year.

But I didn't know that this was a tired old argument. If you don't want to add another nearly-$100 subscription to your life then cool, but I just thought it was weird that "can't afford it" was a justification when we all own like $800 devices that need to be repurchased every 2-5 years. Sorry!

I didn't know I needed a justification? For the record, If I could pay $8 a month for it instead of popping down $100 in one go, I probably would get it, but I can't and I have other things I'd rather or need to buy. And since I know you're probably going to wonder how I can buy any software, I'll tell you that I have iTunes credit to cover the cost of a sub $10 app. I only mentioned why I wasn't using PA because I felt the need to mention Parallel Access as one that I liked for the purposes of comparison to the ones on sale.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Just realized that my go-to cbr/cbz reader, Comic Flow, hasn't been updated in nearly a year now. Are there any better alternatives for comic reading on my shiny new iPad Air?

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

slomomofo posted:

Just realized that my go-to cbr/cbz reader, Comic Flow, hasn't been updated in nearly a year now. Are there any better alternatives for comic reading on my shiny new iPad Air?

I really like Comicrack with its windows companion app.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Dragonrah posted:

I didn't know I needed a justification? For the record, If I could pay $8 a month for it instead of popping down $100 in one go, I probably would get it, but I can't and I have other things I'd rather or need to buy. And since I know you're probably going to wonder how I can buy any software, I'll tell you that I have iTunes credit to cover the cost of a sub $10 app. I only mentioned why I wasn't using PA because I felt the need to mention Parallel Access as one that I liked for the purposes of comparison to the ones on sale.
Just ignore them. It's the same justification as "Well if you can afford to pay rent then you can afford to pay for every satellite TV channel plus the most expensive phone tariff too, since they cost less than your rent!"

I generally use TeamViewer and it seems to work decently enough, although my home internet speeds are too shoddy to make a fair comparison with any of the apps. Splashtop isn't bad for streaming on a local network.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

slomomofo posted:

Comic Zeal is still the king, as far as I'm concerned. Comic Rack has some stuff with the metadata that's cool, but unless you already have metadata entered on everything it's more trouble than it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

Comic Zeal is still the king, as far as I'm concerned. Comic Rack has some stuff with the metadata that's cool, but unless you already have metadata entered on everything it's more trouble than it's worth.

I think the syncing is the biggest benefit that comicrack has over zeal. The metadata thing is easily handled with the comicvine plugin. You cant go wrong with either one though.

• Locked thread