Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

PootieTang posted:

Didn't the destroy thing just destroy all reaper tech? The geth were freed from it right? And EDI was never infected with reaper tech was she?

Now that i think about it, what's the point of shepherd breathing ending if the next ME game is set in a different time period?

I understood Destroy to mean the destruction of all synthetic life, AIs, etc. I chose Control purely on the basis of the Geth being my favorite and not wanting to kill them, to be honest.

Because ~*happy ending*~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
After successfully murdering Jacob I started up 3 yesterday. I have played so much MP that even at 50% readiness I have enough war assets to beat the game without having done any missions. gently caress you, Council, I don't need your help :smug:

I've taken all 3 endings and I've come to like Control more and more. Everybody already expects Shepard to solve all their problems, fight their wars, and fix their poo poo. Control is the logical extension of that, but now when you piss Shep off you don't get a right hook to the face, you get your planet melted. Plus that way everyone gets to live without being full of nanomachines green circuitry.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lightning Knight posted:

I understood Destroy to mean the destruction of all synthetic life, AIs, etc. I chose Control purely on the basis of the Geth being my favorite and not wanting to kill them, to be honest.

Because ~*happy ending*~

I figured Destroy had the "Oh by the way the Geth and EDI die too!" stuff slapped on because otherwise every single player would just immediately do it without even thinking twice.

Starchild: You have three options, one: shoot those wires and destroy the Reapers. Two: Co-
Shepard shoots those wires

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I'm kind of wondering: Has anyone here actually done the "get so low a readiness rating that everything fucks up at the end" run of the series? Stuff like killing the Rachni Queen in 1, then saving her replacement, or letting Samara kill herself, then killing her daughter, for example.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
If you want a really low readiness, I think the best option is to simply not do side missions at all.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Jerusalem posted:

I figured Destroy had the "Oh by the way the Geth and EDI die too!" stuff slapped on because otherwise every single player would just immediately do it without even thinking twice.

Starchild: You have three options, one: shoot those wires and destroy the Reapers. Two: Co-

Pretty much. If Destroy hadn't had the caveat that it kills the Geth and to a lesser extent EDI I wouldn't have given the other two options a second thought.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Regalingualius posted:

I'm kind of wondering: Has anyone here actually done the "get so low a readiness rating that everything fucks up at the end" run of the series? Stuff like killing the Rachni Queen in 1, then saving her replacement, or letting Samara kill herself, then killing her daughter, for example.

This is my preferred gently caress up run. I don't know how it rates with Galactic readiness but I think it gives a decent bad things happen score to the entire trilogy.

quote:

ME1.
Colonist, sole survivor either gender. Make sure your face is ugly as sin.
Recruit Liara last for added craziness.
Don't recruit Garrus.
Let Wrex live on Virmire.
Romance either Ashley or Kaidan but pick them to die on Virmire.
Don't help Kirahe's team on Virmire.
Kill the Rachni queen.
Be a general dick about executing people etc.
Don't do the Jenna quest on the citadel but do all of Conrad's quest
Don't save the council

ME2
Don't release Grunt from the tank until after the Suicide mission
Sell Legion to Cerberus
Pick Morinth over Samara
Shoot Conrad in the leg and do his mission
Only have the following loyal team mates Jack, Morinth(unavoidable if you recruit her),Tali and Zaeed.
Romance Jacob or Thane if female (may need extra loyalty but it won't affect anything)
Romance Tali if male. (the payoff is in ME3)
Have dinner with Kelly so that she appears in ME3
Take all upgrades for the ship
Send Jacob into the vent. He dies.
Have Zaeed lead the fireteam (makes no difference)
Use Miranda for the bubble and have Garrus and Kasumi as your teammates, this kills Garrus.
Send Morinth back with the crew and save them (the death pay-off is in ME3)
Have Thane lead the second fireteam. He dies.
Leave Zaeed, Tali, Mordin and Kasumi to hold the line while Jack and Miranda go to the final battle. This should leave Mordin and Miranda dead.
The only survivors of the mission will be Zaeed, Morinth, Tali, Jack and Kasumi. However you can now wake Grunt but leave him disloyal.
Save your game and go romance Morinth.

ME3
Do Kasumi's side mission. She dies there.
Don't rescue Jack and the students at Grissom, Jack appears later as a phantom.
Morinth will also appear later as a banshee.
Save the cloned Rachi queen. Send Aralak company to their deaths along with a disloyal Grunt.
Not doing Mordin's quest in ME2 means you don't have Maelons research. Eve dies.
Betray Wrex by siding with the Salarians.
Kill Padok Wiks when he discovers the sabotage.
Kill Wrex when he shows up on the citadel for revenge.
Side with the Geth on Rannoch. Tali commits suicide.
Kill either Ashley or Kaiden during the coup. The councillor will die due to Thane and Kirahe being dead.
When Kelly confesses to spying on you for TIM get angry with her. She will commit suicide off screen.
Do Conrad's quest on the Citadel but he will get killed due to you not doing Jenna's quest back in ME1
Romance Diana Allers
Since Miranda is dead it is now possible for her sister to die on Horizon.
Go to the final battle with as low an EMS as possible. Whomever you bring to the beam assault will die
there.
Zaeed lives.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Jerusalem posted:

It's consistent at least. I was pissed until I remembered that geth are part Reaper now, so now I'm just mad you have no option to stop the geth becoming part Reaper.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Hank Morgan posted:

Romance Diana Allers
OK look, some things are just to horrible to contemplate. If you really want to be a douche, gay romance Cortez and then you get blown up anyway so he's doubly scarred.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Lightning Knight posted:

Pretty much. If Destroy hadn't had the caveat that it kills the Geth and to a lesser extent EDI I wouldn't have given the other two options a second thought.

None of the Destroy ending slides actually shows the geth and EDI dying (aside from her name on the wall in the final scene with the crew) so you can easily just pretend this dumb thing never happened!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Regalingualius posted:

If you search YouTube for 'mass effect 2 worst possible ending' there's one where he has 2 or 3 people left and the galaxy is pretty much hosed.

There are a few videos of me3, but most of them just show the refuse ending from the extended cut in full.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 2, 2013

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

None of the Destroy ending slides actually shows the geth and EDI dying (aside from her name on the wall in the final scene with the crew) so you can easily just pretend this dumb thing never happened!

It does by exclusion, as Control and Synthesis show the Geth with the Quarians on Rannoch (assuming you saved both that is) and Destroy doesn't.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I assume they don't actually show them being destroyed because Bioware was too terrified to inflict a negative emotion on their audience by that point. The whole extended destroy ending really lacks teeth.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
If you played Leviathan Destroy has the added bonus of an organic Reaper race with those loving mind control balls everywhere.

God-Emperor Shepard alldayerryday

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bobby Deluxe posted:

If you search YouTube for 'mass effect 2 worst possible ending' there's one where he has 2 or 3 people left and the galaxy is pretty much hosed.

There are a few videos of me3, but most of them just show the refuse ending from the extended cut in full.

Somebody recently posted a video of an ME3 ending where EVERYBODY but Joker died. That little plaque with Shepard's name floats over to the memorial wall all by itself.... or maybe Joker just finally reveals that he had super-awesome biotic powers all this time and never mentioned it.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Somebody recently posted a video of an ME3 ending where EVERYBODY but Joker died. That little plaque with Shepard's name floats over to the memorial wall all by itself.... or maybe Joker just finally reveals that he had super-awesome biotic powers all this time and never mentioned it.

I don't think this is possible without a hacked save - Traynor can't die, unless you have a really low EMS in which case everyone on the Normandy is dead.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

2house2fly posted:

It's consistent at least. I was pissed until I remembered that geth are part Reaper now, so now I'm just mad you have no option to stop the geth becoming part Reaper.

Which is really stupid because in Me2 Legion makes a big deal about how the Geth want to build their own future rather than advance thanks to Reaper tech. Then suddenly in Me3 they're a-okay with Reaper tech. I get that they initially used it for survival but once the Quarian-Geth war was over there's no reason for the Geth to keep using Reaper tech as that's against what they wanted, but they do it anyways.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Vigilance posted:

Which is really stupid because in Me2 Legion makes a big deal about how the Geth want to build their own future rather than advance thanks to Reaper tech. Then suddenly in Me3 they're a-okay with Reaper tech. I get that they initially used it for survival but once the Quarian-Geth war was over there's no reason for the Geth to keep using Reaper tech as that's against what they wanted, but they do it anyways.

I agree with this, but I think there's an argument to be made that Legion had that glimpse of sapience, true sapience, and what it would mean for his people, and how the Quarians were so ready and so close to destroying them, and I think it's meant to be taken as a value judgement. That the Geth are so desperate to be free, of both material, physical things like the Quarians, but also of their own personal limitations, their lack of true free will and independent personality. I found that to be rather compelling, when I thought about it, and it's part of why I found the Quarians to be so monstrous when I played that section of the game. I was completely ready to sink the Migrant Fleet until I realized there was an option to save both.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
But I don't think that in ME2 the geth were portrayed as not having "true sapience", just sapience in different, non-individualistic form. ME3 decided not to work with that and instead make them pine for individualism, and some fans of the geth didn't like that and felt like it made them less interesting.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
It also raises a lot of questions. Like, is every Geth process a full individual? If so, what happens to all the ones who are already in platform bodies? If not, and it basically makes Legion an 'I' instead of a gestalt, wouldn't that be an ethical mindfield because you're forcefully subsuming Geth processes into a whole that they might not want to be in?

etc. etc.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I agree that it's a complicated direction I don't really like that they went in, but I think it also has merits in its own right and couldvr been interesting if it weren't there to both force a stupid moral dilemma and somehow make the Quarians having any shot at beating the Geth in open war not laughable stupidity.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

Actually, this is my favorite ending out of all of them, and it's a shame that it's so hard to get. Sure, the Crucible destroys the Reapers, but it also kills everyone on Earth, and possibly the other planets. Maybe next time, you idiots won't play with doomsday devices that you don't understand!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Pattonesque posted:

poo poo, if you don't download the extended cut she disembarks from the Normandy on Blue Lagoon planet!

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

SubponticatePoster posted:

poo poo, if you don't download the extended cut she disembarks from the Normandy on Blue Lagoon planet!

If you don't download the extended cut, it looks like the remnants of the entire fleet is stuck at Earth due to the destroyed mass relay, and the Turians/Quarians will starve because it's likely that most of the Quarian Liveships were shot down due to being sitting ducks, and there isn't enough dextro food to get them anywhere.

And Blue Lagoon planet is Earth, Bioware said so :colbert:

VVVV - Destroy always takes out the Reapers.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Dec 2, 2013

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Mr. Cool Ice posted:

Actually, this is my favorite ending out of all of them, and it's a shame that it's so hard to get. Sure, the Crucible destroys the Reapers, but it also kills everyone on Earth, and possibly the other planets. Maybe next time, you idiots won't play with doomsday devices that you don't understand!

Hell, if I'm remembering the descriptions of it right, you gently caress up so badly that it doesn't take the Reapers out at all, just destroys all galactic civilization.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Pattonesque posted:

Adams: "EDI doesn't pilot the Normandy; she is the Normandy."

The last shot in the Destroy ending (before the tag) is of the Normandy taking off, good as new.

Q-E-fuckin-D.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Kibayasu posted:

No, it's pretty true. Feel free to try using Avenger over the Vindicator for the entire game. Or the Viper over the Mantis. Or the Predator over the Carnifex. The damage upgrade alone of those over the previous is significant, unlike in ME3 where there's an attempt to use recoil, accuracy, rate of fire, etc, to introduce pros and cons.

I love the viper. With a soldier it's fantastic. I take it every time.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

epenthesis posted:

The last shot in the Destroy ending (before the tag) is of the Normandy taking off, good as new.

Q-E-fuckin-D.

Edi's dead, bro.

sassassin posted:

I love the viper. With a soldier it's fantastic. I take it every time.

Word. ME2's weapons might have had less variation than Mass Effect 3's, but they're definitely not straight upgrades. The Vindicator is one of the best guns in the game and you get it super early on. Not to mention that ME2 introduced the idea of recoil, accuracy, rate of fire and such as distinctly different options to the series, rather than blips on a slider as in the first game.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

epenthesis posted:

Q-E-fuckin-D.
Strap a few wheels on a corpse and it'll roll just fine. :haw:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

Edi's dead, bro.

Word. ME2's weapons might have had less variation than Mass Effect 3's, but they're definitely not straight upgrades. The Vindicator is one of the best guns in the game and you get it super early on. Not to mention that ME2 introduced the idea of recoil, accuracy, rate of fire and such as distinctly different options to the series, rather than blips on a slider as in the first game.

The Vindicator is the only other assault rifle in the game if you don't take the Revenant (or buy the DLC) and it has a massive damage increase. That's basically the definition of "straight upgrade."

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

The Vindicator is the only other assault rifle in the game if you don't take the Revenant (or buy the DLC) and it has a massive damage increase. That's basically the definition of "straight upgrade."

Except it isn't, because there are other considerations within the mechanics of the game such as full-auto vs. burst fire and the various defences that influence decisions towards the other options.

Granted, the Vindicator is, unfortunately, rather overpowered, but it's not the definition of a straight upgrade, by definition.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

Except it isn't, because there are other considerations within the mechanics of the game such as full-auto vs. burst fire and the various defences that influence decisions towards the other options.

Granted, the Vindicator is, unfortunately, rather overpowered, but it's not the definition of a straight upgrade, by definition.

It does more damage to all types of defence then the Avenger, it has better accuracy, and if you tap the fire button it fires faster while still being more accurate.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

It does more damage to all types of defence then the Avenger, it has better accuracy, and if you tap the fire button it fires faster while still being more accurate.

Yeah, it's their lop-sided balancing that's the problem there, not the underlying weapon definitions, classes and variety as defined by the game's mechanics. On paper it works perfectly, in practice, like I said, the Vindicator is an unfortunate outlier in the vein of the Mattock.

Maybe Bioware are just bad at balancing Assault rifles.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

Yeah, it's their lop-sided balancing that's the problem there, not the underlying weapon definitions, classes and variety as defined by the game's mechanics. On paper it works perfectly, in practice, like I said, the Vindicator is an unfortunate outlier in the vein of the Mattock.

Maybe Bioware are just bad at balancing Assault rifles.

There's only 6 rifles in the entire game, 3 if one excludes the weapon DLC. The Vindicator isn't an "outlier" it's a third of the default weapons of its class.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

It's an outlier in terms of the intended design of the game and what the mechanics support.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If you've not beaten ME2 with the Avenger and Predator to maintain cut scene integrity then I guess you're not as autistic as I am.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

It's an outlier in terms of the intended design of the game and what the mechanics support.

Oh, I see. I'm arguing against a perfectly balanced fantasy version of ME2, not the game we actually got. All the games I create in my head are perfect too.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I find that hard to believe.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Shotguns would be a better example of what Dan Didio is talking about, I think!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

GenericOverusedName posted:

Shotguns would be a better example of what Dan Didio is talking about, I think!

Pretty much anything except the Assault Rifles.

• Locked thread