Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
So Paul Walker, of Fast and Furious fame, was killed after crashing his Porsche today. The most appropriate way to respond to this?

I'm trying to decide whether to respond with this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threatening_the_President_of_the_United_States

Laminator fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

THE GAYEST POSTER posted:

The only thing I've seen is this: http://blog.tsa.gov/ which seems to show they've at least stopped some things.

That blog blows me away every time I read it. Why are there so many people trying to bring loaded weapons onto the plane in their carryons?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

That blog blows me away every time I read it. Why are there so many people trying to bring loaded weapons onto the plane in their carryons?

Seriously, considering that you can send most firearms in your stow luggage with no issue. Just no ammo.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

ShortStack posted:

Conservatives hate the TSA now because it's run by the government and the government is a black man.

I think it's more accurate to say that the increases in government in power during the Bush administration were only meant to be used against brown people. The TSA screens white people too, hence its unpopularity. The NSA reason why the NSA was supported in 2006 and unpopular now was due to Edward Snowden's revelation that white people were also being surveyed.

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator
Had Thanksgiving dinner last night with Tea Party aunt's family (we did it on Friday for various ease-of-scheduling reasons), and she's just so loving irritating to talk with.

- Classic tactic: she bitches about something. My sister's boyfriend (works in public transit, we don't agree on everything, but he's smart and intellectually honest) and I refute her Fox News talking point. She simply redirects, "Well, let me ask you: what do you think about Obama lying about everything?"

- Talking to her about my new job (I was in the restaurant biz for over a decade. Finished a degree and lucked into a management consulting job), and she asked about future possibilities. Among others, I mentioned that Private Equity is one possible vector for management consultants who have financial and operations consulting experience. She looks at me very seriously and says, "Well, now that you're thinking about that, don't you admit that Mitt Romney would have been a better President?" Because apparently having the possibility of going into the same general industry as someone automatically means that you think they'd be a good presidential candidate. The mind boggles.

CoolZidane
Jun 24, 2008

Laminator posted:

So Paul Walker, of Fast and Furious fame, was killed after crashing his Porsche today. The most appropriate way to respond to this?

I'm trying to decide whether to respond with this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threatening_the_President_of_the_United_States

Play dumb and ask what his status means. Keep asking for clarification until he flat out says "I want Obama dead." Then you call him out for being a shithead.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

CoolZidane posted:

Play dumb and ask what his status means. Keep asking for clarification until he flat out says "I want Obama dead." Then you call him out for being a shithead.

Yeah this is what I generally do, people get really uncomfortable when they have to explain their weird death fantasies.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

CoolZidane posted:

Please do this, and screenshot the aftermath?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

CarterUSM posted:

- Classic tactic: she bitches about something. My sister's boyfriend (works in public transit, we don't agree on everything, but he's smart and intellectually honest) and I refute her Fox News talking point. She simply redirects, "Well, let me ask you: what do you think about Obama lying about everything?"

"It bothers me slightly less than when you do it."

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I opted out of Thanksgiving this year, but apparently my dad had an earful from what I've been told. Things such as my uncle refusing to get on the ACA even though it would be greatly beneficial to him as he did have leukemia a short 10 years ago and it would reduce the amount he pays for insurance and poo poo (same dude refused to go on disability because of his pride).

I told my dad that if I had gone down, I would be pretty much just be staring at my 3DS and ignoring Right Wing Media Talking Point for the week.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My crazy tea party cousin reposted this:

Last I checked public schools were still reciting this mindlessly. I also love that rather than just making a Facebook post with this, someone wrote that in a word / text document, printed it, took a photo of it, and then uploaded the photo to Facebook instead.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

seiferguy posted:

Last I checked public schools were still reciting this mindlessly. I also love that rather than just making a Facebook post with this, someone wrote that in a word / text document, printed it, took a photo of it, and then uploaded the photo to Facebook instead.
Public schools still do this*. I don't know why people think that schools don't do this anymore.

*Source: I work at public schools.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

seiferguy posted:

Reply that the generation that grew up NOT reciting that beat Hitler and Tojo, and that the generation that DID repeat it got their asses kicked in Vietnam. The pledge makes you weak.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

seiferguy posted:

I once asked why people do this and was told that it was so people that didn't have English fonts could still read it. Not sure how often that the person would read English but not have the fonts installed, but that was the non :tinfoil: response.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
There are hidden subliminal messages in the jpeg fragments.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Ofaloaf posted:

Public schools still do this*. I don't know why people think that schools don't do this anymore.

Some do, some don't. The school I went to pre-K did, but none of the schools I went to K-12, all in the same city, did. People believe that whatever weird practices their schools have (or whatever anecdote they heard about a school doing something that confirms their biases) can be copied to every school.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

duffmensch posted:

I once asked why people do this and was told that it was so people that didn't have English fonts could still read it. Not sure how often that the person would read English but not have the fonts installed, but that was the non :tinfoil: response.
I've also heard of people doing that to fool Big Brother style text scrapers, much like the 0bama nonsense.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Ofaloaf posted:

Because people hear stories and they think that public schools are havens of underage sex and involuntary religious conversion. I had a relative tell me that there was a mandatory religion class in California public schools that forced kids to pray towards Mecca.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Fulchrum posted:

Reply that the generation that grew up NOT reciting that beat Hitler and Tojo, and that the generation that DID repeat it got their asses kicked in Vietnam. The pledge makes you weak.

This is a solid response; maybe tack on this video if you just want to poke fun at their patriotism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=618U-_8o31k

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

seiferguy posted:

I remember reciting the pledge of allegiance in school. And I remember several years going by before I realized that it was "under the republic for which it stands" and not "under the republic for witchid stands. It might as well have been in Latin or just a sequence of gibberish sounds for all the impact it had, because oddly enough 3rd graders aren't really ready to contemplate the issues it brings up.

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007

Guilty Spork posted:

I remember reciting the pledge of allegiance in school. And I remember several years going by before I realized that it was "under the republic for which it stands" and not "under the republic for witchid stands. It might as well have been in Latin or just a sequence of gibberish sounds for all the impact it had, because oddly enough 3rd graders aren't really ready to contemplate the issues it brings up.

I always wondered what the hell "donzerly light" was in the Star-Spangled Banner.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Deific Presence posted:

I always wondered what the hell "donzerly light" was in the Star-Spangled Banner.

For me, the worst of it was

Our father, who wart in Heaven,
hollow debbie thy name;
thy kingdom come,
thy will be done
on earth wasitwisin heaven.
Givus thistay our daily bread,
and forgive us our trestlepasses,
as we forgive those who trestle against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom,
the power, and the glory,
for ever and ever.
Amen.

I had the whole thing memorized in a slurred and incomprehensible fashion for most of my childhood. Rote recitation was absolutely meaningless.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Laminator posted:

Pft as if the Porsche is what caused it, we all know that this was an OBAMA DRONE STRIKE!

http://truthernews.wordpress.com/2013/12/01/fast-and-furious-star-paul-walker-assassinated-by-obama-drone-strike/

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
The pledge thing probably varies by state or even by school district, but at least here in Texas students have to pledge allegiance both to the United States and Texas. In fact, one of the candidates running for lieutenant governor next year is the state legislator who wrote a law that added "under God" to the Texas pledge in 2007. He is very proud of this fact.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Guilty Spork posted:

Also, it's "and to the republic for which it stands", not "under the republic".

...Then again, I'm one to talk, since I've still got "Adeste Fideles" memorized from 4th grade, and I don't speak a lick of Latin. Rote memorization is a powerful thing.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Guilty Spork posted:

I poo poo you not, my kindergarten teacher's name was 'Mrs. Widget' and I thought it was the COOLEST thing that there was a shoutout to my teacher in the Pledge of Allegiance.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Swan Oat posted:

The pledge thing probably varies by state or even by school district, but at least here in Texas students have to pledge allegiance both to the United States and Texas. In fact, one of the candidates running for lieutenant governor next year is the state legislator who wrote a law that added "under God" to the Texas pledge in 2007. He is very proud of this fact.

Oklahoma used to require kids to pledge allegiance to both flags when I was a kid, although I don't think you have to salute the Oklahoma flag anymore, just the American one.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
I am really glad I am not the only person who has mangled their national anthem. I have mine memorized half in English and half in French and I'm really rusty on the French. :canada:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mister Bates posted:

Oklahoma used to require kids to pledge allegiance to both flags when I was a kid, although I don't think you have to salute the Oklahoma flag anymore, just the American one.
I never had to pledge allegiance to the Oklahoma flag when I went to school there in the 90's. That's pretty hilarious since the Oklahoma flag is just an Osage symbol on a blue field. Oh, if only...

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Pft as if the Porsche is what caused it, we all know that this was an OBAMA DRONE STRIKE!

http://truthernews.wordpress.com/2013/12/01/fast-and-furious-star-paul-walker-assassinated-by-obama-drone-strike/

Holy poo poo. You know you're in deep when you're considering Alex Jones to be a secret double agent.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DarkHorse posted:

I've also heard of people doing that to fool Big Brother style text scrapers, much like the 0bama nonsense.

The next time someone claims that you should post reverse image search apps and articles about text-recognition software such as cameras that can read your license plate number from a picture, just to see what happens.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I never understood why students had to pledge their allegiance to their country every single morning. Was pre-teen treason a significant problem?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Coffee And Pie posted:

I never understood why students had to pledge their allegiance to their country every single morning. Was pre-teen treason a significant problem?

'Get em while they're young or we'll have more Rosenbergs'

Was the logic, I think.

Mc Do Well fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 2, 2013

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What would Obama get out of assassinating Paul Walker?

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Because public schools are only about education as much as required to serve as a veneer over the fact that they're really about teaching obedience and unconditional subordination to authority. That's why.

(I'm not really posting that ironically either, which is sad)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Edible Hat posted:

What would Obama get out of assassinating Paul Walker?

Barrack Obama can't maintain an erection unless he drones some one.

If you wanna prove me wrong go ahead obama.

Show us the bone certificate.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Ofaloaf posted:

hollow debbie thy name;
thy kingdom come,
thy will be done
for ever and ever.
Amen.

I had the whole thing memorized in a slurred and incomprehensible fashion for most of my childhood. Rote recitation was absolutely meaningless.

My family moved to a new neighborhood when I was 10 and I found myself enrolled in Catholic school for the first time. Needless to say, for the first few years I learned the common prayers phonetically in some sort of strange pidgin language.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ofaloaf posted:

hollow debbie thy name;
thy kingdom come,
thy will be done
for ever and ever.
Amen.

I wonder what the right-wing/Freep thinks of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJiHDmyhE1A

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Blue_monday posted:

I am really glad I am not the only person who has mangled their national anthem. I have mine memorized half in English and half in French and I'm really rusty on the French. :canada:

Tony stwar etoon ay popaeyeu day ploo brilliance explowa

Edit: I was born in Montreal, my French is pathetic :( :canada:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Someday monkey play piano song? Play piano song?