Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Blackfriday shopped the pads+ blocker....now I get to wait 8-10weeks Q_Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

titanium posted:

Blackfriday shopped the pads+ blocker....now I get to wait 8-10weeks Q_Q

Whoa, who'd you order the G2s from?

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

Spookydonut posted:

Yup

Can you get away with being in net with player skates though?

One practice one of our forwards threw on my pads for laughs. He didn't really play a pure butterfly, so he didn't worry about not having that toe edge, however the toe ties constantly slipped below the blade because there's isn't a good projection to keep them in place on player skates. Biggest problem I saw really. As for getting hit in the skate, a lot of newer skates (my Bauers being one of them) don't even have a high protectve shell anymore anyways. Mine pretty much just is the cowling, and slightly above it now. The way pads are made now though, it'd be tough to get hit above the cowling. Although I did take a shot right on the toe tonight that didn't tickle.

Also took a shot off my collarbone, right on the edge of my C/A. Gonna end up with a nice bruise from it, but I'm pretty sure there was no break. Guy took a big rising hard wrister from the slot that caught me almost under the mask. Was a a playoff semifinal tonight for one league, we won 6-5 after going down 3-0 in the first 5 minutes. Giveaway to a guy alone in the slot, screen deflection I never saw, and a loose puck an untouched guy buried to my side. Luckily we bounced back, got a couple bounces (we scored while killing a 5-3, one of our dman blocked a shot almost down to the other end, goalie beat him just to it above the circles, went to clear it, our guy intercepted and fired into the empty net), and scored the game winner with 45 seconds left on an amazing end to end rush that got dropped off to the trailer all alone in the slot.

We play a team we beat 6-5 in OT twice this season in the finals. Both games we blew 4 goal third period leads when we let off the gas a ton. Hopefully we don't this time.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Bradf0rd posted:

Whoa, who'd you order the G2s from?

That Roddy Rod guy on the GSBB, runs the goalie crease shop in Canada's sales. In the past they've gouged the poo poo out of you for prices so I never considered but they had some BF special so the pads+blocker were the same price I paid for my G1 pads from GoalieMonkey

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

titanium posted:

That Roddy Rod guy on the GSBB, runs the goalie crease shop in Canada's sales. In the past they've gouged the poo poo out of you for prices so I never considered but they had some BF special so the pads+blocker were the same price I paid for my G1 pads from GoalieMonkey

Ah, that's the first I've seen of anyone having them available to order so far. I really like the looks of the G2s and am in the market for some new pads shortly.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
So I spent almost 3 hours today geared up on the ice. It was pretty fun, though I haven't had a work out like that since my field hockey days. For an ice sport I was really hot, though it didn't occur to me to just lie down. I soaked through two tshirts with sweat.
Plenty of just being peppered with pucks, but the coach gave me a lesson on how to use my stick. The drills were good, I was able to read the plays well. I started to get the hang of freezing the puck when it was loose near the net, fighting my field hockey training to clear it instead.
I ended up using my own pants and box as they were basically the same as what they had.
The pads were pretty beaten up, missing a strap on one and leaking a bit of the stuffing, but they were secure enough and I got the hang of them. The chest armor was pretty good, old but good. Helmet was relatively modern.
The goalie stick was broken and right handed, but the gloves we found were left handed. Only goal I let in during the scrimmage towards the end of the session deflected off the slightly floppy backwards curved stick into the goal.
All of it was still a bit wet, but years of roller derby has given me an iron nose against smelly gear.
Everyone was really friendly and helpful, will definitely be back next week where they might have right handed gloves and an unbroken stick!

Anyone have recommendations for cheap/good gear or should I just be hunting for whatever I can get? Should I avoid second hand stuff?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Heat is one of the aspects of goaltending that you don't expect. Under Armour style shirts and compression pants/shorts are a good idea. They'll help keep you cooler and dryer, but still expect your shirt to be saturated in sweat when you're finished.

As for sticks, you will wear your blocker and hold your stick with your dominant hand and you will wear your trapper and catch with your off hand. Freezing the puck is a good thing, but you won't always be able to do that, so when you can't cover the puck, then you will want to use your stick, blocker, and pads to direct the rebound into the corner, which gives your team a chance to get control of the puck or at least give you a chance to reset and catch your breath.

I'm glad you're having a good time. Used gear is perfectly fine, it's just a matter of finding things that fit and are in good condition. That's going to be hard to do in Australia, so check with aejix and see how he gets his gear since he deals with the same challenges that you do.

Also, don't be afraid to use your field hockey instincts, especially when the play breaks down.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Yeah I was throwing some foot leading leg saves in there. What I mean is that in field hockey it's drilled into keepers not to give away short corners as they are dangerous scoring opportunities. So at all costs you avoid lying on the ball or having it trapped in your pads. Also loose balls, whether just in front of you or like 5 meters away, mean you charge at it aiming for a toe kick to clear it. Not really possible to toe kick in skates, and using a stick or side of the foot is too slow in field hockey. Given the pace of ice hockey that sort of thing is glacial in comparison.
I was starting to butterfly on shots, though usually early or late. I was using the rinks skates, I understand what you mean about the toes on goalie skates now to get back up.

What should one be doing when the puck is behind the net?
Also what does the measurement on leg pads refer to, and how do I work out what size I should get?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I wouldn't worry too much about playing the puck behind the net at your stage in development. If there's a ton of time, you can try playing it, but normally your D will take care of it. It is interesting to think that it is drilled into to you to never cover or hold onto the ball, that will be a definite change not just with covering the puck, but even things like catch the puck with your body, which is a weird skill you develop playing net.

As for figuring out pad size, how tall are you? Secondly, you will need a measurement called ATK (Ankle to Knee) where you measure from the middle of the ball on the outside of your ankle to the middle of your knee cap. That information will put you into a general size range. Though to add to the confusion, the sizing is different for each manufacturer and sometimes pad line, so if you give us your height and ATK, then we give you an idea of what to look for.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I'm 5'11" and my ATK is 17".

I meant more like should I turn around to keep eyes on it.

Edit: Oh god my upper back/shoulders are sore. I didn't think to stretch there.

Spookydonut fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 4, 2013

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Aniki posted:

As for sticks, you will wear your blocker and hold your stick with your dominant hand and you will wear your trapper and catch with your off hand.

I do the opposite, lol.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
In the absence of coaching, Spooky, here's an old goalie school video from 1994 that teaches some of the basics. Note this is from 1994, so some of the nuances in the metagame of goaltending have changed, but the basics remain largely the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ofccXpBhxo

Edit: Ergh, seems the audio codec screwed up. WHOOPS! In that case enjoy Satan's whispers superimposed on an old goalie training video.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Won 6-5 in a shootout today. Had some trouble with my blocker side tonight, but kept battling and made some really nice saves to keep us in the game. This is that I got concussed against the last time we played them, so beating them and winning the shootout this time around was especially satisfying.

I'm also getting better about using my gloves to protect my head. I made a nice blocker save in front of my face and then with about 5 minutes left, I was down in a butterfly and they unleashed a high shot through traffic. It was actually a very similar play to how I got concussed, but this time around I kept my gloves up and I was able to snag the puck about an arm's length in front of my face. I know that I'll still take shots to the mask, but it certainly behooves me to use active hands and try to limit the number of shots I take to the mask.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Tried doing some of these today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w93a32vS5E
Had trouble getting any power/grip out of my skates.

Ended up running through some of these, though when I did some simple shooting drills I was still basically glued to the spot and not covering the angles well.

It's also so much easier to use the stick with my right hand, though sadly they only have the one set of (left-handed) gloves.
These are what I was working with (they're apparently 34"), some of the straps were coming loose and getting under the skate, definitely bringing tape next time!

Fake edit: Ouch.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Spookydonut posted:

Tried doing some of these today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w93a32vS5E
Had trouble getting any power/grip out of my skates.

Ended up running through some of these, though when I did some simple shooting drills I was still basically glued to the spot and not covering the angles well.

It's also so much easier to use the stick with my right hand, though sadly they only have the one set of (left-handed) gloves.
These are what I was working with (they're apparently 34"), some of the straps were coming loose and getting under the skate, definitely bringing tape next time!

Fake edit: Ouch.

The good thing about playing full-right (stick in the left hand) is that it is much less common for shooters to see and provided that you are naturally right handed, then you'll have an easier time playing the puck, since you'll be able to shoot naturally. You can also sometimes find really good deals on full-right gloves, since there are fewer people looking for full-right gear and shops will often try to just move that stock and cut their losses. Also, if you didn't grow up playing baseball, then you may be less inclined to catch with your left hand.

Wit those pads, you may want to play more of a stand up style. You can still butterfly when necessary, but take advantage of your field hockey training and don't feel compelled to morph yourself into a pure butterfly goalie. Basically learn as much of the fundamentals as you can and then develop a style that you are comfortable with.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
Oh God what am I doing?

Aniki posted:

I'm also getting better about using my gloves to protect my head.

I had a problem with headbutting shots for the longest time until suddenly, it seemed, I was gloving those shots. While everyone laughs at the headbutt, that quick glove save always looks awesome.

Welcome to the sport and the position, Spookydonut. The best advice I can give you for now is, as Aniki pointed out, just go with your field hockey instincts. I got into it just going with my baseball infielder instincts and have survived thus far. Hopefully aejix will make an appearance soon and give you an idea on how to import better gear into Australia because those pads have to be at least 20 years old and make doing any sort of butterflying incredibly difficult.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I know it's trying to cut down on weight, but nothing on the outside seam of the pad? No padding to cover the distal part of the knee for those off angle shots from the goal line?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

I do the opposite, lol.

My glove hand is so bad (after 7 or 8 years of playing) that I think I may just do the same thing if I can find a cheap glove and blocker.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Bradf0rd posted:

Oh God what am I doing?

Nice looking pads. I'm curious to see what you and titanium think of them. I've been interested in the Subzero 2's, but if the Warrior pads are well received, then I would definitely consider them. I really like Brians smart strap system and I like that Warrior is trying their own version and I like their idea to replace both the toe ties and boot straps. I also like the idea of being able to adjust the curve/break of the pads, since not being able to decide on a double break or single break pad is part of what's delaying my decision.

quote:

I had a problem with headbutting shots for the longest time until suddenly, it seemed, I was gloving those shots. While everyone laughs at the headbutt, that quick glove save always looks awesome.

It's been a pretty sudden change for me too. I was really freaked out after my concussion and since I've returned to the ice, I have been much better about keeping my gloves up and it seems like my thinking has switched from making the save and taking up space (e.g. blocking butterfly) to protecting my head, which has lead to me playing with much more active hands. Since I've returned, I've only taken three shots to the mask. Two were soft deflections and one was a relatively slow shot that the shooter tried to roof from right in front of the crease.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Bootcha posted:

I know it's trying to cut down on weight, but nothing on the outside seam of the pad? No padding to cover the distal part of the knee for those off angle shots from the goal line?

All pads come with the new version of Ritual Pro kneepads. I currently have this version:

Plus if you're doing the VH or some other post-hug, typically your glove or blocker will be hanging down there. I currently don't have a knee cradle in my Vaughns and haven't been hit there, at least not that was hard enough that I remember.

Aniki posted:

Nice looking pads. I'm curious to see what you and titanium think of them. I've been interested in the Subzero 2's, but if the Warrior pads are well received, then I would definitely consider them. I really like Brians smart strap system and I like that Warrior is trying their own version and I like their idea to replace both the toe ties and boot straps. I also like the idea of being able to adjust the curve/break of the pads, since not being able to decide on a double break or single break pad is part of what's delaying my decision.

Thanks. I was holding off a bit waiting to see what all the new innovations would be for the year and also debating on the single or double break. Warrior coming out with the adjustable break, adjustable gloves, and bootstraps sealed it for me. They're going to be at least 2x what a new set of Simmons would've cost me but they seem to be a few years behind now, unfortunately.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Bradf0rd posted:

All pads come with the new version of Ritual Pro kneepads. I currently have this version:

Plus if you're doing the VH or some other post-hug, typically your glove or blocker will be hanging down there. I currently don't have a knee cradle in my Vaughns and haven't been hit there, at least not that was hard enough that I remember.

Thanks. I was holding off a bit waiting to see what all the new innovations would be for the year and also debating on the single or double break. Warrior coming out with the adjustable break, adjustable gloves, and bootstraps sealed it for me. They're going to be at least 2x what a new set of Simmons would've cost me but they seem to be a few years behind now, unfortunately.

I've been very happy with my Ritual knee pads and it does seem like wearing knee pads has become almost standard at this point.

How much are the Ritual G2 leg pads? I know that the Subzero 2's are right around $1,700 and while they are an extremely well made and innovative pad, I've had a tough time justifying that price point. I may wait until May and see if I can score a deal on a sample set.

I haven't paid much attention to Simmons lately, but it does seem like Brians and Warrior are really innovating right now and I imagine it is difficult for them to keep up. Hell, even bigger companies like Vaughn and RBK/CCM seem like they're falling behind. I should also note that you can get decent pads for a lot cheaper than the price I mentioned, but a lot of us are gear whores and are always looking for the latest and greatest equipment on the market.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Aniki posted:

I've been very happy with my Ritual knee pads and it does seem like wearing knee pads has become almost standard at this point.

How much are the Ritual G2 leg pads? I know that the Subzero 2's are right around $1,700 and while they are an extremely well made and innovative pad, I've had a tough time justifying that price point. I may wait until May and see if I can score a deal on a sample set.

I haven't paid much attention to Simmons lately, but it does seem like Brians and Warrior are really innovating right now and I imagine it is difficult for them to keep up. Hell, even bigger companies like Vaughn and RBK/CCM seem like they're falling behind. I should also note that you can get decent pads for a lot cheaper than the price I mentioned, but a lot of us are gear whores and are always looking for the latest and greatest equipment on the market.

I was quoted $2200 for the entire set w/o shipping (leg pads, glove, blocker, knee pads). I feel like Reebok/CCM are doing some innovation but Vaughn is just sticking with what they're good at (which they are good at it). After playing for 10 years, this will be not only my first custom set of gear but my first brand new set of gear. I had been looking at Simmons for a while but got a nice bonus at work which happened to coincide with the release of the G2s. It was destiny. :D They should last me a nice long while, too. For ice hockey I've always been lucky enough to buy pro-stock gear at a decent price and it lasts for a while.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Bradf0rd posted:

I was quoted $2200 for the entire set w/o shipping (leg pads, glove, blocker, knee pads). I feel like Reebok/CCM are doing some innovation but Vaughn is just sticking with what they're good at (which they are good at it). After playing for 10 years, this will be not only my first custom set of gear but my first brand new set of gear. I had been looking at Simmons for a while but got a nice bonus at work which happened to coincide with the release of the G2s. It was destiny. :D They should last me a nice long while, too. For ice hockey I've always been lucky enough to buy pro-stock gear at a decent price and it lasts for a while.

That's not bad at all for a full set of pro gear. I'm very curios to see how the G2s work out for you guys. The only problem I'll have is that my local hockey shop doesn't carry Warrior goalie gear due to issues they had with the first generation gear. It seems like those issues are a thing of the past, but I'd need to go to California to actually try on the gear. I was considering going out to LA later this month for the Krampuslauf, but I'm not sure when Goalie Monkey would start getting sets in.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bradf0rd posted:

Eh, call me a sissy, but I think I'd prefer some protection from the pads in addition to the kneepads. Because I wouldn't count on my proper muscle memory habits to protect my knee from a lapse in form, or from one of my strange desperation flops.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Bootcha posted:

Eh, call me a sissy, but I think I'd prefer some protection from the pads in addition to the kneepads. Because I wouldn't count on my proper muscle memory habits to protect my knee from a lapse in form, or from one of my strange desperation flops.

How much padding do your V3s have on the outside? My V2s I had before my V3s only had a very thin piece of nylon used more to hold me in the knee cradle.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
Goalie dudes, I need advice.

I've been using my Rituals since February and I just can't get to liking them. Rebounds are uncontrollable and the whole blocking-board pad thing is not working for me. I went back to my McKenney Pro Specs for the last two skates and it was fantastic being in a (very broken-in) flexible, rebound-killing pad. I found that I miss the double breaks as well.

So I went to the store today, tried everything on and found a pair of Brian's Zero Gs that were pretty nice. Not perfect, but I liked them. Now comes the killer: I can get them for $650.

Does anyone have any experience with Zero Gs? How much will they break in? I know they won't be soft like my McKenneys or a Vaughn, but they'll be more-so than my Rituals. Can anyone tell me anything about them?

Bradf0rd posted:

Dang, how sharp are you going now? They look at me all goofy when I want a 1/2" radius down here.

To re-answer this, I've gone to 1/4" and it's awesome. I loves it.

EDIT: For those of you using Ritual knee pads, do you have problems with the lower "knee" part getting stuck on the outside of the large "middle" part? Because I do. I don't know how to deal with it. It causes my Ritual pads to over-rotate and all kinds of problems.

nahanahs fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 6, 2013

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

nahanahs posted:

EDIT: For those of you using Ritual knee pads, do you have problems with the lower "knee" part getting stuck on the outside of the large "middle" part? Because I do. I don't know how to deal with it. It causes my Ritual pads to over-rotate and all kinds of problems.

I have it happen sometimes, but it's so rare I just ignore it. It seems to fix itself.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

nahanahs posted:

I've been using my Rituals since February and I just can't get to liking them. Rebounds are uncontrollable and the whole blocking-board pad thing is not working for me. I went back to my McKenney Pro Specs for the last two skates and it was fantastic being in a (very broken-in) flexible, rebound-killing pad. I found that I miss the double breaks as well.

So I went to the store today, tried everything on and found a pair of Brian's Zero Gs that were pretty nice. Not perfect, but I liked them. Now comes the killer: I can get them for $650.

Does anyone have any experience with Zero Gs? How much will they break in? I know they won't be soft like my McKenneys or a Vaughn, but they'll be more-so than my Rituals. Can anyone tell me anything about them?

If they're first gen ZeroG's they wont break in. They're extremely stiff and will remain so their entire life, I had them for a year and could never feel entirely comfortable in them. Their knee landing is fantastic though.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

nahanahs posted:

I had a set of Zero Gs before. I liked the pads, very light, not super soft in the shins like most Vaughn pads, but they play like a more normal style pad. The G-Netik is the line that proceeded them. The only reason I got rid of my Zero Gs was that the pads were too short for my liking and I didn't like my knees sliding out of the top of the knee stacks, but that wouldn't be an issue of you got the right sized or erred bigger.

I haven't had that issue with the Ritual knee pads, but I will admit that I adjust the lower strap fairly tight so that it feels "right" when I wear those knee pads. As for over rotation how much slack do you have on your toe ties or do you have a sliding toe bridge?

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bradf0rd posted:

How much padding do your V3s have on the outside? My V2s I had before my V3s only had a very thin piece of nylon used more to hold me in the knee cradle.

I got a 1/2 of padding inside a nylon sock. Admittedly it's not much, but it's padding.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

titanium posted:

If they're first gen ZeroG's they wont break in. They're extremely stiff and will remain so their entire life, I had them for a year and could never feel entirely comfortable in them. Their knee landing is fantastic though.

How can I tell what gen they are? This is them:
http://i.imgur.com/LAOBjM0.jpg

They're not as stiff as my Rituals, so from my perspective, it'd be a step in the right direction.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

nahanahs posted:

How can I tell what gen they are? This is them:
http://i.imgur.com/LAOBjM0.jpg

They're not as stiff as my Rituals, so from my perspective, it'd be a step in the right direction.

Those aren't the original graphics. I know there was the Pro Stock that had the Halak graphic and that's a different graphic than either the original or Halak, so they're be more recent. Probably the last model before the G-Netiks.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Bootcha posted:

I think you mean lateral. Distal would be below the patella.

Jordan7hm posted:

My glove hand is so bad (after 7 or 8 years of playing) that I think I may just do the same thing if I can find a cheap glove and blocker.

My issue is that I'm a lefty through and through. Catch with my right hand for baseball, but the problem when I got into playing goalie was full right gear was hard to find. So I taught myself to catch with my left. In ways, being lefty, I think I have a pretty good glove hand because its my dominant hand. I actually tried switching to full right once; bought a cheap set of blocker and glove, and tried it in warmups a few times, and couldn't do it. Even though on the baseball field, catching right isn't weird, I couldn't do it on the ice. So I stick with being regular. I'm just a terrible stick handler, since I'm not a lefty shot.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

Aniki posted:

Those aren't the original graphics. I know there was the Pro Stock that had the Halak graphic and that's a different graphic than either the original or Halak, so they're be more recent. Probably the last model before the G-Netiks.

These are identical to the Halak models. They're referred to as the Lack graphic, because Eddie Lack used it.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Won another shoot out tonight. Game should have never got to a shoot out in the first place, but I'll take the win.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Lindsey Fry, who both Joey Walnuts and I have skated against, is the cover story for this month's USA Hockey Magazine. I can't really claim to know her other than skating against her a few times, but I was aware of her efforts to make the USA Women's Hockey team and it's cool to see someone that you've skated against go on to represent the US. Hopefully, she'll make the final squad for Sochi and realize her dream.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
Titanium (or anyone that knows), tell me the difference between the first and second generation Zero G pads and how the second gen would be different from the G1 Rituals, please.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

nahanahs posted:

Titanium (or anyone that knows), tell me the difference between the first and second generation Zero G pads and how the second gen would be different from the G1 Rituals, please.

The reviews/vids I watched about the 2nd Generation of Zero G seemed to stress they were a more flexible pad or could be optioned that way. It was specifically the boot area I thought was too stiff, they have a good shape and they push well/land well but the boot bothered me enough to sell them. If you like them get them, they're a quality pad that are light as can be.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Caught a puck with my body today!
Also found some right handed gloves, and someone brought a non-broken stick (though it was left handed). I don't think the catcher was designed for ice hockey though, I caught one with my thumb/palm and it still hurts.

Took the thread's advice and wore a thin 'thermal' base layer shirt, was much cooler.

I need to work on a warmup/stretching routine, a lot of new muscles I don't know how to stretch yet.

Anyone have advice on complementary exercises for fitness/strength? Things like squats and sit-ups?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Look for Maria Mountain on youtube. It'll have everything you ever dreamed of.

Also, took a puck to the cup lastnight on a desperation right to left save on a 3 on 1. Felt good for a minute or two. Weird thing too, is the last two games I've played (for different teams), separate players have said I had played my best game they've seen in a while, even while giving up 1 and 3 goals in the two games. I'm not sure what I'm doing differently, I've felt really comfortable though, and I feel like I've had a really active, well placed stick lately too. I dunno what's clicked, but I'm glad it's happening now, as I'm rolling into the playoffs in 2 weeks with 2 teams, and start the finals with my other on Wednesday.

• Locked thread