Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

Countblanc posted:

Is it a one-shot? The showdown damage calc shows crit surf as a (likely) 2hko, and play rough as also a 2hko, and obviously kingdra is faster. Is that calc wrong?

Against max hp Kingdra, choice band Azumarill does 158-186% with play rough.

I'm using this calculator that factors in fairy types and moves. http://pokemonshowdown.com/damagecalc/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Red Metal posted:

Did you put any EVs in defense/HP? Because this is what I'm getting.

252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kingdra: 372-440 (127.8 - 151.2%)

I forgot to set Huge Power, so that explains it. So yeah Azumarril is a problem for him, but I can't think of an option for him that really covers that beyond "have someone else kill it."

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Sorry, tropius is actually the worst pokemon. Not because of stats or anything, it just sucks. Exeggutor is the better 'weird fruit thing' pokemon and Aurorus is the better 'dinosaur with a long neck' pokemon. Tropius just doesn't have anything going for it. I mean it's kinda weird, but not in a memorable way. I'd suggest picking a different favorite pokemon.

Man. I always feel bad when someone says their favorite is like Tropious or Bibarel.

And here I am with my favorite as Gengar :shobon:

Octag
Sep 16, 2012
A supereffective Hidden Power (Electric, Grass, Poison) hits Azumarill pretty hard:

252 SpA Sniper Kingdra Hidden Power Poison vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill on a critical hit: 288-342 (71.2 - 84.6%)

It doesn't score a clean KO but if Azumarill's taken any prior damage it's a goner. Do you use Ice Beam all that often? Water/Dragon is such amazing 2 move coverage and neutral Draco Meteor does more than super effective Ice Beam so it might be safe to drop it for Hidden Power.

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.

Classtoise posted:

Man. I always feel bad when someone says their favorite is like Tropious or Bibarel.

Gengar is definitely my favorite, too! I got lucky, two of my favorites are good, or at least not bad, the other being Aerodactyl.

Articuno, on the other hand...

Oh Mister B
Feb 29, 2008

i could not get thru september w/o a battle
Is Battle Spot being funky for anybody else today? Can connect to the internet fine but won't connect to nintendo servers. Huh.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Not sure about Free Battles, but Nintendo disabled Ranking Battles for some reason.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Txn posted:

Not sure about Free Battles, but Nintendo disabled Ranking Battles for some reason.

I hope this means they're trying to fix the Battle Analyzer thing that'd give hackers an edge in online battling.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Octag posted:

A supereffective Hidden Power (Electric, Grass, Poison) hits Azumarill pretty hard:

252 SpA Sniper Kingdra Hidden Power Poison vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill on a critical hit: 288-342 (71.2 - 84.6%)

It doesn't score a clean KO but if Azumarill's taken any prior damage it's a goner. Do you use Ice Beam all that often? Water/Dragon is such amazing 2 move coverage and neutral Draco Meteor does more than super effective Ice Beam so it might be safe to drop it for Hidden Power.

I pretty much use it to secure kills on things that are hurt and resist water, but that's not a bad idea. It hits Togekiss for a solid amount over Surf, but both are still 2HKOs the vast majority of the time (HP: Poison is a 2HKO). The other thing I find myself using it on is Ferrothorn after a Meteor just to avoid the 10% miss chance, but it's still probably better to replace it with a useful hidden power. Poison or Fire both seem like good options.

e: forgot to plug in some EVs, numbers fixed

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 2, 2013

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Bibarel is actually cool though. Water/Normal STAB gets amazing type coverage, Moody is so powerful as to be banned by Smogon, and Simple lets him set up Curse twice as fast.

Also, look at him

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Electric is better than poison since it also hits Empoleon slightly harder than Draco Meteor on top of hitting Azumarill. You also only have to lower one IV (Special Attack, unfortunately) instead of three.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

I actually like Bidoof. Its so goofy looking its adorable. :3:

Its also vaguely useful in Little Cup on smogon so yeah.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

MinistryofLard posted:

I actually like Bidoof. Its so goofy looking its adorable. :3:

Its also vaguely useful in Little Cup on smogon so yeah.

Bidoof looks like it has that one disease that gives you a bunch of facial tumors and poo poo. The Pope was in the papers for praying over a man with it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Meat Recital posted:

Bibarel is actually cool though. Water/Normal STAB gets amazing type coverage, Moody is so powerful as to be banned by Smogon, and Simple lets him set up Curse twice as fast.

Moody wasn't bad for being too powerful, I don't think. I'm pretty sure it was banned because it was a thing that randomly and passively boosted Evasion.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Countblanc posted:

Moody wasn't bad for being too powerful, I don't think. I'm pretty sure it was banned because it was a thing that randomly and passively boosted Evasion.
No, it was banned for being too powerful. Anything can just swap between Protect and Substitute until it's a giant pile of unstoppable buffs. Evasion is just a part of that.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Countblanc posted:

It's a combination of both, there was a dude who cited getting to 1800 on pokemon showdown consistently over a few alts running Moody Bibarel and Moody Octillery in Ubers, both running stall sets with Protect and Substitute with Lefties.

e;fb.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Classtoise posted:

But bibarel is cute and funny while tropius is just dumb looking and not weird enough to be memorable.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The Leper Colon V posted:

No, it was banned for being too powerful. Anything can just swap between Protect and Substitute until it's a giant pile of unstoppable buffs. Evasion is just a part of that.

It's not just that it was too powerful, it's that it was too powerful in a random and non-interactive way. It's like if OHKO moves were actually good.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Oh, well I stand corrected then! Either way gently caress Moody and evasion.

Octag
Sep 16, 2012

Zoness posted:

It's a combination of both, there was a dude who cited getting to 1800 on pokemon showdown consistently over a few alts running Moody Bibarel and Moody Octillery in Ubers, both running stall sets with Protect and Substitute with Lefties.

e;fb.

How good was 1800 back then? Are today's showdown rankings really, really inflated?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

So I'm making a Hydreigon with Focus Energy/Scope Lens for crazy crit spam. Obviously Draco Meteor is the main draw of the set, but what coverage moves should I put in the other two slots? Right now he has Dark Pulse and Flash Cannon, but at the very least there are a few fairies that don't give a poo poo about either of those. Is there another move that would do better than either of those or is my giant three-headed hydra just going to have to run in fear of keyrings and bunnies?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

But bibarel is cute and funny while tropius is just dumb looking and not weird enough to be memorable.

Maybe not memorable to you, but I sure as hell remember the first time I ran into a Tropius in the tall grass near Fortree City. I knew I had to own that grass sauropod.

Every pokemon is somebody's favourite.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Nessa posted:

Stantler.

There is no way Stantler is anyone's favorite. It's not possible.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I just connected to the same person over Wonder Trade twice in a row, second straight after the first trade. They gave me two Adamant Marills with Huge Power. What are the odds?

FSLink
Nov 6, 2009

LAY-ZX posted:

Stantler.

Nope, I met a person who's favorite was Stantler.

Battle Pigeon posted:

I just connected to the same person over Wonder Trade twice in a row, second straight after the first trade. They gave me two Adamant Marills with Huge Power. What are the odds?

Probably just coincidence and he/she was getting rid of breeding rejects.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

Nessa posted:

I know every pokemon is my favorite, at least. :v:

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
This afternoon Wonder Trade was unable to find a partner for me.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Is Vespiquen garbage like Ledian, or is it at least usable? It's so cool, I'd really like to try one someday.

One day we'll have Mega Ledian, and it will go straight to Ubers, mark my words. Just like mega Farfetch'd.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Blackheart posted:

Is Vespiquen garbage like Ledian, or is it at least usable? It's so cool, I'd really like to try one someday.

Vespiquen has the stats to be a decent staller, but "Bug/Flying" and "stall" don't play nice together. She's nowhere near as awful as Ledian, though, at least.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

So I was thinking of making a sandstorm team with Mega-Garchomp, Tyranitar, and maybe Hippowdon (not sure if this is a good idea as it's a bit too many common types on one team), and I was wondering what kind of other pokemon would complement such a team well. Galvantula seemed like a promising choice in my head since sticky web support would help compensate for Mega Garchomp's reduced speed after Mega-evolving, but I'm not sure where to go from there. Any experienced battlers willing to lend me a hand?

Also, I'm still not sure exactly what kind of set I want to run on my Mega-Garchomp. I nipped over to the Garchomp thread on the smogon forums and the Substitute set in that OP looks pretty good, though the idea of having a mixed Garchomp to take advantage of its respectable 120 base Sp. Atk and break through physical walls seemed appealing too. Anybody here have any success with Mega Garchomp, and if so what kind of set did you run?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Metagross is my favorite so I don't give a gently caress. My problem is that I generally love Steel types and end up with too many of them on my team. There are so many good ones though.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

BattleCake posted:

So I was thinking of making a sandstorm team with Mega-Garchomp, Tyranitar, and maybe Hippowdon (not sure if this is a good idea as it's a bit too many common types on one team), and I was wondering what kind of other pokemon would complement such a team well. Galvantula seemed like a promising choice in my head since sticky web support would help compensate for Mega Garchomp's reduced speed after Mega-evolving, but I'm not sure where to go from there. Any experienced battlers willing to lend me a hand?

Also, I'm still not sure exactly what kind of set I want to run on my Mega-Garchomp. I nipped over to the Garchomp thread on the smogon forums and the Substitute set in that OP looks pretty good, though the idea of having a mixed Garchomp to take advantage of its respectable 120 base Sp. Atk and break through physical walls seemed appealing too. Anybody here have any success with Mega Garchomp, and if so what kind of set did you run?

I haven't tried out mega garchomp, but some good complements are Klefki and Excadrill. I didn't get it done in time for this tourney(stupid pokemon y not having tyranitarite), but mega tyranitar going mega the turn after sandstorm ends would be great. Also try out tyrantrum, as it receives a special defense boost.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Would it be worth it to run Assault Vest on Chesnaught?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Metagross is my favorite so I don't give a gently caress. My problem is that I generally love Steel types and end up with too many of them on my team. There are so many good ones though.

I'd rather be spoiled for choice than love a bunch of useless crap. My favorite pokemon are bug types. Most bug types are poo poo, and even the good ones share a bunch of weaknesses. So as much as I'd love to load up a team with my bug bros it would end terribly.

Blackheart posted:

One day we'll have Mega Ledian, and it will go straight to Ubers, mark my words. Just like mega Farfetch'd.

Vespiquen is bad but nowhere near Ledian levels. This is solely because Vespiquen actually has base stats that aren't loving awful. That said, she is a bug/flying, one of the worst type combos in the game. You have to be packing something really good to make up for that type. However, Vespiquen doesn't have a good ability or exceptional stats. In fact, her stats are pretty awful because they set her up to be a bulky tank. A bulky tank that has one of the worst defensive types in the game. But hey, heal and attack order are nice...I guess.

I have no idea how you would use her since she is slow and fragile due to her type. I guess she might be okay in a trick room setup.

LAY-ZX posted:

Stantler.

Someone linked a website that compiles fanart of every pokemon. Before I went to that site I didn't believe compeltely unremarkable pokemon like Stanler, Basculin, or Mothim had any fans but apparently they do.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 2, 2013

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Nihilarian posted:

Not really. He likes having support moves, just switch him out of a special attacker shows up.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Nihilarian posted:

Nah. They like being able to either use Spikes, heal with Synthesis/Leech Seed, and/or play with Spiky Shield too much.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

I'd rather be spoiled for choice than love a bunch of useless crap. My favorite pokemon are bug types. Most bug types are poo poo, and even the good ones share a bunch of weaknesses. So as much as I'd love to load up a team with my bug bros it would end terribly.

Vespiquen is bad but nowhere near Ledian levels. This is solely because Vespiquen actually has base stats that aren't loving awful. That said, she is a bug/flying, one of the worst type combos in the game. You have to be packing something really good to make up for that type. However, Vespiquen doesn't have a good ability or exceptional stats. In fact, her stats are pretty awful because they set her up to be a bulky tank. A bulky tank that has one of the worst defensive types in the game. But hey, heal and attack order are nice...I guess.

I have no idea how you would use her since she is slow and fragile due to her type. I guess she might be okay in a trick room setup.

Someone linked a website that compiles fanart of every pokemon. Before I went to that site I didn't believe compeltely unremarkable pokemon like Stanler, Basculin, or Mothim had any fans but apparently they do.
My favorite Pokemon is Camerupt. For those of you who don't know/remember, it's a camel with a volcano on it's back introduced in Hoenn. Picked one up in Sapphire for reasons. Not very popular.

I named her Meriwether. Sadly, no other Camerupt ever matched her success for me.

Thanks for answering about Chesnaught. I figured that'd be the case.

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 2, 2013

Flowers
Mar 16, 2007

it's all fucking lewds

Internet Kraken posted:

Stantler isn't my most favorite one, but it's still up there with ones I love. I just like the look of them! I think they're cute. I used one in my first playthrough of Silver back however many years ago, and I still breed one up whenever I get the chance.

My most favorite is Porygon-Z, and it's driving me crazy not being able to use one. I just played Black a bit to do some breeding, where my bottom screen shows a Porygon-Z. Just sitting there, taunting me that I can't use one in the newest game yet.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
When growing berries, after the tree has bloomed and there are X number of berries, is that it? Will more berries show up if you leave the tree alone for more time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

pik_d posted:

When growing berries, after the tree has bloomed and there are X number of berries, is that it? Will more berries show up if you leave the tree alone for more time?

If you leave the tree alone it will wither and the berries will be gone. Pick them when you see them.

• Locked thread