Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
_Endgame_
Jun 19, 2010

NERF THIS!
My favorites kind of changed every gen until gen 3. Gen 1 was definitely Jolteon back then because I was in love with electric types and Jolteon was a super fast spiky eevee. This changed to Scizor in Gen 2 because holy crap its a shiny red metal badass hello it was a no brainer.

(un?)Fortunately In Gen 3 and onwards I settled on the best starter I ever had, Blaziken. Dude was a fighting fire chicken and that was the most badass thing in the world as a kid. He might have not been the most useful competitively(when shoddybattle was a thing) but I loved that chicken. Despite Gen IV being awful to it and picking up clear to ubers in V and VI I still remember Blaziken for Gen 3 and those old days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Internet Kraken posted:

Before I went to that site I didn't believe compeltely unremarkable pokemon like Stanler, Basculin, or Mothim had any fans but apparently they do.

Whaaaaaaaaaat are you insane ?? Mothim is easily top five pocket monster material

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Internet Kraken posted:

Someone linked a website that compiles fanart of every pokemon. Before I went to that site I didn't believe compeltely unremarkable pokemon like Stanler, Basculin, or Mothim had any fans but apparently they do.
My favorite is Spinda. I refuse to believe that any Pokemon isn't someone's favorite. :colbert:

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.

Rangpur posted:

As for the second question? Heliolisk. Heliolisk is the answer to your problems. Heliolisk is love. It's also fast as hell, gets a really nice Sp. Atk stat, learns Thunderbolt, Surf, and Dark Pulse for amazing coverage--all via TM so you don't even have to mess around with breeding. As a bonus it can also fit into any weather team except Hail, thanks to its abilities. It's one of my favorite new additions to the game.

From a couple pages back, but echoing this. I thought Heliolisk was worthless, but then I got a Solar Powered one to synergize with my Charizard-Y in doubles, tripples, and rotation, and he is a beast.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Internet Kraken posted:

Someone linked a website that compiles fanart of every pokemon. Before I went to that site I didn't believe compeltely unremarkable pokemon like Stanler, Basculin, or Mothim had any fans but apparently they do.

Basculin is a tiny fish with so much omnidirectional anger that it literally could not be contained in one sprite and he had to have two sprites made just to contain all of his hatred for the world. It should totally have fans.

It's not my favorite, sure, that's a tie between Drifblim and Magcargo, but Basculin totally rules.

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

by astral
Is Qwilfish anyone's favorite? That Pokemon is probably the most unremarkable one in my mind

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

LAY-ZX posted:

If you leave the tree alone it will wither and the berries will be gone. Pick them when you see them.

This philosophy extends into journeys and women as well, please apply the pick it before it withers message in daily life.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

The Leper Colon V posted:

My favorite is Spinda. I refuse to believe that any Pokemon isn't someone's favorite. :colbert:

Every pokemon is someones favorite. Every pokemon except Tropius.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Tropius is also my favorite.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

quote:

It takes dozens of hours to get to that point though. If you've been breeding and EV training in past gens it seems easy by comparison but it's still a pretty huge barrier to entry. For example you have to win 40 battles (two 20 game streaks) to get enough BP to get all six power items for EV training.

Exactly, also don't forget; in addition to getting power items you need to grind to get choice band, life orbs, and whatever else you need... not to mention second pairs of power items so you can ev train 2 guys at once.

I spent a few days breeding pokemon because I was sick in bed and couldn't do much else. In the end, the rain dance team I made was terrible in practice. Aside from an azurmarril I ev trained and kept for my old team of misfits made up of wondertraded pokemon, it was a giant waste of time. As previously mentioned all time saving measures require a hefty time investment itself. Getting pokerus, getting your guys infected with pokerus...

...then there's flying here, getting this, flying there, THEN you need to go through the actual process. EV training, leveling up, oh whoops I missed that TM in the main game, better go find that! Ok now to evolve this guy... oh wait; I dont have a stone. Well I'll go to a shop and NO WAIT ITS NOT AT THE SHOP... ok so I have to talk to this npc. Where is this npc; ok I'll look up a guide; there he is; ok let's go. Ok got the stone. Next gotta evolve this guy oh no wait; I have to use move reminder, fly over here... OH NO whoops; no heartscales; off to use my pokemiles. Ok got the heart scale now to get the move. Ok good; now to evolve this gu... Oh gently caress I need to trade him. Gotta open up IRC; hey guys can someone trade back a kingdra for me? Ok thanks. Got kingdra now I'm ready to actually play the game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

alcharagia posted:

Basculin is a tiny fish with so much omnidirectional anger that it literally could not be contained in one sprite and he had to have two sprites made just to contain all of his hatred for the world. It should totally have fans.

It's not my favorite, sure, that's a tie between Drifblim and Magcargo, but Basculin totally rules.

Normally I don't stuff like this, but Basculin is pure trash. He is trash in every possible way. His stats suck. His moves are boring. His sprites are lame. He's also mono water, one of the most :effort: types. You know why? Because he is the most :effort: pokemon. Everything about him is pure poo poo, and maybe it wouldn't make me so mad if HE DIDN'T POP UP EVERYWHERE I FISH IN THIS GAME GOD drat :byodood:

I'll forgive you though since Drifblim is definitely one of the best pokemon.

Valex posted:

Is Qwilfish anyone's favorite? That Pokemon is probably the most unremarkable one in my mind

He was when I was a kid. I like puffer fish a lot, and he is a cool puffer fish pokemon. I mean sure he's a bit poo poo right now, but his evolution is gonna be awesome. I can't wait to see it. He's gonna evolve any level now. Aaaaaaaaaany level now.....

I grinded one up to like level 70 before realizing he didn't have an evolution.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 2, 2013

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Internet Kraken posted:

Normally I don't stuff like this, but Basculin is pure trash. He is trash in every possible way. His stats suck. His moves are boring. His sprites are lame. He's also mono water, one of the most :effort: types. You know why? Because he is the most :effort: pokemon. Everything about him is pure poo poo, and maybe it wouldn't make me so mad if HE DIDN'T POP UP EVERYWHERE I FISH IN THIS GAME GOD drat :byodood:

I guess I just have an affinity for really angry Pokemon. I'm also very fond of Druddigon and Exploud, for instance.

Incidentally, I'm really sad that the name field isn't 15 characters, because I can't name a Hawlucha Osprey Mysterio.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Internet Kraken posted:

He was when I was a kid. I like puffer fish a lot, and he is a cool puffer fish pokemon. I mean sure he's a bit poo poo right now, but his evolution is gonna be awesome. I can't wait to see it. He's gonna evolve any level now. Aaaaaaaaaany level now.....

He evolves at level 71. :v:

This might sound like a cop-out answer, but Mega Charizard X is my new favorite. He's my two favorite colors, he's dragon type, his name reminds me of MegaMan X, and he wrecks Mewtwo's poo poo in the Origins OVA. What's not to love?

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Ohmygosh when you faint a kangashan the little baby turns around and hugs its mother :smith:

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

You think that sucks? I went into Silver mostly blind and, wow, is that a glyph pokemon? I bet it's actually super powerful since psychic is obviously the best type! Oh and he comes in multiple shapes this is wicked awesome! Unown, we're gonna be best pals forever!

... at least I could catch a Natu outside those drat ruins an he's actually pretty cool and adorable.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.

Tambaloneus posted:

Ohmygosh when you faint a kangashan the little baby turns around and hugs its mother :smith:

Because you killed her.

You monster.

(Its mega is straightforward and awesome though!)

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Blackheart posted:

You think that sucks? I went into Silver mostly blind and, wow, is that a glyph pokemon? I bet it's actually super powerful since psychic is obviously the best type! Oh and he comes in multiple shapes this is wicked awesome! Unown, we're gonna be best pals forever!

... at least I could catch a Natu outside those drat ruins an he's actually pretty cool and adorable.
oh god. Unown. So worthless. I feel your pain.

If it wasn't bad enough that it's useless, it has almost 30 forms. How much time and effort did they take away from other 'mon's for that?

And to top it off, they hyped it up as super powerful. It isn't.

Having said that, if it had had an interesting gimmick to it I'd be OK with them. It doesn't.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Blackheart posted:

Natu is the best bird pokemon.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

So after installing the 1.1 patch, it now says that my save file is not compatible and can't be used. The only information I'm given is to look at the electronic manual, which says to erase the save and start over. Am I screwed?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Are we talking about favorite Pokemon now?

Gold was my first Pokemon game and Ampharos has been my favorite since pretty much the first day I played it. I love that loving lighthouse sheep and I was so goddamn happy when I first saw his mega evolution. :allears:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Is there a way to make Wonder Trade not boot you back to the main game after every trade?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

_Endgame_ posted:

This changed to Scizor in Gen 2 because holy crap its a shiny red metal badass hello it was a no brainer.
When I played Gold, I remember trying to breed Megahorn onto Scyther over and over again so that I could use it on Scizor. :smith:

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

I would be very surprised if anyone said Drowsee or Dewgong was their favorite Pokemon.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

Shear Modulus posted:

Is there a way to make Wonder Trade not boot you back to the main game after every trade?

Um, what are you talking about? Is it the main screen where you select like new game and the event stuff or what?

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

Militree posted:

I would be very surprised if anyone said Drowsee or Dewgong was their favorite Pokemon.

I actually really like Dewgong. It was my water-'mon in Red many years ago. :shobon:

For whatever reason I have a stupid hard time deciding which Pokemon I want to use to Surf when I'm just playing a game for the first time, so my first choice ever has a special place in my heart.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
I am so sick of Charletaine Nina's Purugly and its uncannily accurate Hypnosis. How can it even be that fast? It has little stumps for legs!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

why oh WHY posted:

Um, what are you talking about? Is it the main screen where you select like new game and the event stuff or what?

I mean like the actual game so you have to click Wonder Trade -> Would you like to start a Wonder Trade? again.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Militree posted:

Drowsee I could see, but Dewgong is adorable! On its own merits, and due to my own overabundance of love for Seel. He's still responsible for my favorite line in the anime. He's just clapping for clapping's sake.

EDIT: I've never used Dewgong though. Man its stats are terrible. :( Mega-Dewgong please!

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

Ratspeaker posted:

I am so sick of Charletaine Nina's Purugly and its uncannily accurate Hypnosis. How can it even be that fast? It has little stumps for legs!

Seriously, how does such a fat animal have 112 base speed? :argh: Thankfully I kicked her rear end on my second time through but I don't even remember how. I think it involved boosting my Gyarados to +2 or +3, I can't imagine I would have out-speeded her otherwise.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Purugly bothering you? Breloom Technician Mach Punch. Problem solved.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

I'm thinking of building up a Heliolisk evasion tank with Sand Veil, Sandstorm, and Thunder Wave for lockdown. Maybe give it Thunderbolt and Surf for a bit of coverage. Yeah I know it's banned from Smogon but I'm probably never gonna play with them so who cares.

I mean I could probably go find one with Dry Skin but I like the one I've got :3:

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

I kind of liked Drowzee when I first saw it as a little kid. Thought it was a ballin' hypnosis tapir and that's pretty cool.

My favourite pokemon is still Ivysaur, after all these years. I don't give a drat if the grass starter sucks, I love him and thats that. :colbert: Clefairy is running a close second though.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Ratspeaker posted:

Bring a Dark-Type. I had a Pangoro on hand the first time I beat her and I'm never going in without either my Zoroark or my Hydreigon. Seriously, gently caress that Purugly. :argh:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Blackheart posted:

I want Gamefreak to make Mega Unown and have it somehow end up insanely good.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I want Gamefreak to make Mega Unown and have it somehow end up insanely good.

28 Sigilyphs glued together

Ruggington fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 2, 2013

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

Bring a Dark-Type. I had a Pangoro on hand the first time I beat her and I'm never going in without either my Zoroark or my Hydreigon. Seriously, gently caress that Purugly. :argh:

Dark types aren't actually immune to hypnosis. :eng101:

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Plasbad posted:

Dark types aren't actually immune to hypnosis. :eng101:

Though they are immune to Dream Eater. Pangoro gets an added bonus against Purugly; again, fighting types wreck all.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Militree posted:

Hypno is cool and therefore Drowsee is cool by association.

(This guy has a pretty great gallery full of Looney Toon-ified Pokemon that everyone should definitely check out, btw)

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012
Growlithe/arcanine is my fave. Then came Girafarig, Galvantula, Gourgeist.... I am noticing a pattern right now. Holy crap.

edit: Nope, forgot Kingler and Crustle. Those guys are amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Ratspeaker posted:

Magic Bounce :getin:.

Espeon does a lot of work in Maison, as does Mega-Absol, although Mega-Absol precludes you from running the monster that is Mega-Scizor.

Incidentally, M-Scizor doesn't give a crap what Purugly does to it.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Dec 2, 2013

• Locked thread