Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

MykonosFan posted:

Word is that M2 is going to be creating a second set of SEGA 3D Classics, which should make it West if they sell well enough in Japan. I'm pumped, went ahead and sent them an e-mail requesting OutRun 3D, though that'll probably happen anyways.

I wonder if this means Sonic 2 and SoR2 can get in this time.

I'd LOVE for some SoR2 portable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I wonder if this means Sonic 2 and SoR2 can get in this time.

I'd LOVE for some SoR2 portable.

Sonic 2 is probably a given, and I'd love Streets of Rage 2. Hell, I'd love a ton. I'll probably pick up every one of these eventually.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Should I get some of the Mario VC games on sale? I kind of feel like a sucker buying them again but VC games are great on the 3ds.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Super Mario Land 2 is really fun. WarioLand is my favorite, but SML2 will not let you down.
The NES games are still great, but there is a lot of good stuff on the eShop you may not have tried.

There's another character sale week left (Kirby, DK, Samus, Wario?) so you could hold off for that.
e: It's confirmed as DK.
http://www.nintendo.com/eshop/offers

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 1, 2013

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The GB games have somewhat wonky jumping controls but are still awesome and worth playing.

I think they have some of the most interesting worlds of any Mario game.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
So I think I may pick up that Mario vs Donkey Kong eshop game while i'ts a few bucks off. But what I want to know is if Gunman Clive is actually good, or did I get that recommendation from stupid people who think "well, it was only $2 and it's not total garbage!" I tried the demo for Mutant Mudds, which has similar "Must have eshop game" hype around it, but I thought it was really not fun and I love platformers.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Stan Taylor posted:

So I think I may pick up that Mario vs Donkey Kong eshop game while i'ts a few bucks off. But what I want to know is if Gunman Clive is actually good, or did I get that recommendation from stupid people who think "well, it was only $2 and it's not total garbage!" I tried the demo for Mutant Mudds, which has similar "Must have eshop game" hype around it, but I thought it was really not fun and I love platformers.

Enh, Gunman Clive is okay. It really is only good for the $2 price point, because it's really short and not particularly memorable. I wouldn't regret it for $2 but if you don't really have time to play it I wouldn't worry about it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Gunman Clive is a lot more interesting than Mutant Mudds and is something I can genuinely recommend, but it's a $2 game for a reason.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I really like the sketchy art style in Gunman Clive and wish more games would go for something memorable like that.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
What are some good 3DS eShop games that aren't just ports? I've already got Pushmo, SteamWorld Dig, and Crimson Shroud, all of which I liked. I guess I'm interested in something sort of RPG-y or strategy-y?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Get Crashmo if you liked Pushmo.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Hm, I'd be getting it because it's so cheap and I like platformers and am going to have a few dollars extra on my account after I get the Mario vs DK game. Sounds alright to me. Also the 18XX joke in the description for it on the eshop makes me want to throw a few bucks to whoever made it anyway.

Man I wish the gameboy/NES games were cheaper on this thing. I'd pick up the Gameboy Tetris for like a buck, easy. But at $4 I'm more inclined to go for the 3DS Tetris, which looks pretty ok.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Stan Taylor posted:

Hm, I'd be getting it because it's so cheap and I like platformers and am going to have a few dollars extra on my account after I get the Mario vs DK game. Sounds alright to me. Also the 18XX joke in the description for it on the eshop makes me want to throw a few bucks to whoever made it anyway.

Man I wish the gameboy/NES games were cheaper on this thing. I'd pick up the Gameboy Tetris for like a buck, easy. But at $4 I'm more inclined to go for the 3DS Tetris, which looks pretty ok.

I'm not sure if you know or are using a gift card, but you can pay the exact amount using a credit card these days. The few dollars extra left over isn't something that is always necessary any more.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Flame112 posted:

What are some good 3DS eShop games that aren't just ports? I've already got Pushmo, SteamWorld Dig, and Crimson Shroud, all of which I liked. I guess I'm interested in something sort of RPG-y or strategy-y?

Your question mark there tells me you're not sure, so buy Kokuga. Kokuga's really good. Play Kokuga.

If you're that into the idea of an RPG I guess there's Picdun 2, which is decent.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Shelf Adventure posted:

I'm not sure if you know or are using a gift card, but you can pay the exact amount using a credit card these days. The few dollars extra left over isn't something that is always necessary any more.

Yeah, I bought Pushmo like that. I'm gaming the system by making my little brother use his employee discount to buy me points cards at work though, so I get a flat ten percent discount on everything, essentially. :getin:

I want to get it, but was worried if it was secretly awful or something. I was really disappointed with that Mutant Mudds demo, so now I'm second guessing all of the games I was interested in before.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Stan Taylor posted:

Yeah, I bought Pushmo like that. I'm gaming the system by making my little brother use his employee discount to buy me points cards at work though, so I get a flat ten percent discount on everything, essentially. :getin:

I want to get it, but was worried if it was secretly awful or something. I was really disappointed with that Mutant Mudds demo, so now I'm second guessing all of the games I was interested in before.

Crashmo is really good.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Flame112 posted:

I haven't played them but I think those Denpa Men games are apparently pretty good RPGs

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Stan Taylor posted:

You kind of have to consider the time when Mudds came out, it was a very early eshop game and there were really slim pickings for 3DS games back then, both digital and retail. It was a fairly competent game that probably would be treated harsher now, but at the time it gave us something decent to play.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Denpa Men 2 is the one to get, as it's includes an overworld and towns and whatnot, whereas the first game is pretty much just dungeons.

The game does kinda hinge around acquiring new units by interacting with wireless hotspots, though, which irritates a lot of people. You can just use QR codes, but even that's a little inconvenient.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The AeternoBlade (3DS) devs have announced a release date: January 14 in NA/PAL-land, plus a PAL-land demo next week. Have another trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhga7ZQXs4g

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

That makes me realize how much I'd like to play Muramasa on the 3DS.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of December 5):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Scribblenauts Unlimited (December 6) - €49.99 / £39.99
WII U ADD-ON CONTENT
    Pikmin 3 All-New Mission Stages 12-15 x2 - €4.99 / £4.49
  • Collect Treasure! x4
  • Battle Enemies! x4
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Wii Fit U Trial Version (Wii U) - free for 31 days, available until January 31 (Balance Board required.)
    Toki Tori (Wii U eShop) - €1.99 / £1.79 until December 6
    EDGE (Wii U eShop) - €1.99 / £1.79 until February 1

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Bravely Default (December 6) - €44.99 / £39.99
    Scribblenauts Unlimited (December 6) - €39.99 / £34.99
    Monster High: 13 Wishes - €29.99 / £24.99
    Disney's Frozen: Olaf's Quest - €29.99 / £24.99
3DS eSHOP
    3D Altered Beast - €4.99 / £4.49
    3D Sonic the Hedgehog - €4.99 / £4.49
    Fishdom H20: Hidden Odyssey - €4.99 / £4.49
    Fun! Fun! Minigolf TOUCH! - €2.99 / £2.50 (permanent price reduction)
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Double Dragon (NES) - €4.99 / £4.49
3DS ADD-ON CONTENT
    Bravely Default SP Drink - first purchase €0.50 / £0.50, subsequent purchases €0.99 / £0.89 (December 6)
    DSiWARE
    [LIST]
    Hooked On Bass Fishing - 500 Points / €4.99 / £4.49
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    3D Game Collection (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.99 until December 8
    Funfair Party Games (3DS eShop) - €9.99 / £8.99 until December 8
    Murder on the Titanic (3DS eShop) - €6.99 / £7.49 until December 8
    Gardenscapes (3DS eShop) - €6.99 / £7.49 until December 8
    3D Mahjongg (3DS eShop) - €2.49 / £2.19 until December 8
    Heavy Fire: Black Arms 3D (3DS eShop) - €3.99 / £3.59 until December 12
    Luxor (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 until December 19
    Secret Mysteries in London (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 until December 19
    Jewel Quest 4 Heritage (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 until December 19
    4 Elements (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 until December 19
    Darts Up 3D (3DS eShop) - €1.49 / £1.34 until January 2

Yes, we're finally getting Scribblenauts Unlimited after, what, a year? They never did explain the delay, did they?

This round of Pikmin 3 contains all-new stages rather than remixes; stages include a factory, a beach and more (xmas tree!). There's also a new gimmick that involves rescuing Louie mid-mission, might be fun.

The Bravely Default "SP Drink" is a mobile-style microtransaction that lets you quickly replenish an in-game power gauge with real-world money; it's a completely optional, non-essential purchase and you won't miss anything by skipping it.

(Another BD note: all your progress from the demo transfers to the retail game, and there are exclusive quests/rewards that can only be accessed by clearing the demo. It's quite lengthy, so you might wanna get started now if you haven't already.)

3D Sonic has an added spin dash and some other minor enhancements but it's pretty much the same ol' game you all know and love. 3D Altered Beast is based on the home version rather than the arcade original (why?) and includes a new option to randomise the beast transformations for each stage. (2P co-op is in, too, but I don't remember whether it features Download Play.)

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

3D Altered Beast is based on the home version rather than the arcade original (why?) and includes a new option to randomise the beast transformations for each stage. (2P co-op is in, too, but I don't remember whether it features Download Play.)

I recall M2 saying in an interview that having to create ports for individual arcade games was slowing progress down significantly, and having a baseline for porting the Genesis titles made things much easier. Also, it's loving Altered Beast, are you really missing much?

EDIT: http://www.siliconera.com/2013/05/30/3d-altered-beast-developers-talk-about-adapting-genesis-games-and-whimsical-transformations/

quote:

“The project started 2 years ago (2011), the first one we started with was 3D Space Harrier, which took us about a year and a half.” Okunari told Game Watch. “Then the development for 3D Super Hang-On started sometime after we’ve progressed on the works for 3D Space Harrier, which took about a year. Even for titles that we’re very familiar with takes about this long for the transition (for a 3D version).”

Okunari continued, “Going at this pace of development, it would be another year for the next title to finish, which isn’t good news for the project. Therefore, in order to supply a degree of stability for the project, it was necessary to have it be a Genesis title. Considering it’s from the same hardware system, it requires less time spent on analysis while working on something that is originally from older hardware, which allows up to plan things out more efficiently.”

Champeenship fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Dec 2, 2013

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

So it's going to be the Sega Saturn version of Sonic 1, if the other minor enhancements include an easy mode and disabling timer death.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
^^Yeah, I remember that interview. There are a few little perks to the home version, like extra parallax, but the arcade version had more gibs flying at the screen or whatever. Still, it's Altered Beast.

Healbot posted:

So it's going to be the Sega Saturn version of Sonic 1, if the other minor enhancements include an easy mode and disabling timer death.

Nah, it's not a Sonic Jam port. Game-specific tweaks are pretty much limited to the spin dash (they called up Yuji Naka to help out, apparently), region select and maybe spike bug fix, I forget, plus the typical M2 additions (fake-CRT, audio settings that emulate the balance of different hardware revisions, etc)

EDIT: oh yeah, they added a control config. Okay.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

EDIT: oh yeah, they added a control config. Okay.

FINALLY, I hate trying to remember all the different buttons in Sonic 1. :confused:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What do you prefer? I always used a for jump, b for jump, and c for jump, but I know a lot of people prefer c for jump a for jump and b for jump.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
The only options for jump are ZL and ZR. Circle Pad Pro required.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Did Pac-Man Museum get delayed? It was supposed to be December 5th on all platforms. I'm itching to have an arcade-accurate Pac-Man (and some other versions) on my 3DS at all times, and I'll probably get the Wii U version too for the 4-player "Battle Royale".

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Looks like the Pikmin 3 DLC is out already, neat. You'll have to download an update before you can buy the DLC, but it includes a couple free stages (the xmas-themed ones, I think), so that's cool.

Minidust posted:

Did Pac-Man Museum get delayed? It was supposed to be December 5th on all platforms. I'm itching to have an arcade-accurate Pac-Man (and some other versions) on my 3DS at all times, and I'll probably get the Wii U version too for the 4-player "Battle Royale".

Looks like it, yeah. They straight-up stopped talking about it a while ago.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

The 3DS Youtube appilable is now available in all regions, have at it.

STILL not out in Japan. Currently at "December" - did Nintendo of Japan reject the app for being crap?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

ookiimarukochan posted:

STILL not out in Japan. Currently at "December" - did Nintendo of Japan reject the app for being crap?

No idea. Come to think of it, did they ever actually announce it for Japan?

Here's something funny about the Youtube app: it's actually just a web browser optimised for streaming video, and you can "trick" it into letting you surf the web and visit other video streaming websites if you really want to. (You can even use it to view "real" Youtube videos in high quality, but the buffering is intolerably slow.)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Here's something funny about the Youtube app: it's actually just a web browser optimised for streaming video, and you can "trick" it into letting you surf the web and visit other video streaming websites if you really want to. (You can even use it to view "real" Youtube videos in high quality, but the buffering is intolerably slow.)

Tell me your secrets!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

DoctorWhat posted:

Tell me your secrets!

Settings > Sign In, hit the "Google Terms of Service" link at the bottom, press any one of the links on the new page, press "Zoom Out" at the top of the next page, then scroll all the way down and you should be able to press "Google Home" and start searching.

There's no guarantee the videos on site xyz will actually play correctly, and the app itself tends to freeze/crash a lot just through normal use so it's still not especially practical, but it's still a neat trick, I suppose.

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
I went to the Zelda symphony last night and got tons of streetpass tags. I was amazed by how many people were actually using the youtube app

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

They did - I think that the Japanese announcement was the only one they specifically announced "BEFORE the end of November" rather than just "before the system update"

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

ayb posted:

I went to the Zelda symphony last night and got tons of streetpass tags. I was amazed by how many people were actually using the youtube app

It was likely a lot of people had just downloaded it and gave it a whirl to see what it's like and haven't played anything since. I doubt many people will keep using it in its current state.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of December 5):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Scribblenauts Unlimited (December 6) - €49.99 / £39.99
WII U ADD-ON CONTENT
    Pikmin 3 All-New Mission Stages 12-15 x2 - €4.99 / £4.49
  • Collect Treasure! x4
  • Battle Enemies! x4
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Wii Fit U Trial Version (Wii U) - free for 31 days, available until January 31 (Balance Board required.)
    Toki Tori (Wii U eShop) - €1.99 / £1.79 until December 6
    EDGE (Wii U eShop) - €1.99 / £1.79 until February 1

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Bravely Default (December 6) - €44.99 / £39.99
    Scribblenauts Unlimited (December 6) - €39.99 / £34.99
    Monster High: 13 Wishes - €29.99 / £24.99
    Disney's Frozen: Olaf's Quest - €29.99 / £24.99
3DS eSHOP
    3D Altered Beast - €4.99 / £4.49
    3D Sonic the Hedgehog - €4.99 / £4.49
    Fishdom H20: Hidden Odyssey - €4.99 / £4.49
    Fun! Fun! Minigolf TOUCH! - €2.99 / £2.50 (permanent price reduction)
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Double Dragon (NES) - €4.99 / £4.49
3DS ADD-ON CONTENT
    Bravely Default SP Drink - first purchase €0.50 / £0.50, subsequent purchases €0.99 / £0.89 (December 6)
    DSiWARE
    [LIST]
    Hooked On Bass Fishing - 500 Points / €4.99 / £4.49
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    3D Game Collection (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.99 until December 8
    Funfair Party Games (3DS eShop) - €9.99 / £8.99 until December 8
    Murder on the Titanic (3DS eShop) - €6.99 / £7.49 until December 8
    Gardenscapes (3DS eShop) - €6.99 / £7.49 until December 8
    3D Mahjongg (3DS eShop) - €2.49 / £2.19 until December 8
    Heavy Fire: Black Arms 3D (3DS eShop) - €3.99 / £3.59 until December 12
    Luxor (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 until December 19
    Secret Mysteries in London (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 until December 19
    Jewel Quest 4 Heritage (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 until December 19
    4 Elements (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 until December 19
    Darts Up 3D (3DS eShop) - €1.49 / £1.34 until January 2

NA update (week of December 5):

quote:

WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Legend of the Mystical Ninja (SNES) - $7.99
WII U ADD-ON CONTENT
    Pikmin 3 All-New Mission Stages 12-15 x2 - $4.99
  • Collect Treasure! x4
  • Battle Enemies! x4
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Toki Tori (Wii U eShop) - $1.99 until December 6
    EDGE (Wii U eShop) - $1.99 until February 1
    Donkey Kong (Wii U VC) - $3.49 until December 12
    Donkey Kong Jr. (Wii U VC) - $3.49 until December 12
    Donkey Kong 3 (Wii U VC) - $3.49 until December 12

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Couds with a Chance of Meatballs 2) - $29.99
3DS eSHOP
    3D Altered Beast - $5.99
    3D Sonic the Hedgehog - $5.99
    Brilliant Hamsters! (December 2) - $9.99
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Donkey Kong 3 (NES) - $4.99
DSiWARE
    Hooked On Bass Fishing - 500 Points / $4.99
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Donkey Kong (3DS VC) - $3.49 until December 5
    Donkey Kong Jr. (3DS VC) - $3.49 until December 5
    Game & Watch: Donkey Kong Jr. (3DS VC) - $1.39 until December 5
CLUB NINTENDO DIGITAL REWARDS
    Art Style: Cubello (WiiWare) - 150 Coins, available until December 8
    Dillon's Rolling Western (3DS eShop) - 150 Coins, available until December 8
    Metroid (3DS VC) - 150 Coins, available until December 8
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (Wii VC) - 200 Coins, available until December 8

(The NOA press release doesn't specify which "Donkey Kong" game is on sale on the 3DS VC this week, but I'm gonna hazard a guess and say it's probably the NES game and not the infinitely superior Game Boy game. Also, the G&W game is a DSiWare title, which makes this the first time a DSiWare game has ever gone on sale, as far as I know.)

Wii U dudes, note that Toki Tori is only on sale until tomorrow, so grab that if you haven't already.

Y'all ready for 3D ALTERED BEAST?

Fooly Cooly 25
Jan 18, 2005

Todo lo tuyo ahora es MIO
Wow, Nintendo has no idea how to do a proper sale, do they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Three stage arcade games are barely worth $1, let alone $5, or $3.49.

But holy poo poo a Goemon game? That's kind of surprising.