Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

WR250X is a fun loving bike. I rode Moto's R with a Baja tank and loved it. Has no problem hitting 85+ either. Personally I'd take one over a DRZ, especially considering they're the same price around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I also ride a WR and haven't noticed any problems with the FI. I don't have anything to compare it to though so maybe it is super snatchy and I just haven't realized it. It laso has easy aftermarket options that make ECU changes much easier than messing with jetting if you end up going that route. Also, no loving around with chokes or cold temp starting.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
DRZ Supremacy

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If youre ok with the power of the wr, go with that. If you want a little more punch, go with the DRZ.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

epalm posted:

I thought the SMC was the 690 supermoto. Educate me.

There's a much better write up on Supermotojunkie but I thought I'd put a little up here.

In about 2007 KTM replaced the old LC4 (625 / 640 / 660cc) engines with a new 654cc (labelled 690 - go figure), this was offered in the Duke and SM variants. The duke had dual vertical headlights and an underlying exhaust and it's suspension travel was a bit less, it also featured cast marchesini wheels. The SM had well, controversial styling, looking a bit Spy vs Spy from the old Mad magazine. The SM also had a bit more suspension travel and an exhaust that looked like it was taken off a truck.

In 2008 probably due to poor sales of the SM due to looks KTM released the SMC. The SMC featured more dirt bike like styling, lighter weight, better fuel and throttle mapping. The SMC is the one that everyone wants and as such is rare as hens teeth on the used market. KTM now offer a SMC-R that features an engine increased in size to a true 690 and more anodized orange farkles than you could poke a stick at. This is only available in the civilised world.

As I said in my previous post, if you like the styling and are prepared to spend a little cash on upgrades and plug your bike into your laptop you can make a SM (or duke for that matter) a much more lively beast, closer to the SMC.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
The ones with the true 690cc engine are called SMC-R.

The 690 is not actually ligher than the DRZ, it's about 8 kilos heavier (dry). Since I had both for a while, I'd say that the 690 feels more top heavy, and the DRZ feels lighter but doesn't turn in as quick, if that makes sense. The 690 has twice the power though.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

NitroSpazzz posted:

Around here (Knoxville) DRZ400SM and WR250X go for about the same amount of money. Right now I'm leaning towards the WR for the FI and 6-speed with a side benefit of being lighter (~25lb). It will see some offroad/fireroad use but not enough to justify a set of dirt wheels. Is there any other bikes that I should be considering? The SV, NX and GSX are going up for sale shortly but likely won't sell until spring.

Preemptive sorry for opening this :can:

I have two friends with WR250s and they love them. One of them rides KTMs with us, the other only rides street bikes and the WR. The guy that rides KTMs says he loves that it is easy and that he can thrash it and not care. He actually goes harder on the WR. The street guy says he loves how light and free it feels (but he is coming from sport bikes so take that how you will)

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I've borrowed a friends WR250 a few times and was pretty happy with it. Power isn't anything like the CRF I'm coming from but then maintenance and constant worrying won't be either. I should just start bugging my friend to sell me his, I know he isn't riding it for the next few months.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

The ones with the true 690cc engine are called SMC-R.

The 690 is not actually ligher than the DRZ, it's about 8 kilos heavier (dry). Since I had both for a while, I'd say that the 690 feels more top heavy, and the DRZ feels lighter but doesn't turn in as quick, if that makes sense. The 690 has twice the power though.

I dunno about the sm, but the smc is roughly 300 pounds ready to ride, ~30 pounds lighter than the DRZ.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Minty Swagger posted:

DRZ Supremacy

The looping possibility was too good to pass up.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Meanwhile at the mootmoot riding school.....

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Slim Pickens posted:

This is incredible. I think I just watched it for 5 straight minutes.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Just checking Craigslist out of curiosity for KTM 690s

Some dude wants $7,400 for a low mileage 2007 SM, Jesus

Do these things ever depreciate? Even in 1-2 years when I want to buy again a 2008 690 SMCwill still be the same price :(

No shortage of dukes, of course. :haw:

Does anyone on these forums even own one? I'd really love to try one they look like great fun.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Nov 30, 2013

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I don't get this forums relationship with the 690. It seems everyone who has owned one has been like: "this is the greatest bike ever, it's amazing!! Ps: I sold it already".

People seem to love them, but I don't think anyone has held on to one.

Perhaps that amazing resale is too tempting?

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Christoff posted:

Just checking Craigslist out of curiosity for KTM 690s

Some dude wants $7,400 for a low mileage 2007 SM, Jesus

Does anyone on these forums even own one? I'd really love to try one they look like great fun.

I have a 2007 SM I paid $5700 for at 8800 miles. PO was asking 6500 (Craig'slist) but he didn't give any photos, was in a weird corner of the city etc, so I waited him out a week and he called me.

I looked for two months on CL (Los Angeles) and before his there was one overpriced SMC for like 9grand.

I don't plan on selling mine anytime soon, unless I could quickly float the cash up to a SMC or R.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I don't get this forums relationship with the 690. It seems everyone who has owned one has been like: "this is the greatest bike ever, it's amazing!! Ps: I sold it already".

It's amazing! Ps: I sold mine yesterday.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

They're amazing! I bought one yesterday. I took a test ride up and down the parking lot and I pulled 2 wheelies!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

come talk to me in a week when its up on craigslist :smaug:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Sorry I should have specified I was talking about the 690 Duke. I never see them on the road and no one ever talks about them here. Who the hell owns them all?

I had a 2007 690 SM which is different from the 2008 690 SMC. Still an awesome bike and I do miss it. But I plan on getting a 2008+

KTM just makes nice (overpriced) bikes. And until someone makes a super moto without a ridiculous maintenance interval and 6th gear I'll stay with them. They kind of have that niche market cornered. They still aren't selling them in the US, correct?

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 30, 2013

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Over here the 690 SM and 660SMC are both the same price, from what I hear the 660 isn't a wise choice though. 690SMCs however, cost at least 1.5x as much and I haven't seen any of the -R's for sale.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

I'd still have my 690 SM but it got stolen a couple of months ago.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I sold mine because I felt bad about letting such a machine get stuck with commuting. No time to ride it properly and a desire to go 100% track and dirt.

I'll own another someday and never get rid of it. Its on my list of bikes I want to die with, possibly on.

And freeway wheelies everyday was a bad habit I needed to break forcibly.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Slim Pickens posted:

I was too busy staring at the crash in progress to notice that the loop is so tight that the lead up to the next high side starts while the first is reaching its conclusion. :aaaaa:

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Would one expect the DRZ coolant overflow tank (on the clutch side, just under the seat) to generally be empty? Unless the bike is overheating and the coolant has expanded and overflowed. Right?

axia
Nov 15, 2005

The future is now.

epalm posted:

Would one expect the DRZ coolant overflow tank (on the clutch side, just under the seat) to generally be empty? Unless the bike is overheating and the coolant has expanded and overflowed. Right?

I've owned mine, since new (2006) and there has never been a drop of coolant in the tank.
Also, I've never even changed the fluid, and my bike has never overheated. DRZ SUPREMACY!

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

epalm posted:

The tank is there to allow the coolant to expand under normal operating temperatures. Some people that you add more coolant directly into that tank to monitor the overall level more easily, but I haven't bothered with that since you can't just pour it in.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

It should be at at least the low mark so that when the system cools from hot there is some to pull back in to the coolant system.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Had my 690SMC for over 4 years and 24,000mi now. No intention of selling, even after it lost me my license for 3 months.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

So who the hell owns a duke or has ridden one? They seem like great fun. I've never seen one on the road nor does anyone really talk about them here.

I feel like if I get a 2008+ SMC I'd ride the poo poo out of it and keep it forever and ever. But that's what I've said about my last 4 bikes.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

My first splurge purchase when I pay off college is a KTM 690 SMC that I will never sell ever unlike these other plebes who fear losing a license. :colbert:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yeah, it's a sumo. Get lit up for wheelies downtown? Hop the curb, wheelie through the grass in the park, and disappear.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
There's an 08 690 SMC for sale in Houston for $6750 with 14k miles. Seems kind of high mileage for that price. Of course it has been listed for several weeks now so maybe it could be had for less.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Obviously there's a lot of other factors but from what I've seen that's a below average price especially if you can get it for something just north of $6k. I see dudes that have them with 20-30k miles and still want 7-8k. :argh:

"Adult owned, 2nd owner, 48 years old!"

Yeah because that justifies the price

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Wheelie Wednesday!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

IMPOSTER!

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Z3n posted:

IMPOSTER!

I'm torn because I like being able to jump logs and other crap that would gently caress a 17 inch rim but I really want a quick Husky or KTM or even 450 Yamaha motard for any speed wheelies ahhhhh!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Eh none of that stuff tends to gently caress it up that bad if it's a high quality rim.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Non sm drz400 seem to sell for thousands less on cl. Can these be made road legal with some indicators, sumo tires, and plates? I'd love a sumo, but want a sub 2k one to thrash and wheelie, not a garage queen $4500 one. Doesn't even have to be super fast. Just small light and fun.

What's up with listing their usage in hours? Are these fairly low maintenance like the sv? I've read the entire thread but can't remember if this has been answered.

I think I'd even be OK with a 250. The honda 230 sumo I took my msf with was a blast.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 5, 2013

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Coydog posted:

Non sm drz400 seem to sell for thousands less on cl. Can these be made road legal with some indicators, sumo tires, and plates? I'd love a sumo, but want a sub 2k one to thrash and wheelie, not a garage queen $4500 one. Doesn't even have to be super fast. Just small light and fun.

I think it depends on your local government, some places are easier to plate bikes than others. Supermoto conversion would typically involve new wheels, not just tyres, as the off road bikes will have taller, skinnier tyres. You're going to spend a few hundred to a thousand getting those wheels, and after the lights, plates and inevitable registration fees you're probably in slightly-tired-SM territory, not counting the time and effort.

quote:

What's up with listing their usage in hours? Are these fairly easy to maintain? I've read the entire thread but can't remember if this has been answered.

Motocrossers, Enduro and race bikes in general don't do maintenance in terms of miles because they typically don't have odometers. Instead they use hours and many bikes will have a simple counter to count the hours that the engine is running.

quote:

I think I'd even be OK with a 250. The honda 230 sumo I took my msf with was a blast.

The WR250X is worth looking at if you really want something small and light to throw around. It's plenty fast, and apparently reliable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Probably a bit out of your budget but what about an old 625 SMC?

• Locked thread