Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MJBuddy posted:

He's like Roethelisburger.

I'm not sure where he falls behind. His decision making was amazingly better this year, he's got a massive arm, and he's big.

E: hes about 10 lbs lighter and lacks the creativity to extend plays, but he's probably going to be a high value pick where ever he lands.

Do you mean in the shrugging huge dudes off like they're nothing way or the other way? Or both? Other than getting that cheap joke in I'm actually curious, does he really throw people who should have sure sacks off of himself on the regular? I don't really remember it but I haven't watched a ton of LSU games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

So it sounds like Mettenberger is a pre-2013 Schaub, but with a stronger arm. If he can pull off a decent play action he'd be fine in Kubiak's system, if Kubiak is there next year.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Grittybeard posted:

Do you mean in the shrugging huge dudes off like they're nothing way or the other way? Or both? Other than getting that cheap joke in I'm actually curious, does he really throw people who should have sure sacks off of himself on the regular? I don't really remember it but I haven't watched a ton of LSU games.

He's big, stands taaaallll. He doesn't shrug defenders or roll around the pocket as well as Ben, but I was blown away with how much better he was this year.

If LSU's defense had been worth a drat he'd probably in heisman talks. He's got two 1000 yard receivers and he's been working under an ex-nfl OC (Cam Cameron but still) running a pro-friendly style. His progression work isn't the best in the draft but when the plays aren't there he gets rid of it or finds the safety valve. His arm is massive, and some of his throws this year have been in great windows.

I'm big on him, I guess. Not first or second big but he's too good to not at least take a shot at developing because the gains he put up in one year under a good OC might continue.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Trent Baalke is apparently at the Fresno State/San Jose State game today, who beyond Carr is considered draftable on those teams?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Grozz Nuy posted:

Trent Baalke is apparently at the Fresno State/San Jose State game today, who beyond Carr is considered draftable on those teams?
Fales is a 3rd day selection. Both QBs will get their shot in postseason practices and Combine.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Congrats on whoever gets this guy! :clint:

http://i.minus.com/ivJD3wRgMFUDx.gif
http://i.minus.com/itprQE2900L4M.gif
http://i.minus.com/idyhtXahmXaWg.gif
http://i.minus.com/iNqYH7t2iPhl0.gif
http://i.minus.com/ibePfHbX6WOzyp.gif
http://i.minus.com/iqPf0ZFlDNPcv.gif

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Welp, I'm sold.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Grozz Nuy posted:

Welp, I'm sold.

So was I.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

What's crazy is that he supposedly didn't have great hands when he came to LSU :stare: But I wasn't kidding when I said that Landry has a 'catch of the year' type of catch nearly every game.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Grozz Nuy posted:

A lot of good receivers, on both teams (Davante Adams for Fresno, Jones, Nunn, Grigsby [though he was out with injury) for San Jose). Also some defenders (big fan of Benwikere). All likely late-round-gem kind of players.

Also, Fales is amazing :swoon:

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Nov 30, 2013

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Every fanbase is terrible, with the Eagles fanbase somehow turning being lovely fans into an art form

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So I was poking through wiki and found someone did this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_Miami_Hurricanes_football_team#NFL_Draft_selections

5 top 10 selections
17 first round selections
14 guys who were at or near a Pro Bowl level at least one season
3 guys with at least an outside chance at the Hall (Reed, Johnson, Wilfork)

Is there another team ever that's had anywhere near that much NFL talent?

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

I'd love to see him stay in-state in 2014. Man that guy is good.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Doronin posted:

I'd love to see him stay in-state in 2014. Man that guy is good.

There are rumors of him AND Odell staying for next year (which would help Jennings out tremendously), but I honestly can't see that happening with their stock so high after double-1k seasons. Maybe it'll be like Joeckel and Matthews with A&M last year: one stays and the other leaves for the NFL.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

bewbies posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_Miami_Hurricanes_football_team#NFL_Draft_selections

5 top 10 selections

Not to mention they had Reggie Wayne the year before. So no, that is likely the most stacked college football team we'll ever see.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

bewbies posted:

5 top 10 selections

Not just these guys, but from December 2002 to November 2011 (149 weeks), every single week in the NFL, a Miami alumni scored a touchdown.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Not to mention they had Reggie Wayne the year before. So no, that is likely the most stacked college football team we'll ever see.

Reggie Wayne and Santana Moss. Also a healthy Dan Morgan and I'm sure I'm forgetting someone.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

TheBizzness posted:

Reggie Wayne and Santana Moss. Also a healthy Dan Morgan and I'm sure I'm forgetting someone.

A stable of running backs that have amassedyardage larger than the circumference of most European countries.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Relentlessboredomm posted:

You're not drafting top five Houston. Jesus, take a breath and look at your drat schedule. Atlanta is a touch more likely but they'll likely grab another 2 wins as well.

Arschlochkind posted:

Raiders W L
Jaguars W L
Patriots L :geno:
@ Jags L?
@ Colts L
Broncos L
@ Titans W?

And the Jags just won again. :colbert:

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

Lol, saying we're not drafting top 5 implies there are 5 teams worse than us

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
A king's ransom for Prince Bridgewater; failing that, I'm down to Clown. :getin:

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

bhsman posted:

A king's ransom for Prince Bridgewater; failing that, I'm down to Clown. :getin:

Already planning your export to Buffalo in five years.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

MJBuddy posted:

Already planning your export to Buffalo in five years.

No way McNair would ever move the team with how popular it is, this year notwithstanding.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

bhsman posted:

No way McNair would ever move the team with how popular it is, this year notwithstanding.

It was a Mario Williams joke.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Volkerball posted:

It was a Mario Williams joke.

Oh, right :doh:

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I was looking through the dudes likely to be in the 20-32 range, I'm curious about tackles. Is there anyone who fits into that "good, might be great, will need some polish" type mould who usually go in that spot.

Gross is a free agent and in his mid-30s. He'll probably take a hometown discount for a year if the team doesn't go that deep in the playoffs but continues to knock on the door, but Gettleman would have to have his eye on tackles, wide receivers and defensive backs over just about everywhere else, even though he is a BPA type dude.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm getting pretty excited about Bridgewater in Houston you guys. :allears:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Kirios posted:

Yeah the idea of an honest to god elite QB in Houston is pretty enticing

So of course he'll bust hard

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Kirios posted:

Intruder posted:

Yeah the idea of an honest to god elite QB in Houston is pretty enticing

So of course he'll bust hard

I'll be happy for Bridgewater but Clowney is the best option.

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars
KC really, really needs a WR who can get separation AND catch the ball. Another safety that knows not to let guys past him would be really awesome as well.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I really hope Bridgewater doesn't go to Houston and start day 1. He just turned 21, and he's had some loving miserable games this year against lower tier college opponents. Andre Johnson publicly quit on this team like, a week ago. Teddy would be torn to pieces. If the Texans want Bridgewater, they'd be best keeping him as a third stringer behind Keenum and the best qb they can sign this offseason. Maybe let him play against the scrubsiest scrubs in some preseason games. See if it was hockey rules, they could just sign him to a 2-way contract and then send him back and forth between Houston and Louisville as they saw fit, but the NCAA is too high and mighty to admit they're just profiting as the minor league for the NFL. :jerkbag:

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Volkerball posted:

Andre Johnson publicly quit on this team like, a week ago.

8 catches, 127 yards today. He quit giving a gently caress about Matt Schaub is what he did.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Volkerball posted:

I really hope Bridgewater doesn't go to Houston and start day 1.

Does a first overall pick ever not start day 1?

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Dusseldorf posted:

Not since Carson Palmer, I don't think.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Dusseldorf posted:

Generally if you can't start day 1 you probably shouldn't be first overall. That may have been different pre wage scale but now that's a bit of a stupid decision.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

MJBuddy posted:

Generally if you can't start day 1 you probably shouldn't be first overall. That may have been different pre wage scale but now that's a bit of a stupid decision.

Not when you're dealing with a franchise QB.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

bhsman posted:

I'll be happy for Bridgewater but Clowney is the best option.

If we switch to a 4-3 with a Watt/Clowny DE tandem (or Watt at DT) I'll be pretty god drat stoked, that would have the potential to be even better than Freeney/Mathis was. But if we go into next season with no better plan at QB than Keenum then gently caress

I'm also not sold on Tahj Boyd, even if he fell to the 2nd

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Disillusionist posted:

Not since Carson Palmer, I don't think.

Eli didn't either

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

excidium posted:

KC really, really needs a WR who can get separation AND catch the ball. Another safety that knows not to let guys past him would be really awesome as well.
It's really hard to peg down exactly what the Chiefs needs will be. Schwartz and Stephenson looked actually competent on the right side and while the idea is frightening, Eric Fisher will be the LT next year.

I'd give about a 1% chance that Albert stays. Hudson should probably move back to LG and they should be shopping for a new Center in Free Agency. Beyond that, replace Andy Heck at offensive line coach.

Draft wise:
WR They really need two of these. McCluster and Avery are bad.
FS I've been begging for the Chiefs to replace Kendrick Lewis for years now.
LB Health issues this year aside, Hali and Houston almost never get any rest and they need to fix that.
DE Tyson Jackson sucks.
TE Fasano has been a Free Agency bust.
CB Dunta Robinson is a lock to get cut, so some depth here would be good.
OL With at least two starters leaving, they need depth at bare minimum.

If they need to replace basically the entire line, I'm not sure how they fill their needs in one off-season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars

LiquidFriend posted:

It's really hard to peg down exactly what the Chiefs needs will be. Schwartz and Stephenson looked actually competent on the right side and while the idea is frightening, Eric Fisher will be the LT next year.

I'd give about a 1% chance that Albert stays. Hudson should probably move back to LG and they should be shopping for a new Center in Free Agency. Beyond that, replace Andy Heck at offensive line coach.

Draft wise:
WR They really need two of these. McCluster and Avery are bad.
FS I've been begging for the Chiefs to replace Kendrick Lewis for years now.
LB Health issues this year aside, Hali and Houston almost never get any rest and they need to fix that.
DE Tyson Jackson sucks.
TE Fasano has been a Free Agency bust.
CB Dunta Robinson is a lock to get cut, so some depth here would be good.
OL With at least two starters leaving, they need depth at bare minimum.

If they need to replace basically the entire line, I'm not sure how they fill their needs in one off-season.

WR - I'm not as down on McCluster as most. He's actually made some pretty drat good catches the last few weeks between his couple diving catches (last night and the TD a few weeks back) and his really nice back shoulder sideline catch. He made that really terrible decision with the punt return last night but as a WR4-5 he's not bad.
FS - I really wish we could do something with Berry playing back more and being able to make more plays on the ball in the air but I understand why we play him where we do. Hopefully Sanders Commings will be ready to step up next year.
LB - Depth would be great, luckily Zombo isn't bad in that regard but another guy would be nice.
DE - I expect Jackson to be gone. Bailey looks like he's been playing decently in place of DeVito so maybe that will stay in place. I'd like to see them move Poe around some to DE as well with the signing of Love to play NT.
TE - I definitely wouldn't call Fasano a bust as it's really been injuries more than anything that has derailed him. I have high hopes for Kelce next year. I think Fasano and Kelce will make a nice 1-2 combo and McGrath is pretty good depth there.
CB - Robinson is your FA bust. A healthy scratch a few games and practically no playing time since the Giants game.
OL - I know Fisher has been a liability at RT but I'm hopeful that going back to LT and having a full year under his belt we'll see massive improvement. He's got the tools, a little more strength and some technique refinement will go a long way in making him a more consistent player. Stephenson at RT should be really good as well and I feel pretty confident about the tackles. The interior I don't know what to do with. I don't know if it's the blocking schemes or just terrible players but they definitely need to improve in the interior. Allen Hudson and Schwartz are capable of doing it, but we'll see what happens I guess.

I'll be interested in someone doing a comprehensive cap breakdown for next year's team and just how much dead money we'll have if we cut someone like Robinson and possibly Avery. I'd be interested in seeing how much room we have to work with to get someone like Maclin and a few other FAs. Overall I'm not as down on them as some as their offense is actually looking competent these last few games. Still a lot of football to play.

• Locked thread