Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Drone posted:

The only real downside is that my Witch-Queen is the wrong culture (Frankish) because of her tutor. Is there any way to switch this back to Scottish outside of cheating, or should I just give my kids to Scottish tutors and hope the next generation converts back?

You can convert culture by decision if your liege is Scottish, or you may randomly get an event to culture-convert if your capital is Scottish. The only reliable way is to send your kids to Diligent, Gregarious Scottish tutors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
So me and MY WIFEFRIEND want to play some CK2 multiplayer together, but we want to play as members of the same dynasty so we can maintain a permanent alliance throughout the game. Are there 2 same dynasty rulers (either independent or in the same realm) who would make a nice challenging starting position? All I can think of at the moment is the Jimenez in Spain, Rurikoviches in Russia and house von weimar in the HRE which controls the duchy of weimar and the county of istria and krain.

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

The Saurus posted:

So me and MY WIFEFRIEND want to play some CK2 multiplayer together, but we want to play as members of the same dynasty so we can maintain a permanent alliance throughout the game. Are there 2 same dynasty rulers (either independent or in the same realm) who would make a nice challenging starting position? All I can think of at the moment is the Jimenez in Spain, Rurikoviches in Russia and house von weimar in the HRE which controls the duchy of weimar and the county of istria and krain.

I insist that we honor my proud heritage by playing as the Rurikovich/Rurikid dynasty.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

The Saurus posted:

If you have Old Gods, basically every Catholic king in 867 is of the same dynasty.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Does the AI prefer to marry members of the same dynasty? Or is it just because they're likely to be kicking around the local court?

After a rough start dynasty wise, my last like 5 characters have had at least 7 kids each. I managed to spread my dynasty around a bit with the first few of those characters, so various dukes and counts and a couple of kings are of my dynasty.

And they keep marrying other dynasty members. Some are distant, some are rather closely related. I wasn't paying attention until I noticed my uncle married my granddaughter (that sentence :gonk:).

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

The Saurus posted:

The Muslim ruler of Egypt in 1066 has about three or four landed sons. It also has a nice little cooperation/competition mechanic in open agnatic succession, where whoever is doing best at succession takes the throne.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Cease to Hope posted:

The Muslim ruler of Egypt in 1066 has about three or four landed sons. It also has a nice little cooperation/competition mechanic in open agnatic succession, where whoever is doing best at succession takes the throne.

If you want even more challenging, the leader of Cyrenaica has two landed sons himself.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
So when my ruler dies, somehow all of my counties and duchies are going to be transferred to my uncle, leaving my kid with nothing. My ruler has 0 in intrigue but 22 in diplomacy, at what point do I just execute my uncle and all of his children to not game over (effectively). I'm somewhat confused as to where the POV will go after this guy dies. The heir is the uncle, but the game is telling me that I'm about to lose all of my possessions.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Torpor posted:

So when my ruler dies, somehow all of my counties and duchies are going to be transferred to my uncle, leaving my kid with nothing. My ruler has 0 in intrigue but 22 in diplomacy, at what point do I just execute my uncle and all of his children to not game over (effectively). I'm somewhat confused as to where the POV will go after this guy dies. The heir is the uncle, but the game is telling me that I'm about to lose all of my possessions.

What's your succession law? Playing a republic, or? What are you son's traits? If it's gavelkind/primo/something similar then it sounds like your son is ineligible to inherit for some reason.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Is it possible for the Kingdom of France to form organically? As in, can it ever spring up from the Old Gods start? Because France doesn't seem to be a de jure kingdom. Am I missing something?

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

DStecks posted:

Is it possible for the Kingdom of France to form organically? As in, can it ever spring up from the Old Gods start? Because France doesn't seem to be a de jure kingdom. Am I missing something?

"West Francia" uses the tag for k_France and so technically is France. It's renamed France via event when a non-Karling becomes king of West Francia. The same goes for East Francia / Germany. Essentially it's to indicate that the decline of the Carolingian dynasty coincides with the establishment of independent German and French identities.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Spiderfist Island posted:

"West Francia" uses the tag for k_France and so technically is France. It's renamed France via event when a non-Karling becomes king of West Francia. The same goes for East Francia / Germany. Essentially it's to indicate that the decline of the Carolingian dynasty coincides with the establishment of independent German and French identities.

Neat stuff, I did not know that.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
The little things about this game are sometimes the best.

I just defeated a Catholic crusade on Christmas day.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Just put a few hours into the game for the first time in a while. (Definitely the first time since the 2.0 patch.)

I'm... not sure this is how crusades are supposed to work?

(The crusades starting in 900 AD is also a little bit odd.)

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Sonendar update-- I've been working on the religious conversion bug, where vassals won't change their religion even though they agree to your request. I can't seem to get it to work properly!! It's in "religious_events.txt", but it just won't fire for some reason!

EDIT: Well this is very weird indeed. I tried just flat-out copy-pasting all the vanilla CK2 events into the folder and seeing if the conversion decision would work and it still doesn't!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Dec 2, 2013

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Are vassals and levy balance unfucked yet?

Also is forming crusader Kingdoms as a matter of course by the A.i. and crusade mechanics a thing yet?

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Dec 2, 2013

Happy Fun Bollocks
Aug 4, 2007

by Ion Helmet
I'm playing out a 1.111 world conquest to the end date. The faction strength calculation breaks after I have ~2 million available troops. (Hungary should have less than 10% of my strength, not 219980%). Is there any way to fix this?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
This game is so much fun. I'm playing Byzantine Empire for the first time, and I defeated both the Ilkhanate and the Golden Horde during their first invasions, and I'm very proud of myself. I put my levies in the mountains until I could get a big enough pile to have decisive advantage, killed all their troops and then asked for a white peace. Now every 10 years I declare war on them, assault some random province and get another truce to keep them away from me. They're so terrifying.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
Unless white peaces are special, truces are only one-way. If they're not messing with you, it's because you're a tough nut to crack.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Cease to Hope posted:

This sounds cool, it might actually encourage me to pick up the islam expansion with the steam sale going on, never liked the sound of the muslim mechanics.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The Saurus posted:

This sounds cool, it might actually encourage me to pick up the islam expansion with the steam sale going on, never liked the sound of the muslim mechanics.

If you have Old Gods, I'm pretty sure the various Norse in Britain in the 867 start (I know Sudreyar and Jorvik) are related and allies, and I'm pretty sure they're even tied in with Sjaelland and Ostlandet too. In either of the 1066 starts, the Duke of York and Duke of Lancaster are brothers. There's a smattering of dukes throughout the Byzantine Empire that are of the same dynasty. Otherwise your best bet is probably gonna be each taking one of the Jimenas in Iberia, or each taking a Karling in the 867 start (one in West Francia and one in East Francia would work well).

Drone fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Dec 2, 2013

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Drone posted:

If you have Old Gods, I'm pretty sure the various Norse in Britain in the 867 start (I know Sudreyar and Jorvik) are related and allies, and I'm pretty sure they're even tied in with Sjaelland and Ostlandet too. Otherwise your best bet is probably gonna be each taking one of the Jimenas in Iberia, or each taking a Karling in the 867 start (one in West Francia and one in East Francia would work well).

They aren't same Dynasty though so they won't be allied permanently.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

First time in a while I've picked this up and I'm doing Byzantium in 867, has anyone ever had Byzantium mend the Schism as a non-orthodox ruler?
All of Europe going from pastel white to beautiful purple leads me to wonder how the Catholic rulers decide whether to convert or not, do you get an event asking or is it just luck of the draw?
I also married a genius wife and got a genius son who was the first Porphyrogenitos at that, turns out he makes a strange buzzing sound and animals don't like him very much, despite my Ecclesiarch assuring me it was perfectly normal he ended up possessed. (Thanks for nothing, Jackass, I should have fasted and prayed) Am I going to get rad flavor events when my current ruler kicks it and he takes up the throne? :getin: Also, is possession hereditary? I'm undecided on whether I want all my future rulers to be the spawn of Satan.
And one more for posterity, when reforming the Roman Empire, does the born in the purple trait still function as it did with the Byzantines?

Hambilderberglar fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Dec 2, 2013

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Hambilderberglar posted:

First time in a while I've picked this up and I'm doing Byzantium in 867, has anyone ever had Byzantium mend the Schism as a non-orthodox ruler?

You can't

Hambilderberglar posted:

All of Europe going from pastel white to beautiful purple leads me to wonder how the Catholic rulers decide whether to convert or not, do you get an event asking or is it just luck of the draw?

It's random.

Hambilderberglar posted:

Am I going to get rad flavor events when my current ruler kicks it and he takes up the throne? :getin: Also, is possession hereditary?

Yes. No.

Hambilderberglar posted:

And one more for posterity, when reforming the Roman Empire, does the born in the purple trait still function as it did with the Byzantines?

Yes.

Edit: I guess you meant the AI ERE mending the Schism? It's an event that the AI has a certain predisposition for choosing either way, weighted in favour of conversion. The human player can choose to resist.

Knuc U Kinte fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Dec 2, 2013

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Hambilderberglar posted:

You can't

If you play Iconoclast, and it displaces the traditional Orthodox church, can you then mend the Schism? What if you are Miaphysite?

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Edit: I guess you meant the AI ERE mending the Schism? It's an event that the AI has a certain predisposition for choosing either way, weighted in favour of conversion. The human player can choose to resist.
Yes, that. Sorry about my phrasing. An AI, Orthodox Byzantium mending the schism while the player is Catholic. I assume the mending is for all intents and purposes permanent? Catholicism can never be anything but a heresy anymore?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Torrannor posted:

If you play Iconoclast, and it displaces the traditional Orthodox church, can you then mend the Schism? What if you are Miaphysite?

I'm not sure. I'm not on my main computer, so I can't check the game files. I was under the impression that the only thing that changed was that Orthodoxy would turn into a Iconoclat heresy, and Iconoclasm would take over the Holy Order if they exist. The Schism still requires the Orthodox ERE to hold the specific provinces, so I'd imagine that an Iconoclast one couldn't.

Wrt the Miaphysite thing, that's a separate religion to Orthodoxy rather than a heresy.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Hambilderberglar posted:

Yes, that. Sorry about my phrasing. An AI, Orthodox Byzantium mending the schism while the player is Catholic. I assume the mending is for all intents and purposes permanent? Catholicism can never be anything but a heresy anymore?

If Catholicism returns to the fore, they will become Orthodoxy under the new SoA mechanics, and Orthodoxy will be the heresy.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

PleasingFungus posted:

Just put a few hours into the game for the first time in a while. (Definitely the first time since the 2.0 patch.)

SoA (or maybe the patch associated with it, idk) changed it so that Crusades are now dynamic and triggered by certain events instead of linked to a certain date. Greece falling to Hungary is probably what did it for you, I also had a Crusade for Greece in about AD 900 because the Abassids took Greece and Western Anatolia somehow, sandwiching the Byzzies between hostile Muslim powers, triggering an event where the Pope freaks out about Christianity's Bulwark in the East(tm) falling and declaring a Crusade.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

SoA (or maybe the patch associated with it, idk) changed it so that Crusades are now dynamic and triggered by certain events instead of linked to a certain date. Greece falling to Hungary is probably what did it for you, I also had a Crusade for Greece in about AD 900 because the Abassids took Greece and Western Anatolia somehow, sandwiching the Byzzies between hostile Muslim powers, triggering an event where the Pope freaks out about Christianity's Bulwark in the East(tm) falling and declaring a Crusade.

Yeah, Crusades and Jihads can trigger super-early if the stars align - if pagans/Muslims take Rome, for instance. The problem is that when Crusades are able to be called, Holy Orders are formed immediately - and Holy Orders can outstrip many whole Kingdoms in manpower and fighting ability in an early-enough start, especially with their concentration in heavy cavalry which many nations aren't able to get at all at that point, so you wind up with things like Hospitaller-controlled Hungary or what have you.

Note that it doesn't always work both ways - it's entirely possible to see the Muslims calling Jihad in 890 while the Christians won't get Crusades for another fifty years, or vice-versa. That said, the old "automatically get Crusades" dates are still coded in, so if nothing has happened to allow you to cause Great Holy Wars as a Pagan, for example, you'll get that power eventually, even if you've suffered no real setbacks up to that point.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I really can't wait for the Game of Thrones mod to be updated for SoA, since it seems like there are a lot of great features in it that will mesh very well with the GoT mod (holy orders and being able to send your kids off to become monks seem pretty much perfect for the Night's Watch / order of Maesters, and the election of the High Septon). That, and that they've announced that the next version will have Essos, hopefully sometime this month.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
So I'm trying out a game as the Jewish Khazars and you guys are right: this poo poo is hard. I have had some successes and setbacks and even though I've had to re-win land I had previously won, my Kingdom borders are somewhat larger then when I started. However, there are a couple things crippling me.

First thing is my apparent racial inability to lead an army. I'm not joking when I say that after three or four generations there's STILL no one I can put in the Marshal position with a martial skill over 13. Hungary is a god damned mess in this game CONSTANTLY shattering and devolving into a civil war at any minor crisis. However, as soon as they reform, the declare on me. They are almost always much weaker, but because of my lovely generals I end up having to blob as hard as I can. Worse yet I have to let them have whatever counties they're claiming then pick them back off when they spiral into their next succession crisis. There isn't much that can be done about this I suppose. I'm trying to marry up any two people with positive martial traits to get good children, but they just aren't in the pool. A lot of this has to do with me not being able to marry outside of the Jewish faith, which leads to point 2.

Everybody hates me! And what more I'm the only Jews in the land. The gene pool is getting a bit stale, if you know what I mean. Also I'm surrounded by at least 8 heathen religions (Tengri, Slav, Suomenusko, Catholic, Orthodox, Miaphysite, Sunni, and Zoroastrian!). The only saving grace is that they hate each other exactly as much as they hate me. I have yet to raise the ire of the Abbasids, but they have pushed up to share a border with me. Anyway, my though to help this process out is to create a kingdom or two and give that title to a vassal. That would give me some allies in this land, create a buffer, and perhaps help out the old gene pool. It would also let me focus on expansion, though I'm not sure right now in which direction. All my Holy Lands are south, but gently caress south until the Abbasids go pear-shaped. Which you think they would with over 80% decadence...but nah, they hang on somehow.

Overwined fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 2, 2013

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Man, factions are hard as hell to deal with. When the patch that changed vassal levies hit my ruler had a +50 long rule modifier and still had to deal with an independence revolt every 5-10 years, but now that her idiot son has inherited poo poo has really hit the fan. First I get hit with an independence ultimatum and their faction gets a staggering 50k troops, then a few years later another 4 dukes want to put my uncle on the throne and THEY get a stack of 50k. In the middle of both of these wars, I get hit with an ultimatum to give the crown of Scotland to some cousin, which I do because gently caress fighting 3 wars when I can barely handle 1.

I ended up being able to crush the independence revolt because the AI was dumb enough to split its deathstack and march half across from Ulster to Carrick, but I was at -50% for a while. I then spent probably 1500 gold trying to assassinate the claimant before getting a success. Luckily the killing blow wasn't traced back to me, but 2 other groups of assassins fingered me so now everyone only hates me a little bit.

Oh, and before all this there was a faction with ~80% to institute Gavelkind in Serbia, which I did because like half my realm was in on that one. Christ.

I'm trying to chip away at France and Germany here, people. Accept your benevolent dictator.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

:argh:

He's been trying to revoke my county for ages now, never acted on it though.

e: My elected heir who owns the other half of Sicily just went for Diligent/Ambitious to Content/Craven, fuuuuuuuuuu

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Yeah I sent my lazy idiot of an Emperor into battle thinking he'd make progress on his ambition to improve martial. He got Craven instead. He's going to make a really lovely Emperor.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I still have no idea what the hell is going on with this game. I think I just fell victim to the medieval version of a telemarketing scam.

Wait, no. I don't even know where Bremen is. I have nothing to do with the HRE.

Thanks for supporting our setup here! While no benefits will be apparent to you, I'm sure people will appreciate your support!

I never even knew about this. You meant to talk to the Holy Roman Empire. I'm just England and have no interests there.

One day we're going to take over the seas and overthrown governments! It's all thanks to you!

Look, I have assassins.

We have money.

gently caress.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mailer posted:

I still have no idea what the hell is going on with this game. I think I just fell victim to the medieval version of a telemarketing scam.

It is the same notification style as when the Golden Horde invades Europe, the Magyars cease to be nomads, or a crusade is being called for Jerusalem (while you sit there unconcerned as the West African king of Mali)?:confused:

Edit: And I think as the Holy Roman Emperor you get a different message.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Usually the Hansa never really gets anywhere in my games, and ends up being taken over by someone else in the area. I've yet to see the rise of a strong, successful Hansa.

Zoinker
Jan 18, 2009

Torrannor posted:

It is the same notification style as when the Golden Horde invades Europe, the Magyars cease to be nomads, or a crusade is being called for Jerusalem (while you sit there unconcerned as the West African king of Mali)?:confused:

Edit: And I think as the Holy Roman Emperor you get a different message.

Read his username, then read the message again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

PleasingFungus posted:

The holy orders taking over half the map is my least favorite part of the new patch. I'm not experienced enough to know if it comes from the levy nerfs or not, but the number of times I've seen the Templars conquer The ERE before the year 900 is pretty silly.

Weird question: are genetics in this game lemarkian? That is, will traits gained through gameplay be passed down, or just the traits you are born with?

• Locked thread