Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Kreeblah posted:

The T-Mobile version is the same model number as the developer edition: XT1053. Not only do they get updates at the same time (the Kitkat update for my developer edition was available at the same time as the T-Mobile version was), even the factory images for the developer edition call themselves T-Mobile images.

For the person who was asking about it being carrier locked: I don't personally have the T-Mobile version, but from everything I've heard from other people, it's unlocked.

Cool, thanks for the clarification. Now I guess I just need to decide whether I want a customized 16gb phone or to pay $50 more for the 32gb developer edition in black & white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
My nexus 5 has a loose power button but I've never thought to exchanging it. I can only hear it if I shake the phone kinda hard. Are there reports of power buttons falling off or dying? I'd rather not go through the effort of exchanging if it's not a big deal.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Rusty! posted:

Yeah it's definitely true, branded phone updates are always later.

Except for things like the Verizon MotoX?

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Not sure if this is the correct place for this, but how can you change associations with hyperlinks in Android? For example, the first time I tried to open a link it prompted two Apps: Chrome and NFL Mobile for some reason. I accidently clicked NFL Mobile and now all my links try to open in that app.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
I have a Verizon Dev edition and it has the Verizon logo on the back.

That being said, the Kit Kat update went out to all Verizon Moto Xs at the same time.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TenaciousTomato posted:

Not sure if this is the correct place for this, but how can you change associations with hyperlinks in Android? For example, the first time I tried to open a link it prompted two Apps: Chrome and NFL Mobile for some reason. I accidently clicked NFL Mobile and now all my links try to open in that app.
Settings -> Apps -> NFL Mobile -> Clear Defaults

kliksf
Jan 1, 2003
So I've had the Nexus5 for less than a week and spent maybe an hour on the phone with Google and it looks like my phone is poo poo. I don't know if they're all poo poo but 4 factory resets in 5 days is a pretty lovely track record. If I have to do one more reset on this loving thing I'm getting an iphone this is pretty much the opposite of what I was hoping for.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Smeed posted:

My nexus 5 has a loose power button but I've never thought to exchanging it. I can only hear it if I shake the phone kinda hard. Are there reports of power buttons falling off or dying? I'd rather not go through the effort of exchanging if it's not a big deal.

Same here. I don't think I can be arsed to RMA the phone just because of that wiggly power button if it continues to work flawlessly.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kliksf posted:

So I've had the Nexus5 for less than a week and spent maybe an hour on the phone with Google and it looks like my phone is poo poo. I don't know if they're all poo poo but 4 factory resets in 5 days is a pretty lovely track record. If I have to do one more reset on this loving thing I'm getting an iphone this is pretty much the opposite of what I was hoping for.
Just RMA it for a replacement if it's broken. It's not like there are lots of people in this thread reporting the same problem as you.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Parker Lewis posted:

Cool, thanks for the clarification. Now I guess I just need to decide whether I want a customized 16gb phone or to pay $50 more for the 32gb developer edition in black & white.

If it's the 32GB thing you're worried about, you can bump up to that with the Motomaker for an extra $50. The only thing the developer edition gets you right now is a woven white back (since those are currently "unavailable" on Motomaker for some reason), the words "developer edition" written on the back, and Motorola not voiding your warranty if you unlock the bootloader.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Tunga posted:

Settings -> Apps -> NFL Mobile -> Clear Defaults

Thanks

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

If I root my GPe HTC One can I still get OTA's and all for it in the future just fine?

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Skeezy posted:

If I root my GPe HTC One can I still get OTA's and all for it in the future just fine?

I do know that you need to relock the bootloader or else OTAs will fail to install (without root fyi). As far as I know for devices that have root access won't get OTAs at all as well. (You might be able to download them, but they won't install.)

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

I do know that you need to relock the bootloader or else OTAs will fail to install (without root fyi). As far as I know for devices that have root access won't get OTAs at all as well. (You might be able to download them, but they won't install.)

Another question since you mentioned it earlier, regarding this:

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

If you're device is S-OFF (which it most likely is) then I recommend going to htcdev.com and download the RUU for the Developer Edition so you won't get T-Mobile bloatware and faster updates.

I downloaded the RUU from htcdev but do I have to about about doing the CID fuckery and all that? I already have it set for Google but I'm curious about it.

Edit: Found a guide for it actually. Don't worry about it.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 1, 2013

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

bronin posted:

Same here. I don't think I can be arsed to RMA the phone just because of that wiggly power button if it continues to work flawlessly.

If they're willing to cross ship, I might as well. Loose and rattling parts indicate broken or badly fitting parts, or both and the guy on the assembly line tried forcing it on there anyways. Who knows what else inside this black slab of plastic that I can't see is also a ticking time bomb.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hadlock posted:

If they're willing to cross ship, I might as well. Loose and rattling parts indicate broken or badly fitting parts, or both and the guy on the assembly line tried forcing it on there anyways. Who knows what else inside this black slab of plastic that I can't see is also a ticking time bomb.

They do cross ship, priority too, and give you packaging to return your old one. I didn't even ask for an RMA for it, I was just reporting the issue and trying to find out if it might become an issue down the road or if it was well known. They instantly gave me the RMA without me even asking.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Is the maxx on the same quick update schedule as the motto x?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Roundboy posted:

Is the maxx on the same quick update schedule as the motto x?

If the camera update is anything to go by, it's ~2 weeks behind.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

big mean giraffe posted:

If the camera update is anything to go by, it's ~2 weeks behind.

Did they actually officially announce a date for that? Or everyone's just been wishful in hoping that it's any day now?

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005
The screen and digitizer on my nexus 4 broke. I can still see the screen but it doesn't register touches. There is a pin on the phone. Does anyone know if there is any way I get pictures off of it?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pympede posted:

The screen and digitizer on my nexus 4 broke. I can still see the screen but it doesn't register touches. There is a pin on the phone. Does anyone know if there is any way I get pictures off of it?
If the bootloader is locked then I'm pretty sure you're out of luck.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Pympede posted:

Not being a jerk here, but I'd suggest it's time to turn on Google+ photo auto upload (or Dropbox) when you get a new phone. Unless you are one of those cloud NSA fear types. My phone could be destroyed any minute and I would have lost exactly nothing. Hope you find a solution, but I think you may be out of luck.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm ready to buy one of the unlocked Moto X tomorrow. I like my N5 a lot but it's too drat big. I wish it had the same specs except with a smaller screen.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I'm upgrading from my decrepid (in terms of smartphone tech) Razr this christmas, and I was wondering what the goonmind is on the 'best' Android system phone. I do have Verizon as my provider, if that makes an effect on the decision. I use it as a backup IRC client/minor social media thing/occasional browser/much more than occasional game platform. Which out of the current gauntlet of HTC One/Nexus 5/Galaxy S4/etc etc is the best overall?

Kinkajou
Jan 6, 2004

Ridiculously nerdy question coming up. I'd like to use my Nexus 5 as an old-school emulation machine and hook it up to my t.v. If I want to use my wireless PS3 controller, I need an OTG cable coupled with a USB CSR Bluetooth Dongle. However, doing that would use up the USB slot so I wouldn't be able to connect the phone to my T.V. via a MicroUSB->HDMI cable.

Would something like this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/21648657?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=3 allow me to hook up both a MicroUSB->HDMI and an OTG cable+Bluetooth dongle or am I poo poo out of luck?

I've read that a rooted phone can allow a controller bluetooth access without the dongle, but I'm not 100% comfortable in doing that just yet.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Monathin posted:

I'm upgrading from my decrepid (in terms of smartphone tech) Razr this christmas, and I was wondering what the goonmind is on the 'best' Android system phone. I do have Verizon as my provider, if that makes an effect on the decision. I use it as a backup IRC client/minor social media thing/occasional browser/much more than occasional game platform. Which out of the current gauntlet of HTC One/Nexus 5/Galaxy S4/etc etc is the best overall?

Best is pretty subjective, depends on what you want most in a phone. If you're going to do a lot of gaming, the Droid MAXX is your best bet, it's got the best battery life of anything available. It also runs nearly stock Android, and has some really great enhancements in the way of Active Notifications and Always-On voice commands (even works with the screen off from the lock screen if you don't have a pin.)

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Kinkajou posted:

Ridiculously nerdy question coming up. I'd like to use my Nexus 5 as an old-school emulation machine and hook it up to my t.v. If I want to use my wireless PS3 controller, I need an OTG cable coupled with a USB CSR Bluetooth Dongle. However, doing that would use up the USB slot so I wouldn't be able to connect the phone to my T.V. via a MicroUSB->HDMI cable.

Would something like this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/21648657?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=3 allow me to hook up both a MicroUSB->HDMI and an OTG cable+Bluetooth dongle or am I poo poo out of luck?

I've read that a rooted phone can allow a controller bluetooth access without the dongle, but I'm not 100% comfortable in doing that just yet.

MHL requires power. The micro USB port on that adapter is actually probably power in.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm ready to buy one of the unlocked Moto X tomorrow. I like my N5 a lot but it's too drat big. I wish it had the same specs except with a smaller screen.

If you don't use benchmarks as your main use of your phone I doubt you'll notice any performance difference.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

big mean giraffe posted:

Best is pretty subjective, depends on what you want most in a phone. If you're going to do a lot of gaming, the Droid MAXX is your best bet, it's got the best battery life of anything available. It also runs nearly stock Android, and has some really great enhancements in the way of Active Notifications and Always-On voice commands (even works with the screen off from the lock screen if you don't have a pin.)

I would like it to run most games, but I was worried because I was one of those fools who bought into "gaming laptops" once upon a time. :v:

Still, if it's running near stock android but has the battery life and power to spare, I think that'll probably be my best bet.

Voice commands are pretty rad too, though I'm not sure if I'll ever get used to using them.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Monathin posted:

I would like it to run most games, but I was worried because I was one of those fools who bought into "gaming laptops" once upon a time. :v:

Still, if it's running near stock android but has the battery life and power to spare, I think that'll probably be my best bet.

Voice commands are pretty rad too, though I'm not sure if I'll ever get used to using them.

They're pretty great in the car, as you can text completely hands-free, and honestly setting alarms and reminders and stuff via voice is much faster/easier than doing it manually.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

MHL requires power. The micro USB port on that adapter is actually probably power in.

Quick bit, N5 supports slimport which doesn't require power. The second plug is for charging on slimport, source.

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005

hotsauce posted:

Not being a jerk here, but I'd suggest it's time to turn on Google+ photo auto upload (or Dropbox) when you get a new phone. Unless you are one of those cloud NSA fear types. My phone could be destroyed any minute and I would have lost exactly nothing. Hope you find a solution, but I think you may be out of luck.

Not being a jerk at all, it's good advice. I actually have dropbox uploading my pictures, I'm just out of luck on the pictures that people have texted me. Oh well, you can't win 'em all. Thanks for confirming guys.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Pympede posted:

Not being a jerk at all, it's good advice. I actually have dropbox uploading my pictures, I'm just out of luck on the pictures that people have texted me.
Again, it's too late for you now, but MightyText will sync pictures that are texted to you. (At least, it does for me.)

Kinkajou
Jan 6, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

So could I use some sort of microUSB splitter to simultaneously use an OTG cable+Bluetooth dongle and MicroUSB->HDMI(or slimport) cable?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

big mean giraffe posted:

honestly setting alarms and reminders and stuff via voice is much faster/easier than doing it manually.

Someone walk me through this on a N5 4.4, I have to manually set my alarms about three times a week, this sounds great. I don't even know what to google here.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Hadlock posted:

Someone walk me through this on a N5 4.4, I have to manually set my alarms about three times a week, this sounds great. I don't even know what to google here.

"Okay Google, Set alarm for forty minutes from now."

"Okay Google, Remind me to kill Colonel Mustard with the candlestick in the conservatory when I get home."

"Okay Google, wake me up at 5:32 am"

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

maltesh posted:

"Okay Google, Set alarm for forty minutes from now."

"Okay Google, Remind me to kill Colonel Mustard with the candlestick in the conservatory when I get home."

"Okay Google, wake me up at 5:32 am"

Or "set an alarm for 5:32 am." I use "xx minutes from now" all the time when doing laundry.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Anyone know what "sensors.qcom" is, which some days takes up to 15 % of my battery power (especially if I don't use my phone much over the day) on my Nexus 5? I'd guess something to do with Qualcomm from the name, but googling doesn't bring up much either:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Lakitu7 posted:

Did they actually officially announce a date for that? Or everyone's just been wishful in hoping that it's any day now?

The holiday probably messed with the schedule a bit. Hopefully we'll hear something this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Kinkajou posted:

Buy the Sixaxis app and just root your phone, it'll make it way less a headache especially if you plan to MHL to your TV. I've done it the way you intend to do on a Note 3 and while it works, it's a mess of cables.

It's really easy to do and the Sixaxis app is like a buck or two.

• Locked thread