Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

An Enormous Boner fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
So I picked up race07 with some the dlc (ty steam sale) and I like it a lot, it'll hold me off while assetto corsa gets more stuff, but when that gets MP/cars to drive against i'll prob make the switch but I just did my first online race and managed to come in 2nd out of 6! That was a lot of fun and enough to keep me coming back for more. Right now Race Injection( RACE 07, STCC The Game 2, Formula RaceRoom, GT Power Expansion, Retro Pack, WTCC 2010 Pack) is 3.89$ so no reason to ignore if you don't have this yet!

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
I've been playing Assetto Corsa as well and the feel of it is great, although I'm no racing sim expert.

If I have a negative comment it's that there's one thing that happens with a lot of racing games, and flight sims are even worse at this: The in-car view tends to have your actual view out the window be about 1/3 of the screen. In Assetto Corsa some cars are much worse at it than others. I can change the FOV lower and it gets better vertically, but then obviously I can't see so much out to the side. I kinda wish there was an option to move your view closer to the windscreen, not just to change your viewing lens.

Of course there's the bonnet cam, but that's not really what I want.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Move your cursor to the right side of the screen and there will be an option in there somewhere that lets you change camera position and FOV. I don't think it's very far, but you can move the camera forward.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
Would anybody be willing to do a new OP?

If not I can, but I don't really have the time to put a really nice one together. But we have quite a few new people looking at getting into sim racing that I think a nice new thread would be well timed given we have quite a few new release's out and a few good sims on sale at the moment.

*edit*
Also don't forget we have an IRC channel if you're new or old and looking to bullshit about your laptimes or whatever. Come drop in!

irc.synirc.net
#racinggoons

irc://irc.synirc.net/racingGoons

Or, if you don't have an irc program installed, just click this link!
http://mibbit.com/?channel=%23racingGoons&server=irc.synirc.net

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Nition posted:

I've been playing Assetto Corsa as well and the feel of it is great, although I'm no racing sim expert.

If I have a negative comment it's that there's one thing that happens with a lot of racing games, and flight sims are even worse at this: The in-car view tends to have your actual view out the window be about 1/3 of the screen. In Assetto Corsa some cars are much worse at it than others. I can change the FOV lower and it gets better vertically, but then obviously I can't see so much out to the side. I kinda wish there was an option to move your view closer to the windscreen, not just to change your viewing lens.

Of course there's the bonnet cam, but that's not really what I want.

loving yes. I do not drive a real car from the back seat damnit!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'll never understand these cockpit views. It's one thing if someone had a triple wide-screen setup, but on a normal setup, the FOV is already restricted as it is, I don't understand why hood view with a shift towards the driver's side isn't standard.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
In everything except iRacing I use bonnet-cam. The Oculus Rift should make cockpit cam much better.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'll never understand these cockpit views. It's one thing if someone had a triple wide-screen setup, but on a normal setup, the FOV is already restricted as it is, I don't understand why hood view with a shift towards the driver's side isn't standard.
I usually do not get on well with in car view. In forza it feels very disorienting, but in AC I can't describe it but it feels right. The vision locked to horizon thing certainly helps.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Move the seat up and forward. Adjust FOV to your liking. This is basically never a problem for me so I don't know what you guys are talking about.

In car view or die.

edit: if you like that lock to horizon thing then make sure you get RealHeadMotion for rFactor/rFactor 2. It does basically the same thing. iRacing also has config file options for similar behavior.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I find I can get a better feel of the car through the cockpit movements. And it's realistic to see at least some resemblance of a gauge pod hood.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Cojawfee posted:

Move your cursor to the right side of the screen and there will be an option in there somewhere that lets you change camera position and FOV. I don't think it's very far, but you can move the camera forward.

Oh yeah! Found the seat position settings, that is so much better thank you. The options menu has FOV but none of that other stuff.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
I haven't learned heel-toe downshifting yet. Instead, when braking, I hold down the brake and clutch pedal until the apex, directly selecting the gear for corner exit. Something tells me this isn't the Right Thing to do - can anyone explain why?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Just got an email saying my CSS shifter is shipping. After two months, finally.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

David Pratt posted:

I haven't learned heel-toe downshifting yet. Instead, when braking, I hold down the brake and clutch pedal until the apex, directly selecting the gear for corner exit. Something tells me this isn't the Right Thing to do - can anyone explain why?

Don't know about driving sims but in real life this is bad because you're missing out on any engine braking.

deebo
Jan 21, 2004

I'm sure I read somewhere you don't 'need' to use the engine for braking at all in real life.. I think the explanation went something like.. your brakes have more then enough stopping force to lock up the tyres completely so there is no need to use the engine for braking.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
In real life, you are wasting gas. Some people coast in neutral because they think it saves gas. In any modern car, engine braking causes your fuel injectors to turn off. So by slowing down in gear, your gas consumption goes down. Slowing down in neutral, your ECU thinks you are idling and it wastes fuel.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

David Pratt posted:

Downshifting without matching the engine speed jerks the car a bit, which can send you out of control when you're already pushing the tires to the limit in a turn. And it can be useful to have throttle control all the way through the turn. In general it's a bad idea to do things that unsettle the car while going through a turn, over a crest, etc.

You can also practice by quickly blipping the throttle just before you let out the clutch, eventually you'll probably start trying to mash both pedals with the same foot so you don't have to let off the brake. :)

deebo posted:

I'm sure I read somewhere you don't 'need' to use the engine for braking at all in real life.. I think the explanation went something like.. your brakes have more then enough stopping force to lock up the tyres completely so there is no need to use the engine for braking.

Older race cars had problems with brake fade, I don't know whether engine braking was a strategy or not. Or I guess if you were running a high speed endurance race in the average road car with stock brakes, but that's more of a safety issue.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I bought GT Legends on the Steam sale. I see that there are a ton of mods and unofficial patches out for it. Should I install some of them or play the game stock first? Basically is it like Vampire: Bloodlines or a Bethesda game where you have to patch all the bugs before you can even play vanilla?

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Downshifting without matching the engine speed jerks the car a bit, which can send you out of control when you're already pushing the tires to the limit in a turn.

I do match the revs to the wheels when I'm accelerating out of the apex, after I've gone straight to the final gear I'm going to use to come out of that corner.

Since there's apparently no need to engine brake in modern cars I was wondering what benefit there would be to having the engine connected to the wheels during deceleration/cornering.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

projecthalaxy posted:

I bought GT Legends on the Steam sale. I see that there are a ton of mods and unofficial patches out for it. Should I install some of them or play the game stock first? Basically is it like Vampire: Bloodlines or a Bethesda game where you have to patch all the bugs before you can even play vanilla?

I play unpatched with just extra tracks and cars, seems to work fine for me.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

David Pratt posted:

I do match the revs to the wheels when I'm accelerating out of the apex, after I've gone straight to the final gear I'm going to use to come out of that corner.

Since there's apparently no need to engine brake in modern cars I was wondering what benefit there would be to having the engine connected to the wheels during deceleration/cornering.

In a sim not much. In real life, it saves gas.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Depending on the track, there's less stress on the brakes. A proper sim would also simulate brake fade. Plus, the settings of the rear differential would influence cornering.

In regards to my usual PCARS whoring, it seems that they're finally doing the work to implement join-in-progress. I hope it'll end up in an implementation similar to LFS, because gently caress lobbies.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

What games simulate brake temps, anyway? LFS, rFactor, rFactor 2 (?), NetKar (I think), probably iRacing...

Maybe a better question would be which sims don't.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

David Pratt posted:

Even in modern sports cars brake fade can be an issue. While you're unlikely to get stronger braking (nowadays breaking traction is the issue), you can overheat/wear your brakes. Engine braking is a way to lower the stress on brakes. It can also act like a drage chute and stabilise the car under braking on rear-driven cars.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

An Enormous Boner posted:

What games simulate brake temps, anyway? LFS, rFactor, rFactor 2 (?), NetKar (I think), probably iRacing...

Maybe a better question would be which sims don't.

Game Stock Car 2013 might, there's a display to show brake temps but haven't really tested it to see if it's a "just for fun" display or the real deal.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I shelved my SLI pro for ages because of the rather awkward software you have to use to make it work. Turns out Fanaleds now supports it, and the software is very, very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_FNNoWdTHc

Here's a crappy video showing it off in Assetto Corsa. Everything can be customised on the panels.

Also, for the record I was driving one handed with automatic transmission on so I could hold my phone up. Also, the game was pulled from primary focus by another application, hence why I lost all control at the end.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

That is some brutal input lag. Make sure you're not running v-sync and that you've set the FPS limiter to a frame or two short of your refresh rate.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

http://www.virtualr.net/assetto-corsa-second-update-content-revealed

Contents of tomorrow's AC update.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

gently caress. Yes.
"Fixed broken right side on OculusVR"

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Going to put on headphones and race around in that MP4-12C all day.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

There's no wheel guide in the op, sorry if this has been covered.. What wheel should I get for $150 or less?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you can find a deal, G25 for G27. Sometimes there's a sale.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Any word on when the AI will be put in AC?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Google Butt posted:

There's no wheel guide in the op, sorry if this has been covered.. What wheel should I get for $150 or less?

If you're patient : find a deal on a G25/G27.

if you're impatient : Driving Force GT.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Nerdrock posted:

If you're patient : find a deal on a G25/G27.

if you're impatient : Driving Force GT.

Perfect advice, just my view as well.
I've got a g25 and it rocks.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
Assetto Corsa update is out!

quote:

- Added McLaren Mp4 12c
- Added Lotus Exige S Roadster
- Added Lotus Evora S
- Added Abarth 500 SS Step1
- Added BMW M3 E30 Drift (engine swap)
- Added Lotus Elise SC Step1
- Added Lotus Elise SC Step2

- Fixed Setup bugs in P4/5 Competizione
- Adjusted setup values in Lotus 2-11
- Fixed single first click bug in setup sliders
- Adjusted engine brake in Abarth 500 SS
- Adjusted street and semislick tyres overheating grip
- BMW M3 E30 and E92 drift cars have now damper settings on their setup
- Added Silverstone GP track
- Added Vallelunga Club track

- Fixed broken right side on OculusVR
- Improved reflection shading
- Implemented save setup on exit
- Python now has its own log : py_log.txt
- Added saturation control
- In game telemetry :: fixed seconday bugs
- Python :: added isAcLive method to know if the simulation is active or not
- Fixed showroom triple screen central view bug
- X360 gamepad steer speed exposed
- Track cameras improved
- Drift mode :: fixed reverse gear drifting
- Replay length setting exposed
- Fixed circular replay
- Fixed backfire flames on non-hdr rendering
- New shared memory implementation 1.0 (Physics, Graphic thread and static info)
- Tyre wear rate is now honoring Realism settings
- Fuel consumption is now honoring Realism settings
- Improved BMW M3 e92 (all variants) interior and exterior sounds
- Added exterior gear shift sounds
- Tweaked tyre scrub pitch variation for some cars
- Added damper adjustments in Lotus 2-11 and Scura
- Adjusted engine brake in Lotus 4 cylinder engines
- Fixed bugs with Toe setup values in Tatuus FA01
- Added Chinese & Russian localizations ( Work in Progress )
- Added camera shake & g-force effect view options
- Added XBOX360 gamepad steering speed option
- Added new event hooks for loading external launcher modules (loadModules & beforeLoadModules)
- Fixed various minor layout problems in launcher default theme
- Fixed Drift mode end session
- Fixed unlockable achievements
- Fixed replay interface animation
- Fixed long output logs on system timer drift detection
- Fixed auto shifter (ctrl+g) for wheel [now requestedCarIndex is reset when shifter is not active]
- Fixed achievements on replay
- Fixed time attack penalty on restart

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
So if I was going to grab one simmy racer, with the hopeful intent of playing in leagues and events going forward (Even if they are full of terrible drivers like me) would Assetto Corsa be the one to go for?

Good fun community racing is what I'm after more than particularly accurate fidelity. The greatest fun I ever had racing online was fumbling around in a wireplay GPL league.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Biggest community from the get-go would be with rF2 right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

You're probably going to have to find a league in rF2 -- not hard to do, just saying. Pick up racing is almost a no-go... although I did do a 5-car race at LRP on the F3 Fanatics server last night :haw:

• Locked thread