Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crappy Jack posted:

Are you playing a Nosferatu, by chance?

Brujah, the plan is to use melee weapons it is going good so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

DrPlump posted:

Brujah, the plan is to use melee weapons it is going good so far.

Max out Celerity before Potence. You can thank me later.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Celerity is to combat what Obfuscate is to stealth. It blows everything out of the water.

Going through as a Gangrel at the moment, and I'm finding Protean slightly underwhelming. I haven't really unlocked the good stuff yet, but I assume once you get to the huge strength/unarmed damage bonuses you'll basically be an unstoppable killing machine?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Don't buy Protean 5, IMO. It adds this little twirl between your second and third consecutive strikes, and you'll get hit during that animation. A lot.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That twirl is there for pretty much all melee attacks, as far as I remember.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

It also freezes you for a few seconds every time you transform and de-transform. Protean 5 loving sucks. The levels up to 4 aren't too bad, but it's no Celerity.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Protean sucks because it's slow as poo poo compared to almost any melee weapon. If you want to be a pro Gangrel, go Fortitude and Animalism. Yes, Animalism. Trust me, it's literally the single most powerful Discipline in the game. By a huge margin, no less.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Ddraig posted:

If you're using Clan Quest, police will now enter the sewers to search for you aswell. That was a pretty nice touch that caught me by surprise.

That's been in the base game since release. However it's still hilariously easy to just pop into a manhole, stay at the top of the ladder, then go get a soda.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Fuzz posted:

Protean sucks because it's slow as poo poo compared to almost any melee weapon. If you want to be a pro Gangrel, go Fortitude and Animalism. Yes, Animalism. Trust me, it's literally the single most powerful Discipline in the game. By a huge margin, no less.

Not as powerful as thaumaturgy a.k.a. stunlock any enemy at any time.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

Not as powerful as thaumaturgy a.k.a. stunlock any enemy at any time.

Stunlock? Pssh, just instantly kill them in one hit. :smugbert:

Woden
May 6, 2006

The Dark One posted:

I've had a character frenzy more often with 0 humanity, which is a annoying if you're not melee-focused.
My first full play through was as a Malk with pretty much no combat skills, I lived for frenzy as it seemed to buff you damage and maybe soak too. Could have just been me being terrible though.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Woden posted:

I lived for frenzy as it seemed to buff you damage and maybe soak too.

It does, especially as Gangrel. But frenzy is really unnecessary.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
The only time I've ever frenzied was when I was playing a dude Ventrue, I was relatively low Humanity I think, and it was on the Hollywood quest where you have to go take care of the Hunter posing as a stripper. I got hit with a sword, and bam, frenzy. She was dead in seconds, it felt very :black101:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Woden posted:

My first full play through was as a Malk with pretty much no combat skills, I lived for frenzy as it seemed to buff you damage and maybe soak too. Could have just been me being terrible though.

Mine would just start wailing away on an enemy, dealing anywhere from zero to three damage per hit. It almost always got me killed.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Frenzy has always been useless as a way of dealing damage in my experience.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Speaking as someone who has never played Gangrel, I have never once frenzied outside of, "I'm quitting so I'll save and gently caress around." Is it an actual in-game concern? You have to work to lose humanity and a low blood pool has never caused me to frenzy, even when loving about.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've played the hell out of gangrel and frenzied exactly once, when I was super low on health and blood and had just lost some humanity from killing guards in the hospital. I think I tried to blood buff myself to pick a lock or something. I've never had a chance to actually use it in a fight, but I can't imagine it being very useful.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Crotch posted:

I've played the hell out of gangrel and frenzied exactly once, when I was super low on health and blood and had just lost some humanity from killing guards in the hospital. I think I tried to blood buff myself to pick a lock or something. I've never had a chance to actually use it in a fight, but I can't imagine it being very useful.

Its really not supposed to be, though. In V:TM, if your character went frenzy, the storyteller took over control of your character and you had to sit back and watch the terrible things that happened while you were frenzying. It was not something you would intentionally trigger. Frenzy means you have hosed up as a vampire, and now the beast is let loose and he is going to ruin your poo poo.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

morcant posted:

The only time I've ever frenzied was when I was playing a dude Ventrue, I was relatively low Humanity I think, and it was on the Hollywood quest where you have to go take care of the Hunter posing as a stripper. I got hit with a sword, and bam, frenzy. She was dead in seconds, it felt very :black101:

Had the same experience with the stripper / hunter. The other occasion my character frenzied was during the zombie cult leader fight. Again, he was dead before I regained control. Frenzy seems to be either the best or worst thing to happen to you at a given moment - depends how lucky you get flipping the coin.

Varjon
Oct 9, 2012

Comrades, I am discover LSD!

Fuzz posted:

The sewers are a good hiding place.

Fun exploit:

If you're planning on doing a shooty character, piss off the cops then go into the sewers. They will spawn down there and walk around all alone looking for you. You can run up and fang them, get a glock super early, and all the ammo you could want.

It'll hurt your humanity a bit, though. Just a bit.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Zaphod42 posted:

Its really not supposed to be, though. In V:TM, if your character went frenzy, the storyteller took over control of your character and you had to sit back and watch the terrible things that happened while you were frenzying. It was not something you would intentionally trigger. Frenzy means you have hosed up as a vampire, and now the beast is let loose and he is going to ruin your poo poo.

That depends on the story, and the character. In a Sabbat game, or one where your character is on another path of enlightenment, frenzy can be common and useful. That's well beyond the scope of Bloodlines though.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, no, I get that. My point was that even when playing the clan whose advantages and disadvantages both specifically relate to frenzies, they're still not really much of a thing in VTMB.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Yeah I'm playing as a Gangrel and Frenzy should be the poo poo, but when I go into it it does about three damage per strike.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Trying to get back into this game after a long time but I'm having a slight problem:

So I install the latest WESP patch, Basic because I really detest the superfluous bullshit. However, I still wanted Histories enabled so I used that mod...the problem is that every time I boot up the game, it seems like vchar_edit_histories is being reset to a 0 value and I can't select a History for my character. What gives? I know I'm saving the file properly and all, I even reopened the cfg file to double check but when I actually launch the game? It seems to reset itself.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
I played a generally low Humanity Ventrue and had a lot of fun frenzying in combat. Even if it's an inefficient source of damage, +5 Stamina makes you pretty invulnerable most of the time. It does get janky sometimes, like after fighting the vampire hunter and telling the professor I just rescued, "Don't worry, I'll let you live" I immediately frenzied and ate him.

All in all, I think it's super fun to be running around LA after a big mansion dungeon, low on life, low on blood, desperately trying to get to your blood doll or at least a dude alone in an alley, walking by groups of bums and whispering to yourself, "Please don't frenzy, please don't frenzy, I'm already at three Masquerade violations!"

I played a sweet-talking, hair-trigger, bloodthirsty thugmonster. I felt like the Ventrue's dirty secret. This game is rad.

You can also frenzy and attack the cab driver (who takes no damage and doesn't respond).

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Playing as a Gangrel and just frenzied while attacking the Sabbat at the Warehouse in Santa Monica. Got a bunch of 3's then a couple of 40's to finish him off. Frenzy for Gangrel gives you deadly protean claws at 46 damage potential. It was pretty cool.

Edit: Was half health and 2/3 blood, not sure why the frenzy triggered, though.

Fellwenner fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Nov 25, 2013

Hey Chief
Feb 21, 2013

Playing as a Tremere, I spent all my blood fighting the tzimitsche, had no back-up bloodbags and my health was low. Cue frenzy and leaning back while my character proceeded to maul the guy with bare fists.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

It seems the only way to get Wesp's patch is through some lovely German website that looks like something out of 1999. And my download is hardlimited to 30 KB/s.. Ah well, maybe next weekend.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Hey dudes, I got some crazy news. The modding community for this game still isn't dead, and I'm not just talking about Wesp. The Bloodlines Resurgence project, the project whose aim is to port VtMB to the Alien Swarm engine, is still under development and a multiplayer alpha has just been released to the public for testing and feedback. This is a great chance to play the game in a new way while providing support to the modding community by letting them know there's still people outside their forums who know this game exists and is totally awesome.

All the information (including a download link) can be found by clicking the following link:

http://planet-vampire.net/forum/index.php?topic=6314.0

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

That's pretty wild and it'll be something I check on every couple of months. Sounds like there are probably too many animation issues for them to realistically port the real game to a newer engine but we can hope.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
That is pretty incredible.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
Amazing, I wish he wouldn't waste time on multiplayer.

Just make the same drat game with minor enhancements and a smooth engine! :argh:

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
It's a shame that Troika decided to use what was essentially an alpha build of Source for their game. Being forced to roll out VBtM to coincide with the release of Half Life 2 before all the kinks could be worked out also didn't help. I've always wondered if the game would have been less janky if they just had worked with a less experimental but more developed engine at the time because, let's face it, it wasn't like they used the Source engine to it's full potential besides the facial expressions and like maybe a couple of moveable props.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

moot the hopple posted:

It's a shame that Troika decided to use what was essentially an alpha build of Source for their game. Being forced to roll out VBtM to coincide with the release of Half Life 2 before all the kinks could be worked out also didn't help. I've always wondered if the game would have been less janky if they just had worked with a less experimental but more developed engine at the time because, let's face it, it wasn't like they used the Source engine to it's full potential besides the facial expressions and like maybe a couple of moveable props.
They didn't have to roll the game out to coincide with HL2 - they had to wait until HL2 came out to release the game. In the downtime between completion and HL2's release, Troika didn't get to work on the game, so it was buggy when it came out, in addition to being on a newish untested engine. However, I'm not sure another engine would've been better for the game: it's not too janky these days, and honestly the facial animations are amazing. Even now they're much better than basically any game other than Valve's own games. If I had to give up LaCroix's face or Smiling Jack's face or Jeanette and Therese's faces I wouldn't like the game as much.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

Had the same experience with the stripper / hunter. The other occasion my character frenzied was during the zombie cult leader fight. Again, he was dead before I regained control. Frenzy seems to be either the best or worst thing to happen to you at a given moment - depends how lucky you get flipping the coin.

I had the same thing with the vampire hunter. Is that just a spot where it's really likely to frenzy, or something?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The stripper Inquisitor can do a surprising amount of damage to you really quick. If you're low on blood or Humanity that can easily trigger a frenzy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Crotch posted:

Yeah, no, I get that. My point was that even when playing the clan whose advantages and disadvantages both specifically relate to frenzies, they're still not really much of a thing in VTMB.

Ah yeah, definitely. Same with Humanity or Masquerade Violations, its not really a huge or great game mechanic. :v: But its nice they're there for flavor at least.

moot the hopple posted:

Fans have patched up the bugs and added new things here and there, so that's not so much of an issue in the long legacy. And they did actually use source's unique features pretty well, moreso than any other game I can think of except Half-Life 2 itself. And the only way you'd do that is by copying it and having a gravity gun and a bunch of physics puzzles. I like that they didn't beat you over the head with it, but it had lots of little subtle things that source did that other engines at the time couldn't do.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Dec 3, 2013

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
Huh, now that I've read the article about the updated version I'm rather more hopeful than when I first saw the news. Going multiplayer first is an excellent idea, since it may well fix the most important problem with Bloodlines: that it's an action RPG with forgettable-to-bad combat.

Just updating the engine and graphics would be largely worthless, since the graphics are among the most solid parts of the game, second only to the characterization. When/if they make it to single player they may even shorten or otherwise improve those sewers, but probably not.

On that note, is there a mod for Bloodlins that let you skip the sewers? Kinda like the DUngeon-B-Gone mod for Baldurs Gate 2, is what I'm hoping for.

Caustic Soda fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Dec 3, 2013

Adnachiel
Oct 21, 2012

Caustic Soda posted:

On that note, is there a mod for Bloodlins that let you skip the sewers? Kinda like the DUngeon-B-Gone mod for Baldurs Gate 2, is what I'm hoping for.

The Clan Quest mod has an alternate route where you have to follow Bertram to the warrens without him seeing you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
That sounds interesting, does Obfuscate work, or is it solely dependent on Sneaking? Is there a particular level of Sneaking you need for it to be feasible?

• Locked thread