Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tripwyre posted:

Not to be pedantic, but wouldn't it be good for Electro? Water doesn't kill electricity, it conducts it, spreading the blast of his powers, not putting them out.

If Electro works like a normal circuit then getting shorted would suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Water actually doesn't conduct electricity. When lightning strikes a lake, it passes along the surface instead of going through. :eng101:

Edit: Salt water is another matter, but that's irrelevant.

Arist fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 10, 2013

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Finally watched Amazing Spider-Man last night and now I really regret not seeing it in theatres. :(

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

MrAristocrates posted:

Water actually doesn't conduct electricity. When lightning strikes a lake, it passes along the surface instead of going through. :eng101:

Edit: Salt water is another matter, but that's irrelevant.

I thought the big deal with water is that it lowers your resistance to electricity.

Anways, in Spider-Man Reign, Spidey gets Electro to zap Hydro-Man and it's awesome.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

spacemost posted:

Finally watched Amazing Spider-Man last night and now I really regret not seeing it in theatres. :(

Me too. I watched (most of) it for the third time since it showed up on Encore and still think, despite its faults, it's better than the other movies. SM2 was on today and since my kid is getting old enough to watch these sorts of things, we had it on and, while still good, it's aged pretty badly.

I think the acting is what really separates the films for me.

Garfield, Stone, Field, Sheen, Leary are all really good in their roles. The script and pacing in ASM could have been better, the editing more tight and certainly the third act gets a little wonky, but overall I thought they just captured the essence of the character better. It seemed like a real teenage kid dealing with his problems along with his new found powers and I really, really prefer Garfield's take on this over Maguire's and the way the script handled it. The love scenes and "boy meets girl" stuff was way better too, something that really dragged down the original trilogy and that nobody liked aside from "upside down kiss".

I don't get the hate for ASM at all beyond nitpicking.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
My biggest semi-complaint is that the Spidey vs Lizard conflict was way less interesting than just about everything else in the film. I would have been happy with an entire film of Peter hunting down his uncle's shooter and character interaction, with a Big Bad saved for a sequel.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The trouble with the Lizard is one minute he's a surrogate father figure and the next he's a giant rampaging lizard monster. There's just not enough connecting tissue between the two.

Then again I have a feeling I'd be mobbed if I came right out and said I want a Spider-Man movie even more thoroughly about surrogate father figures. :v:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The trouble with the Lizard is one minute he's a surrogate father figure and the next he's a giant rampaging lizard monster. There's just not enough connecting tissue between the two.

Then again I have a feeling I'd be mobbed if I came right out and said I want a Spider-Man movie even more thoroughly about surrogate father figures. :v:

How about they built it up over 2.5 movies, and in the final act of the third, Spooderman needs to kill him? Kinda like a paraphrased Star Wars 4-6.

mfaley
Jul 30, 2005
Most rape is bad

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If I remember correctly, there is a significant amount of relationship-development between the two characters that was cut from the film, which would explain your impression that there is something missing there. In fact I think there is a youtube cut somewhere of all the missing scenes, showing their relationship on a deeper level.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mfaley posted:

If I remember correctly, there is a significant amount of relationship-development between the two characters that was cut from the film, which would explain your impression that there is something missing there. In fact I think there is a youtube cut somewhere of all the missing scenes, showing their relationship on a deeper level.

Even without that footage there's a clearly laid out connection between the two of them.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

spacemost posted:

My biggest semi-complaint is that the Spidey vs Lizard conflict was way less interesting than just about everything else in the film. I would have been happy with an entire film of Peter hunting down his uncle's shooter and character interaction, with a Big Bad saved for a sequel.

They cut a lot of the "hunting down uncle's shooter" stuff from the film. Some of it shows up in the deleted scenes in the DVD, and some were spotted in trailers but not elsewhere.

Remember Osborn's assistant that was threatening Conners? There's a huge scene in one of the trailers where he's being held hostage by Conners in the sewers and it was even in one of the trailers. That scene is never there in the movie and the last we see of him is him leaving New York to escape the rampaging Lizard.

StickyNavels
Apr 3, 2009
I think I liked ASM better on a rewatch. I hope they're able to capture the same weight and momentum in the fights in the sequel, though Electro not being a brawler will certainly mix things up. Can't wait for Jaime Foxx hamming it up alongside Giamatti. The stills look great, though that probably means less than one would think.

The only "big" flaw (aside from a chopped-up script) in ASM is the soundtrack, which I think is uninspired and annoying. It stands out, but never in a good way. It's a weird mix of different styles that never seem to blend together well - and I think they even did slapstick pizzicato on one or two occasions, which has never not been too silly-stupid.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

It sounds dumb, and I think I posted this in the Irrationally Irritating Movie Moments thread, but the the two biggest scenes dragging me out of the moment were Spiderman appearing in the locked car that the guy tried to steal (how'd he know which car the guy was after?) and the establishing scene where Conners has his entire Lizard Sewer Lab set up out of no where. Never even mind the stupid crane scene which everyone hates.

I would have at least liked to have seen a montage where Conners gradually steals and drags equipment down into the sewer, wires everything up and furthers his descent into madness, similar to the the brief way they showed Peter trying build a semi decent costume or his industrial webbing, but as it was, one minute Conners was shooting lizard heroin in a lab and the next he had a sewer super-ultra-villain Dr. Evil lair built.

To enjoy ASM you have to hand wave away a few things but unfortunately there were just too many of those moments. That's my only real complaint about the movie. Everything they showed was great but you could really feel the stuff they edited out.

^^^I think they're going to use Giamatti/Rhino for the physical stuff and then use Electro for the "whoa! My powers can't stop him! I have to think outside the box" moments in AMS2. Having said that, think about the cast in these two movies. Has there ever been a superhero series with more award winning clout behind it?

Sally Field, Paul Giamatti, Martin Sheen, Jamie Foxx, Dennis Leary, Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone, C. Thomas Howell, Chris Cooper...there's a lot of statues there. I guess Nolan's Batman movies had Bale, Caine, Freeman, Ledger, Hardy, etc. and the original Superman had Beatty, Hackman, Ford, Brando, Kidder and Valerie Perreine. poo poo, come to think of it, Batman 89 had a pretty kick rear end cast. So did the Avengers. My point is, though, that the actors they're using in these movies measure up to anything else used in the genre this far. It's sort of surprising for a film series that doesn;t generate the buzz the others do.

mfaley
Jul 30, 2005
Most rape is bad

BiggerBoat posted:

Spiderman appearing in the locked car that the guy tried to steal (how'd he know which car the guy was after?)

I have to whole-heartedly disagree with you here. I thought that scene was absolutely fantastic and one of the most Spiderman-y scene of any scenes in any Spiderman movie. It completely sold me on the writer's understanding of who Spiderman is, and Garfield's ability to be that character.

"If you're going to steal cars, don't dress like a car thief"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

mfaley posted:

I have to whole-heartedly disagree with you here. I thought that scene was absolutely fantastic and one of the most Spiderman-y scene of any scenes in any Spiderman movie. It completely sold me on the writer's understanding of who Spiderman is, and Garfield's ability to be that character.

"If you're going to steal cars, don't dress like a car thief"

I loved the scene and the whole "oh no! is that a knife?" thing, I just wondered how Spiderman got in the back seat of the one car the guy was going to steal in the first place. He'd have looked pretty stupid if he'd been in the Pontiac 3 cars down.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BiggerBoat posted:

I loved the scene and the whole "oh no! is that a knife?" thing, I just wondered how Spiderman got in the back seat of the one car the guy was going to steal in the first place. He'd have looked pretty stupid if he'd been in the Pontiac 3 cars down.

He used his Spider Sense to determine which car was most vulnerable.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
He'd been trying to pull that trick off for weeks and finally managed to be in the right car while it was being stolen.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vulpes posted:

He'd been trying to pull that trick off for weeks and finally managed to be in the right car while it was being stolen.

30 Rock, "Corporate Crush"

[Liz enters a room and stands behind Jack]
Jack: You've been avoiding me, Lemon.
Liz: How do you do that without turning around?
Jack: To be perfectly honest, the first couple of people I did that to were not you, but... here we are.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I'm really curious when we are going to get our trailer for ASM2. I mean this many months before ASM came out we already had a couple trailers for it and dammit I am impatient :mad:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aces High posted:

I'm really curious when we are going to get our trailer for ASM2. I mean this many months before ASM came out we already had a couple trailers for it and dammit I am impatient :mad:

Attached to the Hobbit 2 from what I have been told.

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Uh I figured that he was just waiting on the other side of the car and when the thief unlocked the car he opened the door stealthily in sync with the dude, and so was noticed. Hes goddamn Spider-man, that doesn't seem that difficult.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

This has been floating around, looks like our first looks at Rhino and Goblin in ASM2

Also trailer comes out Dec. 5

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Oh god drat, that is so badass. :dance:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Oh man, he's fighting a Cylon, Silver Surfer AND Emperor Palpatine!!!! :D

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
That Rhino costume is hard to make out. What is going on there?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Whatever the Rhino costume actually ends up being, it seems like they've shown Goblin's face on the screen in the top right.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

When did they confirm the Goblin was going to be in this? I thought we were only going to get crazy Osborn.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm really starting to get the feeling that this movie is going to be tackling Spider-Man as a media success, based on a bunch of the press shots, set leaks and now this poster taking place in Times Square with screens showing Spidey's face all over. It'll be interesting to see if in this world, Spider-Man essentially starts off as a viral media thing, similar to Grumpy Cat or something, but on a huge, city saving scale.

Edit: oh god, now I want a montage similar to the one in Spider-Man with all of the interviews, but instead it's a bunch of YouTube tributes.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 29, 2013

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Yoshifan823 posted:

I'm really starting to get the feeling that this movie is going to be tackling Spider-Man as a media success, based on a bunch of the press shots, set leaks and now this poster taking place in Times Square with screens showing Spidey's face all over. It'll be interesting to see if in this world, Spider-Man essentially starts off as a viral media thing, similar to Grumpy Cat or something, but on a huge, city saving scale.

Edit: oh god, now I want a montage similar to the one in Spider-Man with all of the interviews, but instead it's a bunch of YouTube tributes.

That would probably explain how they(hopefully) plan to bring in Kraven.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Comfortador posted:

That Rhino costume is hard to make out. What is going on there?

A rhino charging on 4 legs?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Dacap posted:

This has been floating around, looks like our first looks at Rhino and Goblin in ASM2

Also trailer comes out Dec. 5

:flashfap:

Jesus I think I might fall into a coma from the hype this movie is creating in me

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Hey who wants a super blurry low-quality version of the trailer...in Russian?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I wonder what you would have to say to get fans to not check this out.

"Hey guys, who wants to see a super blurry low-quality trailer in Russian with workprint effects, inverted colours and it's upside-down and it'll give you seizures even if you're not epileptic? Cuz it looks like that extra in the black t-shirt means they're setting up VENOMMMM!!!"

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
From the blur of colors and language I can't understand...it looks badass. :v:

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Jesus Christ even that blurry mess looked incredible. I have few doubts that this is going to be better than any of the other movies. They just loving nailed the look and movement of Spidey so well.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dacap posted:

Jesus Christ even that blurry mess looked incredible. I have few doubts that this is going to be better than any of the other movies. They just loving nailed the look and movement of Spidey so well.

People are gonna whine about slow-mo, but it looks pretty cool from what they showed. ASM was the first movie to get all the Spider-Man action moves right imo.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Holy poo poo

Where those Ock's arms and Vulture's wings?

This movie can't be released fast enough :flashfap:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
:stare: Holy poo poo. If they manage to pull off what they are looking to pull off in one movie without it turning out poorly I will be impressed.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dexo posted:

:stare: Holy poo poo. If they manage to pull off what they are looking to pull off in one movie without it turning out poorly I will be impressed.

So they are planning on making this kind of a 2-3 parter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Its pretty clear they have Sinister 6 plans for at least the next movie. I'm curious how quick they're going to jump into Venom, if at all.

• Locked thread