Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yyyyyy
Jan 13, 2013

by T. Finninho

Throatwarbler posted:

So there's a Kia Forte SX 5 door too.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-kia-forte5-turbo-test-review

How is this thing over a second slower to 60 than a Civic Si with the same power?

Different gearing/transmission maybe? I'm assuming they're similar weight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's probably restricted, factory turbo cars tend to benefit a lot from bolt on mods like down pipes, maybe it just needs to be opened up a little to get the full potential. If that's the case it sure as hell is a legitimate Hot Hatch.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
But they have the same horsepower rating.

I noticed a lot of the same thing with the 2.0t in the Sonata/Optima too. Either the car has some kind of huge drivetrain loss or Hyundai is being rather optimistic with their power ratings.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
That rating is for peak power. Actual power delivery matters for performance but won't be reflected in the number.

Most likely, though, it's a gearing thing.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Say what you will about Honda but they really know how to match a transmission to an n/a engine.

Even back in the B-series days none of the competition seemed to be able to get it as right as Honda did

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

But they have the same horsepower rating.

I noticed a lot of the same thing with the 2.0t in the Sonata/Optima too. Either the car has some kind of huge drivetrain loss or Hyundai is being rather optimistic with their power ratings.

Would turbo lag cause slower 0 to 60 times though? That was kind of my thinking....Get the turbo to work sooner/better and the times would be better. IDK.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
If the transmission gearing was that far off one would hope it would give better economy numbers instead.

I'd suspect the tires. C&D didn't seem impressed with the Nexen? all-seasons on the Kia as they seemed to hold back performance all around. The Civic's internet numbers seem at a glance to be on Michelin summer tires. I'd buy that that could account for a second on the 0-60 times.

That being said it wouldn't be the first time Hyundai/Kia's been accused of being overzealous with their numbers.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Car and Driver Chevrolet SS test results are out and the results are pretty good

quote:

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 4.5 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 10.5 sec
Zero to 150 mph: 28.6 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 5.1 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 2.6 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 3.1 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.9 sec @ 111 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 160 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 153 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.95 g

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Why is this? Terrible throttle response?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ziploc posted:

Why is this? Terrible throttle response?

:confused: This the case for every car, and it's because you don't dump the clutch to go from 5-60mph.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Dec 2, 2013

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Oh, derp, that makes sense. Roll means no wheelspin, which means engine could be below ideal torque.

Still, could indicate a slow opening FBW throttle.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Throatwarbler posted:

So there's a Kia Forte SX 5 door too.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-kia-forte5-turbo-test-review

How is this thing over a second slower to 60 than a Civic Si with the same power?
I test drove a Veloster Turbo with the same engine. I went in thinking that it would feel as fast as a GTI (same power) and a bit faster than my Cooper S (30 less hp). Instead, it felt like it was down 30-40 hp to those cars. It turns out that the GTI and Cooper S are massively underrated and I think Honda's numbers for the Civic SI might be too. Gearing also plays a part; I know the Hyundai (and probably the Kia) are geared for economy and the Civic SI isn't.

I had the same feeling driving a Kia Optima turbo. It doesn't feel like it has 274 hp.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

dissss posted:

Say what you will about Honda but they really know how to match a transmission to an n/a engine.

Absolutely, the Si is deceptively fast for it's power figures once the RPMs climb past 5,000. I can't find tabulated results for the 2012's acceleration times, but I suspect that it probably moves from 50-70 quicker than a similarly powered turbo car like the GTI. The GTI runs out of steam after 6k and the Civic actually makes the same or a bit more torque than the GTI after 6k and produces more peak power at its redline than the old GTI does.

LtDansMagkLegs
Jul 23, 2013

oRenj9 posted:

Absolutely, the Si is deceptively fast for it's power figures once the RPMs climb past 5,000. I can't find tabulated results for the 2012's acceleration times, but I suspect that it probably moves from 50-70 quicker than a similarly powered turbo car like the GTI. The GTI runs out of steam after 6k and the Civic actually makes the same or a bit more torque than the GTI after 6k and produces more peak power at its redline than the old GTI does.

Agree, for "only" 201 hp it posts really good numbers for it's class. MT showed it slower 0-60 but an identical 1/4 mile as a Focus ST with only a slightly slower trap speed. It would be nice to see Honda bring the new Type R over to the US. Maybe with a faster GTI coming, possible nismo Sentra, and the Focus ST here now Honda will consider it.

E: Saw autoblog got to to test drive the new Type R, those seats and interior look nice imo. Impressions were brief but very positive. Honda wants to be the fastest production FWD on the Nurburgring

Full article: http://www.autoblog.com/2013/12/02/2015-honda-civic-type-r-prototype/

LtDansMagkLegs fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 3, 2013

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

oRenj9 posted:

I haven't been around the new ones, but I test drove a 2011 with a god-awful exhaust and enjoyed it aside from the sound. Car had definitely been beat on, otherwise I was considering trading up for it.

Anyway, it drove great and I was very surprised how hard it pulled in 2nd and even 3rd gear getting on to the highway.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

LtDansMagkLegs posted:

Agree, for "only" 201 hp it posts really good numbers for it's class. MT showed it slower 0-60 but an identical 1/4 mile as a Focus ST with only a slightly slower trap speed. It would be nice to see Honda bring the new Type R over to the US. Maybe with a faster GTI coming, possible nismo Sentra, and the Focus ST here now Honda will consider it.

E: Saw autoblog got to to test drive the new Type R, those seats and interior look nice imo. Impressions were brief but very positive. Honda wants to be the fastest production FWD on the Nurburgring

Full article: http://www.autoblog.com/2013/12/02/2015-honda-civic-type-r-prototype/

That back end is loving awful. It looks like the Insight with that dreadful Mugen wing on the rear.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Anyone know what Alfa is planning on doing for dealers? I've heard Maserati and Fiat mentioned but can't find anything concrete. I want to know since I'm considering trying to put a deposit down on a 4C.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

fknlo posted:

Anyone know what Alfa is planning on doing for dealers? I've heard Maserati and Fiat mentioned but can't find anything concrete. I want to know since I'm considering trying to put a deposit down on a 4C.

I've heard both and the comedy Chrysler option. Due to the rarity I'd wager the Maserati dealer is likelier. Has the price been released? I can't imagine it will be under 60k.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bovril Delight posted:

I've heard both and the comedy Chrysler option. Due to the rarity I'd wager the Maserati dealer is likelier. Has the price been released? I can't imagine it will be under 60k.

$55k if I remember right :cool:

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Yo dawg I heard you liked binnacles

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I doubt we'll get that Type R, but I wonder if we'll get that turbo VTEC motor in something else.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

blk posted:

Yo dawg I heard you liked binnacles

Stop.

In actual content, looks like the the Fiat Doblo-based ProMaster City is going to be a rather nice competitor to the Transit. I'm really glad that the transit van market is growing here.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Goofy looking but still leagues better than the 500L.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

PeterWeller posted:

I doubt we'll get that Type R, but I wonder if we'll get that turbo VTEC motor in something else.

Sure, a loving Acura crossover or some poo poo.

Also next year the BTCC Honda team will be running some awesome-looking Civic wagon body styles.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

fknlo posted:

$55k if I remember right :cool:

Are they really going to be that cheap? They're ~£60k in the UK iirc.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

The Midniter posted:

Sure, a loving Acura crossover or some poo poo.

Also next year the BTCC Honda team will be running some awesome-looking Civic wagon body styles.

More likely we will get an Accord Crosstour Type R. America can't have nice things.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

drgitlin posted:

Are they really going to be that cheap? They're ~£60k in the UK iirc.

I didn't think it would be anywhere near that cheap either, but the pricing has supposedly been confirmed. I was expecting to end up with a Corvette since the Cayman S shoots up to $90k with any options and decent looking Exige S's are climbing in price since they aren't bringing the new one, so I was pretty excited to see that price. They aren't bringing many of them, so it might be a hassle to actually get one at a reasonable price.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

New Mustang pics leaked in Autoweek.

I see a 350Z in the roofline profile, a Taurus SHO in the headlights and grille treatment, and rear fenders lifted straight off the Camaro. The rear end is probably it's most interesting angle, but that body-colored lower diffuser is weird.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
That vertical glass to metal ratio is absurd. The Z already feels like conning a submarine sometimes.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

maybe it will look better in the flesh, but coming from the evos concept to this is a dissapointment.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Ehhhhhh.... if that's the real deal it doesn't seem that catchy to me. Non-blurry photos will help me decide. A little disappointing, as I've been digging the Mustang since the 5.0 came back. We'll see though. On a positive note this model is supposed to be 200 pounds lighter and have an IRS.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
That greenhouse + roofline: :barf:

Or whatever emot is closest to a mime doing the shrinking box routine.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
<- Evos Concept car

Why do you hate visibility/necks Ford?

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Dec 4, 2013

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Well, the good news is that door probably has enough reinforced steel to take a T-bone hit from the tractor-trailer you couldn't see coming through your gunslits

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Wrap it up haters of fastback SUVs~

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Jaguar I presume?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Snowdens Secret posted:

Well, the good news is that door probably has enough reinforced steel to take a T-bone hit from the tractor-trailer you couldn't see coming through your gunslits

Honestly I think the problem is that they chickened out on the fastback of the EVos concept and instead went for a more conventional decklid with quite a bit of angle on the rear fascia (versus the near-negative angle on the concept). They also seem to have gone for a straighter rear glass/c pillars to more closely evoke the original first gen Mustang I think instead of bowing it out more for rear head room. But then because of that plus making the car slightly shorter and going for a hidden b pillar, the second rear window gets super small and the bottom of the greenhouse now has to start moving up while in the door instead of down like in the concept, making the glass look small and squinty. That rear was what made the concept pop as luxy and almost Aston Martin-like, and without it I think it looks a lot worse.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Dec 4, 2013

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

CharlesM posted:

Jaguar I presume?

That was my guess, reverse GIS confirms

Cream_Filling posted:

Honestly I think the problem is that they chickened out on the fastback of the EVos concept and instead went for a more conventional decklid with quite a bit of angle on the rear fascia (versus the near-negative angle on the concept). They also seem to have gone for a straighter rear glass/c pillars to more closely evoke the original first gen Mustang I think instead of bowing it out more for rear head room. But then because of that plus making the car slightly shorter and going for a hidden b pillar, the second rear window gets super small and the bottom of the greenhouse now has to start moving up while in the door instead of down like in the concept, making the glass look small and squinty. That rear was what made the concept pop as luxy and almost Aston Martin-like, and without it I think it looks a lot worse.

The concept also has about a foot less car behind the rear axle, I wonder if it was impossible to pull off and maintain crash standards.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

I suspected the Mustang's profile would look more appealing if not for the distortion due to the fold in the magazine and the perspective distortion, so I took the liberty of smoothing it out in photoshop.

Much better. Looks a lot less like a Z or that Accord now that it's been lengthened out to its presumed actual proportions.

donut fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

donut posted:

I suspected the Mustang's profile would look more appealing if not for the distortion due to the fold in the magazine and the perspective distortion, so I took the liberty of smoothing it out in photoshop.

Much better. Looks a lot less like a Z or that Accord now that it's been lengthened out to its presumed actual proportions.

Good point, that's probably much more accurate.