Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

It's not hard to figure out - Bandai has already shown off the model kits. :v:

Can you tell its gimmicks by looking at the kit :v:?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Can you tell its gimmicks by looking at the kit :v:?

I'd suspect that Sei's "I know, I'll just make poo poo up!" revelation in this episode throws a whole lot of speculation out the window. It does, however, seem to use a variant on the Victory-2 Gundam's Wings of Light.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

Edit: haha Allenby cameo!

Fixed that for you.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Feminism is over. Mission accomplished.

For real though, I did like the look at China's personality. And her interactions with Caro were pretty hilarious.

Also, why was Sazaki at the girl's tournament?

Endorph fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 2, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
You know I wasn't sure what to expect when I heard it was going to be a China episode, but that was pretty great!

It's good that China's life isn't actually devoted to Sei's, that's just how it comes across since we normally see her from Sei's point of view. And instead of some wishy-washy "you inspired me by doing this thing I have done for years better than me somehow" it's an actual revelation that you can just do whatever the gently caress you want to your kit.

Sazaki's photobombs were the best part of the episode though. Well, that and the fact that ever since last episode Ral's been running back to the shop to exposit. :allears:

EDIT: Since they never show who won, I'm just going to assume Not Kamille did and none of you can stop me.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Dec 2, 2013

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

BlitzBlast posted:

EDIT: Since they never show who won, I'm just going to assume Not Kamille did and none of you can stop me.

Obviously it was Sazaki. You didn't think she was a guy did you?

I think one of my favorite parts of the episode was that SD Knight Gundam was computer animated/cell shaded, just like a real SD Gundam show!

TNG fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 2, 2013

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

This episode is full of so many good moments:
Bearguy rocky training montage, ~Caro-chan~, Caroline dragging a bewildered Nils out of her dad's office, Bearguy's secret backstory, Ringouts count, did they ever mention that before? Sazaki chillin out in the background.

Next episode looks like it's going to be pretty boss too, I never thought this show would turn out as entertaining as it did.
e: Thought it was weird that they put Nils and Sei in the same room and didn't have them interact at all but it's China's episode for China so that's alright.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 2, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Back in the first episode Sazaki mentioned you could do that. Speaking of the first episode, if anyone was wondering why that dude freaked out when Reiji showed up, it's because he was the dude Reiji stole bread from way back then.

Man now I need to wait another week, why does this show have to be so good. :negative:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Episode was hilarious, Bearguy owns, still disappointed in China considering her entire motivation for doing this turned out to just be "get Sei out of his workshop/help Sei out." Do like that neither she nor Sei wackyspazyanime when someone mentions girlfriend/boyfriend though.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Allenby yessssssssssss. Best episode.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Incidentally, the fact that Nobell Gundam went berserk despite not being the berserker mode HG in this episode basically confirms that there's no strict rule over what carries over from the source material to the models and it's all just dependent on what would look cool in a fight and move the most merchandise.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Incidentally, the fact that Nobell Gundam went berserk despite not being the berserker mode HG in this episode basically confirms that there's no strict rule over what carries over from the source material to the models and it's all just dependent on what would look cool in a fight and move the most merchandise.

It also confirms that stuff is probably just for show and not actually an impact on the combat ability of the suit. considering I doubt Allenby was berserkering out there. Doubly underlined by Sei's realization of "wait, poo poo, why am I worrying about the canon?"

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 2, 2013

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Well this certainly explains where Nils got his horse from.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Err, I dropped this show because I wasn't really engaged in the first episode, but my friend hinted me that some character sharing my nationality makes an appearance so I have to see it because we finns care way too much how we're portrayed even if it's completely non-sensical and non-factual. And I'm in the middle of the third episode, and this is an honest to good show? It seems they can kind of march all these outrageous personalities on to the stage without breaking the plot. Kind of brilliant. Awesome comedic moments like the SIEG ZEON moment in the third episode.

...I don't have any lectures tomorrow, and I want to binge this show so hard, but I registered for my student society's breakfast meeting early morning because, hey, free breakfast?! :byodood:
I regret that so hard now. :suicide:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Not only is this show good, the fight in episode 6 is one of the best fights in Gundam in general.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Zedd posted:

Not only is this show good, the fight in episode 6 is one of the best fights in Gundam in general.

That's what I really love about the setting. Because their lives aren't in danger, they can have a lot of vicious battles that would normally only be seen at the very end of the show.

Seriously, in a normal Gundam show that fight would have been the final battle.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Eej posted:

Everything about the Qubeley is "girly" from the colour scheme, the fighting style (avoiding smashing your beam dicks against other people by using funnels), the overall rounded shape versus the sharp angles of the other suits, and also the the fact that the most famous pilot is a woman.

The only one of those that has any legitimacy to me is the last one. You might as well argue that the Gelgoog Commander is a girly mobile suit. Lots of pink? Check. Rounded shape? Hips, shoulders, ankles etc. all checking out for that. No funnels, but it does have ranged weaponry, which is all your rather arbitrary definition for it means anyways. You might think the Quebeley is girly from the ground up, but there is nothing girly looking about it to me beyond the pink highlights. And a whole bunch of suits in Gundam have pink on them in one form or another.

Regardless, episode owns. I burst out laughing at least half a dozen times, from China's painting of Bearguy III eating honey through the back-story explanation to the cotton candy popping out of the arm and then China playing bowling with the Knight Gundam. I hope she continues to take lessons in control from Reiji and making silly as poo poo customizations.

tsob fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 3, 2013

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

tsob posted:

Regardless, episode owns. I burst out laughing at least half a dozen times, from China's painting of Bearguy III eating honey through the back-story explanation to the cotton candy popping out of the arm and then China playing bowling with the Knight Gundam. I hope she continues to take lessons in control from Reiji and making silly as poo poo customizations.

Given how the Bearguy-san kit is made I think at some point it's going to use the Build Strike backpack to ruin some fools.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
I wonder if China is a better pilot than Sei.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Sonata Mused posted:

I think she is. I dont think Sei would be capable enough to dodge half of the shots Reiji fired at her. Also Reiji calls it like he sees it, and he praised her talent. Whereas he doesn't shy away at saying that Sei's control sucks.

e-I still feel like China's character has some more growth left in it. We'll probably get another all girls episode later on.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 3, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sonata Mused posted:

Almost certainly. I don't think there is anyone on the show who is a worse pilot given what we know.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

The only one of those that has any legitimacy to me is the last one. You might as well argue that the Gelgoog Commander is a girly mobile suit. Lots of pink? Check. Rounded shape? Hips, shoulders, ankles etc. all checking out for that. No funnels, but it does have ranged weaponry, which is all your rather arbitrary definition for it means anyways. You might think the Quebeley is girly from the ground up, but there is nothing girly looking about it to me beyond the pink highlights. And a whole bunch of suits in Gundam have pink on them in one form or another.[/spoiler]

You're confusing two separate things here. In older anime, it was necessary to use paler colours to make details show up more clearly, which is why suits that are supposed to be red (like Char's early machines - observe how the trend stopped with the later and bigger-budget Char's Counterattack) end up pink and black suits (like the Psyco Gundam) are usually indigo or purple. The Qubeley, by contrast, has very intentionally hot pink highlights rather than just faded red.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

You're confusing two separate things here. In older anime, it was necessary to use paler colours to make details show up more clearly, which is why suits that are supposed to be red (like Char's early machines - observe how the trend stopped with the later and bigger-budget Char's Counterattack) end up pink and black suits (like the Psyco Gundam) are usually indigo or purple. The Qubeley, by contrast, has very intentionally hot pink highlights rather than just faded red.

Oh I'm aware of why it's pink, I just don't care. It's pink regardless of the reasons behind it's design. The inverse would be to argue that the Acguy (or Kapool/Capule) isn't a cute suit because it wasn't designed to be cute - it just turned out that way in the popular consciousness, therefor it doesn't count. Or to play it straighter, to say that the Freedom is an objectively cool suit, because that's the feeling it's designer was going for and therefor it can only evoke that regardless of opinion because that's the intention. The Quebeley has some girly colors highlighting it, but there's nothing girly looking about the suit itself when considered overall - except the fact girls pilot it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Quebley is intentionally designed as a feminine suit. It's the successor to the Elmeth and named after a goddess and is designed with a "Queen Bee" motif and with soften lines than most Zeon suits which otherwise tended to be 'harder' suit. It's also given a vivid white and pink color scheme. It isn't like the Nobel Gundam or whatever where it's A Girl Suit but it's clearly supposed to read as 'female.'

It's a loving awesome design. :colbert: If all 'girl' suits were that instead of "take a dude suit, paint it pink" then ain't nobody would be complaining.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

tsob posted:

The Quebeley has some girly colors highlighting it, but there's nothing girly looking about the suit itself when considered overall - except the fact girls pilot it.

Sure about that?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
The Qubeley really stands out from the rest of the Zeon suits. Zeon suits are usually a lot rounder than the more blocky Gundams and GMs, but the Qubeley is really curvy. It's design is kind of... alien. Like, it actually looks like an alien, complete with the elongated Xenomorph style head, long sharp fingers and huge shoulder things. I've been wanting to get the MG of it for a long time, but just haven't gotten around to it. My local store has Elpeo Ple's but if you're going to get a Qubeley, you need to get Haman Karn's or get out.

EDIT:

Yeah, I more think "alien" when I see the Qubeley over "girly" although it is somewhat feminine.

V V V V V V

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 3, 2013

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'd honestly be surprised if "girly" (or any synonym thereof) was the word people would choose to use to describe it if you showed it to 10 or 20 people unfamiliar with the source material, especially if you showed them the Quebeley Mk II 2 or the mass produced one. Which is pretty much my point. It's not a girly looking MS, regardless of the intention behind the design. Whether you want to take that as praise and how all female bodied MS should be or whether you want to take it as an indictment of the design or whatever, my point is that unlike the Nobel, the Bearguy and other suits that I don't think it's particularly girly looking or evoking of femininity upon first impression.

BlitzBlast posted:

Sure about that?

I wasn't aware only women had long fingers.

tsob fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Dec 3, 2013

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
The Qubeley was a Mamoru Nagano design, which should explain why its aesthetic is different.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

tsob posted:

I wasn't aware only women had long fingers.

Not really sure why you jumped to that, but the point was that the Qubeley's hands are much more elegant than pretty much any other Gundam design ever, even the Turn A's "fingers so precise it could pick up a bucket of water".

Because you see, it is a mobile suit designed for a woman and as such puts emphasis on grace. And that's ignoring all the other aspects of it ImpAtom brought up.

EDIT: I mean yeah, to any person not already familiar with mecha it's about as feminine as the GP02, but that doesn't mean it's not clearly designed as a feminine mech. Or does that not matter and only G-Gundam style "hit your head over what this mech is supposed to represent" designs count?

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Dec 3, 2013

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

BlitzBlast posted:

Or does that not matter and only G-Gundam style "hit your head over what this mech is supposed to represent" designs count?

Given that the entire thing started from a picture showing gunpla for girls whose other examples were a Bearguy and the Nobel Gundam, then yea, I'm saying that the Quebeley stands apart from them in it's portrayal of a feminine mech by having some feminine influences, but not just screaming "this is for girls!"

tsob fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 3, 2013

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

BlitzBlast posted:

Not really sure why you jumped to that, but the point was that the Qubeley's hands are much more elegant than pretty much any other Gundam design ever, even the Turn A's "fingers so precise it could pick up a bucket of water".

Because you see, it is a mobile suit designed for a woman and as such puts emphasis on grace. And that's ignoring all the other aspects of it ImpAtom brought up.

EDIT: I mean yeah, to any person not already familiar with mecha it's about as feminine as the GP02, but that doesn't mean it's not clearly designed as a feminine mech. Or does that not matter and only G-Gundam style "hit your head over what this mech is supposed to represent" designs count?

Well the alternative is to just make the mech smaller (physically and proportions-wise) and crappier because it's for girls.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Atleast the Archer made me be less critical of other suits having large backpacks. Not only is it bigger than the mech itself, but it's also the least interesting backpack of all the modern gundams.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The best girl suit is the Destroy.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Eej posted:

Well the alternative is to just make the mech smaller (physically and proportions-wise) and crappier because it's for girls.

You forgot "exists to dock with the male character's rear end."

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

MechaCrash posted:

You forgot "exists to dock with the male character's rear end."

I always knew Allelujah was into weird poo poo like that.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

An interesting reference some have noticed:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
"Hello Caro-chan, my name is Bearguy III!" "And its mouth moves!!!" had me guffawing like a crazy person. China rules, episode ruled, series is ruling. Hard. :c00lbert:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah, the only bad part of that was that it seems China and Bearguy are going to be relegated to side episodes.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

In a hilarious coincidence,

the real life American GBWC champion also went for the samurai look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

tsob posted:

Funny thing was that all the old-timers sperg a hell of a lot over their unit's backstory and how canonical it is. The great Gunpla discovery is that you can just do whatever the hell you feel like. Satellite Cannon needs the moon to charge? Not if your headcanon goes around that!

Definitely need more Bearguy fun. What's next I wonder, bring in the Beam Ribbon from Nobel Gundam for it's giant ribbon?

• Locked thread