Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
The image that started it was this:

Everything else in the illustration is an existing toy and the Rodimus pictured there is easy to make out as a head swap on the Springer mold, so probably something close to this:

It works way better than it should.

As for $550 Scorponok, other figures on the small end of voyager size by the same company are around $100 (edit: well, $140 on BBTS due to markup); I'm kind of surprised they didn't try to go for closer to $1000. (and it was from WonderFest, not TFcon.)

SpikeMcclane fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

40% off Transformers right now at TRU

http://www.toysrus.com/search/index.jsp?kwcatid=&kw=tf1212013&origkw=tf1212013&f=taxonomy/trus/2254197&sr=1&ppg=96

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SpikeMcclane posted:

Why...why does Megatron have boobs?

Edit:

Rubiks Pubes posted:

None of my coworkers have Costco memberships and having recently moved here I don't know very many people outside of work.

:Lonely:

Dude, Metroplex is $77 at TRU online RIGHT NOW.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 1, 2013

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Leftover of the Bludgeon mold.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I bet Hound is based on this guy.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Captain Invictus posted:

I bet Hound is based on this guy.

Reprolabels should make a "gently caress OFF" sticker for his gas tank.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

MEATY MARTHA posted:

Leftover of the Bludgeon mold.

A shame they didn't bother retooling it at all beyond the head. Change the upper arms and legs, replace the feet and chest piece, and lose the center "skirt" piece and you'd have a passable tank Megatron. You wouldn't have to change the transformation one bit to make those changes, and though it sounds like a lot, I would think it's cheaper than making an entirely new figure.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Well poo poo, nearly $900 worth of Transformers for $340 with free shipping. Thanks for that link!

3 Springer
3 Beast Hunter Shockwave
3 Generations Megatron
3 FOC Soundwave
3 FOC Soundblaster
3 Thundercracker
3 FOC Rumble pack
2 FOC Frenzy pack
2 Dark of the Moon Optimus Prime Helmet
1 RID Deluxe Rumble
1 Generations Deluxe Hoist

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 1, 2013

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

SpikeMcclane posted:

Everything else in the illustration is an existing toy and the Rodimus pictured there is easy to make out as a head swap on the Springer mold, so probably something close to this:

As for $550 Scorponok, other figures on the small end of voyager size by the same company are around $100 (edit: well, $140 on BBTS due to markup); I'm kind of surprised they didn't try to go for closer to $1000. (and it was from WonderFest, not TFcon.)

I'm not entirely sold on Rodimus being a Springer repaint. The triple changer flight mode just wouldn't make sense. Unless this is going to be like GDO where America gets them as a store exclusive subline or something.

I Do like that silver megatron though.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

SpikeMcclane posted:

The robot mode works, but that car mode is too clunky for a Rodimus. Rodimus is supposed to be a sleek sportscar, not a weird buggy. Since they're reusing the Classics Prime mode again I don't see why they don't just reuse the Classics Hot Rod mold to go with it if they want a Rodimus. I mean, based on the art they're not even giving him a new head.

On the topic of badly conceived repaints, remember when Cybertron Starscream was shelfwarming all over the place because he was ridiculously out of scale with everything else? Well how would you like the chance to pay $100 for him?

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
Well, the Megatron and Optimus are each a Takara Tomy Mall (which from my understanding is like Bandai's Tamashii Web exclusives) and eHobby exclusive. I would expect somewhere around a 0% chance of it getting a hasbro release. Maybe some sold through funpub, since they have a partnership with eHobby, but then you're dealing with funpub and the previous time they did anything with eHobby, it was more expensive than just buying from eHobby via a middleman service. And they didn't retool anything on the others: the head mold was already there from the GDO Megatron.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Knormal posted:

On the topic of badly conceived repaints, remember when Cybertron Starscream was shelfwarming all over the place because he was ridiculously out of scale with everything else? Well how would you like the chance to pay $100 for him?

Gonna wait for him to drop to 60 then buy him.

Also real missed opportunity with cross branding on the Year of the horse Optimus. I'm serious, I woulda been fine getting a purple and pink colored optimus :colbert:

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

If they used that Classics Rodimus mold again the thing could just be a bunch of broken pieces at the bottom of the blister pack by the time you got it.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

The Taint Reaper posted:

I'm not entirely sold on Rodimus being a Springer repaint. The triple changer flight mode just wouldn't make sense. Unless this is going to be like GDO where America gets them as a store exclusive subline or something.

I Do like that silver megatron though.

I think it actually works a lot better if they use the Springer mold's legs and body but Sandstorm's upper-arms and backpack, but remold the VTOL propellers to just be Rodimus' fin-tips, then totally disregard the fact that the thing ever had a third mode.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Rei_ posted:

If they used that Classics Rodimus mold again the thing could just be a bunch of broken pieces at the bottom of the blister pack by the time you got it.

They need to make a Voyager or Leader sized Rodimus Prime.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Thanks so much Mr. Teh Rage, did anyone get a Voyager Skyquaaaake? I need that green bastard and then I can put a little tick on my Prime/RID list [ ] COMPLETED

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Why cookie Rocket posted:

The mention of Cybertron is interesting...I know it's the least of the series's problems, but it always drives me nuts how in the Bayverse the Transformers themselves make no sense. They come from Cybertron, but Cybertron is dead and gone, but there's always more of them "out there" to end up on Earth for the next big fight. And they get to Earth by zooming around the galaxy as meteors, except when they use spaceships? It's hard enough suspending my disbelief without a contradictory nonsensical backstory.

About the only way the movies make sense is if the events of each previous film are just treated like Evil Dead 1 and each new film is like Evil Dead 2, where they're all sequels and remakes at the exact same time. A reveal that each movie happened in some alternate universe could only help.

At this point, the robots are such a big draw of the films they could likely afford to make them the full-on only actors in the movies and try something 'fun' like turning more space opera-like. Pull some of the galaxy trekking stuff from the comics and cartoons and have interacting with aliens and stuff, getting into fights in space bars and nightclubs, spend time giving them some character and personalities, etc.

Prawn Salad
Dec 7, 2010

I-I still think you're cool,
Onii-chan...

JediTalentAgent posted:

About the only way the movies make sense is if the events of each previous film are just treated like Evil Dead 1 and each new film is like Evil Dead 2, where they're all sequels and remakes at the exact same time. A reveal that each movie happened in some alternate universe could only help.

At this point, the robots are such a big draw of the films they could likely afford to make them the full-on only actors in the movies and try something 'fun' like turning more space opera-like. Pull some of the galaxy trekking stuff from the comics and cartoons and have interacting with aliens and stuff, getting into fights in space bars and nightclubs, spend time giving them some character and personalities, etc.

Or we could have more pot brownies and dogs humping while a Victoria's Secret model stands around going like this

:wink:
:wmwink:

I mean, either one works, really.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Prawn Salad posted:

Or we could have more pot brownies and dogs humping while a Victoria's Secret model stands around going like this

:wink:
:wmwink:

I mean, either one works, really.

This one yields like a billion dollars and the other one probably won't, so... :(

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

It now makes perfect sense why they introduced NASCAR Transformers.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

revtoiletduck posted:

This one yields like a billion dollars and the other one probably won't, so... :(
I think they'd both jam revenue either way but the one increases the cost of the production. Let's evaluate 60 seconds of entirely robot action vs 60 seconds of actors picked off a reality TV show in terms of cost for a moment. Is the latter number a one digit percent of the former?

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Spiderdrake posted:

I think they'd both jam revenue either way but the one increases the cost of the production. Let's evaluate 60 seconds of entirely robot action vs 60 seconds of actors picked off a reality TV show in terms of cost for a moment. Is the latter number a one digit percent of the former?

No, because CG effects houses aren't paid nearly what everyone thinks they are to do this stuff. At this point the CG effects work is probably costing a lot less than what it cost them to shoot on location in China. Effects houses are scrambling to be the lowest bidder just to get work right now, to the point that even houses that are regularly working are losing money because they're trying to stay competitive. The next big fight in Hollywood will be the CG effects houses demanding fair compensation, which already started a little bit this year when many major effects workers protested outside the Academy Awards.

It's not about cost, it's about star power. Bay doesn't want to make a robot cartoon, he wants to make a movie with real known actors who can promote the film and look hot on the poster. Optimus Prime and Bumblebee can't sit in a chair and tell international audiences how awesome the movie is on a junket or on Leno. You're probably right that it would make a similar amount of money, but Bay and the people financing the films are never going to realize/admit that. They've got a formula and it works and they're sticking to it. Even if it means casting Mark Wahlberg, apparently.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Yeah, I mean, those movies make SO MUCH money, guys. Like, phenomenally huge amounts of money. Our opinion really, really does not matter regardless of what kind of grognards we happen to be because we'll all end up watching the films anyway, more than likely.

The only way you'll ever see any kind of faithful TF feature film at this point is if the next one loses some ungodly amount of money and Michael Bay is arrested as a pedophile (or something else that forever ruins his name and style of directing). Say what you will about Bay, but I would think most people can agree he knows how to make tons of cash and make everything look good while he's doing it.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Gammatron 64 posted:

No, I'm afraid Hound is gonna be Robo-Duck Dynasty.

You know this is exactly what it's going to be. :(

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Well at the very least I can hope the following about the movie:
1.) Some of the characters involved will end up in more things. Especially Hound. I've always wanted Hound to be in more things.
2.) There will be a full set of five Dinobots in Cyberverse on up to collect and not just Grimlock.
3.) I won't have to actually watch it until the end of the year when I visit my parents for the Holidays and we need something to watch that won't confuse, offend, or bore them.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Rita Repulsa posted:

2.) There will be a full set of five Dinobots in Cyberverse on up to collect and not just Grimlock.

I had the same hope but it looks like there are only four, and one of them is probably a raptor considering his name is Slash. Still, more Dinobots is good news, any way you slice it.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I really like Hound a lot and it'll be cool to see him show up in more stuff I guess. While I love the crap outta Binaltech Hound, I could definitely go for an MP Hound.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Keldroc posted:

It's not about cost, it's about star power. Bay doesn't want to make a robot cartoon, he wants to make a movie with real known actors who can promote the film and look hot on the poster.

The Mark Wahlberg casting is sort of an interesting turn, though, because he seems like a legitimately more 'known' action lead, or a lead in general, compared to the one-two punch of Shia and Megan Fox.

The Tranformers movies human casting feels more like a series of 'that guy' extended cameos, though, that I feel just the actors playing the parts make more memorable than the characters themselves.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
Well, Shia was because of Spielberg having him get a leading role in everything he was involved in at the time. I hope things work out for a 5th, though, so we can get The Rock to star. It'll be bad, but atleast the worse a movie is, the more charm he seems to add to it.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Yes. If The Rock shows up in a Transformers movie, I will be less inclined to groan at it. Especially if he shows up as Roadblock. His presence in the Even Faster And Expoentionally More Furious movies made me almost see them. Almost. But I can't talk more about why I never went to see one after the first without being tasteless In Light Of Recent Events.

I watched Southland Tales for him, dammit.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

We're well overdue for a G.I. Joe vs. the Transformers movie. If they're going to make Transformers movies, and G.I. Joe movies, this is something that NEEDS to happen or else that's a loving tragedy.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Gammatron 64 posted:

We're well overdue for a G.I. Joe vs. the Transformers movie. If they're going to make Transformers movies, and G.I. Joe movies, this is something that NEEDS to happen or else that's a loving tragedy.

Given the trouble in getting anyone interested in gijoe these days and how much american millitary involvement the tf movies already have, it's bizarre that they haven't tried.

Keldroc posted:

I had the same hope but it looks like there are only four, and one of them is probably a raptor considering his name is Slash. Still, more Dinobots is good news, any way you slice it.

not to mention at least one's beast mode has two heads.

Whatever, though. Any dinobots are fine. And there will probably be several made up for the toyline anyway.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I remember reading once that the original transformers script was all about the bots, and Bay hated it, so the rewrites just added more and more G.I. Joe-type stuff until he dug it. Something like that, anyway.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Rita Repulsa posted:

Given the trouble in getting anyone interested in gijoe these days and how much american millitary involvement the tf movies already have, it's bizarre that they haven't tried.

Probably because G.I. Joe is wildly unpopular these days because... reasons. The main one being that it's not the Reagan era anymore and the Cold War is over. But surely they should be able to market G.I. Joe to the Call of Duty crowd. I'm kind of amazed they didn't, and that's probably why they failed.

I have always said that Michael Bay is a horrible, horrible choice for a director for a Transformers movie, but he is the absolute PERFECT man for G.I. Joe. You know, maybe G.I. Joe would still be a thing if they let Michael Bay direct and let him make it as AMERICA gently caress YEAH as it was in the 80s. All the jingoism and military worship that is woefully out of place in Transformers would be right at home in a Joe movie.

The 80s G.I. Joe cartoon is an awesome parody, was Team America World Police before there was Team America World Police, and is basically how people like George W. Bush and Michael Bay see the world.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Steve Vader posted:

Yes. If The Rock shows up in a Transformers movie, I will be less inclined to groan at it. Especially if he shows up as Roadblock. His presence in the Even Faster And Expoentionally More Furious movies made me almost see them. Almost. But I can't talk more about why I never went to see one after the first without being tasteless In Light Of Recent Events.

I watched Southland Tales for him, dammit.

You should really watch Fast Five. It's the movie where they switched from being a cash-in on the street racing culture fad and turned the series into a heist picture, and it really works. Seriously, it's a legitimately great action flick that doesn't even feel like it belongs in the same franchise with the first few.

Rita Repulsa posted:

I'm sure I've said it before, but N.E.S.T. should have been G.I. Joe, and they should have spun the G.I. Joe films off of the Bay Transformers universe and done Joe vs. TFs instead of TF4. If Avengers had happened earlier, I'm sure that's what they would have done, and I guarantee that project is being discussed in meetings currently.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I mean gently caress guys, you could have called Josh Duhamel "Flint" and Tyrese Gibson "Roadblock" for gently caress's sake. The fact that there is no film Transformers\Joe crossover is baffling.

I understand that in the Joe movie, they tried to distance themselves from the military and AMERICA gently caress YEAH themes and went more sci-fi so they could go after the international audience, but that backfired spectacularly and now G.I. Joe is pretty much dead.

I think there must be some alternate universe where Michael Bay did G.I. Joe instead, and there G.I. Joe is the big thing and somebody like Robert Zemeckis did a Transformers movie that's more "a boy and his car" and was a much better movie and was more like Transformers, but didn't do as well in the box office and is pretty much forgotten.

EDIT: Although it's probably for the best that Tyrese Gibson wasn't Roadblock, because then we would never get The Rock as Roadblock and gently caress man, it's THE loving ROCK, CAN YOU SMELL WHAT THE ROADBLOCK IS COOKING?

I never saw G.I. Joe 2, but I hope there's a scene where Rockblock is cooking some cajun cuisine like he often did and makes that joke. G.I. Joe 2 is a movie that looks awesome in trailers, but everyone tells me it sucked, so I think I will simply never see it, because the actual movie will never live up to my imagination.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 3, 2013

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Well, it didn't help that the GI Joe movies were pretty bad. I enjoyed the first one because no matter how stupid it was in ruining the Baroness and all, it was just breakneck-paced NONSTOP INSANITY. Then the second one killed everybody except the Rock and his crew, and although it actually did right by Cobra Commander this time, it was still pretty stupid - although that mountainside ninja fight was pretty fantastic.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Gammatron 64 posted:

Probably because G.I. Joe is wildly unpopular these days because... reasons.

Which is exactly why they should have used the second or third transformers movie to introduce them
Use something everyone's going to watch as a promotion for the next thing they want to market. As keldroc said there's a giant gijoe shaped space in the movie they could fit and as you say bay could do a lot with them.

Instead they just give a property no one's cared about years and that does not have the crazy spectacle of transforming robots its own movie and hope it works. Really, they were hoping to recapture their lightening in a bottle instead of using their current position to their advantage, something the hasbro suits keep doing.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Rita Repulsa posted:

Which is exactly why they should have used the second or third transformers movie to introduce them
Use something everyone's going to watch as a promotion for the next thing they want to market. As keldroc said there's a giant gijoe shaped space in the movie they could fit and as you say bay could do a lot with them.

No, they're not going to do that, because it actually makes sense and is a good idea. Not to mention it's a super obvious no-brainer as these things go together like peanut butter and jelly.

Of course, look how long it took for us to get Alien vs. Predator, and we know how well that turned out. Of course, with G.I. Joe vs. Transformers, the standard quality is already pretty low, so it's not like it can get any worse.

Freddy vs. Jason was kind of awesome, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Captain Magic posted:

I remember reading once that the original transformers script was all about the bots, and Bay hated it, so the rewrites just added more and more G.I. Joe-type stuff until he dug it. Something like that, anyway.

This would never have been the case because every second a Transformer is on screen is a fuckload of money, effort, and time for a CGI effect to expose it's flaws. That's why the first movie is so human heavy (and they built a physical Bumblebee to help alleviate it too).