Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

The source is Bleeding Cool though.

It does makes sense though since it's cheaper and quicker turnaround then trying to get multiple film projects out to compete with Marvel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Rumors for a Young Justice Live Action series being developed for the CW

:psyduck: If this is true DC/Warner are going loving insane with the TV series

It sort of makes sense as they are hosed when it comes to competing with Marvel, but they already have a TV foothold.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 2, 2013

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I wonder if they're gonna Bat-embargo this like with the cartoons and keep Robin out of it because of the (rumored) plans to have Nightwing in Batman Vs. Superman

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Dacap posted:

I wonder if they're gonna Bat-embargo this like with the cartoons and keep Robin out of it because of the (rumored) plans to have Nightwing in Batman Vs. Superman

Asumming that the rumor's reliable, is most than likely since the leader on the cartoon was Nightwing.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 2, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dacap posted:

They could also spin it off Arrow and have Arsenal take the Robin role.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
So you cancel the Young Justice cartoon because of "reasons" and then decide that a logistically more difficult live action version would be better for other "reasons". WB have no idea what to do with DC franchises and barring some unexpected home runs, I highly doubt DC as we know it will exist within the next 20 years.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Anyone know the corporate relationship between DC and CW? DC is under the WB film division, and I assume the film and TV would be separate.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

StumblyWumbly posted:

Anyone know the corporate relationship between DC and CW? DC is under the WB film division, and I assume the film and TV would be separate.

DC Entertainment is under Warner Bros. in general. Hence DC Films, TV shows, and video games all having WB logos.

CW is part owned by Warner Bros.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

ToastyPotato posted:

So you cancel the Young Justice cartoon because of "reasons" and then decide that a logistically more difficult live action version would be better for other "reasons". WB have no idea what to do with DC franchises and barring some unexpected home runs, I highly doubt DC as we know it will exist within the next 20 years.

Honestly, I'm not sure either Marvel or DC or, indeed, the entire comics industry as we know it will exist in 20 years. I rather expect to see a mass die off of comic shops and the extinction of dead tree pamphlets with 22 pages of content for $4. It wouldn't surprise me to see both DC and Marvel only publishing online and that just enough to maintain copyright over names and concepts.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

jng2058 posted:

Honestly, I'm not sure either Marvel or DC or, indeed, the entire comics industry as we know it will exist in 20 years. I rather expect to see a mass die off of comic shops and the extinction of dead tree pamphlets with 22 pages of content for $4. It wouldn't surprise me to see both DC and Marvel only publishing online and that just enough to maintain copyright over names and concepts.

Comics aren't even sold outside of dedicated shops in most of the world now, whereas 15 years ago I could pick up a Marvel comic in any convenience store. Print is loving dead any moment now and the sooner the Big Two realize that and capitalize on a digital revenue model and reorganize the way they view that market, the better off the industry will be. The fact that variant covers as a marketing strategy is a thing that exists in 2013 is nuts to me.

Digital comics are great and all, but they need to take it a step further and come to terms with the idea that the only people who buy 5-10 single issue comics every week for $3/4 a pop are insane nerds. Something cheap and easily accessible like Marvel Unlimited, but with actual new stuff on it, should be the norm.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 2, 2013

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

:getin:

I wouldn't be surprised if part of the "reasons" they're deciding to do a live action take on this is to capture the will-be-teens demographic that were kids/the main demographic of the Young Justice cartoon when it was airing.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

Comics aren't even sold outside of dedicated shops in most of the world now, whereas 15 years ago I could pick up a Marvel comic in any convenience store. Print is loving dead any moment now and the sooner the Big Two realize that and capitalize on a digital revenue model and reorganize the way they view that market, the better off the industry will be. The fact that variant covers as a marketing strategy is a thing that exists in 2013 is nuts to me.

Digital comics are great and all, but they need to take it a step further and come to terms with the idea that the only people who buy 5-10 single issue comics every week for $3/4 a pop are insane nerds. Something cheap and easily accessible like Marvel Unlimited, but with actual new stuff on it, should be the norm.

I was more speaking to the existence of DC and Marvel as "brands" or distinct entities, as opposed to being publishing companies. With the way WB is handling DC, I can see DC basically completely dying as a brand entirely, with maybe only Batman and Superman surviving the fall out (and WB selling off lesser characters, while squatting on the rights of others like Wonder Woman or perhaps, Green Arrow, given the relative success of his show.)

As for actual comics. I think monthly issues are going to die sooner than later. It's a model that no one seems interested in anymore outside of dedicated fans who unfortunately only number in the thousands. Not exactly worth it for such big corporations. I can see a shift toward releasing bigger books once or twice a year instead, perhaps only breaking them down into monthly installments online, but even then, those would probably not be written as traditional "issues" the way we currently think of single issues. It would be more like releasing a novel one chapter at a time, instead of having a proper monthly book. This also means that there might even be gaps between stories where no book was released while creative teams worked on other projects.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

ToastyPotato posted:

WB have no idea what to do with DC franchises and barring some unexpected home runs, I highly doubt DC as we know it will exist within the next 20 years.
Are you saying Warner Brothers could ruin a world-famous franchise? How would they do that?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Are you saying Warner Brothers could ruin a world-famous franchise? How would they do that?

Space Jam is awesome and I will not hear anyone badmouthing that classic film.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Space Jam was fine and the current Looney Tunes show has been the best use of the characters probably since Space Jam. Loonatics Unleashed was the only real complete and utter failure that should never have left the drawing board.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah don't loving talk poo poo about Space Jam.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Never forget
http://www2.warnerbros.com/spacejam/movie/jam.htm

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

Space Jam is awesome and I will not hear anyone badmouthing that classic film.

It's not exactly Duck Amuck or Rabbit Season is all I'm saying. It was a fine movie, but it doesn't really hold up against the classic shorts. There are certainly worse Looney Tunes bits (the DePatie-Freleng Shorts, for example) but they're a bit harder to explain to people who haven't experienced them.

ToastyPotato posted:

Space Jam was fine and the current Looney Tunes show has been the best use of the characters probably since Space Jam. Loonatics Unleashed was the only real complete and utter failure that should never have left the drawing board.

"... the best use of the characters probably since Space Jam." isn't a high bar to clear. Or hoop, whichever. (Actually, I heard Back In Action was alright, but I haven't seen it.)

Endless Mike posted:

Too late.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's not exactly Duck Amuck or Rabbit Season is all I'm saying. It was a fine movie, but it doesn't really hold up against the classic shorts. There are certainly worse Looney Tunes bits (the DePatie-Freleng Shorts, for example) but they're a bit harder to explain to people who haven't experienced them.

"... the best use of the characters probably since Space Jam." isn't a high bar to clear. Or hoop, whichever. (Actually, I heard Back In Action was alright, but I haven't seen it.)

Too late.

Well Space Jam was the best use of the characters since the 40's/possibly 50's. It was better than the later shorts by miles. The current Looney Tunes show is genuinely better than the later shorts as well. Back in Action was ok. It has its moments. Kind of like the Duck Dodgers show from a few years ago.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Angry Walrus posted:

:getin:

I wouldn't be surprised if part of the "reasons" they're deciding to do a live action take on this is to capture the will-be-teens demographic that were kids/the main demographic of the Young Justice cartoon when it was airing.

"The Young Justice cartoon when it was airing"? You mean like, March?

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
The live action show will air 2015 at the soonest(provided it's real), time enough for the older kids to become teens. That's what I meant by "when it was airing."

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The kids that apparently were not watching the cartoon or at least not buying the toys? Those are the kids they are going to spend millions on trying to court with the new show?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

ToastyPotato posted:

Well Space Jam was the best use of the characters since the 40's/possibly 50's. It was better than the later shorts by miles. The current Looney Tunes show is genuinely better than the later shorts as well.

Really I guess what sticks in my craw is just having to tie the characters to gimmickry, as if to say "Geez, nobody wants to watch the Looney Tunes anymore, what if we added..." If I have an essential point to get back to, it's the constant fiddling.

Of course, to beat the final Looney Tunes shorts you essentially just require a gag, they were... it was like aliens had tried to reconstruct Looney Tunes cartoons despite having no idea what a joke was.

... so, Young Justice!

The Young Justice bit just feels very calculated to me, like they realized their cartoon wasn't selling toys, so... they create a show more marketable to teens and adults! But I don't see how they can make it work as a live action show, particularly with Superboy and Miss Martian, double particularly on the budget DC shows seem to get.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

ToastyPotato posted:

The kids that apparently were not watching the cartoon or at least not buying the toys? Those are the kids they are going to spend millions on trying to court with the new show?
They gave it such a stupid timeslot, that show, Green Lantern TAS, and Symbiotic Titan seemed like they would have done much better if they were on at like 7-8 on a Monday. Then again Cartoon Network also decided to gently caress over Samurai Jack and Justice League Unlimited so not surprising.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The Young Justice bit just feels very calculated to me, like they realized their cartoon wasn't selling toys, so... they create a show more marketable to teens and adults! But I don't see how they can make it work as a live action show, particularly with Superboy and Miss Martian, double particularly on the budget DC shows seem to get.
And really wasn't Young Justice doing better with the teen demo even with its Saturday Morning timeslot? Though it could have been CN being stubborn and going, "drat it this show is meant for kids and they aren't buying our lovely toys!!!"

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
That reminds me that the studio behind the YJ videogame has said that if the game sells, they're willing to make another one set on what would've been the third season of the show. Problem is, the game loving sucks.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CN absolutely screwed YJ over. As well as JLU and GL. And you know who runs/owns CN? Same people who own DC. Warner Bros. has no idea what to do with any of the things it owns. Looney Tunes, DC, they are just completely in over their heads.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
They didn't move merch, you gotta move merch even if they didn't have it out in time.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

At least Green Lantern ended well. Sucked that it got cancelled and I liked the show (kept watching to the end when I dropped Young Justice as soon as they announced the cancellation) but thankfully it didn't end on some big cliffhanger.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That reminds me that the studio behind the YJ videogame has said that if the game sells, they're willing to make another one set on what would've been the third season of the show. Problem is, the game loving sucks.

The game actually came out? Wow, I thought that would never happen. Too bad, I used to think my favorite part of YJ was that the two seasons were supposed to be bridged by a game that never happened.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

achillesforever6 posted:

They gave it such a stupid timeslot, that show, Green Lantern TAS, and Symbiotic Titan seemed like they would have done much better if they were on at like 7-8 on a Monday. Then again Cartoon Network also decided to gently caress over Samurai Jack and Justice League Unlimited so not surprising.

I maintain that Sym-Bionic Titan deserved to fail for having a combining robot that was impossible to make a toy out of.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Cast Lacey Chabert as Zatanna again, and all is well with us again DC TV.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

TwoPair posted:

The game actually came out? Wow, I thought that would never happen. Too bad, I used to think my favorite part of YJ was that the two seasons were supposed to be bridged by a game that never happened.

Yeah, I was shocked when it dropped on Steam out of nowhere, but it looks pretty terrible, sadly. :(

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

What a wonderful world we live in now, where a superhero tie-in game being terrible is disappointing instead of something we all take as a given.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

ToastyPotato posted:

If I remember correctly, the ratings were actually decently high, it's just that no one bought the toys that they did a terrible job of marketing and the prevailing "wisdom" of cartoon business is that if it isn't selling toys then it's not worth producing even if it has high ratings. I don't think I ever saw an ad for YJ stuff on TV.

However, WB does a better job of marketing its live action shows like Arrow than it does marketing the toys, so I have decent hopes this won't get screwed over by shody marketing.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ToastyPotato posted:

CN absolutely screwed YJ over. As well as JLU and GL. And you know who runs/owns CN? Same people who own DC. Warner Bros. has no idea what to do with any of the things it owns. Looney Tunes, DC, they are just completely in over their heads.

Well, CN has pretty traditionally had problems scheduling/airing action cartoons really. Most of their shows, both licensed and original, tend to be comedies, which is why they usually try to lump any action cartoons they have together (when they have action cartoons to even air) in some sort of block to help them get more exposure than they would faring out in the wild plains in between reruns of Johnny Test (ughhhh).

Of course, this often leads to hilarious situations like the original CN action block, Toonami, where you had Batman and Superman playing at the same time as a bunch of anime.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

boom boom boom posted:

I maintain that Sym-Bionic Titan deserved to fail for having a combining robot that was impossible to make a toy out of.
It had an episode that was a better adaptation of Enders Game than the actual Enders Game movie. Plus that show got brutal and horrifying as gently caress at times.

I mean one episode looked like it was out of a Croenberg movie! :stonk:

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Angry Walrus posted:

If I remember correctly, the ratings were actually decently high, it's just that no one bought the toys that they did a terrible job of marketing and the prevailing "wisdom" of cartoon business is that if it isn't selling toys then it's not worth producing even if it has high ratings. I don't think I ever saw an ad for YJ stuff on TV.

It's not so much "Wisdom" as it is "accounting". Advertisers believe that kids are dumb enough and that there are enough cartoons on often enough that they should pay next to bubkiss for a spot even on the highest rated shows.

Primetime live action TV, even on the CW, can actually pay the bills.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 3, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Well, that explains why Beware the Batman was axed then.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

Primetime live action TV, even on the CW, can actually pay the bills.
Depends on the show. When NBC was in it's golden age of Friends, Seinfeld, and Fraiser dominating television, they were virtually producing those shows at a loss. They made it back with syndication and those shows were successes, but an original airings didn't provide much in terms of profit because the success of the shows meant bigger paycheck for the stars of those shows. A more recent example is that while Mad Men and Breaking Bad have both critical acclaim and good fan-bases, there has been consistent battles between the network and creative about costs with Mad Men forced to push out characters and Breaking Bad being forced to compromise for a split fifth season because AMC originally wanted a shorter eight episode fifth season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Yeah, I mean, outside of the Simpsons, have voice actors ever successfully fought for increased rates? I imagine VA contracts are way cheaper than actor contracts. Also, does syndication even make that much money these days? It probably might, if international syndication is a thing I guess, but I would imagine ratings for your run of the mill daily reruns are dropped through the floor considering that primetime ratings for new episodes have all but collapsed in the past 10 years.