Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

stupid food analyzer: "its cool keep selling them"
service that gives you a genetic report: "WE MUST BURN EVERY SINGLE DEVICE"

i totally agree with the FDAs assessment on the 23andme thing i just also think they need to start treating crossshit/yoga/personal trainers as 'doctors' since they give people terrible medical advice as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

i totally agree with the FDAs assessment on the 23andme thing i just also think they need to start treating crossshit/yoga/personal trainers as 'doctors' since they give people terrible medical advice as well

gently caress that; they should go after the homeopaths first. and that guy in texas who claims he cures cancer

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

prefect posted:

gently caress that; they should go after the homeopaths first. and that guy in texas who claims he cures cancer

that too

just all of them really

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

how the gently caress do you agree

pretty sure 23andme has a ton of disclaimers saying "this is just our tests dont go chopping off parts of your body without consulting a doctor"

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

how the gently caress do you agree

pretty sure 23andme has a ton of disclaimers saying "this is just our tests dont go chopping off parts of your body without consulting a doctor"

because we barely understand anything about interpreting genetic markers and they were offering interpretations of your genetic markers even though it's almost a pseudoscience

people were making medical decisions because of it. even if it's covered in warnings that doesnt stop people from using it as medical advice. sure you cant go get a masectomy without talking to a doctor but you might decide to go off your blood pressure meds or something

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
yeah warnings rarely are met with much regard, even when they are bold and beautiful. in fact, perhaps in spite of that fact. see: smoking, asbesto insulation, and the 'times may change' tag on sports tickets

i like that 23&me is a cool thing to see your genetics printed out but its so early in its infancy that its really hard to justify using it to 'predict' things in any regard.

that said, burn all chiropractors

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

because we barely understand anything about interpreting genetic markers and they were offering interpretations of your genetic markers even though it's almost a pseudoscience

people were making medical decisions because of it. even if it's covered in warnings that doesnt stop people from using it as medical advice. sure you cant go get a masectomy without talking to a doctor but you might decide to go off your blood pressure meds or something

its giving medical advice in the same way that adverts for anything close to medicine is giving medical advice.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yeah it's kind of indefensible to be going after 23andme when chiropractors exist but there are probably political reasons or something

maybe if they set some precedent with 23andme they can start going after the real quacks

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

hubris.height posted:

that said, burn all chiropractors

i went to a chiropractor a few times after i hurt my back and she was gorgeous, so gently caress you :mad:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

its giving medical advice in the same way that adverts for anything close to medicine is giving medical advice.

the adverts should be illegal too (guess which group has more lobbyists

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

prefect posted:

i went to a chiropractor a few times after i hurt my back and she was gorgeous, so gently caress you :mad:

counterpoint: there are a lot of attractive people with dumb occupations, opinions, and life decisions

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
more alice must be grimdark and in every form of media bullshit

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1036370092/bicycle-grungeland-playing-cards-alice-in-wondelan?ref=recently_launched

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

e: paging call now, i found a place for you to spend your homestuck money

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

hubris.height posted:

counterpoint: there are a lot of attractive people with dumb occupations, opinions, and life decisions

i let my penis make most of my important medical decisions

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

hubris.height posted:

e: paging call now, i found a place for you to spend your homestuck money

nothing says goth like a suit and bow tie

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
250$ and you can send them a picture of yourself to be included in their "comedic web comic". he's more of an "ideas guy" so he can get you in

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Enter Char posted:

nothing says goth like a suit and bow tie

Underwear
May 13, 2006

looks like something written by a fifteen year old with a part time job at hot topic but like fifteen years ago

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

i assume the bicycle playing card company is totes on board with this right?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

WorkingPeer posted:

i assume the bicycle playing card company is totes on board with this right?

bicycle will print cards with anything you want on them: http://www.bicyclecards.com/custom ("Minimum purchase of 2500 decks.")

this sounds like somebody just wants you to cover the costs

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

theres tons of kickstarters for printing playing cards and basically all youre doing is giving someone who already has a design ready enough money so they can purchase the minimum decks needed and pocket the rest of the cash

its the least amount of effort possible

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

people were making medical decisions because of it.

i haven't read much on the subject, but is there any evidence that people were actually doing this? i know it's the fda's argument for regulation, but i thought it was a hypothetical.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Trig Discipline posted:

i haven't read much on the subject, but is there any evidence that people were actually doing this? i know it's the fda's argument for regulation, but i thought it was a hypothetical.

i think the letter said "because angelina jolina made a decision based on a test people might use your product to make the exact same decisions and give themselves mastectomies" or some poo poo

i would assume if it had actually happened they could cite "its actually happened so you need to stop" instead of a pretty huge stretch involving a celebrity using a different test

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Trig Discipline posted:

it's in their advertising
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXUc6LgQDY4

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

a real doctor told her what to do. this isnt someone making a decision without the guidance/lead of a healthcare provider at all.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
but yeah, i am curious about the same thing. it definitely seems like a thing people would do though.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

jesus. if you think you "might" have celiac disease but you need to test ur dna to be sure, just don't worry about it

if you really have celiac disease, you'll know it by your poops

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

a real doctor told her what to do. this isnt someone making a decision without the guidance/lead of a healthcare provider at all.

in this one the girl goes on about how doctors failed her and 23andme came along and gave her the diagnoses she needed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTIY310FGBU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Werthog 95 posted:

jesus. if you think you "might" have celiac disease but you need to test ur dna to be sure, just don't worry about it

if you really have celiac disease, you'll know it by your poops

...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Diarrhea

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
obviously 23andme is keeping their bases covered in the ads but if you really dont think someone is going to see "WHOA MARKERS FOR LOW BLOOD PRESSURE! TIME TO BURG FOR LIFE!" then you'er opinion of people is a lot higher than mine

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

we let people take tylenol with zero guidance, i dont think 23andme can possibly do more damage

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

we let people take tylenol with zero guidance, i dont think 23andme can possibly do more damage

yeah agreed

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
it blows my loving mind that cigarettes are still a thing

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i actually sent my kit in the day the fda cracked the whip, and the waifu has yet to send hers in. does anyone know whether they're still processing kits that are already sold? afaik, they're just forbidden from selling new ones

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Dr. Honked posted:

it blows my loving mind that cigarettes are still a thing

theres a lot of movement in alternative nicotine delivery systems that love to talk about how much better they are than cigarettes when nicotine is still pretty bad for your circulatory system afaik

snus, ecigs, etc

snus loving sucks, i tried it just to see and it made me incredibly dizzy

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

LastInLine posted:

the difference is one is an actual medical testing device and the other is at best a spectrophotometer which you happen to use on food

a more puzzling distinction would be ecigs which are drug delivery devices no matter how you slice it and are not fda regulated

i guess the difference that i and others are having trouble with is the idea that the fda isnt interested in regulating a magic lump of plastic you wave over your food that says BEEP BOOP WONT KILL YOU whether it might actually kill you or not

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

snus loving sucks, i tried it just to see and it made me incredibly dizzy

i tried it when i was in sweden, wow its gross

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

It was waaay too much nicotine, I don't see how people could want to do it let alone do it repeatedly while hanging out.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
i was amazed by the dudes who would use snus in between their smoke breaks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Al! posted:

i guess the difference that i and others are having trouble with is the idea that the fda isnt interested in regulating a magic lump of plastic you wave over your food that says BEEP BOOP WONT KILL YOU whether it might actually kill you or not
they dont regulate microwave ovens or silverware and both are more likely to affect the food you eat than the magic lump

• Locked thread