Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

When you mend the schism, what does that do to orders like the Hospitallers or Templars? Do you get them as an orthodox ruler along with the brotherhood of the holy sepulchre or will they just never spawn? I assume crusades will still spawn at some predetermined date even if the muslims are wrapped up entirely?
E: As the Byzantine emperor with the two starting duchies in my demesne plus the primary holding of rome, genoa and venezia, why is it that every once in a while I get warnings about titles being lost on inheritance to some third son/grandson? Giving them titles elsewhere sometimes solves it, but not always. I've been good and keeping within my demesne limit so I'm not sure why the game thinks it should have these people inherit anything but a kick in the rear end.

Hambilderberglar fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Digital Osmosis posted:

Weird question: are genetics in this game lemarkian? That is, will traits gained through gameplay be passed down, or just the traits you are born with?

Only the genetic traits (genius, quick, strong, attractive, and their opposites, plus dwarf, clubfoot, and syphilis) pass to your children, and even then at pretty low rates.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Drone posted:

If you have Old Gods, I'm pretty sure the various Norse in Britain in the 867 start (I know Sudreyar and Jorvik) are related and allies, and I'm pretty sure they're even tied in with Sjaelland and Ostlandet too.

They are, but they're all different dynasties, so the alliance only lasts a generation or two.

quote:

There's a smattering of dukes throughout the Byzantine Empire that are of the same dynasty.

Two families, in fact, at 1066: the Doukas and the Komnenos.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Hambilderberglar posted:

When you mend the schism, what does that do to orders like the Hospitallers or Templars? Do you get them as an orthodox ruler along with the brotherhood of the holy sepulchre or will they just never spawn? I assume crusades will still spawn at some predetermined date even if the muslims are wrapped up entirely?
E: As the Byzantine emperor with the two starting duchies in my demesne plus the primary holding of rome, genoa and venezia, why is it that every once in a while I get warnings about titles being lost on inheritance to some third son/grandson? Giving them titles elsewhere sometimes solves it, but not always. I've been good and keeping within my demesne limit so I'm not sure why the game thinks it should have these people inherit anything but a kick in the rear end.

You can normally ignore these warnings, because in most cases they are the game being confused and your holdings will pass to the right heir anyway. The only stumbling block as the (Eastern) Roman Emperor is the born-in-the-purple mechanic if you hold kingdoms, since these kingdoms ignore this mechanic when they are inherited.

Cease to Hope posted:

Two families, in fact, at 1066: the Doukas and the Komnenos.

In 1066, it feels as if every second vassal in the empire is a member of the Doukas family.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Are Crusades screwed up right now?

First Crusade - Hungary: I (Lothiringia) had the largest contribution. Hungry was handed off to a Arpad relative of the Tengri Arpad Emperor of Carpathia. Hungry remained a vassal of Pagan Carpathia. That didn't really work out.

Second Crusade - Andalusia: Again, victory led by me! Muslim power holds all of Andalusia. End of the war - one province changes hand.

Third Crudade - Jerusalem: Again, victory led by me! ~6 provinces change hands, not including Jerusalem. Kingdom handed off to younger brother. When I check back on him a few years later he has converted to Islam. For the next 70+ years I occasionally get requests from him to join his wars as we are close family. :stare:

Fourth Crusade - Jerusalem: I stay the gently caress home. Note comes in that the Pope has won a glorious victory. Scroll over to check it out. No land has changed hands, it's all still Muslim.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So far all the crusades I've seen in SoA have been for Jerusalem, and they've all failed except for one: the Serene Doge of Venice won the crusade and created a massive republic in Jerusalem. It was pretty cool, but didn't last long before it was reconquered.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
If there is any local Christian with a claim to the kingdom, it'll be granted to them instead of who contributed the most.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Also, in some cases the crusade might be won, the kingdom created and all land transferred to the new ruler, but the ruler is/remains vassalized under a non-christian emperor. Who can immediately try to take the titles if their CA is high enough.

Digital Osmosis posted:

The holy orders taking over half the map is my least favorite part of the new patch. I'm not experienced enough to know if it comes from the levy nerfs or not, but the number of times I've seen the Templars conquer The ERE before the year 900 is pretty silly.

I think it's the levy nerf and the more expensive mercenaries that lead to this, since (I think) landed mercs can raise their own troops at normal cost, effectively giving them a free mercenary army.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I swear the AI is out to specifically gently caress with me. First the whole "Emperor wants to revoke my poo poo" deal, now I had to go through 2 sons because they both turned into complete shitheels the moment they came of age, despite having okay traits while still being tutored.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Digital Osmosis posted:

Weird question: are genetics in this game lemarkian? That is, will traits gained through gameplay be passed down, or just the traits you are born with?

Not really. There are certain traits which are genetic: strong, weak, tall, dwarf, etc., but mostly children get traits from their teacher instead of their parents.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Digital Osmosis posted:

The holy orders taking over half the map is my least favorite part of the new patch. I'm not experienced enough to know if it comes from the levy nerfs or not, but the number of times I've seen the Templars conquer The ERE before the year 900 is pretty silly.

Any trait that is heart-shaped but not an injury/disease (i.e. dwarf, lisp, attractive, genius, etc) has a chance to get passed on. They're all pretty low chance to get passed on (15% for most, up to 25% at max).

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Piell posted:

Any trait that is heart-shaped but not an injury/disease (i.e. dwarf, lisp, attractive, genius, etc) has a chance to get passed on. They're all pretty low chance to get passed on (15% for most, up to 25% at max).

Solution to this is to marry someone lustful and gently caress your way to that perfect child.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
Is there any reason besides money to not just have all of your retainers be heavy cavalry? I am playing the HRE and it seems like, stats wise, there probably isn't a reason to have more than the pikemen/archers and heavy/light cavalry retainers. And I'm not exactly sure it even pays to have the pikemen. Is that right or is it best to have a varied type of army?

Edit: also my earlier question has, I think, spontaneously resolved itself. Although it does seem like, in terms of ruler lifspans, that the candle that burns dimmest burns longest. :smith:

My current king and his wife combined have lower stats than my previous king did while invalid(?) and maimed.

Torpor fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 2, 2013

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Torpor posted:

Is there any reason besides money to not just have all of your retainers be heavy cavalry? I am playing the HRE and it seems like, stats wise, there probably isn't a reason to have more than the pikemen/archers and heavy/light cavalry retainers. And I'm not exactly sure it even pays to have the pikemen. Is that right or is it best to have a varied type of army?

Heavy Cavalry and Horse Archers are better than any other troop type at everything. There is no reason to include anything else in your retinue if you have the option.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

Excelzior posted:

Heavy Cavalry and Horse Archers are better than any other troop type at everything. There is no reason to include anything else in your retinue if you have the option.

For me, the rationale is money, since even with a mixed army a sufficiently harsh defeat can just about instantly bankrupt my kingdom. Though, perhaps the defeat would not have happened if I had all HC.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Torpor posted:

Edit: also my earlier question has, I think, spontaneously resolved itself. Although it does seem like, in terms of ruler lifspans, that the candle that burns dimmest burns longest. :smith:

My current king and his wife combined have lower stats than my previous king did while invalid(?) and maimed.

Heavy infantry is superior to pikemen, except for cultural retinue pikemen. But you are right, the Knights retinue is very strong and you can hardly go wrong using them exclusively.

Generally your cultural retinue is nearly always the best kind of retinue. The exceptions are crappy light cavalry of light infantry retinues, in that case stick to the shock retinues (400 heavy infantry, 100 archers). Archer retinues can be great, you can often smash armies with very little losses... until one army manages to engage you in extended melee combat, in which case you will most likely suffer dramatic losses.

It also depends on your strategic position. If you are the biggest military power in Europe by far, you can diversify your retinue to include more archers, since they are very strong in sieges, while any kind of cavalry and heavy infantry are bad at sieges. So your main army would have the heavy troops to beat up the enemy, while the stack going around and sieging enemy holdings would have much more archers (and light infantry) to bring down the walls.

On that topic, it was nice to discover that my ruler designed Ashkenazi count of Thormond has no cultural retinues. So apart from losing the awesome horse archer retinues and horse archer building chains in steppe provinces if you convert out of the Khazarian culture, you get rewarded by having no cultural retinues at all. Nice, Paradox.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Ugh, I hate to harp on it but I am just plain not having fun playing the game in the state its in. I'm sick of stupid crusades to nowhere, holy order mega blobs, and faction bullshit. The Knights Templar shouldn't be taking over all of central Europe.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Is there a way to tell what retinue is your cultures? I'm playing around with them and i'm assuming its whatever is at the bottom of the list.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

dogstile posted:

Is there a way to tell what retinue is your cultures? I'm playing around with them and i'm assuming its whatever is at the bottom of the list.

Yup, always the bottom one. Full list here.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The Light/Archer retinues (Skirmisher?) aren't that bad very early on in the game when you're just a one or two province count, because when you're fighting 1k vs 1k, having an extra 500 dudes helps a ton, even if they are crappy. And they are almost a 1:1 ratio of soldier:cap, so you get more for your money. Once I get to the point of being able to have around 5k soldiers in my retinues, that's when I start making them the specialized cultural ones.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Excelzior posted:

Didn't they change this? I haven't kept up for a few patches but it feels like retinues benefit from having some variety, I definitely remember building nothing but cataphract retinues for the longest time and then seeing a marked drop in effectiveness of cataphract-only armies.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Hambilderberglar posted:

Didn't they change this? I haven't kept up for a few patches but it feels like retinues benefit from having some variety, I definitely remember building nothing but cataphract retinues for the longest time and then seeing a marked drop in effectiveness of cataphract-only armies.

I've never seen any patch notes changing this. Are you playing with any mods?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Ugh, I hate to harp on it but I am just plain not having fun playing the game in the state its in. I'm sick of stupid crusades to nowhere, holy order mega blobs, and faction bullshit. The Knights Templar shouldn't be taking over all of central Europe.

It's gotten a lot of flack around here lately, but I would still recommend CK2+, minor annoyances aside. I haven't really had any of those issues playing it, and Crusades/Jihads have been dynamic and interesting. There have been two crusades for Jerusalem in my current game, the second of which was successful and ended in a minor relative of the King of Ireland being given the title. The dude was mediocre at best, but then things got Metal (without my involvement, I might add): He immediately converted to Levantine culture, went lunatic, got Jesus Gives Military Advise, received every "Virtue" trait in the game (presumably from his pal the Jesus), and then singlehandedly exterminated the Fatimids. Oh, and then he forced all his vassals to convert to Waldensianism. The greatest threat to the Byzantine Empire is now an insane septuagenarian formerly Irish heresiarch with a personal line to God.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Dauntasa posted:

Not really. There are certain traits which are genetic: strong, weak, tall, dwarf, etc., but mostly children get traits from their teacher instead of their parents.

Yes and no. Children are educated by their father automatically for the first six years, so they'll inherit their father's stats to some degree. There can also be one education-style upbringing event that's controlled by the father, which pops up before the sixth year.

Arkanterian
Oct 1, 2013

Excelzior posted:

Does that include the Cultural Retinue's?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

Yes and no. Children are educated by their father automatically for the first six years, so they'll inherit their father's stats to some degree. There can also be one education-style upbringing event that's controlled by the father, which pops up before the sixth year.

That makes me wonder- who are under 6's educated by if they are orphans?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

As a moderate sized kingdom I've rapidly learned to keep at least a couple thousand gold on hand at all times. Treat that as the new 0. You need it to hire (and maintain) enough mercenaries to counteract the bullshit event troops that every revolting Duke gets. Sure! The Duke of Bumfuck Dale needs to get 12,000 event troops in addition to his own 5,000, giving him 4x what my King can raise! That makes sense.

I don't mind the challenge so much as it's the sense the AI is cheating and just magicing megastacks out of thin air. I'd rather see them quietly slipped a big chunk of cash so they can hire a merc army or something instead of just getting (whatever you have) x 3 troops for free.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

DheeradjS posted:

Does that include the Cultural Retinue's?

No, because you can't get Horse Archers or appreciable numbers of Heavy Cavalry without a cultural retinue. Basically, always take your cultural retinue unless it's Light Infantry or defensive Light Cavalry, like Hussars. If your cultural type is Pikemen or Heavy Infantry, consider taking a small percentage of Cavalry retinues as well so you can actually do some Pursue damage.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

fool_of_sound posted:

I've never seen any patch notes changing this. Are you playing with any mods?
Completely vanilla. I've been building my Byzantine retinues with a base of heavy infantry with some skirmish and pikeman retinues and cataphracts and it seems to do okay, though if I can do better by going cataphract only I'm obviously open to doing so :v:
I've also looked at my inheritance problems again, apparenly a non trivial portion of my demesne is going to go to the grandson of my dead oldest son. He is unlanded, not born in the purple, but married to a landed female ruler on Corsica.
Currently it breaks down like this:
My eldest (living) son will inherit the Roman empire, the duchy of constantinople and all of its counties.
My eldest (dead) son's grandson will inherit the duchy of adrianople and its two counties, plus the duchy of verona, county of verona, and padua.
There's also a landed son within the empire (doux of Cherson) that thinks he's inheriting the duchy of latium and county of rome
I can't see anything in the succession laws that would make it break down the way it's doing and while I don't mind losing a bunch of crap, the duchy of adrianople is not on the list of things I don't mind losing (nor for that matter are venice and genoa because those republics have a habit of seizing cities where I don't want them to have any)

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

magicing megastacks out of thin air

Who told you the title of my next rap album?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Hambilderberglar posted:

Completely vanilla. I've been building my Byzantine retinues with a base of heavy infantry with some skirmish and pikeman retinues and cataphracts and it seems to do okay, though if I can do better by going cataphract only I'm obviously open to doing so :v:

Do so.

BTW, one common reasons retinues will get murdered in the new patch is because they don't have generals by default, and that matters more now. Get some generals in there, on each flank. Even if they suck, they're better than nothing (unless they are Craven, Slow, or Imbeciles).

marktheando posted:

Good question! I have no idea.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

DStecks posted:

Who told you the title of my next rap album?

Is this the follow up to "straight outta Atzlan"?

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
What is the calculation for how much a cultural retinue takes up? I can't seem to work out the logic to it.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Antinumeric posted:

What is the calculation for how much a cultural retinue takes up? I can't seem to work out the logic to it.

In retinue points?

1 for light infantry/archers
2 for almost everything(heavy inf/pikemen/light cav/horse archers)
4 for heavy cavalry

1,2 and 4 points per man, so 500 archers are 500 points (500 * 1), cataphracts are 1600 (1200 for 300 heavy cavalry and 400 for 200 horse archers) etc

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Cease to Hope posted:

BTW, one common reasons retinues will get murdered in the new patch is because they don't have generals by default, and that matters more now.

This has been the case since 1.08.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

grancheater posted:

This has been the case since 1.08.

The penalty for fighting without a flank leader was increased in 2.0.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The Knights Templar took over France for some reason and I can't dislodge them. The other problems I have are the lack of options to attempt to influence other people's decisions and the inability to just declare war for a different faction's entire country without some convoluted strategy involving vassels. I don't just mean for in Europe, but I think you should be able to declare a holy war on the dirty heathens for their entire country. Why go through all the trouble of declaring war, but only for like 3 provinces? That doesn't exactly bring to mind the wrath of God.

Some of the things that happen in this game are incredibly hilarious; namely the fact that my entire empire is a gigantic inbred mess. I really wish they had more penalties explicitly for that.

Also some of the negative attributes your character can have are not exactly as debilitating as they should be. My prior king was a "lunatic" but was immensely successful and his name ends with "...the wise". I mean, he was caught howling at the moon, for christ's sake, that should have some serious consequences!

On the whole, I am thoroughly enjoying this game, though. My favorite moment was when I formed a faction and when given the prompt to send a letter to the Emperor, I did. Only problem was I had no support and I didn't know war would result. I immediately sued for peace and my Prince was imprisoned and my capital stolen. I wish there was an in game equivalent of puppy dog eyes to perhaps save yourself from righteous wrath. :frogbon:

Torpor fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 3, 2013

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

marktheando posted:

The streets.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK
Are there any Paradox games that are more similar to Darkest Hour/ Hearts of Iron? With the production of weapons and tech tree?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

marktheando posted:

Usually whoever's court they're in decides.

• Locked thread