Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fromagex
Oct 11, 2006

Tenterhooks posted:

Last night in the UK, Beverly Hills Cop 3 and Jaws 3(D) were both on TV. It struck me that both were the 3rd in a trilogy* where the gimmick was to move the action to an amusement park. I struggled to think of one more film to complete a (not very good) triple bill. Any suggestions?

Criteria:

1. Must be the 3rd and final film in a series.
2. Must be set in an amusement park of some description (preferably with a chaos-in-paradise plot).
3. Previous films must not have been set in an amusement park (so Jurassic Park is out).

* I conveniently forgot that Jaws: The Revenge existed until writing this post which ruins 1 right away. This opens the doors to Final Destination 3 and Child's Play 3 (kinda, for the final showdown). Still interested to hear if there are any more out there as I find it to be a fun we're-out-of-ideas trope.

EDIT: I should read the whole post. Nevermind.

fromagex fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Tenterhooks posted:

Last night in the UK, Beverly Hills Cop 3 and Jaws 3(D) were both on TV. It struck me that both were the 3rd in a trilogy* where the gimmick was to move the action to an amusement park. I struggled to think of one more film to complete a (not very good) triple bill. Any suggestions?

Criteria:

1. Must be the 3rd and final film in a series.
2. Must be set in an amusement park of some description (preferably with a chaos-in-paradise plot).
3. Previous films must not have been set in an amusement park (so Jurassic Park is out).

* I conveniently forgot that Jaws: The Revenge existed until writing this post which ruins 1 right away. This opens the doors to Final Destination 3 and Child's Play 3 (kinda, for the final showdown). Still interested to hear if there are any more out there as I find it to be a fun we're-out-of-ideas trope.

drat, Revenge of the Creature does this in the second film. Just missed it.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
nm

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

In Django Unchained, why does the one Brittle brother have what appears to be bible pages stuck to his shirt? Was that a thing they did back in the day?

He was really violently religious, so he went crazy with it and stitched the pages into his clothing, including over his heart.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
In the 50th Anniversary episode of Doctor Who, a (British) character mentions that they can't reveal to their American allies that they have the ability to travel time. Paraphrased, she says "Americans with the ability to change time? You've seen their movies."

Being American, I know that a lot of our movies involving time travel tend to warn about changing time, or have time-changing be a major threat. What to British films, stereotypically, do differently with time travel?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's more a reference to the way our historical movies alter history.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

MisterBibs posted:

In the 50th Anniversary episode of Doctor Who, a (British) character mentions that they can't reveal to their American allies that they have the ability to travel time. Paraphrased, she says "Americans with the ability to change time? You've seen their movies."

Being American, I know that a lot of our movies involving time travel tend to warn about changing time, or have time-changing be a major threat. What to British films, stereotypically, do differently with time travel?

My God, you misunderstood a joke in some crappy kids TV show.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

MisterBibs posted:

It's not a time travel joke. It's a joke about American exceptionalism and the perception (whether warranted or not, it's irrelevant except that it's how Americans are perceived) that Americans are convinced of their own superiority and inherent righteousness and, with time travel ability, would seek to alter any "problems" in history that result it history not conforming to how history *should* have been.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
British people just go back and fix their own lives and make everything perfect and then make Rachel McAdams fall in love with them without thinking of how really loving creepy that actually is.

(seriously, gently caress About Time)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yoshifan823 posted:

British people just go back and fix their own lives and make everything perfect and then make Rachel McAdams fall in love with them without thinking of how really loving creepy that actually is.

(seriously, gently caress About Time)

Also, they try desperately to not think about paradoxes or the full application of their powers even for their own lives and become content to die of illness they could prevent themselves from ever having or enter a lethal state.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Ok, stupid question. I love apocalypse now but I don't understand what was going on with Kurtz's cult. What exactly was his MO and theirs as a group? It didn't seem as simple as a defection to the other side.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Mescal posted:

Ok, stupid question. I love apocalypse now but I don't understand what was going on with Kurtz's cult. What exactly was his MO and theirs as a group? It didn't seem as simple as a defection to the other side.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_of_personality

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Mescal posted:

"gently caress both sides, we quit. Now leave us alone. If you don't, we'll kill you."

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

regulargonzalez posted:

"gently caress both sides, we quit. Now leave us alone. If you don't, we'll kill you."

Hey, thanks. I watched the theatrical and extended cuts and I still didn't know if they were violent abstainers or, like, isolated partisans. Such a good movie

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Why is Duncan Jones directing a World of Warcraft movie?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

WYA posted:

Lost a bet, I assume.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

WYA posted:

Dude likes making movies about isolated loners dependent on computer technology to make their lives whole... seems like a perfect fit.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

WYA posted:

Gotta make a dollar.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

WYA posted:

So he can cast his dad as the goblin king.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Mescal posted:

They were still fighting the VC, just in in a dirty way.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

effectual posted:

They were still fighting the VC, just in in a dirty way.

They were? How?

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster
Could someone recommend some movies that deal (seriously) with the friend zone? All I can think of offhand is High Tension. I'm trying to compile a therapeutic mix-tape of sorts for a friend who is going through a rough time.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
My immediate reaction to this is that that no film depiction of the friend zone is realistic or healthy. There may be some films that I'm not aware do a good job, but I doubt you'll find more than one or two. Without additional details about your friends "rough time" I am going to assume that they have been "friend-zoned" by someone they are attracted to, and I can safely say I never seen a film that will make your friend feel better WITHOUT just taking their mind off of it.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
(500) Days of Summer is not a movie about the friend zone, but it is a wonderful movie about the unhealthy line of thinking that leads people to think the "friend zone" legitimately exists and isn't just a handy phrase to use that outs you as someone who does not understand human relationships. Joseph Gordon-Levitt in that movie is equipped with all the misconceptions and faults that makes people unironically use the term "friend zone" and the entire movie is from his perspective so you really get a good examination of the phenomenon that is the modern man who believes in the friend zone.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Other options:

Rick in Casablanca friendzones himself pretty hard. Marty friendzones his mom in Back to the Future. James Bond friendzones Moneypenny in most of the Bond films.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Marty friendzoning his mom is kind of a grey area, because there is definitely sexual tension coming from both parties. His disinterest is mostly technical.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Other options:

Rick in Casablanca friendzones himself pretty hard. Marty friendzones his mom in Back to the Future. James Bond friendzones Moneypenny in most of the Bond films.

King Kong and Fay Wray.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Narciss posted:

Could someone recommend some movies that deal (seriously) with the friend zone? All I can think of offhand is High Tension. I'm trying to compile a therapeutic mix-tape of sorts for a friend who is going through a rough time.

Ocean's Thirteen is my go-to "get mind off of romantic poo poo" movie, because the only love story is Matt Damon putting on a loving egregious fake mole to woo Ellen Barkin, and it's awesome.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
When Harry Met Sally is kinda about the friend zone, but it might depress them or give them false hope.

aslan
Mar 27, 2012
My Best Friend's Wedding is just about the only movie I can think of that's fairly explicitly about the friend zone concept that doesn't end up with the obstacle being overcome and the two leads getting together in the end (which I'm guessing isn't the theme you're going for). But I don't think that--or any other friend zone-y movies--are going to make your friend feel that much better.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Forrest Gump again ends with the two friends getting together but not before a whole lotta miserable rejection and one-sidedness.

EDIT: There's also the Seinfeld episode 'The Deal' where Jerry and Elaine address friend zone stuff. Not great in that they enter a brief relationship (that fizzles out) but, I dunno, it might cheer your friend up.

Tenterhooks fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Dec 3, 2013

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Mescal posted:

They were? How?

Kurtz's defectors and the Montagnard natives were waging a guerilla terror war against the VC in order to scare them into submission. Considering that his inspiration was the VC making a pile out of the severed arms of children, he was using methods that were at least as horrific in order to beat them at their own strategy. Kurtz believed that "sheer moral terror" and the will to inflict it was the only possible way to win, compared with the hypocritical and confused way the US military was fighting.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
What are some movies that have a good coming of age story, in your late twenties.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

WYA posted:

What are some movies that have a good coming of age story, in your late twenties.

Drawing a blank on movies right now, but the theme of people having trouble "becoming adults" in their late twenties is an increasingly popular theme in television right now.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

WYA posted:

Garden State?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Snak posted:

Drawing a blank on movies right now, but the theme of people having trouble "becoming adults" in their late twenties is an increasingly popular theme in television right now.

I feel like "coming of age" is kind of a misnomer in these cases, those films will necessarily be more about dealing with stunted development.

On that note, here are a few good movies about adults struggling with 'growing up' off the top of my head:
Young Adult
Sideways
Punch Drunk Love

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

WYA posted:

Knocked Up is a really good one.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Would Frances Ha fall into that category? I haven't seen it but from what I've heard it certainly sounds like it. Also I heard it's very good. And I also heard it's on Netflix.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Fayez Butts posted:

Would Frances Ha fall into that category? I haven't seen it but from what I've heard it certainly sounds like it. Also I heard it's very good. And I also heard it's on Netflix.

I saw that I really liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Frances Ha would fit pretty well, I think. It's a more subtle coming-of-age (unlike, say, Stand By Me or To Kill a Mockingbird), but it definitely is that.

Any good movies that would overlap with an interest in Hinduism (academically speaking)? I've seen Sita Sings the Blues and Monsoon Wedding looks neat. Anything else come to mind for anyone?