Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Sorry Ms. Carver, our manufacturer's warranty does not cover damage due to self-immolation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Rasamune posted:

(Maybe she's been stalking Paz so she can give her the 'don't break her heart' speech?)

Maybe she's stalking Paz to tell her the clown incident was her fault and laugh unsettlingly.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Received my copy of Annie in the Forest Part 2 today; thanks again, Nettle Soup!

Just like Part 1, it's a joy to read and the art remains excellent (and better than the regular comic).

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

dyzzy posted:

Sorry Ms. Carver, our manufacturer's warranty does not cover damage due to self-immolation.

Annie's flames are rather selective in what they burn and what heat they have; and I don't think she risks destroying what she wears. (Which is for the better. Gunnerkrigg Court isn't Wayward Sons.)

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Cat Mattress posted:

Annie's flames are rather selective in what they burn and what heat they have; and I don't think she risks destroying what she wears. (Which is for the better. Gunnerkrigg Court isn't Wayward Sons.)

She did singe her clothes though. The heat would also be bad for the phone.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Maybe cellphones aren't permitted, but nobody dares to tell Jones to stop using hers.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

seravid posted:

Received my copy of Annie in the Forest Part 2 today; thanks again, Nettle Soup!

Just like Part 1, it's a joy to read and the art remains excellent (and better than the regular comic).

:woop: Good to know! I was wondering if anyone else had gotten them yet!

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Gonna check when I get back tonight, crossing my fingers!

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Blackheart posted:

Maybe cellphones aren't permitted, but nobody dares to tell Jones to stop using hers.

Maybe it's an Etherphone that Jones got back when radio came around and she just upgrades it every once in a while.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Annie almost certainly doesn't have a phone - who would have given her one? Surma wouldn't have needed her to have one since they were inseparable, and I can't imagine Anthony actually giving her a gift. And since she became old enough to go out by herself she's never left the Court-Gillitie region, which probably doesn't have a local Vodafone branch.

I'd imagine most of the other kids have mobiles, and they work fine, we just haven't seen them use them.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Tenebrais posted:

Annie almost certainly doesn't have a phone - who would have given her one? Surma wouldn't have needed her to have one since they were inseparable, and I can't imagine Anthony actually giving her a gift. And since she became old enough to go out by herself she's never left the Court-Gillitie region, which probably doesn't have a local Vodafone branch.

I'd imagine most of the other kids have mobiles, and they work fine, we just haven't seen them use them.

If Annie had a phone her father would probably have called her on it instead of on Jones', or at least they would have mentioned it when he did.

If Kat had a phone she probably would have called/texted Annie on vacation rather than writing letters.

If they other kids had phones they probably would have used them during the dryad kidnapping sequence, or at least tried.

Why they don't have phones is entirely speculative, but the fact that they don't have phones is pretty clear.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Nettle Soup posted:

:woop: Good to know! I was wondering if anyone else had gotten them yet!

My comics arrived too, thanks a bunch Nettlesoup. Now to wrap them up and deprive myself of them until christmas :saddowns:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

fatherdog posted:

Why they don't have phones is entirely speculative

Because mobile phones are inconvenient to dramatic storytelling, probably. :ninja:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Now we need a little side story where Annie tries to use the blinker stone to text in 100 foot tall letters.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

MikeJF posted:

Because mobile phones are inconvenient to dramatic storytelling, probably. :ninja:

Also this comic has been going for around 8 years now. Back then, phones weren't quite as ubiquitous as they are now. Maybe the story arc wasn't really planned out in advance with everyone having a Star Trek communicator. :shrug:

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.

BobTheJanitor posted:

Also this comic has been going for around 8 years now. Back then, phones weren't quite as ubiquitous as they are now. Maybe the story arc wasn't really planned out in advance with everyone having a Star Trek communicator. :shrug:

What year are we supposed to assume that the comic is taking place in? Jones' phone was a pretty dated-looking flip phone, for example, so I can't imagine that it's recent.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Doctor_Blueninja posted:

What year are we supposed to assume that the comic is taking place in? Jones' phone was a pretty dated-looking flip phone, for example, so I can't imagine that it's recent.
Jones doesn't seem like the type to stay caught up on her phone upgrades.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Doctor_Blueninja posted:

Probably started around or just a year or two before when the comic started, but has progressed slower than real time.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Yeah even if we assume the comic's timeline started in 2005 to match the release of the first page, we've only seen two years and part of another right? So it would only be 2007-2008 in their world. First iPhones were released in 2007, so it would make sense that they're not all chatting on phones yet.

Comparing smart phone history to comic world chronology ITT. :v:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Doctor_Blueninja posted:

It's like y'know modern day. There's some interesting stuff on the wiki that's "word of tom" or whatever where he answers some questions about that kind of thing. I like the way he deals with it: if it's not important to the story it's just sort of like whatever man.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Doctor_Blueninja posted:

Jones' phone was a pretty dated-looking flip phone

When I look at all the scratches on my phone's screen, I miss the flip phones.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Doctor_Blueninja posted:

I swear I saw Tom say somewhere that she had an old-style flip phone because her fingers don't trigger capacitive touchscreens.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Blasmeister posted:

My comics arrived too, thanks a bunch Nettlesoup. Now to wrap them up and deprive myself of them until christmas :saddowns:

Me too! Thanks again Nettle Soup!

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.

SHISHKABOB posted:

It's like y'know modern day. There's some interesting stuff on the wiki that's "word of tom" or whatever where he answers some questions about that kind of thing. I like the way he deals with it: if it's not important to the story it's just sort of like whatever man.

After you guys started mentioning the Word of Tom stuff, I went and looked them up to read them again. It's hilarious just how general his answers get for questions about the comic. Take a look at this as an example:

Word of Tom posted:

Q: What year does the comic take place in?

A: A current year

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

MikeJF posted:

I swear I saw Tom say somewhere that she had an old-style flip phone because her fingers don't trigger capacitive touchscreens.

Right in this thread!

Tea-san posted:

The story is set in the current day! Jones has a keypad phone because she is unable to use capacitive touchscreens.

More trivia tidbits about Jones:

quote:

Is Jones a robot?

That would be pretty cool.

quote:

Is Jones an android?

That would be pretty weird.

quote:

How many hit points does Jones have?

Let me find a piece of paper long enough to write it down.

quote:

Has Jones ever laughed in her entire lifetime?

She tried it a few times.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Jones was subjected to X-Rays and MRI's before right?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

RandomPauI posted:

Jones was subjected to X-Rays and MRI's before right?

In the comic, her X-Rays are shown as pure black shadow.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Or rather, pure white.

Ninja: http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1119

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Tollymain posted:

Or rather, pure white.
Yeah, she's solid the entire way through.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Solid belief, if you believe Coyote.

Who was it who said that the Court was Man's attempt to become a God? The etheric experiments make me think they are trying to develop a way of manipulating reality on the macroscopic scale.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Tollymain posted:

Solid belief, if you believe Coyote.

Who was it who said that the Court was Man's attempt to become a God? The etheric experiments make me think they are trying to develop a way of manipulating reality on the macroscopic scale.
Coyote

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I never really noticed this before this chapter, but now I can't stop noticing. Look at how big Kat's nose is. LOOK AT IT. She should be less self-conscious of her lesbian crush and more self-conscious of that GIANT HONKER, because goddamn, it's obviously the more shameful of the pair. :colbert:

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
You didn't notice it before because it looks bigger in profile and the characters haven't been drawn much in profile until recently, haha

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
In this comic, everyone looks a little off in profile; it's Tom's kryptonite.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Nathilus posted:

I never really noticed this before this chapter, but now I can't stop noticing. Look at how big Kat's nose is. LOOK AT IT. She should be less self-conscious of her lesbian crush and more self-conscious of that GIANT HONKER, because goddamn, it's obviously the more shameful of the pair. :colbert:

http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=73

Zimmy insulted her on it early on.

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.

Nathilus posted:

Nose? I don't know what you're talking about.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

BobTheJanitor posted:

Yeah even if we assume the comic's timeline started in 2005 to match the release of the first page, we've only seen two years and part of another right? So it would only be 2007-2008 in their world. First iPhones were released in 2007, so it would make sense that they're not all chatting on phones yet.

Cell phone saturation has been at or over 100% for well over a decade now. I'd say it's safe to assume all students who aren't Annie or former forest creatures would be expected to own at least one cell phone, if they are anything like students outside the Court. I assume the reason we aren't shown the kids using phones is simply because it doesn't fit the narrative.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It also might not be in a regular cellphone network.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Am I the only person that thinks its weird that these kids are like 13-14 years old and yet they all have jobs and are treated with respect by the adults and are eligible to be ambassadors to the mystical forest? It feels like they are characterized as being more along the lines of 17-18 year olds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Talorat posted:

Am I the only person that thinks its weird that these kids are like 13-14 years old and yet they all have jobs and are treated with respect by the adults and are eligible to be ambassadors to the mystical forest? It feels like they are characterized as being more along the lines of 17-18 year olds.

Parley and Smitty are significantly older, and Annie is a special case. As for Paz, well, she volunteers, and we don't really know whether or not the adults treat her with respect with regards to the animal lab.