Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

I absolutely love your idea. I'd love to do a oneshot but we're just getting started on my main campaign. It's full of new people who have never roleplayed before and they've really got in the swing of things! This system rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I did a similar theme with my group last week except they were Rhak'ghouls on a derelict freighter. The trick is keeping it either claustrophobic for ranged classes or to send a crap ton of them at them. My minions went down easy, but always attacked in packs and every Crit "infected" and added a real sense of threat to even the smallest group of them.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax
I have a quick question. If I decided to run a Edge of Empire Game over Google Hangout, would anyone be interested in playing it?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Interested, but what's the basic premise behind your particular EotE campaign?

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

Chortles posted:

Interested, but what's the basic premise behind your particular EotE campaign?

Starting premise is that the Death Star just blew up a few weeks ago, your on a planet where major Rebel activity has just been uncovered after a botched TIE fighter factory bombing, and the regional Moff is hauling in anyone with a criminal record in an attempt to nab every Rebel before they get a chance to actually get away. That would include the player characters as they have to think on their feet quickly to get off the planet. From there you'd find your selves in the middle of the crosshairs of two competing crime lords. A Rebel Sympathizing Hutt and a powerful crimelord though loyal to the Empire, someone who detests things like slavery and other extremely unsavory criminal activities AKA a criminal with a code. Later who knows you might be crime bosses of your own or agents of the rebellion.

Undead Unicorn fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Oct 22, 2013

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Definitely interested... are you planning on using anything AoR or only EotE and the errata?

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax
I might pick up AoR at my game store Wedensday since the Beta is apparently a hot commodity. But outside of Star Destroyers and X-Wing/Tie Fighter variants I don't know what I'd import from that into my game. It's mostly crime world shenanigans.

Undead Unicorn fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 22, 2013

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Undead Unicorn posted:

I might pick up AoR at my game store Wedensday since the Beta is apparently a hot commodity. But outside of Star Destroyers and X-Wing/Tie Fighter variants I don't know what I'd important from that into my game. It's mostly crime world shenanigans.

New species and Force powers.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

homullus posted:

New species and Force powers.

Ah.

Should I make a recruitment thread for this? I see someone was pretty much interested soon as I said something. Skype/google games are mostly ignored though.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Note that there's already been two beta updates (akin to "game patches") for AoR, although you'd be fine with just getting the second, since it has the prior one's beta updates listed as well.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Another Rules Question: can the Dodge talent be used in a starship battle? Assuming the character with said talent is the pilot, and piloting, could Dodge be used to upgrade the difficulty of the attack roll?

Dodge: Active (Incidental, out of turn)
When targeted by a combat check (ranged or melee) the character may choose to immediately suffer a number of strain then upgrade the difficulty of the combat check by that number. The number of strain suffered cannot exceed his ranks in strain.

I can't think of any reason why not?

As an aside, is there some sort of online errata or FAQ for the rules?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Another Rules Question: can the Dodge talent be used in a starship battle? Assuming the character with said talent is the pilot, and piloting, could Dodge be used to upgrade the difficulty of the attack roll?

Dodge: Active (Incidental, out of turn)
When targeted by a combat check (ranged or melee) the character may choose to immediately suffer a number of strain then upgrade the difficulty of the combat check by that number. The number of strain suffered cannot exceed his ranks in strain.

I can't think of any reason why not?

As an aside, is there some sort of online errata or FAQ for the rules?

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/StarWarsRPG/edge-of-the-empire/support/SWE02_FAQ_LowRes.pdf

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
The character isn't targeted by the attack in a vehicle battle, the vehicle is targeted. At least that's my take on it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

A lot of my players' talents say something like, "ignore the first [BLACK DIE] you roll when you do [thing]," so like the team's slicer is -1 [BLACK DIE] on all his hacking.

But it seems like [BLACK DIE]s don't come up that often - mostly in combat when the enemy cashes in an Advantage he couldn't otherwise use for a crit.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I be giving out lots more [BLACK DIE]s in combat/non-combat situations, just so the gang thinks their talents are more valuable?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Tharizdun posted:

Am I doing something wrong? Should I be giving out lots more [BLACK DIE]s in combat/non-combat situations, just so the gang thinks their talents are more valuable?

Yes. Well, it depends on how much you already do, but the system thrives on many Setback and Boost dice. For example, not having the right tools for a job is, by the book, a Setback die, having the right tools is a Boost die. In combat Cover is probably the most important Setback die.

In an important noncombat situation (like trying to convince a politician to do something for example) I might model a few preliminary rolls as adding boost or setback to the final Charm/Negotiation roll. You could do the same thing with upgrading or downgrading the difficulty, but I'd probably make that a triumph/despair thing.

I think the expectation is that the system doesn't want you changing the difficulty or challenge dice much, instead using setback dice to make things more difficult, but how practical that is depends.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Yeah, for the most part, you should be adding setback dice to make things harder, and reserving adding difficulty dice and upgrading for clear-cut increasingly dangerous situations. Setback dice are usually more environmental - don't have the right tools, it's raining as you work on rewiring that door panel, the mark is pissed you just insulted his wife as you try to negotiate. Adding difficulty might be the computer is ancient and unknown, you're trying to plug a square hyperdrive motivator into a round socket, or the guard just got an alert from his boss to be on the look out for people matching your description right as you start your charm check to get into that warehouse.

It's a bit free-form, but being free with the setback and boost dice is only good for the game. Adding difficulty/upgrades are a lot harsher and should be done with more caution.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

I've been adding Setback dice pretty liberally, but I think that's a symptom of my own over-rewarding of EXP to my players. When your Bounty Hunter is rolling 4 Proficiency Dice and 1 Ability Die, and your Marauder is rolling 4 Proficiency Dice, you gotta up the forces against them. The power creep in my game has kinda gotten out of hand, but I've just been pitting them against stronger and stronger enemies.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax
I have no idea if anyone would be interested by I opened up my thread for the Skype/google hangouts EoE game

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The main thing with the setback dice is that our group has pretty much the archetypal spread - a slicer, pilot, diplomat and bounty hunter. Each of them has their niche and even in the starter adventure at the back of the book, they each found a way to take advantage of their class talents.

So like, when it comes to slicing, they always let the slicer do that. And that means he always has his tools. So the "you ignore the first black die that comes your way" thing is kinda pointless.

I also realized after the first session that I barely touched Destiny Points, and definitely utilized them more in the second session. Next week is the first time they'll be free to explore on their own after finishing up the Bandin Dobah 'back-of-the-book' adventure, I'm really curious as to where they go next/what they do.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Tharizdun posted:

The main thing with the setback dice is that our group has pretty much the archetypal spread - a slicer, pilot, diplomat and bounty hunter. Each of them has their niche and even in the starter adventure at the back of the book, they each found a way to take advantage of their class talents.

So like, when it comes to slicing, they always let the slicer do that. And that means he always has his tools. So the "you ignore the first black die that comes your way" thing is kinda pointless.

I also realized after the first session that I barely touched Destiny Points, and definitely utilized them more in the second session. Next week is the first time they'll be free to explore on their own after finishing up the Bandin Dobah 'back-of-the-book' adventure, I'm really curious as to where they go next/what they do.

Do all slicer tools automatically fit all things to be sliced? Maybe it's a new thing-a-ma-jig that his tools don't work with? His are metric and the slicy is imperial (:haw:)

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

omnibobb posted:

Do all slicer tools automatically fit all things to be sliced? Maybe it's a new thing-a-ma-jig that his tools don't work with? His are metric and the slicy is imperial (:haw:)

The more Star Warsy EU-version would be slicing ancient Rakata security systems, rather than modern.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Slicing under fire. :getin:

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
The gamemaster has a responsibility to always be throwing setback dice at everything. If you can't think of why a slicing check would have some black dice on it, then not enough of the room is on fire.

But seriously, coming up with reasons to justify the black dice goes a long way towards making every problem feel unique and interesting, and it makes the players feel awesome when they get to overcome them. An easy one to use on just about anything is 'you're feeling pressured by time, add a setback' if you can't think of anything else.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Well, a slicer rig is something in the equipment list and it does cost quite a bit. I could easily see it getting shot accidentally on a despair and needing to fix or replace it. And of course if the character chose not to start with it, but it sounds like they did.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

TheDemon posted:

And of course if the character chose not to start with it, but it sounds like they did.
Yeah, the running joke is his entire equipment list is
  • Slicer Rig
  • clothes on his back
  • a stick

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
See in that situation (being that slicer) I would have kept the money, spent the 5(probably) xp on the talent and been like "I'm just so good I don't even need slicer's tools. I'm buying other cool stuff."

As a Pilot I just consider the talents incentive to fly through asteroid fields/crazy traffic in chases.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Tactical Bonnet posted:

See in that situation (being that slicer) I would have kept the money, spent the 5(probably) xp on the talent and been like "I'm just so good I don't even need slicer's tools. I'm buying other cool stuff."
In fairness, he's definitely gotten good use out of the slicer deck (hacking IFF beacons on the ship to make sure they weren't shot out of the sky) and the stick (he used it to bust out a light so the Bounty Hunter could sneak into a warehouse.)

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Is anyone interested in a Goon Project to split up the data entry for this character builder: http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/89135-another-character-generator/

Basically entering in the data for talents, equipment etc. so they show up on the character sheet. I'm doing the ones my players need but it would be easy if we split up everything and knocked it all out.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

My first attack must ALWAYS be a charge!

alg posted:

Is anyone interested in a Goon Project to split up the data entry for this character builder: http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/89135-another-character-generator/

Basically entering in the data for talents, equipment etc. so they show up on the character sheet. I'm doing the ones my players need but it would be easy if we split up everything and knocked it all out.

You have no idea how tempted I am by that idea... but wouldn't that be basically breaking the law or something.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Druggeddwarf posted:

You have no idea how tempted I am by that idea... but wouldn't that be basically breaking the law or something.

Yeah it's probably :filez: :(

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Optical Camouflage System. Found a weird loophole. It says this upgrade would be useless on laminate or higher armor because of the noise you would make.

Buuut only laminate or higher armor has the two hard points needed to install the attachment? And the 'stealthy' specs this seems made for don't have the talent needed to add a hard point to the lighter armors to make this worth a poo poo. Am I missing something here?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Springfield Fatts posted:

Optical Camouflage System. Found a weird loophole. It says this upgrade would be useless on laminate or higher armor because of the noise you would make.

Buuut only laminate or higher armor has the two hard points needed to install the attachment? And the 'stealthy' specs this seems made for don't have the talent needed to add a hard point to the lighter armors to make this worth a poo poo. Am I missing something here?

It has been said by FFG that not all upgrades in the book are mean't to be used solely on stuff in the book. They seeded it with stuff for other sourcebooks, and adventures. I'm sure we'll see new equipment in Suns of Fortune, the Corellian book, for instance.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...
Get your tech friend to add a hard point to your armor. Teamwork.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

My first attack must ALWAYS be a charge!
Found this work in progress, thought you guys might be interested in it. warning: links to reddit http://www.reddit.com/r/swrpg/comments/1qk1ez/eote_item_information_index_v01_looking_for/?sort=confidence

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

So my players are exploring a Golan Space Platform that's been taken over by a mad scientist. He's breeding super-soldiers by using midichlorian-infused Bacta tanks as growth pods, and they're (obviously) going to bust out and go crazy, creating a running firefight back to the Decadian Hawk, the crew's incredibly-derivitavely-named ship.

But I can't seem to find anything that fits the idea of super-soldier brute. Obviously if I just throw 3-4 Wookiee Gladiators at them they'll be pulverized into a fine pink paste, but then the Aqualish Thug is a little lackluster, too. Thoughts?

Fake Edit: Basically these guys:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFV6EDKv9uI

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Does Fantasy Flight's Star Wars system have a name other than "FFG's Star Wars roleplaying"? I've been referring to it as the "Edge of the Empire system", but with Age of Rebellion coming out soonish and Force and Destiny on the horizon, it'd be nice to have something slightly more accurate and all-encompassing to say in conversation.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

jivjov posted:

Does Fantasy Flight's Star Wars system have a name other than "FFG's Star Wars roleplaying"? I've been referring to it as the "Edge of the Empire system", but with Age of Rebellion coming out soonish and Force and Destiny on the horizon, it'd be nice to have something slightly more accurate and all-encompassing to say in conversation.

I've seen it referred to as the 'Narrative Dice System,' but since it differs from Warhammer Fantasy I would call it 'Star Wars Narrative System' since every other line in the "key mechanic" section of the book talks about NARRATIVE(!)

alg
Mar 14, 2007

"Star Wars RPG"

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

alg posted:

"Star Wars RPG"

I almost said that, but if you want to differentiate it from the games of past Star Wars license holders, it's not enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

homullus posted:

I almost said that, but if you want to differentiate it from the games of past Star Wars license holders, it's not enough.

"the good Star Wars RPG"

• Locked thread