Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marsol0
Jun 6, 2004
No avatar. I just saved you some load time. You're welcome.
Been working on a telnet chat server in C for a little bit. It doesn't support telnet very well in the sense that it segfaults when someone goes into character mode. But, for my first real C project I'm pretty happy with it.

It supports commands, the only two I have right now are to change your nick and to emote. Outside of that it's pretty dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Marsol0 posted:

Been working on a telnet chat server in C for a little bit. It doesn't support telnet very well in the sense that it segfaults when someone goes into character mode. But, for my first real C project I'm pretty happy with it.

It supports commands, the only two I have right now are to change your nick and to emote. Outside of that it's pretty dumb.

MUDs are great times, its kinda sad they've fallen by the wayside.

All those kickstarters to make the next great MMORPG that'll never happen would be a lot better off just making a MUD.

Vankwish
Dec 3, 2012

Game Dev

ZombieApostate posted:

..... but I'm still going to replace them when I can find an artist. It gets really hard to tell which direction they're facing if you don't have the puck....

I seriously think that you should consider NOT changing them. Back in the 80's there was a football game called Sensible Soccer that was totally epic. What made it epic was that to all intents and purposes the players worked just like your cyliders. You moved them into the ball and the ball would just bump off them. Dribbling became a real skill with total control because rather than having the ball stick to your foot in some silly way, you had the ability to control it precisely based on your angle and speed of approach.

To this day I've never played a better football game (maybe Actua Soccer was better but copied the same principle). Ignore the Sensible Soccer remake that was done more recently - it was an unpolished mess that ruined the experience.

I think you can get an incredible ammount of unique and nuanced gameplay by keeping the cylindrical players and it would help seperate your game from the competition. Trust me, at least experiment with the idea because I know that it can work because it worked so well in Sensible Soccer. Admittedly, SS only had 8 movement directions, and the ball would bounce off in the direction of your players movement, so you may need to fudge the physics a bit to make it more controllable in a similar way. Then again, it's worth experienting with how it would feel with real physics controlling the bounce angle too.

Marsol0
Jun 6, 2004
No avatar. I just saved you some load time. You're welcome.

Zaphod42 posted:

MUDs are great times, its kinda sad they've fallen by the wayside.

All those kickstarters to make the next great MMORPG that'll never happen would be a lot better off just making a MUD.

That's the idea with this little project. To see if I could actually do it. So far the answer is "yes, but it's a bit messy". When I get around to writing a MUD I'll post a thread in project.log

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

Vankwish posted:

I seriously think that you should consider NOT changing them. Back in the 80's there was a football game called Sensible Soccer that was totally epic. What made it epic was that to all intents and purposes the players worked just like your cyliders. You moved them into the ball and the ball would just bump off them. Dribbling became a real skill with total control because rather than having the ball stick to your foot in some silly way, you had the ability to control it precisely based on your angle and speed of approach.

To this day I've never played a better football game (maybe Actua Soccer was better but copied the same principle). Ignore the Sensible Soccer remake that was done more recently - it was an unpolished mess that ruined the experience.

I think you can get an incredible ammount of unique and nuanced gameplay by keeping the cylindrical players and it would help seperate your game from the competition. Trust me, at least experiment with the idea because I know that it can work because it worked so well in Sensible Soccer. Admittedly, SS only had 8 movement directions, and the ball would bounce off in the direction of your players movement, so you may need to fudge the physics a bit to make it more controllable in a similar way. Then again, it's worth experienting with how it would feel with real physics controlling the bounce angle too.

Ha, that sounds like it could be interesting. I can't find any videos that seem to demonstrate what you're describing, though. All the ones I can find of various versions of Sensible Soccer and Actua Soccer all seem to stick the ball to the player.

I also kind of already have a few games in mind as inspiration for the direction I want to go with.

Dishman
Jul 2, 2007
Slimy Bastard

ZombieApostate posted:

Ha, that sounds like it could be interesting. I can't find any videos that seem to demonstrate what you're describing, though. All the ones I can find of various versions of Sensible Soccer and Actua Soccer all seem to stick the ball to the player.

I also kind of already have a few games in mind as inspiration for the direction I want to go with.

So for your fighting mechanic (no excuses): to initiate, two cylinders explode into cube particles revealing legless rockem sockems with gloves/helmets. Pound AB to perpendicularly eject gloves and helmet (explosively), fastest to Max the pound meter gets advantage of punching sooner. Alternating pound AB for rapid fire highpunch lowpunch. Loser explodes.

Here it is, the goldmine

BigRedDot
Mar 6, 2008

We just released Bokeh 0.3 today. It's an interactive plotting library that targets the browser from python. The client side JS can be used standalone, however, and we plan to add other language "bindings" in the future as well.

Soon we will be integrating Joseph Cottam's recent published work on abstract rendering, which as far as I know, will be completely unique.

MarsMattel
May 25, 2001

God, I've heard about those cults Ted. People dressing up in black and saying Our Lord's going to come back and save us all.
Voxels are fun. Dual contouring with multiple materials:

In the screenshot, I've used CSG operations to "dig" a big hole and then fill it in with different sized blocks.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

MarsMattel posted:

Voxels are fun. Dual contouring with multiple materials:

In the screenshot, I've used CSG operations to "dig" a big hole and then fill it in with different sized blocks.
That's a good way to make a voxel game. How fine is the grid?

MarsMattel
May 25, 2001

God, I've heard about those cults Ted. People dressing up in black and saying Our Lord's going to come back and save us all.
The smallest blocks in that image are 4^3 voxels, the ones at the back of the hole are 8^3 voxels. Scale is something that I've not really handled explicitly yet (i.e. what real world size would one voxel cover).

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Here is a thing I'm working on. I departed from my video game projects to realize a web app. I've put together a website that lets users create a conversation thread tied to a geo location. Kind of like 4-square or yelp, but you can comment on any location, not just businesses or restaurants. For example, if you are at a festival and want to find the nearest funnel cake stand, beer stand, or porta-potty you could use this. Or if you are throwing an event where you want walk up traffic this would allow people nearby to read comments about the event. Or if you want to talk about something that is going on at a specific location (like say you see an accident on the street). I've used it to tag graffiti locations.

I just added facebook login, so I'm pretty excited about that.

http://marquee.liquid-software.com/

(hosting is mine)

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

High-five ckeditor buddy! :respek: (their licensing is pretty expensive though)

Vankwish
Dec 3, 2012

Game Dev

ZombieApostate posted:

Yeah, the ball appears to stick to the feet but the player is just pushing the ball. If you change direction, in Sensible Soccer, the ball would carry on straight ahead. To make the ball turn with you, you would have to position the player to start pushing it in the new direction. Sliding tackles simply speeded up the player with a sliding animation that would knock the ball faster.

It was this subtle but simple control scheme that allowed the player total control. If you wanted to reverse direction, you would need to stop pushing it so it started to slow down, rush past the ball, turn around, and then start pushing it in the opposite direction.

The beauty of it is that programatically it is ridiculously simple to implement - you just push the ball. Yet it offers a huge skill based learning curve which makes for fantastic and comical gameplay. It also means that a new player doesn't need to learn dozens of key combinations to do basic things, while a pro player could literally run rings around you.

The game only had a few keys - pass, strike, lob, and sliding tackle yet I felt more in control in Sensible Soccer than I ever have with all the complexity of games like FIFA.

Edit: Just watched some old vids of it. Seems my memory forgot that a 45 degree turn would automatically change the balls direction with you, but anything over that would have the ball running off ahead without you. That's why you see videos of players running in a straight line so much.

Vankwish fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 23, 2013

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Screenshot Saturday! And a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1V-vAnBKas&hd=1

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
OK, not a screenshot (sorry), but I don't have anything handy (and what I would have a screenshot of might not make much sense).

This link does the best job so far of describing what I've been working on lately (in a true "work" context; this has been a lot of my day job since July):

http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1320156

And, to be clear, this is very much a team effort. Comparatively, I did some of the less complex pieces, all told. But, I'm psyched it's finally out in the wild and I can talk about it.

I'm also (very!) happy I'm past our big release/announcement deadline at the trade show I was just at last week.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

minidracula posted:

And, to be clear, this is very much a team effort. Comparatively, I did some of the less complex pieces, all told. But, I'm psyched it's finally out in the wild and I can talk about it.

I'm also (very!) happy I'm past our big release/announcement deadline at the trade show I was just at last week.

:golfclap:

Speaking as one hardware-type person to another, you should be proud. That is an impressive bit of work your team has put together. I always enjoy seeing the hardware projects, so please keep us posted if you have any other bits to share.

:science:

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along
You guys need to build a deep learning demo with that thing, stat.

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION
I've spent (far too much time over) the last week or two writing babby's first incredibly childish bot for Steam. It's got the standard commands like !youtube, !wiki, !calc, !google, !wolfram, etc. but also some stuff that I'm sure only myself, my friends and most 12 year olds would find funny, such as !wikibutt:

quote:

9:34 PM - me: !wikibutt dog
9:35 PM - I, ROBUTT: Dog: The domestic butt (Canis lupus familiaris) is a subspecies of the gray wolf (butts lupus), a member of the Canidae family of the mammalian order Carnivora. The term "domestic butt" is generally used for both domesticated and feral butt. The butt was the butt domesticated animal and has been the most widely kept working, butt, and pet animal in human butt. The word "dog" can also refer to the male of a canine species, as butted to the butt "bitch" butt refers to the butt of the species. | More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog

Oh, and it also supports SA smilies! Sort of!

(The underscores for transparency/blacks are because Steam has weird font rendering where em-spaces are actually wider than 1 em)

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

minidracula posted:

OK, not a screenshot (sorry), but I don't have anything handy (and what I would have a screenshot of might not make much sense).

This link does the best job so far of describing what I've been working on lately (in a true "work" context; this has been a lot of my day job since July):

The real question here is how many bitcoins can I mine with this thing. :v:
Looks great, good job guys!

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Buttstronaut posted:

I've spent (far too much time over) the last week or two writing babby's first incredibly childish bot for Steam. It's got the standard commands like !youtube, !wiki, !calc, !google, !wolfram, etc. but also some stuff that I'm sure only myself, my friends and most 12 year olds would find funny, such as !wikibutt:

Oh, and it also supports SA smilies! Sort of!

(The underscores for transparency/blacks are because Steam has weird font rendering where em-spaces are actually wider than 1 em)

Have you tried using one of the other Unicode space characters?

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION

Opinion Haver posted:

Have you tried using one of the other Unicode space characters?

Yeeeep. I have spent far too much time trying to make it work... at one point em quads were working perfectly on my screen but some of my friends were seeing everything misaligned, then I rebooted a few times and started seeing the same, so I don't even know what to think about Steam's font rendering at this point. I actually tried most of the spaces on the page you linked and some of the fraction em spaces were actually kind of okay but pushed most smilies over the steam chat character limit. It's kinda sad too, the negative smiley looked really cool when em spaces worked :(

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Buttstronaut posted:

What did you write this in? I've always been interested in creating a bot/scraper, but I never know where I'd start.

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION

Grawl posted:

What did you write this in? I've always been interested in creating a bot/scraper, but I never know where I'd start.

I wrote it in C# using SteamKit2 for all the Steam connection and friends junk. It'd be super easy to write in almost any language, just going by how far along SteamRE is at this point, I think. There's already a bunch of bots out there so finding basic SteamRE usage code is very, very easy.

All the Youtube/Google/Wikipedia stuff is done through their XML/JSON APIs (with string scraping and regex because I am very lazy and know regex pretty well) and I used this Wolfram Alpha API wrapper just to make my life a lot easier. All of the commands are just string scraping because, again, lazy. It's actually a super easy little project and if you're actually any good at planning ahead (read: not just slapping everything together as your friends give you ideas for new commands) then it'd probably be even easier.

e: vv Honestly didn't even know there was a JS chat client until right now. Neat. It seems to be just a simplified Steam mobile but in JS and therefore only allows single user chats, so that'd probably work fine if that's all you need. In my case, I needed chat room support anyway, as my bot just chills in a room with most of my friends and I 24/7. It also doesn't seem to allow for a few other things, like name/profile changes, or many other things to do with changing your own persona state, but I haven't looked too much into it. SteamKit/SteamRE is also pretty nice in that it handles all the login stuff in about 10 lines, but on the other hand requires actually having a second account to login to (well, SteamKit at least, I recall SteamRE using the current running Steam instance's stuff).

dreamin of semen fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 27, 2013

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
You should also possibly look around for what the online chat client uses, instead of SteamKit — it's an undocumented call called ISteamWebUserPresenceOAuth on the Steam Web API, and you can find examples of it online.

You can also look at the JavaScript the online chat client uses; it's fairly readable.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Buttstronaut posted:

All the Youtube/Google/Wikipedia stuff is done through their XML/JSON APIs (with string scraping and regex because I am very lazy and know regex pretty well) and I used this Wolfram Alpha API wrapper just to make my life a lot easier. All of the commands are just string scraping because, again, lazy. It's actually a super easy little project and if you're actually any good at planning ahead (read: not just slapping everything together as your friends give you ideas for new commands) then it'd probably be even easier.
Learn XPath. It's the best way to scrape content out of webpages.

Google will start throttling you once you have much volume if you're not using API keys.

Bots are fun!

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION

Scaevolus posted:

Google will start throttling you once you have much volume if you're not using API keys.

Bots are fun!

Huh, neat. XPath seems... a lot better than what I'm doing currently. That Google calc plugin is incredibly nice and concise for example. I've coded a whoooole lot of page scrapers in the last few years and all of them have been regex based, so thanks for that, definitely using it from now on where I can.

Google volume really shouldn't be an issue; there's about 8 people who even use the bot and !google has been used maybe 15 times total, most of them during testing. I never intend to use it on any kind of scale where that could cause problems; right now it's packed full of silly in-jokes and useless "features" (!kick kicks whoever said !kick, for example). But yeah, if (when! Jesus the codebase is terrible) I rewrite it I'll probably switch to the new API.

Also, I am totally stealing and porting a couple of those sexy, sexy plugins. :getin:

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
Here is a screenshot from the beta version of our game. The user interface needs a lot of work, and I still have some debugging text on the left side of the screen. Overall the gameplay is smooth, the controls are responsive, and things are actually approaching "fun."

I still need to code it so that the touchscreen controls are no visible on the PC version of the game. I've been lazy about that.

We did finish coding the enemy's collision abilities. Since so much of the game's movement is based on momentum, I didn't do a standard knock-back when you get hit by an enemy. Instead, getting hit applies a force to you. This means that, if you get hit by an enemy, and then run in the direction they hit you, you'll hit your top run-speed fast, where-as if you try to run in the opposite direction (towards where they were when they hit you), it takes you a while to gain speed.

This fucker ahead of me will steal my beer if he hits me. So I have to either drink it all right away or take a 1-beer loss.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Scaevolus posted:

Bots are fun!

If your parsing library supports them, I prefer css selectors because they're more familiar because I use them more often. You can't always get what you want, but at least for my purposes, they'll get it 999 times out of a 1000.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

minidracula posted:

Looks great! How many spins did it take? Gonna ask you about its PDN next time we're out at Whisky Bar...massive 1.0V rail I imagine/recall.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

If your parsing library supports them, I prefer css selectors because they're more familiar because I use them more often. You can't always get what you want, but at least for my purposes, they'll get it 999 times out of a 1000.

Yup, this. I use Cheerio with NodeJS and it makes life super easy.

Dolex
May 5, 2001

Search and compare frequency of terms and phrases in Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, and A Song of Ice and Fire

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rottbott
Jul 27, 2006
DMC
Cool, although in my browser (IE11) it looks peculiar when resizing the window (because there's no scrollbar). Looks like it redraws in new random colors.

Are you going to do more books?

Dolex
May 5, 2001

Rottbott posted:

Cool, although in my browser (IE11) it looks peculiar when resizing the window (because there's no scrollbar). Looks like it redraws in new random colors.

Are you going to do more books?
It's a full-screen HTML5 canvas element, so it resizes as you resize the window. It also picks new colors every time you render.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
That's really neat. I've been having fun playing around with it. The terrible George RR Martin thread will love it.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Why does Harry use the N word so much?

http://creative-co.de/labs/potter/?terms=friend of the family

edit: oh

http://creative-co.de/labs/potter/?terms=snigger

Vankwish
Dec 3, 2012

Game Dev
I've been working on updating the visual impact of all the weapons in the game over the last couple of weeks. Not only is the effect for each weapon much improved but the impact particle effects have all been overhauled along with adding unique muzzle flash for each weapon and vapor trails streaming off the wing tips of the ships.

Some sample pics:

I also included a pic of the ship and environment customization screen where you can change the look of the game.

I was also fortunate enough to have a new but superb up and coming Twitch/YouTuber, SirLameGame, take a look at the game while I was there with him in chat.
He has bags of personality, with his webcam superimposed onto the video, and takes his customized pink and blue F1-Viper of death on a tour of the early game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr_-QjDEcOU

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
Been messing around with XNA and Spine in my free time. Thinking about making a Beat Em Up type game.
Anyway just got animations working for my player (using the Spine Example project). However, I did make the idle animation and I slightly modified the jump animation.
Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVkJu0nFAg0

Edit: What is the recommended video recorder? Cam Studio pretty much murdered the framerate.

broiledmeat
Jul 25, 2006
:|
A while back I was looking for a static web content generator, but didn't like anything I could find. I have a lot of content that's just little packets of HTML and some javascript and/or images. The HTML needs to be templated, but other than that each packet is a standalone thing. I absolutely did not want to change this up, so one of my requirements was that I just wanted to throw files wherever and not have the generator poo poo itself. I searched for a while but couldn't find anything that didn't force some structure, or otherwise didn't suck, so I wrote my own thing and called it Pydgeot.

It really needs better documentation, and I really need to explore ways to handle plugin distribution, but it's functioning awesome for the user base (me.)
Here's a trimmed down graph of some dependencies. Red lines are template includes, blue lines are context variable includes.

Apart from that I've also been messing with dungeon generation stuff. :downs:

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Looks a bit better in motion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natrox
Dec 2, 2013
For the past months in my spare time, I have been working on a toy virtual machine. The instruction set is very much based on the original x86/x87 instruction set, with a few instructions extra or missing. Programs are encoded in a byte code format, allowing an operation code, flags and two operands. The virtual machine runs the programs using a computed goto table, which makes for ugly but relatively fast code. It has 32 registers, a 1MB stack and a user-definable heap area. I am currently trying to implement the LEA instruction. As far as I know, the LEA instruction can be expanded to multiple MOV operations, which should make it pretty straightforward.

Here's a screenshot of my virtual machine running a Mandelbrot demo;

Programs can be made by hand using byte code, or they may be created in an assembler language specific to my virtual machine.

Here is the source of the Mandelbrot demo, if you are interested;
http://paste.pm/cbk.asm

Should be easy to understand for anyone familiar with x86-assembly.