Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

maev posted:

Imoen was much more preferable as her happy go lucky self in BG1

You wouldn't be saying that if you'd had to suffer through her VA in French: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cLuxizt_Es

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

verybad posted:

Attack bonus is just a different (and to be fair, probably more intuitive) way of expressing the same concept.

I know, I just really appreciate the idea of higher numbers = better, because it confused me when I played BG the first time. So much so that NWN felt a lot more intuitive when I played that a year later.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Because the poo poo is entirely clouded. None of it is transparent. Is your character good or bad? In Baldur's Gate that's pretty easy: "I am FIGHTER, my stats are low, I have no items. My character is weak." But knowing how strong your character is - or god forbid is going to be if you decided to make, say, a rogue - is really difficult to figure out on your own.

I'm not entirely sure that is true at all. Neverwinter Nights used point buy, so it wasn't like you'd be making an extremely crippled character unless you literally did not even read the in-game text or the player manual (which was essentially so detailed, some of my friends use it as a easy-to-carry PHB quick-guide) they fixed a lot of trap choices (toughness gives +1 HP per level! That's like a free +2 to CON and not terrible for any class) the only real trap choice in the game is that the recommend button on the skill page automatically assigns points to parry, a skill that you don't want any points in, unless you specifically engineer your character to employ parry.

And quite honestly, if you were playing a fighter, it didn't matter too much anyway. If you were playing online, you would eventually get into the game with people and eventually you'd end up talking builds and get quite a few good advices on how to make a better character and then you'd remember that if you made a new character.

In the end, I just like options. I'm not entirely sure enough gaming systems offer that to me.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
How viable is using GemRB to play any of these games on a phone screen? I have an HTC One (so 4.7" screen), but no tablet - is it ridiculously small and fiddly, or is it OK? (I want something interesting to do on my bus to/from work, and actually getting round to finishing Planescape (or finally solo-ing BG1/BG2) might just be it.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

rakovsky maybe posted:

Spell Revisions also makes it so sleeping characters wake upon being hit, they don't stay sleeping. So sleep lets you take a mob on one-at-a-time but against a single powerful enemy its basically just a free hit.

Enemies are more likely to make the save at higher levels, too, and while it's only a level 1 spell, casting it still spends an action you could've used on a more high impact spell. At low levels, limiting sleep to affect only enemies weaker than the caster is actually quite a nerf, really.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Hooray, I made it through BG1 with just CHARNAME the rear end in a top hat Fighter/Cleric and Imoen the Thief/Mage, though CHARNAME was basically carrying Imoen around. By the end I had 20 STR, CON and WIS in natural stats, 18 DEX through gloves, and dual-wielded a +2 Warhammer and Flail and had an AC of -5 and so many saving throw bonuses, resistances and immunities that I felt like a :killdozer:. There was a lot of gibbing, I tell you what.

Thank the gods for scroll and potion cases.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Death of Rats posted:

How viable is using GemRB to play any of these games on a phone screen? I have an HTC One (so 4.7" screen), but no tablet - is it ridiculously small and fiddly, or is it OK? (I want something interesting to do on my bus to/from work, and actually getting round to finishing Planescape (or finally solo-ing BG1/BG2) might just be it.

I haven't tried it on a phone yet, but Planescape doesn't work in GemRB (as in cannot be played from beginning to end). BG 1 and 2 should though. Oh and get the version from sourceforge, it's a lot newer than the one on market.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Kinda want to try a F/C to see how it stacks up to my F/M, who has become a ludicrous walking death machine. About halfway down Watchers Keep, my really-hard-fight strategy turned into hide most of the party, send my PC in alone buffed to hell, creep up with Edwin to shoot some spell removal stuff and summon a planetar. Everyone else is actively dragging me down :smith:

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Stumiester posted:

In BG2:EE, I can't enter the door in Neera's quest, in Waukeen's Promenade where the Red Wizards are without the game crashing. Any ideas?

No idea. You should try posting your save on the official forums. They are pretty good at trying to help people having problems.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I'm doing an ironman solo run of BG2/ToB with a wizard slayer for the Ironman Challenge Let's Play thread and I have some doubts.

I've got enough items to protect my char against pretty much anything, except stun, for that reason I'm mortally afraid of going against mind flayers. Their psionic blast attack is like a magic stun right? Any ideas I can use to protect myself against it aside from the scrolls of protection against magic?

Also, I've completed pretty much everything in chapter 3, but the quests for the fighter stronghold are still going on, if I go now to spellhold would I lose eventually the keep? Never tried that in my past games because always completed the quests before going to brynlaw.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
There's a greenstone amulet in the beholder lair. Avoid mind flayers until then.

No you won't lose the keep. Everything is paused until chapter 6.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Suspicious posted:

There's a greenstone amulet in the beholder lair. Avoid mind flayers until then.

No you won't lose the keep. Everything is paused until chapter 6.

Thank you for your help, thought that wizard slayers couldn't use it, I'll grab it when I get to the Underdark.

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

How editable are BG2 saves? Because I've played about five hours as a Paladin and the more I played the more I wish I was an evil sorcerer, but I'm way too far in to start again. Can I basically replace my current character with a level 1 sorcerer, give him the exact same amount of XP and then level him up while pretending he was like that all the time? Or will that break the game - is the PC hooked into world variables or something?

Also gently caress good parties. No decent mage - I'm willing to live with Imoen but I won't even have her until after Spellhold - Anomen is the only decent cleric and he is annoying as all gently caress. If I get Edwin Minsc will kill him, if I get Viconia Keldorn will kill her. I'm sick of all these messy dual-classed characters. I want a pure cleric, which means Viconia, and I want a pure mage, which means Edwin. I was going to settle for Neera but I've run into a bug where she won't talk to me after I arrive at the wild forest. I suppose I could kick Minsc for Rassad and then take Edwin...or do the swap with Keldorn, but Keldorn is such a great character. I really like Viconia though. Is Rassad fun? Hexxat had the most embarrassingly terrible voice acting I have ever heard in my life, though Neera sounded good.

This is getting frustrating. I don't remember being so uptight about my party composition the last time.

Ninja Edit: Also, remind me please, if I go to Spellhold, I eventually end up being able to wander around again and finish up a bunch of quests that I didn't get the first time around? I really just want to get Imoen back in the party.

Wingless fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 2, 2013

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

Angry Lobster posted:

Thank you for your help, thought that wizard slayers couldn't use it, I'll grab it when I get to the Underdark.

Oh, I just glossed over the wizard slayer part. You might not be able to use it. Can't use the ring of free action either? You might be poo poo out of luck. Thankfully you can avoid mind flayers entirely in SoA.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Suspicious posted:

Oh, I just glossed over the wizard slayer part. You might not be able to use it. Can't use the ring of free action either? You might be poo poo out of luck. Thankfully you can avoid mind flayers entirely in SoA.
There was Phaere's rescue mission where you have to fight mind flayers though. Unless someone skips the Drow city quest line and heads straight to the surface.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Suspicious posted:

Yup, no amulets, rings, belts or gloves. It's a really awful kit.

Factor_VIII posted:

There was Phaere's rescue mission where you have to fight mind flayers though. Unless someone skips the Drow city quest line and heads straight to the surface.

Yes, that fight is pretty much unavoidable, but I think I can take it with the vhailor's helm, rhas+2 short sword, Soulafein and a bit of luck. I plan to skip the Ilithid city entirely, but the other fight I'm going to take is the ilithid lair in the sewers of the temple district for the hammer of thunderbolts to build the crom faeyr. I hate the loving mind flayers.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
That fight is entirely avoidable as is the underdark. When you get drow form from the dragon you can go to the exit and convince the drow guards that you're reinforcements going to the surface. Alternately attack (and kill, if you want) the dragon and the exit door will automatically open.

There are some unavoidable mind flayers in Sendai's lair but before that you get an anti-psionic two handed sword in Yaga-Shura's lair.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
I think it was said a few pages back, but there is nothing more aggressively terrible than the maze level of Watcher's Keep. It's the opposite of fun.

Catastrophics
Jun 2, 2011

Wingless posted:

Ninja Edit: Also, remind me please, if I go to Spellhold, I eventually end up being able to wander around again and finish up a bunch of quests that I didn't get the first time around? I really just want to get Imoen back in the party.

I'm sorry that I don't have any answers for the rest of your post but yes, you can still complete any unfinished quests once you return from Spellhold. Unfortunately Imoen won't have anything to say about them though.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Most likely you'll hit time limits on the stronghold quests though, so you might want to finish them before Spellhold.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Karmalaa70 posted:

I think it was said a few pages back, but there is nothing more aggressively terrible than the maze level of Watcher's Keep. It's the opposite of fun.

I'm actually playing that for the first time right now and it doesn't seem too bad. Durlag's Tower of Infinite Traps was SO much worse :suicide: Might be because I just got Time Stop and Improved Alacrity though, so I might just be coasting on the novelty of seeing entire encounters explode/fall over dead before they've even had a chance to target anyone on my team.

I know common advice is to tell people to skip BG1 and go straight to BG2, which is fair since BG1 is awful compared to BG2, but I am so glad I didn't listen. I'll probably never play BG1 again, but taking my first character from a poor kid who got one-shotted by wolves and gibberlings to a walking death god capable of instantaneously slaying dragons and melting entire rooms full of hell-spawned demons at once has been so loving awesome :black101:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Which is a big reason why I love the first game. For all the complaining that you're going to be killed by gibberlings as soon as you walk away from Candlekeep, it's all in the adventure of progressing upward.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

Smol posted:

Most likely you'll hit time limits on the stronghold quests though, so you might want to finish them before Spellhold.

Quest timers are certainly paused during C5 and iirc they are paused during C4 (departure to Brynnlaw) as well.

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

So it turns out back-engineering the PC into a different class and alignment is remarkably easy once you get ShadowKeeper working with Enhanced Edition.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Wingless posted:

So it turns out back-engineering the PC into a different class and alignment is remarkably easy once you get ShadowKeeper working with Enhanced Edition.

Shadowkeeper can cause your saves to be irrevocably deleted when the enhanced edition is patched through Beamdog and possibly Steam. You want to use EEKeeper.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Dillbag posted:

Shadowkeeper can cause your saves to be irrevocably deleted when the enhanced edition is patched through Beamdog and possibly Steam. You want to use EEKeeper.

This keeps getting said but has never happened to me yet with Steam, where exactly does this info come from? p. sure it's only Beamdog tbh

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

rakovsky maybe posted:

Spell Revisions also makes it so sleeping characters wake upon being hit, they don't stay sleeping. So sleep lets you take a mob on one-at-a-time but against a single powerful enemy its basically just a free hit.

Also Spell Revisions is basically balanced to be played with SCS.

I'm pretty sure that Sleep used to work this way in unmodded BG1 too. I'm surprised this change never was included in the BG1 fixpack for tutu/trilogy.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Wingless posted:

Use EEKeeper, the interface is much better.

You might want to double-check that you did everything I mention here, just to make sure you don't accidentally end up with the wrong saves or whatever:

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Set the NPC's level to 0, and their max/current HP to 0 (this should automatically be converted to 1HP ignoring Con bonuses once you load your save). Set their attacks to 1, their ThAC0 to 20 and their AC to 10. You shouldn't need to touch proficiencies, but that's easy to fix if they accidentally end up with one more than they should. Use this page to figure out what their level 1 saves should be, and set their saves to those (only really applicable if the NPC is above level 3, but whatever).

Save the changes, then load your game and level that character up. They'll end up with the right HP/AC/ThAC0/spell progression/etc. for their level.

But yes, it's pretty drat easy.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Sweet Jesus the last Watchers' Keep fight is hard as hell :stare:

Like 15-20 reloads before I finally finished it without losing a person or two. It was never the big guy either, it was always one of the little shits managing to kill someone off. Wish there were more fights that insane.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Excelzior posted:

This keeps getting said but has never happened to me yet with Steam, where exactly does this info come from? p. sure it's only Beamdog tbh

Yea, that's entirely possible. I think the Shadowkeeper fix has something to do with moving folders or registry pointers so that it can find the save files, which confuses the patch process into nuking the new save game directory. But really, there's no reason to use Shadowkeeper at all since EE Keeper is fully functional.

Here's the warning from the Beamdog launcher for anyone who is curious.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I thought the Enhanced Edition was such a silly idea. With tutu and mods I thought BG1 was as great as it could ever be, and re-releasing it with a new coat of paint was a naked, low-effort cash grab. While all of these things are still true, I picked it up on the steam sale and it's actually pretty awesome. No fiddling with mods, the ui is pretty alright, the new npc's are pretty neat (Neera's VA is trying WAY too hard), and the changes are greater than the sum of their parts. Definitely worth $7.50, and I'm really looking forward to rolling through both games with my ridiculous cleric/ranger.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm sure this was mentioned a while ago but I can't find it any more - I'm going to loop BG1EE while waiting for BG2EE to be stable enough to play, so I'm planning on dual-classing my Fighter PC. What level should I do it at (I've removed the XP cap, so 13 is a viable answer if that's the best choice)?

Selane
May 19, 2006

MrTheDevious posted:

Sweet Jesus the last Watchers' Keep fight is hard as hell :stare:

Like 15-20 reloads before I finally finished it without losing a person or two. It was never the big guy either, it was always one of the little shits managing to kill someone off. Wish there were more fights that insane.

There are, install Ascension, which was made by the Lead Designer of BG2. It makes a lot of the boss fights from the expansion much harder. Plus the Demogorgon you just fought was the weakened nerfed version, rather than the original more powerful version that is restored by the mod.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Selane posted:

There are, install Ascension, which was made by the Lead Designer of BG2. It makes a lot of the boss fights from the expansion much harder. Plus the Demogorgon you just fought was the weakened nerfed version, rather than the original more powerful version that is restored by the mod.

Holy poo poo, you just made my day. I've already been thinking I'd probably replay it again the minute I finish my first run just to try all the evil options + different NPCs and that is loving PERFECT excuse right there. I really can't believe how much drat fun I've had with this game after ignoring it all these years.

@BG2EE Stability - it's totally playable now. I'm most of the way through ToB and the only real issue left is a memory leak that eventually crashes the client, but it only happens every couple hours and it's really easy to tell when it's getting close. Once quicksaves start taking a couple seconds each, make a regular save, quit client and come back. If you wait for the quicksave itself to crash, it'll corrupt the save. Otherwise you can play the game totally fine. It's worth it for the Hexxat quest line alone

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Has there been any word on Ascension compatibility for BG2EE yet?

I beat the game with a Sun Soul monk yesterday, my second cradle-to-grave trilogy run (the first being an archer in Tutu). They did a great job on that kit, it maintains a good-but-fair amount of power through the entire 40-level run. The cone of fire ability stays reasonably effective for awhile and even in the high levels the sunfire ability stays good, mainly because it can be fired without breaking concealment and even if fire / magic resistance eats the damage the blindness effect still works. And the fire-strike ability, unlike stunning fist, lasts multiple rounds so you can run whirlwind attack on top of it for an additional 20d6 damage per round. Monks are great when they have balanced abilities, as it happens. Had I the time or ability I would mod the pure class monk kit to have scaling save penalties for its strike powers.

Also I will admit to being completely wrong about ToB and AC. I left AC 3 bracers on my guy, and got to half hit points maybe 3 or 4 times. Often I would send him in alone to clean house against rooms full of beholders and mind flayers. With 93% magic resistance he was untouchable. I had played a monk before and it was more difficult somehow. Playing sun soul monk lets you have that "unkillable Kung fu grandmaster" experience that monks in 3E were supposed to provide at high levels. Feels good man.

Now I'm playing as a shadowdancer and planning to dual into cleric around level 13. By the time I get my thief levels back I'll have the self-buffing ability to make myself an unstoppable backstab monster.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Sorry for being late to this, but how does BGEE2 hold up to the first EE?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

As well as BG2 held up to BG1, which is to say that it's better.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
That's a generous comparison, thanks

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

Has there been any word on Ascension compatibility for BG2EE yet?

It's not compatible yet.

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Use EEKeeper, the interface is much better.

You might want to double-check that you did everything I mention here, just to make sure you don't accidentally end up with the wrong saves or whatever:

But yes, it's pretty drat easy.

I just made a new game, loaded that up beside my current save and copied every single stat exactly. Loaded it up to make sure I was playing a normal level 1 Sorcerer, then edited again to give myself exactly as much XP as the previous character, worked fine and I'm not going to be doing any more editing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Fighters becoming mostly paper late-game: am I doing something wrong or is that just how poo poo goes? My PC F/M is still happy wading into the midst of everything since he's basically immortal at this point when fully buffed, but the rest of the fight seems to just be racing to see who gets the most Time Stops off first. My Jan, Edwin, Aerie combo are rockin the house, but Keldorn and Sarevok just get shitcanned almost immediately in every fight. They can still put out great damage, but go down like a sack of potatoes the first time something notices them. Plus divine spellcasting is slower than Christmas, so it's pretty common that the minute they pull aggro on something, even if I start channeling a Heal right then, they're going to be dead before it goes off unless they just run like hell.

I've taken to using Keldorn as a sacrificial dispel machine and just having Sarevok run in circles trying to appear menacing without stopping long enough to actually get hit. It's not really that big of a deal since my party still kicks rear end, but it's kinda sad watching them turn so useless after so many good times together:smith: