Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Tony Montana posted:

Thanks for letting me know what I meant.

Tony Montana posted:

edit: this mass effect is actually the basis for much of the technology in Mass Effect. Yep, a video game by EA has better scifi than JJ Trek. It's been a long time since I nerded out with video games, but I do remember the bible or journal or whatever in Mass Effect, that would have amazing voiced descriptions of the technology and details of the galaxy and ideas.. blew modern Trek outa the park.

This post makes it sound like you're talking fairly explicitly about the application of science and technology. I'd never argue that Mass Effect is a better work of fiction than most Trek series, but I would argue that its sci-fi technology is more sound than TOS and TNG, though in the latter's case it'd be a lot closer.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Sound sci-fi technology.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Tony Montana posted:

Sound sci-fi technology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verisimilitude

I realize it's kind of a pedantic point to argue but gently caress it's a Star Trek thread, I regret nothing.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Ok, how about this. You win. Well done. Now please stop.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

So I've been playing FTL recently and it made me realize how much I desperately want a larger scale Star Trek themed version of that game with sims-like life simulation. It'd be hard to figure out how the multiple decks thing would work, but it'd be great.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

LeafyOrb posted:

So I've been playing FTL recently and it made me realize how much I desperately want a larger scale Star Trek themed version of that game with sims-like life simulation. It'd be hard to figure out how the multiple decks thing would work, but it'd be great.

I'm hoping SpaceBase DF-9 gets an expansion that lets you build ships instead.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The moral of the story is, all Star Trek is terrible and should not be watched by anyone ever.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel
The 2001 game Startopia was pretty close to being sim DS9. It did a better job of feeling like Star Trek then most Trek games. Honestly the only good Star Trek games that I recall are Birth of the Federation, Elite Force and Judgement Rites.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Barlow posted:

The 2001 game Startopia was pretty close to being sim DS9. It did a better job of feeling like Star Trek then most Trek games. Honestly the only good Star Trek games that I recall are Birth of the Federation, Elite Force and Judgement Rites.

Bridge Commander is pretty boss with the Kobayashi Maru mod installed. Add some custom ships and you can have the -D battling the Galactica :getin:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Bridge Commander is unstable as hell with mods installed, though. For example, any attempt to recreate Wolf 359 (and you definitely have the tools to do so, thanks to KA) will inevitably end in crashy, buggy failure.

It's pretty cool for the few minutes it does work, though.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
The absolute worst abuse of technobabble I've heard on Star Trek were the Krenim torpedoes in "Year of Hell." You'd think "chronometric torpedoes" or whatever are weapons that go back in time and show up in vital spaces, or explode and then explode again in the future, or something, but nope.

They just penetrate the shields. That's it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Someday, someone will give the Star Trek franchise to Telltale or Obsidian and let them go wild with the setting, and it'll be awesome.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Clementine, reverse polarity on the Heisenberg compensators.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Mr. Jive posted:

The absolute worst abuse of technobabble I've heard on Star Trek were the Krenim torpedoes in "Year of Hell." You'd think "chronometric torpedoes" or whatever are weapons that go back in time and show up in vital spaces, or explode and then explode again in the future, or something, but nope.

They just penetrate the shields. That's it.

Don't forget, Kes warned them about the Krenim torpedoes over a year before. But they conveniently forgot.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I've got it. I like it - it's not as good as the old Franz Joseph Star Fleet Technical Manual, and not as exhaustive as the TNG tech guide, but it's still a fun book.

Man, I must have checked that book out of the library two dozen times. I wonder what it goes for these days.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Gau posted:

Man, I must have checked that book out of the library two dozen times. I wonder what it goes for these days.

About $10-20 on ebay.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

That guy that's doing the Alcubierre research for NASA is a nut and they gave him a peanut's worth of money on the off chance it works. Kinda like the Spanish gave Columbus a couple of canoes and said "yeah good luck out there buddy" just in case he turned out not to be a nutbar (which he still was, he just fell rear end backwards into results that were not the ones he was looking for but paid off anyhow). If that couple million from NASA produces results in my lifetime, I'll eat a hat of my choosing and you can Toxx that poo poo.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sash! posted:

If that couple million from NASA produces results in my lifetime, I'll eat a hat of my choosing and you can Toxx that poo poo.

I do enjoy imagining someone calling you out on this post thirty years from now.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I'm watching "Night Terrors" for the first time. This is some bij if I've ever experienced it.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Aww, I like "Night Terrors," though it could've used way less "creepy" music during that freaking scene in the morgue that scared the poo poo out of me when I was a kid.

Also, when Riker puts together his away team at the start of the episode, he looks right at the camera.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Alcubierre drive is pretty much impossible without infinite energy and means to change something's mass, and would probably destroy whatever planet you go to, but Star Trek isn't hard science fiction and it's believable enough. At least there's some science behind the idea, even though it's a bit fantastical.

The cool thing about Alcubierre\warp drive is that it really isn't FTL - it bends or warps space and makes the trip to the destination shorter. They don't actually go faster than the speed of light, they just go around in a warp bubble, and in fact, the ship could be completely still and just have the bubble move. So in that case, you wouldn't even need inertial dampers or seatbelts or whatever, as if you are standing still but the space around you is moving, there's no inertia. So if you suddenly drop out of warp, the crew is not going to go splat on the walls of the ship, because they weren't really moving that fast, the space around them was. So in that regard, Star Trek is actually sorta right. (Although I guess you need the inertial dampers for the impulse engines.)

It would be cool if later Star Trek mentioned Alcubierre. And hell, you could weaponize a malfunctioning warp drive into a planet killer as when you stop, as the bubble disintegrates, all the particles on the front would violently fly off and destroy anything directly in front of the ship. I don't think anybody has done that before. You'd think somebody would be all over that and blowing up planets with a broken warp drive left and right.

Macross had the same basic thing (referred to as a "space fold" but the same idea) and they went to warp on earth and accidentally took a huge chunk of ground with them, so when they stopped they went "OH poo poo! Whoops!" as they saw a chunk of a city and a lake floating out in space next to their ship. I'd like to see that happen in Star Trek.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Barlow posted:

You take that back about Armada.

It's funny how Star Trek Online is simultaneously a total mess and oddly fun.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

MikeJF posted:

You take that back about Armada.

It's funny how Star Trek Online is simultaneously a total mess and oddly fun.

Space dinosaurs with laser beams on their heads will do that to you.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Tony Montana posted:

Forever War - Joe Haldeman. You've read it right? If no, go to Amazon now and get yourself an early Christmas present. You'll enjoy it, I assure you.

Yeah, I liked it a lot though I passed on the sequels. Another book that deals with some similar themes is House of Suns by Alastair Reynolds, which centers on members of a millions-of-years-old human civilization who basically has every technology they can think of except FTL.

Tighclops posted:

I was all set to sperg out and get into the Mass Effect series because so many people had recommended it to me as some cool space opera in the same tradition as trek, but the way they dumped on it in the end was so horrible I'm glad I dodged getting invested in it.

They're fun games and worth playing, even if they have some eye-rolling moments, and basically any sci-fi fan should give them a shot.

duck monster posted:

Well maybe. Theres still a number of serious boffins who think that Alberquerue (or whatever it is, abracadabra) warp drive idea might work, unnobtanium negative mass matter notwithstanding. That said a warp drive isn't actually FTL, its just making the distances shorter.

I'm skeptical but vaugely interested to see what nasas experiments with the concept will yield.

edit: Alcubierre

I only have a layman's understanding of this stuff, but from what I understand of what I've read, most tricks to get around the speed of light only address the increasing energy/mass problems, and don't actually solve any of the causality issues. Its always possible causality is just an illusion and doesn't actually exist, but if that's the case I don't even know what to think.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

So guys I finally made it and its rush week here at the Academy and I'm not sure which Squad I should pledge.

Nova Squad said something about doing illegal demonstration flying formations, but Red Squad said I'd get to be a child soldier on a Defiant Class ship for my Cadet cruise, and also something about helping implement martial law on Earth which sounds cool. I'm leaning toward Red Squad.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Otisburg posted:

So guys I finally made it and its rush week here at the Academy and I'm not sure which Squad I should pledge.

Nova Squad said something about doing illegal demonstration flying formations, but Red Squad said I'd get to be a child soldier on a Defiant Class ship for my Cadet cruise, and also something about helping implement martial law on Earth which sounds cool. I'm leaning toward Red Squad.

Let me put it this way: do you want to be in the same squad as Wesley Crusher, or be part of Red SQUAD, RED SQUAD, RED SQUAD RED SQUAD RED SQUADDDDDDDDD

Also if you see an old man tending to the Academy grounds make sure to kick him in his smug face :argh:

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 3, 2013

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Farecoal posted:

Red SQUAD, RED SQUAD, RED SQUAD RED SQUAD RED SQUADDDDDDDDD

Derek Smart DEREK SMART DEREK SMART

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

DoctorWhat posted:

DESKTOP COMMANDER

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Gonz posted:

DESKTOP COMMANDER

thank you, you stuck the landing. Someone got it.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

DoctorWhat posted:

Careful, you say that enough times and no Coke machine will come out alive

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Farecoal posted:

Red SQUAD, RED SQUAD, RED SQUAD RED SQUAD RED SQUADDDDDDDDD

I watched that episode today, and it made me wonder, if the cadet captain actually had a battlefield commission wouldn't the rank he gave Nog have been permanent?

At least he got a Red Squad lapel pin.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Gonz posted:

DESKTOP COMMANDER
I wonder what would happen if you installed that on a starship...

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Varance posted:

An awful lot of replicators will get punched/kicked to death.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
What if someone joined Red Squad for the connections but they really aspired to being a science officer or engineer?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

They're fun games and worth playing, even if they have some eye-rolling moments, and basically any sci-fi fan should give them a shot.

If nothing else, Mass Effect should be played for the awesome heavily Syd-Mead-inspired designs. This is the same design style that inspired a lot of TMP, but through a 21st century lens and without the limitations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I don't know why, but the Star Trek thread sends me down weird avenues of thought.

So there's a lot of stuff that's happened with hologram tech in the Star Trek universe. First the holodeck, a nice constrained environment. Then came the EMH. And all the holograms being created for various purposes by the end of Voyager. Doctors, commanders, miners all projected anywhere, anytime and "real" to the touch. This is all the stuff that's acceptable and good on a Starfleet vessel, which is basically military decorum.

But there's also a civilian populace on Earth... and that includes all the weirdos and pervs and creeps that Second Life attracts.

Do average people on Earth have access to holograms? Are there weird anime-style furry avatars superimposed over people? Are there stupid animal "familiars" floating about their shoulders, like a pegasus or a black cat with batwings? Are there any decency laws or is it considered part of the famous Federation tolerance of cultural difference to have people spamming holographic dicks on a public street? Is there a brony of the future? Does it ever get better?

I mean, I can seriously imagine some doofus in that idiotic Trek-style civilian clothing, waddling along Archer Street, thinking he's hot poo poo because he's got his sexy anime-style Vulcan/Japanese hologirlfriend next to him, programmed to be constantly and overtly in pon farr. She kisses him deeply, the magnetic fields aligning to exert pressure on the molecules of his lips and tongue. He squeezes a collection of programmed electromagnetic resistance points, a simulacrum of tender flesh. He is smugly confident in his eternal satisfaction, and yet even his twisted-up heartmind feels the insufficiency of it all and it tickles the back of his arousal with the first bile-frosted hints of nausea.

gently caress that poo poo.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Varance posted:

As long as you don't have caps lock on, everything will be fine. :confused:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Brawnfire posted:

He squeezes a collection of programmed electromagnetic resistance points, a simulacrum of tender flesh. He is smugly confident in his eternal satisfaction, and yet even his twisted-up heartmind feels the insufficiency of it all and it tickles the back of his arousal with the first bile-frosted hints of nausea.

If watching Mad Men has taught me anything it's that people will get to feeling those bile-frosted nausea tickles even with real people :v:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Brawnfire posted:

Do average people on Earth have access to holograms? Are there weird anime-style furry avatars superimposed over people? Are there stupid animal "familiars" floating about their shoulders, like a pegasus or a black cat with batwings? Are there any decency laws or is it considered part of the famous Federation tolerance of cultural difference to have people spamming holographic dicks on a public street? Is there a brony of the future? Does it ever get better?

No because Star Trek future is full of guys that read Shakesspeare and stroke their beard thusly.

Of the major properties, what you described would fit into...Blade Runner's future, maybe Star Wars on the city-worlds, almost certainly Hunger Games if they had holograms, and probably the hellish nightmare Earth from Avatar's cut scenes.

I hope future Avatars spend more time on Earth. Seeing Charlotte as overbuilt as Hong Kong was pretty awesome in a way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

DrSunshine posted:

What if someone joined Red Squad for the connections but they really aspired to being a science officer or engineer?

Obviously, they should have joined Blue Squad or Yellow Squad.

• Locked thread