Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

LastInLine posted:

I should mention the notification shade is available even on a locked device, but I don't think it's available on a securely locked device so you just need to turn the screen on to interact with the notifications.

I have been using a Nexus 7 for two weeks without realizing I could access notifications without unlocking. Thanks for the tip!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

Is Light Flow working well on 4.4 now? I stopped using it when I got my N5 but I kind of miss it.
Works perfectly and always has.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

LastInLine posted:

Works perfectly and always has.

It was pretty buggy when 4.4 came out to be fair but it was somewhat functional at least. It's fine now though.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is there no way to have the light stay on permanently any more? It has to flash?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I just got a new Galaxy S4.

It's a good phone, but something annoying has happened. In Gallery, there's no longer a way to send a photo via gmail. I tap "share" and there's no gmail option. Gmail is installed and working. What have I done?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
What options are available? Iirc it buries options that haven't been used recently, but should have them available when you click more.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

LastInLine posted:

Of course you also have the multicolor LED to alert you to notifications waiting and using something like Light Flow you can have different colors represent different notifications.

I just found this LED notification manager and it appears to be just as good if not a little better than Light Flow and its free!

Light Manager

XDA forum thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1735331

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

1st AD posted:

What options are available? Iirc it buries options that haven't been used recently, but should have them available when you click more.

Gmail is pretty much the only thing I'd ever click on that list, and I've only had the phone since Friday.

There are like 15+ options visible, google+, dropbox, ChatON, S Memo, etc. No gmail or even the generic "email" that was there.

e: This is what I see, there's most of another page of options too. I tried clearing Gallery's data and cache, it didn't help.

e: I dropboxed the screenshot to myself, so there's a workaround, sorta, but I'd like to be able to mail photos to people.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 3, 2013

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Parker Lewis posted:

I have been using a Nexus 7 for two weeks without realizing I could access notifications without unlocking. Thanks for the tip!

When you pull the shade down you can adjust your notification volume too

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

Decius posted:

Anyone know what "sensors.qcom" is, which some days takes up to 15 % of my battery power (especially if I don't use my phone much over the day) on my Nexus 5? I'd guess something to do with Qualcomm from the name, but googling doesn't bring up much either:

This program isn't using 15% of your battery. Those menu's need to be worded differently.

Go here for math and explanation: http://www.androidcentral.com/new-google-services-uses-more-battery-old-and-google-needs-fix-battery-screen-already

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

AlphaDog posted:

Gmail is pretty much the only thing I'd ever click on that list, and I've only had the phone since Friday.

There are like 15+ options visible, google+, dropbox, ChatON, S Memo, etc. No gmail or even the generic "email" that was there.

e: This is what I see, there's most of another page of options too. I tried clearing Gallery's data and cache, it didn't help.

e: I dropboxed the screenshot to myself, so there's a workaround, sorta, but I'd like to be able to mail photos to people.

Huh, if I tap-and-hold from gallery view then click "share", the gmail option is present. If I go to photo view and click share, it isn't.

Weird.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Samsung's gallery is weird. Here's what it looks like in a Nexus:

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Yeah, I'm kinda missing my Galaxy Nexus right now.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Binge posted:

This program isn't using 15% of your battery. Those menu's need to be worded differently.

Go here for math and explanation: http://www.androidcentral.com/new-google-services-uses-more-battery-old-and-google-needs-fix-battery-screen-already

That is some terrible math and explanation. Obviously if you have 73% battery left and screen shows 29%, that doesn't mean the screen burned 29% of your total battery capacity, that makes no sense. Nobody could possibly be confused by that battery screen in the way that the retarded Android blog writer thinks they are.

Instead, yes, that Qualcomm thing is using a potentially significant amount of the original guy's battery, since a consistent 15% drain from some unknown, possibly unimportant/unused process, is going to burn through the idle time battery life quite a bit more quickly than otherwise. Just Googling "sensors.qcom" autocompleted with some useful results ("battery drain", "Nexus 4"), and it is probably something like an app using GPS and keeping it active rather than closing when it should.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

RVProfootballer posted:

Nobody could possibly be confused by that battery screen in the way that the retarded Android blog writer thinks they are.

This. And if Google services at 15% of battery use with 73% battery capacity remaining didn't use 15% of the battery's total capacity :downs: let it go on at that rate down to zero capacity and it will have drained: 15%.

Edit: if those #s aren't all bs anyway. Always kinda thouhgt they might be.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 3, 2013

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Motorola feels bad about the website problems today and are planning on offering the deal again on Wed and next Mon.

http://www.androidcentral.com/motorola-will-offer-moto-x-deals-again-wednesday-next-monday

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Motorola feels bad about the website problems today and are planning on offering the deal again on Wed and next Mon.

http://www.androidcentral.com/motorola-will-offer-moto-x-deals-again-wednesday-next-monday

I wonder if the "more devices" part of this means they'll cut deals on the Droid Maxx developer edition too.

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope
So this is fun. I have an unlocked HTC One I bought from HTC directly. It got the 4.4 update yesterday night. My wife decides to do the update. She has an exchange account that requires a password to unlock the phone and also requires that your phone is encrypted. So first thing this morning the phone looks like it is off, so she powers it up, it pops up with the little puzzle piece android and asks for the encryption password. After you put it in, it rebooted/shut down (I forget which) a second or two later.

So my wife needs her phone for work, I don't know what to do, it was before HTC support is available at 8am, so I look up how to get to the bootloader and factory reset the thing so that she will at least be able to make calls. After the factory reset, the phone is at Android 4.4, so apparently the update worked.

When she gets home, she wants me to fix her exchange email, so I try to set it back up, and everything goes okay until I get to the part where it wants to encrypt everything. It acts fine, then as soon as it starts encrypting, after a second or two it reboots itself. And then when it boots up, things look normal, but Exchange won't sync. When you check the status pulldown, it has a message "Exchange required some... - Tap to enable" and when you select it, it goes back into the Exchange security policy process and tries to encrypt again, which fails, and it reboots, etc.

So I call HTC tonight, and explain it to them, they have me go through the bootloader and get to some screen where I can clear some cache. That doesn't help. The tech support guy's advice is to use different exchange software. The only other idea he has is that there is something wrong with the exchange server (it worked fine before the update, so that isn't it).

So HTC was completely useless. The tech support guy said I was the first person that he had heard from that had an HTC One with 4.4, and when I told him the software version he said it was an "international" version. How the gently caress I got that here in the US, I don't know.

I saw some other issues with Exchange ActiveSync for other phones (http://windowsitpro.com/blog/kitkat-causes-activesync-headaches-android-users), and I found at least one person saying "AVOID this update if your phone is encrypted. It probably WILL NOT WORK and you will be forced to factory reset. Once you factory reset, you don’t seem to be able to get encryption back…" which is exactly what happened to me.

Please let me know if you have any ideas for me, my wife is going to be kinda mad that she can't get her email, and that I wiped her Happy Street savegame (don't ask me why she doesn't know the password to her account, I'm sure it's my fault somehow).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

kitten smoothie posted:

I wonder if the "more devices" part of this means they'll cut deals on the Droid Maxx developer edition too.

I think it just means they are going to sell more total devices at the sale price, not that they are going to expand the lineup. Tech blogs jumping to conclusions again.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

AlphaDog posted:

I had a moment's confusion my n4, the gmail button has moved next to the share button (like, before you press the share button, gmail icon is visible) on mine.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cakefool posted:

I had a moment's confusion my n4, the gmail button has moved next to the share button (like, before you press the share button, gmail icon is visible) on mine.
That's the most recent app you shared to, but Samsung probably don't have it because Change Everything™.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

AlphaDog posted:

Huh, if I tap-and-hold from gallery view then click "share", the gmail option is present. If I go to photo view and click share, it isn't.

Weird.

If you want default Android behavior you always have the option of installing Gallery KK from the market. It's basically just a port of the 4.4 gallery that can run on any device. $1 to remove ads.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Anyone with a Nexus 5 have a camera app to recommend? Or is the slow shutter beyond software fixes?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Thanks to the people that talked about Lux in this thread. I downloaded it the other day and it made using my Nexus 5 so much better. Man the default auto brightness behavior sucked.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Hey Android thread, I've got a question. I just got and activated my shiny new Nexus 5 on T-Mobile, upgrading from a Droid X on Verizon. Is there anything I should know after not looking at new phones or following development for 3 years? Assume I lived under a rock.

Also, are there any apps I should really get? I see people talking about Lux, which I'll grab today, but other recommendations would be awesome.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

So I got my HTC One Saturday finally and that only thing that will make me give this phone up is upgrading to the Max. God this phone is perfect. Good rear end battery life, screen, speakers (!!!cant be stated enough how good they are), and smoothness. I upgraded from a iPhone 4 i've had since 2010. Everything is pretty intuitive. Have all my apps and texts thanks to HTC Sync Manager and even more specific apps that are awesome (Like the better awful and last pass). Running stock with nova launcher. Haven't quite got a hang of widgets yet. The only bad thing again is the purple camera which im debating if I wanna try to exchange or not.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Nice, I just got an email from Google that my replacement phone is on its way. That was a lot quicker than the estimated 2-3 weeks.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

RBX posted:

So I got my HTC One Saturday finally and that only thing that will make me give this phone up is upgrading to the Max. God this phone is perfect. Good rear end battery life, screen, speakers (!!!cant be stated enough how good they are), and smoothness. I upgraded from a iPhone 4 i've had since 2010. Everything is pretty intuitive. Have all my apps and texts thanks to HTC Sync Manager and even more specific apps that are awesome (Like the better awful and last pass). Running stock with nova launcher. Haven't quite got a hang of widgets yet. The only bad thing again is the purple camera which im debating if I wanna try to exchange or not.

Just curious, did you buy a GPe HTC One or a reg. running sense? If the former why are you running Nova Launcher?

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

thebushcommander posted:

Just curious, did you buy a GPe HTC One or a reg. running sense? If the former why are you running Nova Launcher?

Judging by how he's talking about HTC Sync and other proprietary HTC software I'm sure he's got the carrier version.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Is there any way to get rid of the silk screened "Beats Audio" and AT&T logo on the back of my HTC One? Worried about scratching up that sexy aluminum but those logos look like rear end.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

regulargonzalez posted:

Is there any way to get rid of the silk screened "Beats Audio" and AT&T logo on the back of my HTC One? Worried about scratching up that sexy aluminum but those logos look like rear end.

rubbing alcohol?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

regulargonzalez posted:

Acetone won't damage aluminum, but don't let it touch the plastic parts.

zapateria
Feb 16, 2003

Cassa posted:

Anyone with a Nexus 5 have a camera app to recommend? Or is the slow shutter beyond software fixes?

If you mean shutter speed as in camera-jargon shutter speed, you are unable to control that in software.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Nova or apex, any preference?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Cakefool posted:

Nova. The developer is responsive and updates are fast, plus there's a beta version you use if you want to see new features first.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Cakefool posted:

Stock kitkat with GPE.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Stock kitkat with GPE.

Got that, have the need to fiddle with layout. Plus I'd prefer a scrolling app drawer, little things like that. I'll try nova.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Don Lapre posted:

Stock kitkat with GPE.

GPE is terrible. Poor use of screen real estate, and it feels like iOS6 with google now on the left. No customization. You actually prefer it over a launcher with options?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Don Lapre posted:

Stock kitkat with GPE.
No. Nova went on my N5 immediately. The stock Launcher doesn't have anywhere near enough flexibility for me. Paged app drawer? No. Just no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Stock Kit Kat with GPE is ideal, actually. Everything you need, nothing you don't.

• Locked thread