Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I'm odd, but I am expending zero effort on Top Shot placement and getting top 15 on Unstable. Not so much for the Sue Storm but for the 500 HP going with it. I'm debating if I have the energy to try to get up to 800 for the Heroic token.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

There really is no point in actually fighting outside the last 20 minutes or so of these tournaments. I stopped trying a couple hours ago and since then I've harmlessly bounced back and forth between rank 3 and 4 as everyone else picks at each other, which is the same spot I was stuck in when I was actually trying to fight.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Erebus posted:

There really is no point in actually fighting outside the last 20 minutes or so of these tournaments. I stopped trying a couple hours ago and since then I've harmlessly bounced back and forth between rank 3 and 4 as everyone else picks at each other, which is the same spot I was stuck in when I was actually trying to fight.

That's because once you hit the ceiling you are not actually gaining points and are often just backsliding. I feel like something needs to change or people are going to start losing interest in actually trying in these events.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It ostensibly works inside of long-term ranking like the Shield Training (that nobody cares about ranking for) where you actually have enough time to settle into pockets of power levels, but in the short-term events it's just a last minute rush to be the final person to gain points because as you say - whoever's on top is only on top to be toppled.

On that vein - I'm #2 in my bracket and the top guy is 150 points ahead of me. Then I rolled him as a random opponent - hoping like hell he's in for a battle of attrition only I can win :getin:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Jibo posted:

E: The worst part is that I have to work at 6:00 AM the day after each event ends so if I want to stay competitive it means staying up until 5.5 hours before I have to get up for work.

Fortunately, I work an odd 12-9 shift at the moment, so late night Sunday is a great time for video games. I'm so drat nervous about this Top Shot tournament. This stuff was so beyond me last week, but I'm holding steady in the top 5 of the 11-25 bracket for triple Bullseye covers. I think I'm a good 80 points ahead of #25, but I have no idea if I'm just gonna get ganked mercilessly these last few minutes.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Well I joined the hawkeye tournament in the last 26 minutes and ended up in 3rd place with 626 points. Slacker brackets for life.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Taking a screenshot of this guy is probably all I'll be able to do with him for months.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:toot: I now have a 1/1/0 Xforcerine.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I hit my target reward, but I don't think it told me where I ended up in the rankings. It looked like all the squabbling was over the Iron Man 40 covers, and I'm really not crazy about him.

Now that I have some extra iso, should I focus on leveling the Bullseye I've got at 3/3 after the tournament, or the 3/1 Daken I've pieced together and hope for more covers?

Actually, I have about 600 HP saved up, too. Should I save up 1250 for another level of my 1/1/0 Spiderman or Red Ragnarok? Or work on maxing Thor? I put in 20 bucks, so I already have 20 cover slots. Not sure what to do with it right now.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Erebus posted:

Taking a screenshot of this guy is probably all I'll be able to do with him for months.

Congrats!

I was in a good spot near the end, but got crabbed down somewhere into just the top 10. Which sucks. I would rather have gotten the three Bullseye covers than the one Iron Man 40...maybe. Oh well. I did manage to pull a Wolvy X-Force off a heroic earlier today, so now mine is at 2 covers as well.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

The thing about IM40 is that he has the most hp out of any 3* character, and his tile damage is a near 70 in his best tiles. He is might to scare people away when I'm on defense.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Phenotype posted:

I hit my target reward, but I don't think it told me where I ended up in the rankings. It looked like all the squabbling was over the Iron Man 40 covers, and I'm really not crazy about him.

Now that I have some extra iso, should I focus on leveling the Bullseye I've got at 3/3 after the tournament, or the 3/1 Daken I've pieced together and hope for more covers?

Actually, I have about 600 HP saved up, too. Should I save up 1250 for another level of my 1/1/0 Spiderman or Red Ragnarok? Or work on maxing Thor? I put in 20 bucks, so I already have 20 cover slots. Not sure what to do with it right now.

I have a 5/5 Daken at l53 right now, and while he has no active powers he gets absurdly powerful at middle levels. 2 or 3 green matches will have you doing 2-300 damage per color match with Crits of 700+. He also covers the useless Black and Pink tiles that you hate when you use a normal Thorm team. I can see him being outpaced easily at endgame but he owns if you only have a few 30/40 level characters.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010

Shwqa posted:

Well I joined the hawkeye tournament in the last 26 minutes and ended up in 3rd place with 626 points. Slacker brackets for life.

I love slacker brackets but I also love to play this game, life is hard.

I got -42 right as Top shot tourney came to a close but still retained top 5 which is all I needed since I have all my IM40 yellows already. His level cap is now 102, yay!

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

I was also doing the Top Shot tournament and I was 2nd and got crabbed down to 5th in like the last five minutes of the game. Why didn't I join the slacker bracket? :negative:

Also I want to spend money on this game because I like it and want to support the devs but everything is so expensive :negative:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Critical posted:

I have a 5/5 Daken at l53 right now, and while he has no active powers he gets absurdly powerful at middle levels. 2 or 3 green matches will have you doing 2-300 damage per color match with Crits of 700+. He also covers the useless Black and Pink tiles that you hate when you use a normal Thorm team. I can see him being outpaced easily at endgame but he owns if you only have a few 30/40 level characters.

Daken is a decent character. We were starting to rave about him, but that is around the time all of us started getting a high level wolverine. Wolverine outclasses daken in every way, so we just gave up on him. Stacking strike tiles is the key to victory for a lot of us on here. I was taking out level 112 ragnaroks with med level spideys on my Thor wolverine team, just because once you get that strike tile train moving it is hard to stop you.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Ten thousand points, and I'm in 17th place. Some people were poopsocking last night, I see.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Ha ha. The IM40 tournament is called Double Shot.

matryx
Jul 22, 2005

I think I just had an evilgasm...

delfin posted:

Ten thousand points, and I'm in 17th place. Some people were poopsocking last night, I see.

No need to poop-sock when you can play on the toilet.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
Looks like double shot ends at a weird time too, I think it's 9 hours later than normal tournament end time. 3am for me woo. Although I think the reason they're running it twice is to have a more normal end time the second go around?

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
It took 11000 points to secure it, but I got my Sue Storm green and blue. Now I just have to remember why, beyond the 500 HP.

Is it just me, or does her head look like it's just a bit... off? Like they gave her a neck two sizes too large or put an Invisible Woman head on the wrong action figure.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

delfin posted:

It took 11000 points to secure it, but I got my Sue Storm green and blue. Now I just have to remember why, beyond the 500 HP.

Is it just me, or does her head look like it's just a bit... off? Like they gave her a neck two sizes too large or put an Invisible Woman head on the wrong action figure.

I think the neck is the problem. It's really long, comparatively speaking, and it was really jarring for me as soon as I got my covers. She just looks awkward.

brother-joseph
Jan 1, 2009

:lol:MARINES:lol:
Bla bla bla I'm too slow.

Edit - Sue Storm DOES look weird AND has really terrible level 1 skills.

OldNorthBridge
Jul 23, 2003

Take your medicine!

I've been following this thread from pretty early on and I am really, really digging this game. Far more than I probably should. I ground the stuffing out of that last Red ISO event in a pretty competitive bracket and managed to squeak into the 48th spot and snag myself an Invisible Woman 4* cover. Now I can watch it collect dust right next to my Wolverine 4* cover!

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

If you left game on the red ISO event screen before the tournament ended, when you come back you should still be on the world map with one mission open that you can do. Managed to get one more Cap cover out of that.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Anyone ever restart their game? I spread out my ISO way too thin, spent HP on lotteries, and destroyed some basic covers that I'm really hurting for now in the early game. I'm only a few days in so if there's an easy way to do it, I'd like to.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

No, but its not that big a deal in the long run. There'll be lots more cheap events and stuff, Lightning rounds will dump standard lottery tokens on you in the late week, iso comes pretty regularly.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
So I somehow managed to get into the top 10 of the Red ISO event and gently caress me it nearly burnt me out. I have a job and wife, I don't have time to poopsock like that anymore, Christ the people at the top must have been grinding out the repeatable missions non-stop.

My new tactic is to wait until the tourneys have less than a day and then just play a bit and see where I land.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010

Dravs posted:

So I somehow managed to get into the top 10 of the Red ISO event and gently caress me it nearly burnt me out. I have a job and wife, I don't have time to poopsock like that anymore, Christ the people at the top must have been grinding out the repeatable missions non-stop.

My new tactic is to wait until the tourneys have less than a day and then just play a bit and see where I land.

I know right. I woke at 7am up this morning at 15th place and started to grind, seeing 5th place as attainable thinking that 5th place got 3 covers, due to mistaking it with the previous event where 5th still had the desirable rewards bracket. Then upon reaching 7th place I realised my error and went back to sleep. (Tourney ended at 9am my time)

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
Thor/Wolverine(/Daken)/Bullseye Defense team is a go :unsmigghh:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hahahah Invisible Woman with 1 green is terrible.

Gather 14? green. Drop a force bubble. Build up that amount of green again to trigger it. :cripes:

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Yeah, but triggering it might do damage in THREE FIGURES!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

There's very few characters who are worth anything at base level with a single level 1 skill.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I could have gotten the top 3 in the red iso event.. but the drat thing ended while I was still at work. Now I only got 2 of the damnable invisible woman powers. It'll probably be in the store next week anyway though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I get the feeling she'll just end up as another weird utility character... like Bag-Man. Must be a curse on those FF costumes or something.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Any thoughts on optimal CStorm builds? I'm at 3/3/3 now with a new red cover from the event - any reason to hold off on training it in?

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
Just got my PC Beta invite!

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010

Ratatozsk posted:

Any thoughts on optimal CStorm builds? I'm at 3/3/3 now with a new red cover from the event - any reason to hold off on training it in?

I used to think 5/4/4 but now I'm all 3/5/5 because gently caress using green for anything but Wolverine - I thought CStorm was Green, Blue, Yellow though. Do you mean MStorm? In that case I like 5/3/5 but a lot of people prefer 5/5/3 or 5/4/4

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010

WetSpink posted:

Just got my PC Beta invite!

UI is pretty slick, enemy powers flash when they're ready too, which is nice!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=200371488

Screenshot above has the UI including the Pistol attack for the henchmen lit up. Not sure how to link my FB account yet, might have to finish tutorial or something first.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What's it build around, IAP (ahahaha) or as a regular game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Ratatozsk posted:

I'm partial to 3-5-5. Lightning Storm is useful but doesn't do all that much damage, so Wind Storm and Raging Tempest are worth pushing to the moon.

Got my Model 40 token from Double Shot, and of course it was yellow. Chucked it.

Maybe the Yellow power for Invisible Woman will be useful in the metagame somewhere down the line, though at a minimum of 19 Yellow AP I'm not sure how. At $100 to skillmax her at the moment I don't think anyone's about to find out.

I am REALLY getting tired of IM40 being pushed over and over and over again. I realize that they either needed to nerf Storm Classic or provide countermeasures, but he's boring to fight against and not a very good character design.