Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Just so we're clear, i get that we should move comic-centric discussion to the BSS. But what if I'm writing up my thoughts on the next episode and 90% of my post is talking about the show, but at the end I go "Also cool to see the reference to Amazo with the boat."

Is that still kosher or is it a very literal NO DC UNIVERSE rule?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I don't know if I buy that she wasn't planned as part of the team from the beginning, but even with that in mind it seemed pretty obvious (or maybe it was just me) that the cute blonde girl who's the show's comic relief and just happens to have the ability to provide Ollie with the exact kind of help he needs is going to join him.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Just so we're clear, i get that we should move comic-centric discussion to the BSS. But what if I'm writing up my thoughts on the next episode and 90% of my post is talking about the show, but at the end I go "Also cool to see the reference to Amazo with the boat."

You're spoiling the ship's transformation into a superpowered robot.

Very little of the comics chat is over the spoiler line in actually being able to predict things that'll happen that the producers haven't otherwise made public. The unspoiled discussion of stuff from Amell's Facebook though is clearly over the line, and I'd like to apologize for my part in it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Dexo posted:

Hillarious enough Felicity is pretty much a name they pulled only as a reference because she does computer stuff. And she wasn't a given to join. IIRC they promoted her because fan response to her was high.

Well, that, and after a couple of scenes together, Amell made a phone call and basically said "Hey, I don't know if you're seeing this in the dailies, but it feels like Emily and I have insane chemistry together. If you get a chance to bring her back, I think you should."

And then the producers smiled, because Amell already gave more of a poo poo about this show than Tom Welling did about his.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DivisionPost posted:

Well, that, and after a couple of scenes together, Amell made a phone call and basically said "Hey, I don't know if you're seeing this in the dailies, but it feels like Emily and I have insane chemistry together. If you get a chance to bring her back, I think you should."

And then the producers smiled, because Amell already gave more of a poo poo about this show than Tom Welling did about his.

Amell named his winery after the show. I think he gives more of a poo poo about Arrow than anyone on Smallville did about that show combined.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Narcissus1916 posted:

That kind of thing is totally fine.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The joke is on all of you. Turns out Sara is Deathstroke, too. Also Nightwing. And Grundy. And Flash.

By the end of season 3 every character is Sara Lance.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Phylodox posted:

The joke is on all of you. Turns out Sara is Deathstroke, too. Also Nightwing. And Grundy. And Flash.

So, Orphan Arrow? I'm sold. :colbert:

VVVV How did I not see that. :cripes:

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 3, 2013

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
:colbert: Orphan Green. :colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yes please.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Phylodox posted:

I would definitely want to watch Tatiana Maslany suddenly play a bunch of DCU villains all at the same time.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Preview clip from Thursday's episode.

Two days bicheeeees~

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

Hrm. Not so sure how I feel about Barry's personality. Granted, you have to give the guy a minute to find his voice, but it's not quite what I was expecting.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

DivisionPost posted:

Was Tom Welling always such a fuckwit? Or did something happen to sour him on his role in smallville? He seems like such an idiot who hasn't done anything of note since.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Barry in that clip is such a dork, I love it. He's like a male Felicity. I'm pretty excited to see where he goes from here.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

Was Tom Welling always such a fuckwit? Or did something happen to sour him on his role in smallville? He seems like such an idiot who hasn't done anything of note since.

Idiots get plenty of work in Hollywood. Wikipedia says he has 2 movies coming out.

He did do the show for like 11 years, maybe he just wanted to take a break for a while after it ended.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

:raise: "Do your parents know that you're here?" :laffo:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Respecting the mods ruling on staying away from Comic discussion and the Bleeding Cool supposed teaser about stuff coming up in season 2 my personal opinion is that both Shado and Slade could easily make it off the island alive and start showing up in the present day show.
As far back as season 1, Ollie says to Digg when asked about the notebook, that Ollie verified it's authenticity from a message his dad left him off the island.
I took that as meaning that at some stage, maybe the end of year 2 or 3, Ollie will leave the island, do some Russian stuff and then return to the island.
I'm putting that down as my prediction.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

The Question IRL posted:

Respecting the mods ruling on staying away from Comic discussion and the Bleeding Cool supposed teaser about stuff coming up in season 2 my personal opinion is that both Shado and Slade could easily make it off the island alive and start showing up in the present day show.
As far back as season 1, Ollie says to Digg when asked about the notebook, that Ollie verified it's authenticity from a message his dad left him off the island.
I took that as meaning that at some stage, maybe the end of year 2 or 3, Ollie will leave the island, do some Russian stuff and then return to the island.
I'm putting that down as my prediction.

I'm 99.9% sure Slade is still alive. Shado I give probably a 3% chance of being alive. Maybe Shado's death caused Ollie and Slade to split or something like that.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

This episode is gonna be great :allears:

'Sorry I'm late' :haw:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
If you didn't like that enough, here! Have it in comic form! (Spoilers for tomorrow's episode obviously, as it's a comic form of that preview clip)

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

The Lord Bude posted:

Welling's biggest issue was his fear of being typecast as Superman, to the extent that they ended up having to CGI a suit onto him in the series finale because he refused to actually put one on. So, congrats to Welling for ensuring that he'll always be typecast as the guy who played Clark Kent instead. I wonder if Smallville would have been changed for the better if an actor with Amell's enthusiasm ended up playing Clark. Would there have been a few seasons of full-blown Superman instead of a guy in a leather jacket running around with most of Superman's powers?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

hcreight posted:

Welling's biggest issue was his fear of being typecast as Superman, to the extent that they ended up having to CGI a suit onto him in the series finale because he refused to actually put one on. So, congrats to Welling for ensuring that he'll always be typecast as the guy who played Clark Kent instead. I wonder if Smallville would have been changed for the better if an actor with Amell's enthusiasm ended up playing Clark. Would there have been a few seasons of full-blown Superman instead of a guy in a leather jacket running around with most of Superman's powers?

Maybe, but the guys who did seasons 1-7 had a rule of no flying no tights.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
So Alan Sepinwall caught up on Arrow after a lot of reader recommendations and had a lot of nice things to say about it. He also pointed out something funny that I never noticed outright before but is totally true in retrospect: Oliver never moves his arms when he's in his civvies.

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/you-have-not-failed-this-city-catching-up-on-the-cws-fun-arrow

Reality
Sep 26, 2010

hcreight posted:

So Alan Sepinwall caught up on Arrow after a lot of reader recommendations and had a lot of nice things to say about it. He also pointed out something funny that I never noticed outright before but is totally true in retrospect: Oliver never moves his arms when he's in his civvies.

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/you-have-not-failed-this-city-catching-up-on-the-cws-fun-arrow

I always assumed his clothes were too tight and not made for superheroes.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Reality posted:

I always assumed his clothes were too tight and not made for superheroes.

Yeah he Clarke just doesn't want to accidentally tear up his wardrobe.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

hcreight posted:

Would work better if someone ever commented on him being totally ripped when he got back from the island

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

hcreight posted:

Oliver never moves his arms when he's in his civvies.

I figured that the actor was just constantly sore from all his Salmon ladder workouts that he just couldn't move his arms if he didn't have to.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Just noticed this, but you do know that Amellsday is Wednesday, right?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I posted that last night mofo. Gotta keep up. :flashfact:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

BrianWilly posted:

I posted that last night mofo. Gotta keep up. :flashfact:

Looks like somebody's left with Rock Salt Slushie in their face. :smuggo:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I_have_failed_this_city.txt :saddowns:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
New clip!

Barry gets all :science: and :swoon: over the vigilante. It is adorable. :3:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aphrodite posted:

Well that's part of what I was saying. They expect you to know it, but they're not necessarily following it.

If you don't know the canon you don't know when they subvert it though.

To be fair, they have retconned and/or reinvented Green Arrow in the books so much it becomes a moot point anyway. the current Green Arrow books are completely different to the old ones.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Spergatory posted:

New clip!

Ok, I laughed at the "He penetrates just fine :colbert:"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rocksicles posted:

To be fair, they have retconned and/or reinvented Green Arrow in the books so much it becomes a moot point anyway. the current Green Arrow books are completely different to the old ones.

The goofy thing about the current Green Arrow comics is that they're actually taking cues from the show, considering they just introduced Dig, who did not exist before the show.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The Batman comics swiped Harley Quinn and Renee Montoya from the animated series, so it's not like there isn't a precedent.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

The goofy thing about the current Green Arrow comics is that they're actually taking cues from the show, considering they just introduced Dig, who did not exist before the show.

Is Andy Diggle still on that book? It'd be weird to write for a character that taken from a show that was named after you for writing the comic book :psyduck:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

Is Andy Diggle still on that book? It'd be weird to write for a character that taken from a show that was named after you for writing the comic book :psyduck:

No Jeff Lemire is the current writer and he is doing a great job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Spergatory posted:

New clip!

Wow. This clip was all :D :D :D :heysexy: :D :D and then :smith: :unsmith:

• Locked thread