Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Colton posted:

I have to do my proficiency for EA and afterwards i go through the FC degree. I am going in completely blind since i don't think i've read or heard anything about what goes on. This should be exciting and hopefully i'll be more relaxed than during my initiation (which was only a month ago... drat that's fast) since i feel more comfortable in lodge. Wish me luck brothers!

Good luck, the second degree is a lot of fun, but it's like getting blasted with a firehose full of information :)

---

In other news, I received my 14th degree ring yesterday and I'm so happy about it. I don't even know why, there's just something so beautiful and classy about the gold ring with a triangle and yod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Good luck, Colton. I'm up for it next week and did my rehearsal for it last night. Also, 1 month between really is fast!

lone77wulf
Jan 11, 2005

UC Special Task Force Unit Operative
Did my EA proficiency Wednesday night, which was lodge election night. Until after the meeting, I had no clue that almost 3/4 of the brothers in attendance were PMs, and that the DDGM and the just prior DDGM were there. I don't think I would have been as good if I had know, I only stumbled 3 times.

Colton
Mar 30, 2003

Member of the Kevin Smith look-alikes local #45317
Did a very good job and was passed to fellow craft. Now to memorize even more stuff

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
So, tonight I'm to be passed to FC. And surprisingly, several books arrived today ahead of schedule, as they weren't meant to arrive for another two weeks. Among them? Th eCraft and Its Symbols, and Mackey's Jurisprudence of Freemasonry. I'm almost inclined to call this a sign.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

MB13 posted:

Speaking of Br. de Hoyos, he just posted this picture on his Facebook and I think I peed a little. The House of the Temple's Library. Definitely on my bucket list.

So here's an Ask, What are some texts that are typically in a Mason library? IS there generally a library in a lodge-house? Cool philosophical stuff or secret Lizard-man doctrine?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Not all lodges have an attached library, though the older lodges are more likely to and Grand Lodges generally do. My understanding is they contain both texts of minimal interest to non-Masons (e.g. theories on the origin of parts of rituals or particular symbols, books like the Jurisprudence of Freemasonry, etc) and broader philosophical and historical collections focused on masonry. So, both, but our secret lizard-man doctrine is actually the less interesting of the two.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Neat, I was installed as Junior Warden in Triad Council #286 of the Allied Masonic Degrees last night.

We try to put on one degree a year, and I think I'm going to be degree captain this year, and I think we're doing Grand Tilers of Solomon. That should be fun! If anyone is familiar with the Select Master degree in the York Rite, or the 6th degree (Intimate Secretary) in the Scottish Rite, apparently the GToS degree is similar to those. I'm looking forward to it.

Next month I'll be installed in a couple other bodies :)

KweezNArt
Jul 30, 2007
Getting pumped for Sr. Steward installation, here. Am more terrified at the notion of having to be responsible for feeding the goatlodge than I am for having to memorize anything.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

KweezNArt posted:

Getting pumped for Sr. Steward installation, here. Am more terrified at the notion of having to be responsible for feeding the goatlodge than I am for having to memorize anything.

If anything goes wrong, blame the Jr. Steward. poo poo rolls down hill.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
I found out that my grandpa is a freemason, so I'm thinking of joining a chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star (since I'm goonette).

Just a couple of questions:

- My friend who's in another chapter of OES says that she has to remain closeted, since her chapter does not allow lesbian women to participate. Is this true for most chapters?
- How much do dues usually run?
- If I don't get into one chapter, can I try to join another? I'd like to get into the chapter closer to where I live. I went to a dinner with them and everyone was really great! I've been talking on the phone with an older member for the past couple of months and she's super sweet, and she told me to call her later this week. But if I don't get the three signatures, I'd like to try for my friend's chapter since she could vouch for me.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
1. It is not and I would say that sort of restriction would be against the laws of the OES, but maybe your area has a bylaw that allows such interpretation. That is not how Star should be.

2. $8.50 compared to my lodge dues of $45, but that will vary between districts and states.

3. No, you don't get marked with the secret shame sign for not getting into a chapter. To be honest, I've never known someone not to receive the signatures unless they were arrested after petitioning.

OES is a great organization and I hope you find yourself enjoying a membership soon.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Super late notice to any and all Seattle Masons or traveling brethren, but my lodge will be hosting a Masonic Memorial for a Past Grand Master this Saturday the 23rd. The GL is putting the event on, we are simply hosts but it sounds like there is be a PGM memorial team put together that has a presentation to do. I have not personally been to a Masonic Funeral or Memorial so I am quite intrigued, I figured I would extend the invitation as I know it's not everyday we put to rest a PGM. Any interested please PM me and I'll forward details to you.

My apologies for the late notice, but we only approved it last night at the stated.

stik
Apr 19, 2008

Hi guys! I did my EA up in NJ and then moved back to San Antonio and I want to continue on with my degree work. Any suggestions for a lodge here in San Antonio? I travel quite a bit for work and that has really gotten in the way of my degree work but I hope to get some time next year to get them done. TIA

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

1 posted:

Is that from a catalog for masonic ceremonies contraptions or something?

They are on to us!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
What kind of Podunk lodge uses a mechanical goat? That's straight up some poser Oddfellows business.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
That catalogue, and others, is actually available for kindle as a great book, if anyone wants to read about what the other fraternal orders used to do for their initiations and ceremonies. Some of it sounds like great fun.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

legsarerequired posted:

- My friend who's in another chapter of OES says that she has to remain closeted, since her chapter does not allow lesbian women to participate. Is this true for most chapters?

Could you PM me the information of this member of OES? I'm not going to out anyone or anything but I want to do some research.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

Mr. Maltose posted:

What kind of Podunk lodge uses a mechanical goat? That's straight up some poser Oddfellows business.

I imagine most urban lodges don't have access to livestock, and since many lodges have had to convert their Goat Rooms to Rooms of Preparation, it's gotten harder to get a real goat in the city lodges.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Effingham posted:

I imagine most urban lodges don't have access to livestock, and since many lodges have had to convert their Goat Rooms to Rooms of Preparation, it's gotten harder to get a real goat in the city lodges.

Urban goats is becoming a thing these days. Our secretary keeps a roster of local goats so we know which goats have participated in which degrees. The typical urban goat gets only slightly traumatized in the EA ceremony, just like the EA. On the other hand it takes a fairly toughened nanny to make it through an entire officer installation without seizing.

Durette
Feb 6, 2012

I have an idiot coworker who after repeatedly and politely being told "no" keeps asking some of us to join the Masons. Trust me, nobody has ever asked him about being a mason. It's already being addressed through the weak-rear end HR system, but he's the boss's son and the whole place is chock full of satan worshiping bricklayers. :tinfoil:

Any secret code words or finger symbols that mean "stop pestering the hell out of somebody about joining or you get sacrificed to the goat lord"?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Have another coworker who's also a Brother talk to him? A prompt reminder from a fellow member of the craft might have more effect.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Durette posted:

I have an idiot coworker who after repeatedly and politely being told "no" keeps asking some of us to join the Masons. Trust me, nobody has ever asked him about being a mason. It's already being addressed through the weak-rear end HR system, but he's the boss's son and the whole place is chock full of satan worshiping bricklayers. :tinfoil:

Any secret code words or finger symbols that mean "stop pestering the hell out of somebody about joining or you get sacrificed to the goat lord"?

Your idiot coworker is a mason asking around to get others to join? Serious bad form right over there.
Your HR system is failing as well the lodge he is part of, harassing fellow workers regarding matter of faith is never good and it does not matter if he is a mason, a mormon, muslim, pagan, christian, Sikh, buddhist, katholic, worshiping Nordic gods or whatever. Would you accept the same if he would be asking you to come to his church next Sunday if you yourself were an atheist?

Anyway, try telling him it is considered very bad form to ask others to join and if that does not shut him up reconsider your employment?

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma
Why aren't his brothers keeping this idiot in line? I've never heard of this sort of thing happening before. (Although I'm sure it has)

Durette
Feb 6, 2012

Well, like I said, this is the boss's son and the boss is very, very deep into the masonry. As in office is covered with all kinds of plaques and crap. I doubt that any of the other mason employees would be willing to stir something up, more because of the mason politics than the office politics?

It's not such a big deal that I would leave my job or anything, it's more of a personal pet peeve since I came from a place where there is a deep distrust bordering on violent mob of all things masonic.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Is your boss aware of what his son is doing? If not, telling him would probably stop that poo poo on a dime.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Durette posted:

Well, like I said, this is the boss's son and the boss is very, very deep into the masonry. As in office is covered with all kinds of plaques and crap. I doubt that any of the other mason employees would be willing to stir something up, more because of the mason politics than the office politics?

It's not such a big deal that I would leave my job or anything, it's more of a personal pet peeve since I came from a place where there is a deep distrust bordering on violent mob of all things masonic.

I don't think it's any great secret, so I'm just gonna say it straight up: Masonry doesn't recruit, people who are asked to join (rather than seeking it out on their own) are questionably able to answer one of the very first questions we ask before making anyone a new Mason. If the guy's dad / your boss is a Mason, just go straight to the boss and say "hey, this guy is soliciting people to join Masonry, and he's pressuring us to do it." It should stop.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Durette posted:

I came from a place where there is a deep distrust bordering on violent mob of all things masonic.

Where is this place? It sounds scary.

Durette
Feb 6, 2012

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I don't know that going straight to the boss is a good idea, but I'll bring it up to a coworker who might have a better go at it.

Snowy posted:

Where is this place? It sounds scary.

This is most of the midwest. The small town, predominantly Catholic & Lutheran, secret society hating midwest.

I think a lot of it has to do with Progressive Era and distrust of most things east coast that came from that. The whole "secret" concept coupled with the love of large ornate buildings just doesn't play too well. Why wear an apron and memorize a bunch of baloney to put on a pancake supper? It just isn't very small town midwest.

This is also the same area of the country that wasn't too keen on the mormons at about the same time, so I think it was kind of a big tent violent mob mentality, not single issue voters.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Bow before the might of the Clarkson!

Durette posted:

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I don't know that going straight to the boss is a good idea, but I'll bring it up to a coworker who might have a better go at it.

This is most of the midwest. The small town, predominantly Catholic & Lutheran, secret society hating midwest.

I think a lot of it has to do with Progressive Era and distrust of most things east coast that came from that. The whole "secret" concept coupled with the love of large ornate buildings just doesn't play too well. Why wear an apron and memorize a bunch of baloney to put on a pancake supper? It just isn't very small town midwest.

This is also the same area of the country that wasn't too keen on the mormons at about the same time, so I think it was kind of a big tent violent mob mentality, not single issue voters.

I've lived in the midwest (Ohio) my entire life, and for a part of it in the town where Jospeh Smith and his wife were tarred and feathered and I've never come across anti-Masonic sentiments like you are talking about. Never once has anyone even mentioned Masonry at all in a workplace or institution I have been at and whenever I would say anything, most people had absolutely no clue who we even are. It is quite interesting that you have seen the exact opposite. What state are you in?

Durette
Feb 6, 2012

Straithate posted:

I've lived in the midwest (Ohio) my entire life, and for a part of it in the town where Jospeh Smith and his wife were tarred and feathered and I've never come across anti-Masonic sentiments like you are talking about. Never once has anyone even mentioned Masonry at all in a workplace or institution I have been at and whenever I would say anything, most people had absolutely no clue who we even are. It is quite interesting that you have seen the exact opposite. What state are you in?

Eh, I grew up a little bit further midwest than Ohio and all apologies, but I'd rather not say more on the internet in a secret society thread. If you're interested enough, PM me and I'll share some links to my hometown newspaper. Trigger Warning: It's some sad sack stuff.

I currently live in San Antonio and there is masonic stuff EVERYWHERE. Apparently a few of the city big wigs (ie Fortune 500 guys like Red McCombs) are deep into it, thus there's plenty of money to go around. There's a huge Scottish Rite temple/church/whatever downtown and an even larger Shriner compound on the north side of the city. SA is really a gigantic hodge-podge of different neighborhoods that either got annexed by the city or will be some day, and many still have their own lodge. Plus with all the military bases there's significant not-white masons as well (sorry I don't know the correct term).

They have masonic offshoots that I didn't even know existed until I moved here. The most, uh, interesting(?) I've run across is a shotgun unit that's part of Alzafar, which is part of the Shriners which is part of the Masons. Holy poo poo, it's like Inception.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The more orders and temples and lodges you're a member of the greater chance every night is barbecue night.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Mr. Maltose posted:

Is your boss aware of what his son is doing? If not, telling him would probably stop that poo poo on a dime.

This is the best advice given. It would stop instantly if the boss/dad knew.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
If all else fails, you could try contacting the secretary of his lodge so that the officers can have a little chat to him. If all the officers giving a good stern look and frown doesn't get it through, nothing will. Try the other options first.

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin

Durette posted:

secret society

You keep saying this, but this:

Durette posted:

there is masonic stuff EVERYWHERE.

Is proof enough that we aren't. Also,

Durette posted:

significant not-white masons as well (sorry I don't know the correct term).

There are a lot of Not-white Masons all over the place. Freemasonry isn't whites only.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Personally I love that there is someone so skeptical of Masonry in general that they are afraid to narrow down their flyover state of residency in a thread on the Internet.

I mean, if we were as powerful as that level of fear would warrant, then couldn't we just utilize the ol' Echelon IV protocol to track you down?

Makes you think.

Dispatch the four door sedans and Jeep wranglers, let the gang stalking begin! :mason:

Durette
Feb 6, 2012

Paramemetic posted:

Personally I love that there is someone so skeptical of Masonry in general that they are afraid to narrow down their flyover state of residency in a thread on the Internet.

Eh, that isn't so much about the masons as it is not sharing stuff on the internet in general. I wouldn't want goons who actually believe in the Illuminati latching on to something and pestering the poo poo out of the folks back home.

"Dear Sir, I see that the property on XXX X Street that was once a masonic lodge is for sale. May I inquire as to the number of electronic theta level sweeps that have been done? I would like the chance to enter the property, but my theory on..."

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin

Durette posted:

Eh, that isn't so much about the masons as it is not sharing stuff on the internet in general. I wouldn't want goons who actually believe in the Illuminati latching on to something and pestering the poo poo out of the folks back home.

"Dear Sir, I see that the property on XXX X Street that was once a masonic lodge is for sale. May I inquire as to the number of electronic theta level sweeps that have been done? I would like the chance to enter the property, but my theory on..."

Well, it's not like the street address of just about every Lodge in America is listed on their respective Grand Lodge websites or anything...

Durette
Feb 6, 2012

MB13 posted:

Well, it's not like the street address of just about every Lodge in America is listed on their respective Grand Lodge websites or anything...

I think you missed the part where they got run out of town repeatedly. Just checked the Grand Lodge website, no lodge listing.

The building is for sale and has been for quite some time. I don't know who owns the property now, but it has changed hands over the years for some stalled redevelopment attempts. God knows there's some basement dweller itching under the tin foil hat to get in there and do whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
If there's no listing of the lodge, there's a good chance that lodge is clandestine - which doesn't mean hidden, in this case. It means essentially 'not real masons'. The way to check would be to get in touch with the appropriate grand lodge yourself - which is also a viable way to file a complaint, btw, since it'll trickle down in a couple of weeks or months to the local lodge if its legit.