Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I do kind of feel bad for the guy because its not easy to make it as an actor, and even harder to maintain success for more than a few years, so I try to never begrudge any actor for the roles they chose to take. I always figured that I'd do the same thing if I lucked out and ended up as part of the cast of an ongoing franchise, just ride that thing into the ground. So on the one hand he is trying to do whats right for himself and his career, but at the same time he probably feels dead inside as an artist while shooting those movies and has to deal with rabid Edward fans pretty much for the rest of his life. I think his life, depending on what happens going forward with the Twilight franchise, could end up being a mirror to Shatners.

Pattison seems focused on doing work he loves rather the AAA blockbusters. His next two movies are a Australian crime drama with Guy Pearce and a David Croenenberg film. It seems like he's pretty happy with his career path and the Twilight series is an outlier for him. I think he only did the first movie because he wanted a chance to work with Kristen Stewart, who was also a mostly indie drama actor before Twilight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I don't think his future is that dire, guy is talented and has had pretty steady non-Twilight work in decent films with even more in production. Save sympathy for Taylor Lautner who is forever typecast and has has all the acting range of a squinty potato.

Honestly, I think the actor everyone should feel bad for when it comes to roles is Leonardo DiCaprio.

I don't think he has lived through a movie yet.

But on the plus side he is filthy loving rich.

Lt Greatsocks
Nov 4, 2009
I wore two left shoes to my high school graduation. I'm not exaggerating, I'm not saying it to be funny, I just owned two pairs of dress shoes that looked similar. I didn't notice till I was walking up to the community center.

Tonight at our charity dinner where I work I called a disadvantaged young boy with long hair "little lady." Even worse, later when I saw the owner of the restaurant directing him towards the ladies room I just stared on instead of intervening and pointing him in the right way. Cause I'm terrible under pressure I guess, and also not under pressure. Just all around terrible.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I don't think his future is that dire, guy is talented and has had pretty steady non-Twilight work in decent films with even more in production. Save sympathy for Taylor Lautner who is forever typecast and has has all the acting range of a squinty potato.

I was going to be all "yeah who gives a poo poo, he's a nobody with more money than me" but then I hit a mental tangent into a question.

How does merchandising and royalties work for people like Lautner, Stewart, and Pattinson? They've become the face of Twilight and their images are loving everywhere, on books and movie covers and merchandise. There's a Robert Pattinson shower curtain and team Jacob shirts. Do the actors get a piece of that action, or is that a part of their movie contract that Meyer gets to market their faces as the face of Twilight?

Sorry for this random derail I'm just suddenly curious how merchandising with actors faces works. Like, does Daniel Rad-whatever get money for being the face of Harry Potter, or does that all go to JK Rowling?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Danica! posted:

Honestly, I think the actor everyone should feel bad for when it comes to roles is Leonardo DiCaprio.

Inception?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I'm pretty sure that's one of those things that gets hashed out by entertainment lawyers during the contract phase, so it's really dependent on how good the actor was at protecting their own interests and varies from situation-to-situation.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
You know that jerk-rear end 'prank' where someone 'accidentally' smashes milk bottles on a supermarket floor?
Karma knows...

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Say Nothing posted:

You know that jerk-rear end 'prank' where someone 'accidentally' smashes milk bottles on a supermarket floor?
Karma knows...

Didn't some jackhole break his fuckin' jaw doing that? Is it that jackhole?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Danica! posted:

Strangely enough his characters survived Basketball Diaries and What's Eating Gilbert Grape.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Dog with Roman candle

The dog's name is "Useless," and he previously had a part in the series "Monarch of the Glen."

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
This video is making the rounds in the awkward, ugly and gross thread and deserves a spot here, too. It stars a "Sovereign Citizen" who acts like a complete jackass and tries to barge into a courtroom. He eventually gets what he deserves.

"Leave the camera with your mother outside the courtroom and you can come in." :allears:

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Mizuti posted:

This video is making the rounds in the awkward, ugly and gross thread and deserves a spot here, too. It stars a "Sovereign Citizen" who acts like a complete jackass and tries to barge into a courtroom. He eventually gets what he deserves.

"Leave the camera with your mother outside the courtroom and you can come in." :allears:

Dude pulls a taser out and dumbass here still doesn't backoff. God. drat.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Dude pulls a taser out and dumbass here still doesn't backoff. God. drat.

You just know that he thinks that being tasered means that he has the moral high ground.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

syscall girl posted:

Strangely enough his characters survived Basketball Diaries and What's Eating Gilbert Grape.

Thats right. He managed to survive the time he was a heroin addict, and a severely mentally challenged teen.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

It's like Sean Bean. The man has made a good living off of being the dude you know is gonna eat it in any movie he's in. He's built a career of being excellent at death scenes.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Mizuti posted:

I love his smug chuckle around 1:30.

"Oh man, I totally showed him with my interpretation of law. What's he going to do? Use his FASCIST DICTATOR FALSE 'RULES' against me? Good luck."

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

pentyne posted:

Pattison seems focused on doing work he loves rather the AAA blockbusters. His next two movies are a Australian crime drama with Guy Pearce and a David Croenenberg film. It seems like he's pretty happy with his career path and the Twilight series is an outlier for him. I think he only did the first movie because he wanted a chance to work with Kristen Stewart, who was also a mostly indie drama actor before Twilight.

He signed on to Twilight originally to make a quick buck. It was a small movie that paid fairly well, and while it was in the contract that he'd have to do the whole series, neither him or his agent thought the first movie would be successful enough for those other movies to happen. Then they did, and he had no way out, so he just hosed around for the entire rest of the movies.

Kristen Stewart was into the movies at first, but soured on them as the series went on. The only member of the central cast that actually liked the whole thing was Taylor Lautner, because he basically got paid to walk around shirtless for five movies.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Danica! posted:

Catch me if you can.

And Sean Bean (gently caress you Sean. It's either Seen Bean or Shawn Bawn. You can't have the best of both worlds.) survived one or two movies as well.

I used to hate Leonardo, but his recent roles have changed that. Especially Django. It was refreshing to see him as a villain.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

It's the small things that amuse, like a model forgetting how to walk.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Has there ever been a situation like Pattinson before where an actor is actively making GBS threads on the movies he's making as he's making them?

I know of more than one who bagged the movies they worked in years afterwards, but cannot think of one case where an actor went around in interviews saying how lovely and creepy the movie he had just worked on was.

I know he gets credit for speaking his mind, but it still seems incredibly unprofessional for someone to be insulting the people who paid him something like $40 million to stand around looking like a foot dipped in glitter.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

He signed on to Twilight originally to make a quick buck. It was a small movie that paid fairly well, and while it was in the contract that he'd have to do the whole series, neither him or his agent thought the first movie would be successful enough for those other movies to happen. Then they did, and he had no way out, so he just hosed around for the entire rest of the movies.

I don't know why they would've assumed that, since people were already going bugshit over the books by the time the movie was cast. The books were ridiculously popular and aimed at exactly the demographic that would go further bugshit over a movie adaptation.

I'm now enjoying my schadenfreude over Robert Pattinson actually being really embarrassed about his career choices, he's just trying to act all cool about it now.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Has there ever been a situation like Pattinson before where an actor is actively making GBS threads on the movies he's making as he's making them?

Orson Welles described his role in the Transformers movie as "playing a toy" in a movie about toys who "do horrible things to each other", and said that “I play a planet. I menace somebody called Something-or-other. Then I’m destroyed. My plan to destroy Whoever-it-is is thwarted and I tear myself apart on the screen.”

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Say Nothing posted:

I highly doubt she forgot how to walk. Look at those shoes. Take a close look at them. Those are probably nigh impossible to properly walk in. Shoes like that are a faceplant waiting to happen.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Gann Jerrod posted:

Orson Welles described his role in the Transformers movie as "playing a toy" in a movie about toys who "do horrible things to each other", and said that “I play a planet. I menace somebody called Something-or-other. Then I’m destroyed. My plan to destroy Whoever-it-is is thwarted and I tear myself apart on the screen.”

The idea of someone like Orson Welles voicing a Transformer is pure schadenfreude in itself though. How the mighty have fallen etcetera.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

ZeroCount posted:

The idea of someone like Orson Welles voicing a Transformer is pure schadenfreude in itself though. How the mighty have fallen etcetera.

gently caress you. OW took the job to earn the money to try to sort out the rights to The Other Side Of The Wind

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

kizudarake posted:

gently caress you. OW took the job to earn the money to try to sort out the rights to The Other Side Of The Wind

Yeah, Welles gave up lucrative life of a filthy fuckn' rich radio personality with a pedigree to make movies no studio executive wanted to support, got actively sabotaged, and at times avoided being homeless only thanks to Peter Bogdanovich's charity. He also had to star in all manner of schlock to get even the bare minimum required to duct-tape together his ongoing productions.

There's some schadenfreude in that if you will, but I think it's one of the most depressing stories of show business.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Gorilla Salad posted:

There's always Michael Caine's opinion of the Jaws sequel he was in.

http://ifrymineinbutter.com/2010/06/14/i-have-seen-the-house-that-jaws-built-and-it-is-terrific-the-quotable-michael-caine/

Edited to add -- the link goes to a short article with a number of quotes from Caine as he acknowledges that he's been a bit of a lucky bastard across his career as well as comments on taking roles in goofy films.

Ms Boods has a new favorite as of 12:04 on Dec 3, 2013

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

kizudarake posted:

Yeah and? I've got nothing against him. It's still funny.

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011

ZeroCount posted:

Speaking of which, this will be Sean Connery's last role:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNIvXInb6h8

Fair enough, he's in it to promote Scottish cinema, but really?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Say Nothing posted:

I like how the only crowd reaction is one person slightly lifting their leg a bit.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Models falling, you say?

(I think that might be the designer actually)

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Stargate posted:

Speaking of which, this will be Sean Connery's last role:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNIvXInb6h8

Fair enough, he's in it to promote Scottish cinema, but really?

Oh man, was he giving his lines from his death bed? That last line of his in the trailer 2:10 in is so pitiful and weak sounding. :(

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Bill Cosby told people not to see Leonard Part 6

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Cross posting this from the Serie A thread because it's the perfect example of a good thing gone wrong. Juventus had the Curva Nord (where the Ultra fans sit and cheer) closed due to territorial chants and discrimination against another team. It's something that they've really been cracking down on recently.

Football Italia posted:

As it stands, those two sections of the ground – behind each goal – will be closed to supporters as a punishment for territorial discrimination chants aimed at the city of Naples during the 3-0 win over Napoli.

The Curva Nord will be closed for 90 minutes, while the Curva Sud will be shut for two games – thus will also be empty for the Sassuolo tie.

However, after an initiative by Turin daily Tuttosport, those two parts of the arena may now be filled with kids instead of Ultras.

Italian Olympic Committee chief Giovanni Malago and Italian Football Federation President Giancarlo Abete are in favour of such a move.

So the Ultra area was filled with kids. 12,000 of them all under 12. While in practice, this would be a great idea. But reality proved to be much weirder.

Sky Sports posted:

Juventus have been fined 5,000 euros by the Italian Football League after a group of young supporters repeatedly insulted Udinese goalkeeper Zeljko Brkic during Sunday's match.

A total of 12,000 children under 13 filled the Juventus stadium at the weekend to watch the Serie A game against Udinese.

The insults were repeatedly shouting "Merda" (poo poo) at the other team's Keeper every time he took a free kick.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

Gorilla Salad posted:

I know of more than one who bagged the movies they worked in years afterwards, but cannot think of one case where an actor went around in interviews saying how lovely and creepy the movie he had just worked on was.

I know he gets credit for speaking his mind, but it still seems incredibly unprofessional for someone to be insulting the people who paid him something like $40 million to stand around looking like a foot dipped in glitter.

Shia Le douche said this about the new Idiana Jones movie
http://www.uproxx.com/gammasquad/20...ng-indy-4-crap/

Shia LaBeouf posted:

I feel like I dropped the ball on the legacy that people loved and cherished. You get to monkey-swinging and things like that and you can blame it on the writer and you can blame it on Steven Spielberg. But the actor’s job is to make it come alive and make it work, and I couldn’t do it. So that’s my fault. Simple

In return, Harrison Ford said "I think he was a loving idiot"
After a little talking to by Spielberg, LeDouche changed his mind.

Shia LaBeouf posted:

He told me there’s a time to be a human being and have an opinion, and there’s a time to sell cars. It brought me freedom, but it also killed my spirits because this was a dude I looked up to like a sensei

Sensei . Its like he actively wants to be hated more.

Gann Jerrod posted:

Orson Welles cold detachment from Unicron really worked. He spoke the lines with out any empathy or emotion, like the character himself.

Crocuta
Nov 6, 2004
wakkawa

ZeroCount posted:

Eh, Transformers was right up his alley, in the radio days he did tons of schlocky radio serial roles where he had no idea what the plot was.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Shnag posted:

Shia Le douche said this about the new Idiana Jones movie
http://www.uproxx.com/gammasquad/20...ng-indy-4-crap/

In return, Harrison Ford said "I think he was a loving idiot"
After a little talking to by Spielberg, LeDouche changed his mind.

Sensei . Its like he actively wants to be hated more.

To be fair, he blamed himself in that first quote (and Indy 4 was crap anyway, so its not like he was wrong) and its gotta be pretty soul-crushing for a young actor to have one of the most famous directors in Hollywood come up to you and say "Sometimes, you just do it for the money." Though considering the Beef made his name in the Transformers films and Spielberg is best known for pulpy adventure films, perhaps he should have moderated his expectations a bit more.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Shnag posted:

Shia Le douche
He also self-published a comic which fits this thread I think. Some scans:

(Don't know why "sluts" is censored.)

More here: http://comicsalliance.com/shia-lebeouf-comic-book/

quote:

It sort of reads like a children’s book, in that almost nearly ever page has but one illustration and a line or two of accompanying text. LaBeouf isn’t big on panels. Or backgrounds, for that matter. Each page gives only the most basic illusion of the setting, with characters surrounded by a ubiquitous pink haze that seems to indicate everything that happens, even the indoor scenes, is occurring at sunset.

Oh and http://geek-news.mtv.com/2012/04/14/shia-labeouf-c2e2-comics/

Shia posted:

Yeah, it’s jokes too! It’s not a poem to say, “Hey I used to poo poo on myself until I was twelve years old.” That isn’t a poem! But sandwiched between a bunch of other poems, that actually have meaning, and do have gravitas, and come from somewhere deep in my feelings - my psyche. I’m friends with a guy named Ross Richie at BOOM! Comics, who encouraged me to fanatically switch it up. Comics sometimes are fun when they’re like classical music. The fun thing about classical music is, sometimes you don’t know where you stand, or where the sound is going next. It keeps you interested. If you change topics like a classic song, your book will reflect that same kind of fun.

Maybe he's pulling a Joaquin Phoenix.

The Aphasian has a new favorite as of 16:32 on Dec 3, 2013

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Crocuta posted:

Eh, Transformers was right up his alley, in the radio days he did tons of schlocky radio serial roles where he had no idea what the plot was.

He really got deep into a frozen peas commercial, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V14PfDDwxlE

Which Animaniacs did a great riff on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlXEC8kcbqc

(And so did the Critic:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH1PJTY9AVA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Didn't some jackhole break his fuckin' jaw doing that? Is it that jackhole?

Yes.

• Locked thread