Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Sams club will have it for 548 http://www.samsclub.com/sams/55-120....itVx3fFEGc2WA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Is amazon's warranty on their televisions worth the money or no?

If warranties were worth the money then they wouldn't sell warranties.

Do people buy extended warranties and take advantage of them, of course. But most people will never use it.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Curses the people selling http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0074FGP4Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A17MC6HOH9AVE6 for only $20 must have run out. I'm going to have to wait and see if a lightning deal comes out for it on Friday on Amazon. So excited and nervous, never bought something like this online before.

Also what is the difference between:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN46F...1J664A7ZRHA80D8

and

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN46E...1J664A7ZRHA80D8

Jastiger fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 28, 2013

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
What's the best Panasonic plasma model in 42-50 inches? I have a TC-P55GT30 (55 inch) from 2011 and love it. Want to upgrade another TV, doesnt need to be as big.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

The "F" models are the 2013/current generation and the "EH" models are from 2012/last generation I believe.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

I got this and was hopeful because my cable company started to encrypt the local channels like assholes.

No matter what orientation or position I put it in, I can only get 1-3 channels, exactly one when it rains.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

100% Dundee posted:

The "F" models are the 2013/current generation and the "EH" models are from 2012/last generation I believe.

Oh cool. I see the F says "slim" but they seem to be thicker in the specs section. Strange. Either way I'm going to go for an F if I can.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Jastiger posted:

Oh cool. I see the F says "slim" but they seem to be thicker in the specs section. Strange. Either way I'm going to go for an F if I can.

The F has a depth of 1.9" while the EH has a depth of 3.7". The F's depth is larger than the EH when you take the stand into account though.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Ammanas posted:

What's the best Panasonic plasma model in 42-50 inches? I have a TC-P55GT30 (55 inch) from 2011 and love it. Want to upgrade another TV, doesnt need to be as big.

Technically, the best 50" plasma TV is the ZT60. The best bang for the buck is the ST60. The only 42" versions are the S60/S64 (Costco version).

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

LorneReams posted:

I got this and was hopeful because my cable company started to encrypt the local channels like assholes.

No matter what orientation or position I put it in, I can only get 1-3 channels, exactly one when it rains.

I put mine in my attic and it worked a lot better. Of course now that I ran a cable to my attic, I just installed a bigger antenna.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

100% Dundee posted:

What's the difference then between these and the similar ones at costco with "F" at the end of the model number? I know big-box stores tend to get a special number but it also sometimes means an extra feature or two. Although from the website it's hard to tell.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Hi, I bought this TV today at Black Friday Eve:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-153-39-34-class-38-1-2-34-diag--led-1080p-60hz-hdtv/1336497.p?id=1219048785864&skuId=1336497

I am upgrading from a 32" 720p. Even though my TV is about 10 feet from my couch I think I notice a difference in the resolution, even though I saw it should be only observable from 8'. Is this a bad TV? I am thinking I would like something bigger, but this was only 170 bux, did I do good?

Shadokin
Mar 6, 2004
Bought the 60 inch vizio e601i-a3e from Walmart tonight. Super excited to get it home and hooked up but oh, wait, it doesn't work. Powers on, back light comes on but screen stays black. Called Walmart and they said the best they could do was either refund it, exchange for something similar in value, or return it and wait for one to be shipped from Walmart.com.

Called vizio and they scheduled an iti repair tech to come out within next 5 to 6 buisiness days. If they can't fix it then they will ship a new one to me. I decided to go with this option, I just don't understand why it has to be hard. On a bright note it sure does look pretty sitting there, my 700 dollar paper weight.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Untagged posted:

What's the difference then between these and the similar ones at costco with "F" at the end of the model number? I know big-box stores tend to get a special number but it also sometimes means an extra feature or two. Although from the website it's hard to tell.

As far as I know, they're some form of code indicating the feature set.
As an example, my plasma is a PN51E6500. On the box itself, the sticker has "EFXZC" after that.
My TV is a 2012, black, 3D, Wi-Fi, Smart, plasma model. Some of those letters are likely attributable to certain features of my set. :iiam:

Michael Corleone posted:

Hi, I bought this TV today at Black Friday Eve:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-153-39-34-class-38-1-2-34-diag--led-1080p-60hz-hdtv/1336497.p?id=1219048785864&skuId=1336497

I am upgrading from a 32" 720p. Even though my TV is about 10 feet from my couch I think I notice a difference in the resolution, even though I saw it should be only observable from 8'. Is this a bad TV? I am thinking I would like something bigger, but this was only 170 bux, did I do good?

Best Buy brands use LG panels (the largest panel maker in the world, in fact). They're basically entry-level displays.
As long as the signal is HD and you play with the settings a bit (brightness, contrast, and sharpness mainly), they're fine for everyday use.
Personally I recommend going bigger at ten feet of viewing distance; especially if you plan on using the TV's speakers (all flat panel speakers are trash, with certain notable exceptions), or gaming.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 29, 2013

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Mister Macys posted:

Best Buy brands use LG panels (the largest panel maker in the world, in fact). They're basically entry-level displays.
As long as the signal is HD and you play with the settings a bit (brightness, contrast, and sharpness mainly), they're fine for everyday use.
Personally I recommend going bigger at ten feet of viewing distance; especially if you plan on using the TV's speakers (all flat panel speakers are trash, with certain notable exceptions), or gaming.

Yeah, I might swing by Walmart tomorrow and see if they still have any of the 50" BF deals instock. They are $288 I think. I do game and I think a bigger screen would make it more fun, especially in Madden with the way the camera is so zoomed out for running plays. I am cheap though, so this is the best TV I would consider, though it is amazing how far prices have fallen, I got my previous TV from BB (Dynex) on BF for $400 in 2008.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah, with a 50" screen, the car dashboards in games like Forza 5 and Gran Turismo 6 are (almost) as large as life.

rasputron
Oct 21, 2013
I'm looking for a second display for my computer - I will be using it for gaming. I had planned on getting the Amazon deal on the 55" Visio but now I'm much less sure I'll be able to get one for that price.

I had been wavering between the Visio and the 46" 60hz Samsung for $499 - aside from being less real estate for the money, when I asked a local techhead friend, he suggested that the 60hz refresh rate difference was going to be a problem, and that I should stick with a 120hz model. Contrary to his advice, I have read in the OP that the refresh rate has a negligible impact on motion blur.

I'm going to be mounting this TV on a wall directly above my monitor. Viewing angle could be an issue, though I'll have 10 degrees of tilt on a wall mount to work with.

My budget is ~$500. Essentially, what I'm asking is, are the smart features and generational improvements for the current generation of HDTVs worth the markup? Should I bargain-hunt within the last generation of LCD TVs, hold out for a cheap 120hz model, or expand my search to plasma screens in search of lower input lag?

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
It appears I was slightly wrong with my comment earlier about what the letters/numbers in the Samsung TV model numbers mean but I found an Amazon comment that explains it much better. If you are wondering how to decipher the models by just the number or are just curious what each means, see here http://www.amazon.com/review/R3J9IN2X7E5IX2/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0074FGR74&nodeID=172282&store=electronics.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So pissed off. My wife and I were going to purchase http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN46EH5300-46-Inch-1080p-Black/dp/B0074FGP4Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1385705403&sr=8-2&keywords=46%22+Samsung today at $497 and they all sold out. There goes our Sub $500 TV deal. I wonder if they will ever replenish since they are last years model?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Jastiger posted:

So pissed off. My wife and I were going to purchase http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN46EH5300-46-Inch-1080p-Black/dp/B0074FGP4Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1385705403&sr=8-2&keywords=46%22+Samsung today at $497 and they all sold out. There goes our Sub $500 TV deal. I wonder if they will ever replenish since they are last years model?

If you don't mind ordering it from Samsung's website or checking at your local best buy/walmart/target/sam's club/etc. that price is for all authorized retailers. If it is in stock, it'll be at that price.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

havenwaters posted:

If you don't mind ordering it from Samsung's website or checking at your local best buy/walmart/target/sam's club/etc. that price is for all authorized retailers. If it is in stock, it'll be at that price.

But I don't necessarily get free shipping, or use my $100 of Amazon gift cards. *Khaaaaaaaan*!!!

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Jastiger posted:

But I don't necessarily get free shipping, or use my $100 of Amazon gift cards. *Khaaaaaaaan*!!!

I'd offer to sell you the 50" Vizio I plan on returning after black friday cools down but I have absolutely no idea how in the hell I'd ship it out.

ThreeHams
Sep 28, 2005

Ride the pig!
Three 60" TVs just hit my budget today after a lot of waiting ($900) so I've got to decide, but it's difficult since they all seem so similar.

Vizio E601i-A3
Sharp LC-60LE550
Samsung UN60FH6003

Besides the Samsung one seeming even more stripped down than the others (no digital audio out, for instance), only the Vizio has more than a few scattered reviews and opinions online.
Any strong opinions on these? I just need a big, dumb monitor with one HDMI input since I have a receiver and 3-4 couple options for playing media, so picture quality and viewing angle are probably the important bits.

Edit: Missed the Amazon lightning deal on a 70" Vizio for $1000, that would have been perfect. :(

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

ThreeHams posted:

Three 60" TVs just hit my budget today after a lot of waiting ($900) so I've got to decide, but it's difficult since they all seem so similar.

Vizio E601i-A3
Sharp LC-60LE550
Samsung UN60FH6003

Besides the Samsung one seeming even more stripped down than the others (no digital audio out, for instance), only the Vizio has more than a few scattered reviews and opinions online.
Any strong opinions on these? I just need a big, dumb monitor with one HDMI input since I have a receiver and 3-4 couple options for playing media, so picture quality and viewing angle are probably the important bits.

Edit: Missed the Amazon lightning deal on a 70" Vizio for $1000, that would have been perfect. :(

A lot of companies actually make lovely TVs (new model numbers) for Black Friday and then hike up the "savings" for the weekend. If you're not able to find many legitimate reviews on those models, that's probably why.

For what it's worth, the Vizio E601i-A3 is what I'm receiving this week and I decided on that model (above any other brand) after several hours worth of research.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Just grabbed a Panasonic TC-P60VT60 to replace my beloved TH-42PX600U. Big upgrade woo.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

ThreeHams posted:

My dad bought that one from Sam's. It's got an incredibly uneven backlight. He doesn't seem to mind, though.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Chemmy posted:

Just grabbed a Panasonic TC-P60VT60 to replace my beloved TH-42PX600U. Big upgrade woo.

I just bought the 55" from Best Buy today to replace my Sony SXRD rear projection unit. I have to wait to pick it up tomorrow since I need to borrow a trailer but I'm excited. I guess I'll find out if permanent IR is a thing of the past since there is probably no way I can get both my wife and daughter to baby it.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I never babied my now eight year old plasma and I had nothing resembling an issue with it. I played Halo 2 for 12 hours straight when I got the thing.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah I have a 2009 Samsung Plasma that I've never babied and I play videogames on all the time and that we've left on while on vacation multiple times and the IR has never lasted.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

My dad bought that one from Sam's. It's got an incredibly uneven backlight. He doesn't seem to mind, though.

I got it from Walmart and it looks fine to me :shrug:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I fell asleep on my couch 3 nights ago with a static image on my 5 year old Panasonic plasma and had no problems with IR. I like it enough that I'm thinking of upgrading it to a newer version while they're still available so I don't have to get an LCD.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

That's why I upgraded. I was thinking ST60 but decided to go all in since I won't get another shot at it. Always regretted not buying a Pioneer Kuro when Best Buy cleared them out for $2,500 a pop and didn't want to make the same mistake.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mons Hubris posted:

I got it from Walmart and it looks fine to me :shrug:

Backlight evenness isn't going to be consistent between different TVs.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Aphrodite posted:

Backlight evenness isn't going to be consistent between different TVs.

Oh, that sucks then. I thought they were pretty uniform but I don't really know much about TV shopping I guess.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
We have a 46" Samsung that doesn't work. What should we do with it? Will anyone buy one of these?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Jastiger posted:

We have a 46" Samsung that doesn't work. What should we do with it? Will anyone buy one of these?

Fix it?

deichkind42
Feb 22, 2004
Ugh... My brand new Panasonic 42GTW60 Plasma is killing my eyes. I can see the Plasma Rainbows and the Phosphor trails, a lot.
The picture is beatiful but i sometimes feel close to getting a seizure...

Are there ANY alternatives in the price range? (up to 1200 Euro, 42" prefered)
Most important for me are blacklevels and a natural picture i guess. (Apparently the newest Samsung Plasmas have plainbows too :/)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Seriously, after a few weeks you get used to it. I saw rainbows all over the place when I first got mine and I don't see them at all anymore.

deichkind42
Feb 22, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Seriously, after a few weeks you get used to it. I saw rainbows all over the place when I first got mine and I don't see them at all anymore.

Well if it works out like that for me it would be amazing. Just right now it is so annoying and at times feels like my eyes get tired really quick from this TV.
Have about a week more time to try it before the "free return" window expires, hope i really get used to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Hey guys, which of these would be a better deal?
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN40FH6030-40-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B00BD8SZLE/
or
http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E420i-A0-42-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B00CI3BIT4/

I was trying to pick known brands of LED TVs, under 500$, I kinda wanted to upgrade to 120Hz (the Vizio performs like 60Hz apparently) but I'm not actually sure how worth it the true 120Hz is.
I am upgrading from a 6 year old (I think) 42" Samsung that is seriously dying (don't have any quality issues it is just past its lifespan cause its been used so much).

Does anyone have some extra advice they can provide? Reviews for TVs always seem so wonky when I try and do research haha.

E: 3D and Smart features mean nothing to me.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 4, 2013