Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

frenchnewwave posted:

Vivian is also waking up 3-4 times a night at 12 months old. She's also an early riser. No advice, just empathy.

For what it's worth, if you do try the cry it out thing, I would recommend having you do the bulk of comforting and having your wife leave the room. We have started a gentle sleep training for naps and if Vivian can see or hear me, she'll cry until I pick her up. If my husband sings to her or rubs her belly, she'll drift off with little or no tears.

Yeah, his sleep behavior is definitely different with me than with her. She was shocked when I told her that with me oftentimes he'll lie in the crib awake and just slowly fall asleep. For her it seemed more all or nothing.

The bad news is that one night this weekend, his sleep looked like this:

6:05 - Fell asleep reading in the crib
8:35 - Woke up crying, nursed to sleep
11:42 - Woke up crying, nursed, rocked to sleep
4:24 - Woke up crying, tried rocking, nursed to sleep
7:01 - Woke up for day

That was after waking up for good at 5am the previous two days. :shepicide:

The good thing is that we changed up our routine and that seems to be baby steps in the right direction. We're being much stricter about only mellow play and dim lights in the evening, doing the exact same sequence of bedtime each night (eat, bath, diaper, nurse, read 3 books outside of the crib, lights out and into the crib), and trying to feed him more during the day (including just handing him finger foods during playtime). We're trying to rely on nursing or reading only when his cries get intense and we can tell he's not just fussing. This has seemed to help a little bit and we're hoping to just build off of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Papercut posted:

Yeah, his sleep behavior is definitely different with me than with her. She was shocked when I told her that with me oftentimes he'll lie in the crib awake and just slowly fall asleep. For her it seemed more all or nothing.

The bad news is that one night this weekend, his sleep looked like this:

6:05 - Fell asleep reading in the crib
8:35 - Woke up crying, nursed to sleep
11:42 - Woke up crying, nursed, rocked to sleep
4:24 - Woke up crying, tried rocking, nursed to sleep
7:01 - Woke up for day

That was after waking up for good at 5am the previous two days. :shepicide:

The good thing is that we changed up our routine and that seems to be baby steps in the right direction. We're being much stricter about only mellow play and dim lights in the evening, doing the exact same sequence of bedtime each night (eat, bath, diaper, nurse, read 3 books outside of the crib, lights out and into the crib), and trying to feed him more during the day (including just handing him finger foods during playtime). We're trying to rely on nursing or reading only when his cries get intense and we can tell he's not just fussing. This has seemed to help a little bit and we're hoping to just build off of it.

That sounds familiar. Our oldest hates sleeping, bedtimes, and cribs, so it was really rough from about 8 months till... Well, I forget when he started only having one or two crying fits at night, but that's what it is now. He's just over two.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
Yeah that sleep schedule looks familiar to me, too, except we don't do the 6pm bedtime. We just start winding down around 7, bath, book, and trying to get her to sleep. Nowadays she wants to play for an hour before I can get her to sleep. I can never get her to sleep in the crib (she just stands up and either starts playing or putting out her arms for me to pick her up) but my husband can. Sometimes I can turn off the light and lay down next to her on the bed and nurse her to sleep. Even that has been difficult these days. I don't know. They say it could be a growth spurt, teething, mental leap, etc. but honestly there's ALWAYS one of those things going on. I think it's called being an infant/toddler.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Our 18 month old is definitely resisting going to sleep. Our newest routine is to read to her, then sing a little song as we rock her, kiss her, and set her down. She'll start whining when we set her down. Last night, I asked if she was ready for bed, and she looked at me and shook her head no :ohdear:. So, I rocked her in the chair to lull her to street. I miss the days when we could set her down, and she'd just grab her blanket and head plant the mattress.

Also, I cannot wait for the day that I can just go pee without her banging on the door :negative:

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
We've been reading Sherlock Holmes to my 22 month old for a few months now as part of his routine. There's something sleep-inducing about just hearing me read aloud quietly with no pictures or anything to look at. It really seems to help him bring it down a notch (and as an added bonus, I've always wanted to read Sherlock Holmes, although I can't say it's completely toddler-appropriate bedtime reading...)

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Out of curiosity, when did you guys start introducing sandwiches into your kids' diet? I have 11 month old twins who seem to have a better palate than I do. I was thinking of trying a diced up open faced something with peanut butter on it as a test someday, but I thought I'd check in first!

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Out of curiosity, when did you guys start introducing sandwiches into your kids' diet? I have 11 month old twins who seem to have a better palate than I do. I was thinking of trying a diced up open faced something with peanut butter on it as a test someday, but I thought I'd check in first!

Toast with peanut butter is what I started out with. Sometimes Nutella mixed in. I cut it up small then bigger pieces as he can handle. I don't usually do jelly as he'll just lick off the jelly and leave the bread.

The oldest I think started with closed faced sandwiches at about 4.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
We've been giving our 12-month-old sandwiches for at least a couple of months, even though he usually just eats the filling and leaves the bread. He loves stuff like avocado/cheese/tuna and grilled cheese.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
Re: Sammiches. My general kid feeding philosophy is that if they can chew it, they can have it. Sandwiches are awesome. Make a grilled cheese and cut it into sticks/strips for easy picking up and gnawing.

Here's a pic of 18 month old Tim PB&J-ing it like a pro.

Aaaand now I got a little misty looking at how little he was. Here's a recent pic of both little monkeys being typically ridiculous. :3:

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
We do sandwiches (and cheeseburgers) at 18 months with no issues, aside from generally cutting it up into pieces she can more easily eat. Half the time she'll just pick it apart and eat the pieces, but whatever.

We're also having bedtime issues; however, she's been in a cast the last 3 weeks, and the massive disruption to her life by having in-laws in the house over Thanksgiving week didn't help, either. We're getting really close to dropping the side of her crib, which will be its own brand of fun, too.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

When do you know its time to drop down the side of the crib?

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
Also, now that I have a minute, thank you everyone for your input regarding Tim's school performance anxiety. I don't think he has any sensory issues; I think it's more of a social issue thing. I was thinking about it, and asked myself if I would give it a second thought if myself or Daddy were like that, and I figured I wouldn't. Neither one of us during school or college were like that, and we both did non-sport, performance based, extracurriculars (singing, theatre, debate, mock trial, etc...) I am pressing the issue that it isn't acceptable to hold your ears and freak out during Happy Birthday, because it hurts our friends and family's feelings, but am just going to do my best to happily and positively encourage him to participate even just a little bit during school recitals. I don't want him to develop a fear of public speaking in the future.

Off to change a diaper!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Alterian posted:

One opportunity is when they can jump the fence, which my little bean appears to be getting close to.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
When are we supposed to be able to introduce peanut butter? My pediatrician said no peanuts or shellfish at V's 12 month appt. She's becoming a picky eater and I'm running out of things to give her. She loves all bread products so if I can smear on some protein and healthy fat, I'd love to.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
We did peanuts and shellfish at a year, and that was us being cautious because of a family history of allergies.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We were told it was fine at 10 months, but both our families have no history of food allergies.

Edit: Sunflower butter is really tasty and nut free! I like it better than peanutbutter but its too calorie dense for me to eat. :(

Alterian fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 4, 2013

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

frenchnewwave posted:

When are we supposed to be able to introduce peanut butter? My pediatrician said no peanuts or shellfish at V's 12 month appt. She's becoming a picky eater and I'm running out of things to give her. She loves all bread products so if I can smear on some protein and healthy fat, I'd love to.
Those are the old guidelines. In recent years, studies have concluded that there's no evidence that delaying peanuts (or shellfish, or egg whites, or anything else) helps prevent allergies or reduces risk. From the Mayo Clinic:

What about food allergies?

To help prevent food allergies, parents were once told to avoid feeding young children highly allergenic foods such as eggs, fish, peanuts and tree nuts. Today, however, research suggests there's no convincing evidence that avoiding these foods during early childhood will help prevent food allergies.

Still, it's a good idea to check with your baby's doctor if any close relatives have a food allergy. You might consider giving your child his or her first taste of a highly allergenic food at home — rather than at a restaurant — with an oral antihistamine available, just in case.

So, if there's no history of food allergies in your family, you can feed V whatever you like. The only real off limit food before age one is honey, because of botulism. The NHS says after 6 months you're good to go with potential allergens so long as there's no history of allergies in the family.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
With my family history. I chose to delay highly allergenic stuff even with those recommendations because I preferred to have an older and ostensibly sturdier kid if a reaction were to happen. And I always fed them early in the day, so if we needed a doctor visit it would be to our ped office and not the ER in the middle of the night.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
Ok thanks! We've tried scrambled eggs (she threw them on the floor) so maybe we'll try a little bit of PB. Or I'll pick up sunflower seed butter.

I wonder if I should feel disappointed or concerned that my pediatrician isn't up to date on the latest recommendations. It's so hard to find a drat good pediatrician! Argh.

(This was also the doctor who told us to let her cry for up to 2 hours to take a nap... I'm not having much luck finding a good doctor.)

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!
Rory's been getting a little rash on his left cheek near his ear, but it goes away about 20 minutes after I notice it, once every other day or so. What the gently caress? He's not fussy, feverish, or otherwise infirm.. it's just a blotchy red area that hangs around for half an hour. It looks kind of like a rash he got when he was about 5 month old that turned out to just be dry skin, but I don't remember that one having mystical disappearing qualities.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
Does he sleep on that side perhaps?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Dandy Shrew posted:

Rory's been getting a little rash on his left cheek near his ear, but it goes away about 20 minutes after I notice it, once every other day or so. What the gently caress? He's not fussy, feverish, or otherwise infirm.. it's just a blotchy red area that hangs around for half an hour. It looks kind of like a rash he got when he was about 5 month old that turned out to just be dry skin, but I don't remember that one having mystical disappearing qualities.

Drool?

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!

frenchnewwave posted:

Does he sleep on that side perhaps?

Not any more than the other side.

He's *very* drooly, but the rash is high up near his ear.. I don't know. I put some E45 on the area after his bath, so we'll see. If it doesn't get better, of course we'll go to the GP, but the fact that it doesn't stick around long kind of takes the worry out of it for me.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life
Our son has been a really good sleeper since about 3 months, waking anywhere between 0 and 2 times per night and generally being fairly easy to get back to sleep. He has slept in his crib since day 1. He is now 10 months old and for 3 nights straight he is waking up literally every hour and taking 30 minutes to get back to sleep. His 2 naps, which used to be 1-2.5 hours, are now 20-40 minutes. He is getting total maybe 7 hours of sleep a day. We cannot figure out what is waking him up, he's not usually hungry and doesn't seem to be in pain as as soon as we pick him up he calms down. Oddly, he also seems fine during the day rather than loving exhausted like we are and he should be. I don't understand how he is even able to stay awake considering he is getting like half the sleep he needs. Hoping this is just a phase or something, but any ideas? We think he may be teething but the second he is in our arms he stops crying, and so far we can't see any evidence of teething.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I find that when my babies wake up with that kind of frequency it is because they are over tired (they seem to sleep lighter when they sleep poorer for whatever reason). Is the crib or whatever you are using to sleep in in a part of the house that is well traveled? If so, maybe you could relocate it temporarily. After a long process I discovered that my dog was periodically waking up my kids since his tags would make an unholy ruckus whenever he scratched himself. As soon as that was removed from the equation the girls slept longer, deeper, and eventually were able to not be woken up as easily once they found the hours of sleep they had previously lost.

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 4, 2013

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I fine that when my babies wake up with that kind of frequency it is because they are over tired (they seem to sleep lighter when they sleep poorer for whatever reason). Is the crib or whatever you are using to sleep in in a part of the house that is well traveled? If so, maybe you could relocate it temporarily. After a long process I discovered that my dog was periodically waking up my kids since his tags would make an unholy ruckus whenever he scratched himself. As soon as that was removed from the equation the girls slept longer, deeper, and eventually were able to not be woken up as easily once they found the hours of sleep they had previously lost.

No, it's super quiet in his room. We even have a small box fan in there for white noise because we do have a dog that sometimes barks randomly and it totally drowns that out. If he's overtired I'm not sure what to do about that since his naps sucks now and he sleeps like poo poo during the night. I'm sure he is quite tired but we are doing everything we can think of to get him to stay asleep longer and it's all totally failed.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Definitely could be teething, or possibly temperature now that we're hitting winter weather. Could be a growth spurt or developmental milestone (did he recently start pulling up to a stand?). I posted my sleep troubles and some strategies we're pursuing above.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Papercut posted:

Definitely could be teething, or possibly temperature now that we're hitting winter weather. Could be a growth spurt or developmental milestone (did he recently start pulling up to a stand?). I posted my sleep troubles and some strategies we're pursuing above.

We live in Minnesota so it's cold as poo poo but we just got new super insulated windows and the temp seems controlled in there. He's been pulling himself up for quite a while, over a month I'd say so I don't think that's it. Sometimes when I go in there he is standing and jumping up and down, sometimes hes just sitting there, and other times laying down. It seems totally random.

He also used to be really good about falling asleep on his own if you rocked him long enough to get him good and drowsy but now he needs to be totally asleep before being placed in the crib or he flails and screams.

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
Save the drama for your llama

Industrial posted:

Our son has been a really good sleeper since about 3 months, waking anywhere between 0 and 2 times per night and generally being fairly easy to get back to sleep. He has slept in his crib since day 1. He is now 10 months old and for 3 nights straight he is waking up literally every hour and taking 30 minutes to get back to sleep. His 2 naps, which used to be 1-2.5 hours, are now 20-40 minutes. He is getting total maybe 7 hours of sleep a day. We cannot figure out what is waking him up, he's not usually hungry and doesn't seem to be in pain as as soon as we pick him up he calms down. Oddly, he also seems fine during the day rather than loving exhausted like we are and he should be. I don't understand how he is even able to stay awake considering he is getting like half the sleep he needs. Hoping this is just a phase or something, but any ideas? We think he may be teething but the second he is in our arms he stops crying, and so far we can't see any evidence of teething.

Maybe he's working on a new milestone and it's waking him up? I'm probably not one to give advice on sleeping though since my kid slept fine until 4 months and then literally overnight turned into a bad sleeper who wakes up at least four times a night. We thought he it was due to teething and would go back to normal in a week or so, but it's been 4 months of this. At least he naps ok though. Hope it's not the same for you and he goes back to sleeping well.

Edit: Posted before you addressed the milestone issue. With mine if we have to put him dead asleep in the crib he usually will sleep worse than usual and wake up soon after.

An Cat Dubh fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 4, 2013

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Alterian posted:

For us, it comes down to her having the ability to climb in/out safely if the side were dropped, along with wanting to give her a little more room in the mornings to wake up and play with her toys and read her books and such. We'd still gate her room, but it would let her settle down better in the evenings and mornings. We were actually planning on doing it, and then she broke her ankle and got a cast, so we delayed it.

Ours isn't trying to climb out, but that's mostly because we've tried to keep her from thinking about it, not because she couldn't try if she were determined. We'd kind of like to drop the side before we get to that point.

That said, if we drop the side and it really doesn't work for whatever reason, we'd be willing to put it back on for a while.

If anyone else has any really good advice about making the crib/dropped-side transition, I'd love to hear it.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Industrial posted:

We live in Minnesota so it's cold as poo poo but we just got new super insulated windows and the temp seems controlled in there. He's been pulling himself up for quite a while, over a month I'd say so I don't think that's it. Sometimes when I go in there he is standing and jumping up and down, sometimes hes just sitting there, and other times laying down. It seems totally random.

He also used to be really good about falling asleep on his own if you rocked him long enough to get him good and drowsy but now he needs to be totally asleep before being placed in the crib or he flails and screams.

You might want to check with your pediatrician to make sure it's not medical. We only found out at our 12-month checkup that ours was recovering from a mild ear infection.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Oh, good, sleep chat.

Alexandra has regressed in her bedtime routine, pretty severely. It used to be that we could put her down, and she'd soothe herself, or we'd come in and pick her up for a few minutes, and then she'd get back to sleep, but now it seems like we've been soothing her more and more, and now when it's time for bed I basically have to rock her in my lap for 90. freaking. minutes. until she finally (finally!) falls into a deep enough sleep that I can put her down. If she's awake enough when I put her into the crib, she'll start to moan and cry, and if I leave she'll wail. If she's awake enough, she'll jump up and run to the side of the crib with her blanket and scream at the door.

:sigh:

I wish I knew how to get her to just chill the gently caress out and go to sleep, instead of freaking out and demanding that I hold her at all times when it's time to sleep.

The funny thing is, she's GREAT with naps. She'll actually say "Nap" to me when she wants to nap, and when I put her into the crib with her blanket she'll just chew on it and roll over and I can kiss her goodbye and walk out, NO PROBLEM. But bedtime, that's a whole other story.

I wish I knew what it was that got her so upset. Maybe she's afraid of the dark?

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
How old is Alexandra? Great name by the way.

I have come to the conclusion that babies & sleep will always be a wild card and just when they get into a routine, whether positive or negative, something will come along and change it all up once again.

Or maybe that's just my kid.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

frenchnewwave posted:

How old is Alexandra? Great name by the way.

I have come to the conclusion that babies & sleep will always be a wild card and just when they get into a routine, whether positive or negative, something will come along and change it all up once again.

Or maybe that's just my kid.

She's 18 months old. A few nights ago, as I held her over the crib, I asked her if she was ready for bed, and she looked at me and shook her head no :( She really doesn't want to go to sleep at night, though I'm not sure why. She sleeps great once she's asleep, and doesn't wake up in the middle of the night. I just don't know why she's suddenly having so much trouble going to sleep.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
My 9 month old has started refusing baby food, but won't sit still long enough to eat what I consider to be enough of our food. Most times hell outright refuse it. He's also stopped really doing the 'pick up with hand and being to mouth' thing. He still picks stuff up, and occasionally he'll get it there, but he's just not interested in it anymore. The only thing I can get him to truly eat is yogurt.

He's still breastfeeding 6-7 times during the day and 3-4 at night. It's not for lack of trying, he just doesn't seem to care for any of it. He also hates his high chair. He's still peeing/pooping regularly, so I'm not overly concerned, it's just strange to me.

We have our 9 month appointment on Friday, so I'll see how his weight is and bring it up. His Ped said at 6 months, he should be eating 3 solid meals as well as breast feeding at this point, so I'm not sure what he'll say.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
Solid food is really just for the experience more so than the nutrition until around age one, so I really wouldn't start stressing out about food now (especially since the baby can definitely pick up on that!). Keep offering tasty foods and keep breastfeeding and you'll find that interest waxes and wanes but will generally start building as your baby gets older. I really like just doing finger foods at that point since it's great for motor development too.

Edit: look up baby-led weaning for some ideas about appropriate finger foods.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Lullabee posted:

My 9 month old has started refusing baby food, but won't sit still long enough to eat what I consider to be enough of our food. Most times hell outright refuse it. He's also stopped really doing the 'pick up with hand and being to mouth' thing. He still picks stuff up, and occasionally he'll get it there, but he's just not interested in it anymore. The only thing I can get him to truly eat is yogurt.

He's still breastfeeding 6-7 times during the day and 3-4 at night. It's not for lack of trying, he just doesn't seem to care for any of it. He also hates his high chair. He's still peeing/pooping regularly, so I'm not overly concerned, it's just strange to me.

We have our 9 month appointment on Friday, so I'll see how his weight is and bring it up. His Ped said at 6 months, he should be eating 3 solid meals as well as breast feeding at this point, so I'm not sure what he'll say.

Our 10 month old is pretty much over his baby food now too, although he loves those baby cheeto things and yogurt bites. I think it's pretty normal and the nutritional content is nothing special, hell the veggie ones are mostly just water.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Jasper is having sleep problems too! Its more him waking up an hour after we put him down and then an hour after that. I'm pretty sure its because he seems to be getting molars on both sides of his mouth.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Just curious on these sleep troubles, have those babies been getting any screen time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Just wondering if anyone has any good advice when it comes to being in a relationship with someone with a three yaar old?
I want to help her and be involved, and she'd like this as well. We're not at all open about being together when we're with him. I've spent some time with him and played around and sometimes it works quite well but he's still clearly a little scared of me. I think he mostly feels like I'm a threat and take his mother's attention away from him. I'm not at all used to dealing with young kids so any kind of advice from people who have been in similar situations would be appreciated.