Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I think Judith is dead simply because of the limitations she'd put on the group being on the run with no shelter when the show comes back.

Yes, why would they want to complicate the lives of these people on the run during the zombie apocalypse? I like the lives of my zombie survivors to be complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I was totally waiting for the Governor to get bit while he was trying to choke Rick to death.

Personally I think my biggest issue with this episode (and lately this show) is that nobody seems to want to work together. Rick sort of danced around the issue with his 'we can all stay in the prison' speech but I really just wanted someone to stand up and shout, 'what the gently caress?!? There are undead zombies walking the face of the earth and you idiots want to kill actual living people? Grow the gently caress up!'

Instead we get a small group of survivors attacking another small group of survivors because.....well because of reasons. It's just making less and less sense but I am glad the governor finally got killed and that they are finally leaving the prison. It would be a good place in an actual apocalypse but it's boring as poo poo for a tv apocalypse.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm just glad they left the prison and we get a new set.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

TMMadman posted:

Personally I think my biggest issue with this episode (and lately this show) is that nobody seems to want to work together. Rick sort of danced around the issue with his 'we can all stay in the prison' speech but I really just wanted someone to stand up and shout, 'what the gently caress?!? There are undead zombies walking the face of the earth and you idiots want to kill actual living people? Grow the gently caress up!'

Instead we get a small group of survivors attacking another small group of survivors because.....well because of reasons. It's just making less and less sense but I am glad the governor finally got killed and that they are finally leaving the prison. It would be a good place in an actual apocalypse but it's boring as poo poo for a tv apocalypse.

It's pretty much the same problem humanity has had since the beginning of civilization; the inability of two groups to realize that they're really only one group.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

TMMadman posted:

I was totally waiting for the Governor to get bit while he was trying to choke Rick to death.

If it's any consolation I think the show is on your side on this issue.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

TMMadman posted:

We are not a sharing species. We understand the need for community but once that community is formed we are wary of outsiders. Also these are people who are mostly living off scavanged goods. They are not capable of long term feeding just through hunting and farming. So you have to weigh the costs/benefits of letting other people in and the food and resources they consume.

You can look at modern examples where society falls apart and you get very similar circumstances. City-states and warlords in constant battle.

Mu Zeta posted:

I hope we don't get a set. I want a road season, dammit!

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

TMMadman posted:

Instead we get a small group of survivors attacking another small group of survivors because.....well because of reasons.

That the undead can rise in vast numbers but we're actually in more danger from other people is the theme that runs through all three Romero films and I believe TWD is trying to follow that tradition.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

rypakal posted:

You can look at modern examples where society falls apart and you get very similar circumstances. City-states and warlords in constant battle.

Yeah, when you see what some people do in real life when there's a total break down of the rule of law, the behavior of the characters in The Walking Dead doesn't seem all that unrealistic.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 2, 2013

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

InfiniteZero posted:

That the undead can rise in vast numbers but we're actually in more danger from other people is the theme that runs through all three Romero films and I believe TWD is trying to follow that tradition.

Edit: drat beaten to the Katrina reference!

I always wondered how true that would actually be in practice. I guess maybe natural disasters are the closest we've seen in human history to whats happened in the show, and its true that people don't react well to that kind of situation. Katrina for example, very quickly the problem became the looting and unchecked violence caused by the lack of police presence.

In Contact(the book, not the movie), Carl Sagan spends a lot of time on the politics of discovering alien life and how like 3/4 of the countries of the world act as if they care much more about how it will effect their standing in global politics versus the fact that aliens from Vega just loving sent us blueprints for a spaceship. As noted scholar Tommy Lee Jones once said, "A person is smart; people are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Darryl is totally going to bone Beth.

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

Rick's face at the end of the episode was highly hilarious

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Basebf555 posted:

I always wondered how true that would actually be in practice.

Fiction also likes to present the idea that some universal threat will bring about global harmony, as we realize that our own differences are insignificant compared with the face of Ozymandius' squidmonster / Dr Manhattan / Martians. And it really looks great and thoughtful on paper.

But we're already potentially facing extinction from global warming, the unchecked Soviet nuclear arsenal, AIDS and cancer, and more people are probably going to die this year in car accidents than in the ID4 invasion. More than anything, we'd probably view a zombie uprising as an inconvenience that only affects "other people" and go on with business as usual.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Das Boo posted:

Anyone got the stunt double screens? I'm not observant, as per expectations. :v:

Here you go:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
That episode. :stare:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why does Carl need a stunt double? I mean, what action stuff does he do?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Carol could have thought the little girl killed them when actuality it was Bob. That would be a good reason to drag them out and burn them. She thinks she is covering for the little girl when actually she's covering up what Bob did.

Alcoholism and drug abuse is very common with serial killers.

I think it is Bob and that's the way the scenario will play out.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I liked Hershel's smile before he died. Very Obi-Wan.

I just realized something. The only characters left from the first few episodes are Rick, Carl, Glenn, and Darryl. The latter 3 are the only ones left from the original camp outside Atlanta.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Hollismason posted:

Carol could have thought the little girl killed them when actuality it was Bob. That would be a good reason to drag them out and burn them. She thinks she is covering for the little girl when actually she's covering up what Bob did.

Why would she think the little girl did it.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I don't know why I feel this way but I really think Andrew Lincoln is doing better with Rick's character. Maybe it's because they gave him a little depth or they gave him better situations to work in but I think he is good at being the shows center.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Peta posted:

Rick's face at the end of the episode was highly hilarious

Rick crying is never not funny.

Hollismason posted:

See, that's the thing, how the hell does dragging them out and partially burning them cover up anything? They didn't drag and burn themselves.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 3, 2013

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm thinking for shots with explosions on screen.

Astroman posted:

I liked Hershel's smile before he died. Very Obi-Wan.

DAMNIT. THAT's the one I couldn't remember. Gandalf and Maester Whatsisface in ASoIaF kept sticking in my head. The latter ASoIaF one: because of the botched beheading

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 3, 2013

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Do actors have the option of whether or not they want to use a stunt double? Or is it mandated in their contract that one is used?

The concept of a stunt double seems sorta strange to me. I guess an injury could seriously impact the rest of the production, story line, etc etc. But it still seems kinda wussy.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

fletcher posted:

an injury could seriously impact the rest of the production

#1 reason right here.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Well that was a satisfying conclusion to the Governor arc, if nothing else. Didn't like to see Hershel go, but I figured that was likely to happen more so than the rest of the cast, who at this point are either too hard to replace or just got there.

I didn't like the setup at all, since it came off to me last week as far too sudden that the Governor's new group would trust him after everything that happened before that. But it was a perfectly fitting end that he failed to protect the ones he loved through his complete inability to be happy with any situation (and I have to think a need for revenge against Rick as well). I'm glad they had his not-wife off him like that, after she watched her own daughter die because of his complete insanity.

This battle was the one we should have gotten at the end of last season, but for whatever reason they couldn't go through with it. I'm glad they ended this story arc for good this time around.

It was a little forced how they had to put off the whole Tyreese side-plot and the mystery of who was dissecting the rats, but it does make me suspect that Carol was probably not responsible for those murders like we thought. Although if she's covering for someone other than the one weird girl it makes less sense that she would take the credit and eventual exile. Hopefully that sideplot goes somewhere in the 2nd half.

I'm glad they're keeping most of the cast intact post-Governor, so that hopefully we get to see more of what we saw the beginning of the season with good character building. Characters like Bob need more screen time. I'm also not buying that the baby is actually dead. I'm sure one of the kids or possibly Tera grabbed her in the chaos.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
For how awesome all the zombie makeup and gore looks in this show, why did the blood coming out of Hershel's neck look so terrible?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

fletcher posted:

For how awesome all the zombie makeup and gore looks in this show, why did the blood coming out of Hershel's neck look so terrible?

It was probably the only thing computer generated.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

fletcher posted:

Do actors have the option of whether or not they want to use a stunt double? Or is it mandated in their contract that one is used?

The concept of a stunt double seems sorta strange to me. I guess an injury could seriously impact the rest of the production, story line, etc etc. But it still seems kinda wussy.

No it's usually insurance which makes the decision even though for a show like the Walking Dead or Spartacus it would be hard.

Arrow on the other hand never uses the actual actors for the more dangerous fight and stunt scenes.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

fletcher posted:

Because real makeup and prosthetics look better than a CGI neck wound? They wanted to have his head be partially cut off so they decided/had to use CGI.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down

-Blackadder- posted:

Yeah, when you see what some people do in real life when there's a total break down of the rule of law, the behavior of the characters in The Walking Dead doesn't seem all that unrealistic.

It doesn't even have to be as extreme as a pandemic for a Walking Dead scenario to occur. Most recently Typhoon Haiyan provided us in a couple of days what took an entire comic book to show - droves of survivors looting stores as well as gated communities in full view of their defiant-but-helpless owners; guys ransacking abandoned gun stores and police stations so they can stock up on munitions and defend themselves; hell, there's even a heavily-armed, evil, organized group going from town to town.

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

MeLKoR posted:

Rick crying is never not funny.

Yeah, this is swell and he's usually a mess when he gets upset but I couldn't stop grinning at his bloody beaten-to-a-pulp face

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Svaha posted:

Here you go:

Its like that scene in Spaceballs, Gov comes in thinking they killed them "You fools you killed their stunt doubles"

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I want Rick to grow a big old Herschel beard during the next half now that he done made Herschel proud.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
Is it just my photographer eyes or is this show filmed on really lovely cameras?
I'm not complaining about it mind you, but they just seem to have a low camera quality to viewership ratio.
It definitely adds a bit of... southern flavor... to the show.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
My favorite part was Michonne going all Starbuck on us,

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

It's not the action that the person does, its the environment the character is in.
If there's explosions or whatever nearby it's probably quicker and cheaper to have a stunt double stand in place than a kid.
And it doesn't have to be a stunt double, just a body double. We had long shots in that episode, of the front gate and inner gates. No need to have the real actor stand there 200 yards away just so you see his hair and hat outline. Cheaper to rent a lookalike.

And that episode was amazing.
Was it first time you saw the body of the dead main char after being killed? They cut away at Lori, Amanda, Merle. Guess they had a good head prop they wanted to use.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

happyhippy posted:

It's not the action that the person does, its the environment the character is in.
If there's explosions or whatever nearby it's probably quicker and cheaper to have a stunt double stand in place than a kid.
And it doesn't have to be a stunt double, just a body double. We had long shots in that episode, of the front gate and inner gates. No need to have the real actor stand there 200 yards away just so you see his hair and hat outline. Cheaper to rent a lookalike.

And that episode was amazing.
Was it first time you saw the body of the dead main char after being killed? They cut away at Lori, Amanda, Merle. Guess they had a good head prop they wanted to use.

Herschel's body wasn't in focus, but good because it was super sad :qq:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Constant location/set changes get expensive though, I bet they find somewhere to squat and set up shop real quick :smith:

Maybe thats why after S1 AMC was like: "gently caress this", slashed the budget and fired/forced out Darabont. I recall him saying he wanted each episode to be a mini movie

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I heard someone say on another site that the Irish woman from the first episode showed up as a zombie in this one? I don't know if that's true though.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Svaha posted:

Here you go:

I always knew Carl was actually a woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down

FlamingLiberal posted:

I heard someone say on another site that the Irish woman from the first episode showed up as a zombie in this one? I don't know if that's true though.

Yeah, she shows up near the end when the walkers start making their way into the compound just before the "don't look back" scene.

• Locked thread