Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Episode 8 is out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
Man that was some pretty good development for Kaito and his goals, and Micchy continues to show that there's more to him than initially meets the eye. Plus the first appearance of the Kiwi Lockseed. Looks like we'll be getting some Monsters of the Week in the future, too.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
Another good episode. We're finally moving to Monsters of the Week, but as long as they continue to throw in character development I think I'll be quite pleased. It's definitely pretty cool how each character has their own fairly well thought-out goals that they're working towards without just becoming a one-note joke.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, I know this is meant to be a Kaito episode, but Micchy got the best scene. In fact, every time Micchy and Sid are together, the entire episode just...doesn't matter as much in comparison. It's just them. They work so well together. I love the ruthless Micchy, even moreso in this ep than the last time we saw him. He fully knows how easily he can gently caress up Sid if he goes talk to his brother, and makes absolutely sure Sid knows this, in no uncertain terms.

He's got one hell of a future in the evil conglomerate Yggdrasill if he keeps this up. He was not kidding in that he could surpass Takatora. I mean, see how much respect Sid has for big bro? Now see how much he follows little bro. Yeah. Micchy is actually commanding more respect from Sid than Takatora (admittedly, by using Takatora as his bargaining chip).

Baron Mango Arms looks great too, but just pales in comparison to ruthless!Micchy. And seeing Mai and Kaito's similarities, as well as how Yggdrasill affected them and created their modern selves is great as well. But Micchy. That is all.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I can't wait to see what Micchy will do when Mai inevitably starts crushing on Kaito and confides in Micchy for love advice on how she should act toward Kouta and Kaito.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I get the feeling Zangetsu might not be in power for the whole show. There's at least one person who doesn't seem to respect his authority. Might not be the only person in the running for head honcho, either.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I really want Sagara to end up being the final boss. I want Sagara to become a Rider. I mean, he seems to have all the Lockseeds the Riders do, and he has an in with Yggdrasil.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

All I can really think about is the fact that they snuck in not one, but two awful continuity jokes in that opening scene, when it was translated.

I'm not sure what's more amusing. The line referencing next year's Sentai, or the fact that Momotaros, Gentarou, and Haruto are all painfully obvious, even compared to everyone else.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Monathin posted:

All I can really think about is the fact that they snuck in not one, but two awful continuity jokes in that opening scene, when it was translated.

I'm not sure what's more amusing. The line referencing next year's Sentai, or the fact that Momotaros, Gentarou, and Haruto are all painfully obvious, even compared to everyone else.
I somehow did not notice M.M. Toros referred to Toei's favourite cash cow character. Also I'd say that W.Access is almost as obvious as WiZ-Dragon and just as obvious as 4thRocket.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Don't forget Tatoba (OOO), 4thRocket and Launcher No.2 (Fourze), and Centerbelt #1 & #2 (The Original).

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
Forget all that. It's all about the twoots.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Waffleman_ posted:

I really want Sagara to end up being the final boss.
I want this too, mainly to see if he puts on a new outfit or (hopefully) see him chewing the scenery with his current DJ attire. There's nothing quite like watching a man dressed in polka dots explain his plan to achieve world domination using eldritch horrors.

EDIT: Kouta's entrance into the forest was golden. :laffo:

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Dec 3, 2013

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

jonjonaug posted:

I can't wait to see what Micchy will do when Mai inevitably starts crushing on Kaito and confides in Micchy for love advice on how she should act toward Kouta and Kaito.

Micchy seems to be in a place where it doesn't really bother him that she's not interested in him. He probably knows that it would never work because of his family/upbringing.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Monathin posted:

Quan is supposed to be Khan, as it's an anagram of Ankh. They updated it shortly after release. It's all pretty amazing.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I've always kind of wondered what they were thinking about when they did the casting for Team Gaim, since none of them can dance, and they're not super attractive. They're just normal looking cast members who are bad at dancing, in a show about dancing. The other three are better at dancing than Micchy and Mai are and I can't even tell you their names.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
They all can dance. They can dance really well actually. They just have intentionally terrible choreography.

I'm not entirely sure why either.

e: incidentally, 0North - Zeronos.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

AzraelNewtype posted:

They all can dance. They can dance really well actually. They just have intentionally terrible choreography.

I'm not entirely sure why either.

Well, it worked out when Cake-Dude told them that they are a bunch of terrible amateurs. I mean, isn't the dancing supposed to come off as amateurish anyway since it's an analogue for street gangs?

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

I get the feeling Zangetsu might not be in power for the whole show. There's at least one person who doesn't seem to respect his authority. Might not be the only person in the running for head honcho, either.

The thing with Zangetsu is that he's one of the show's big four headlining Riders and we've hardly seen him do anything - we've not even seen his transformation sequence yet, though that may be simply because he doesn't do the flashy pose stuff the kids are into. I feel like Takatora's being set up to have more of a personal struggle and something to overcome rather than simply being the sinister corporate villain.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The mango design for Baron's new lock uses hash-mark cuts for the mango design. I didn't realize that that was really a common way to serve it.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Episode 9 is out.

Micchy is the man with all the plans.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Show is great.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Waffleman_ posted:

Show is great.

How dare they be inconsistent with form changes. :mad:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Show is great.
This was the absolute best.

Also, I was digging the ending of this episode. It seems like the plot proper is going to be starting up soon now that (maybe?) most of the major players have been introduced. All that's left are the Energy Riders, right? Or am I missing something big?

Also, regarding the DJ: Does Kureshima work for him, or the other way around? Or are they two separate and equal branches of Yggdrassil, one acting as the Voice of England and the other keeping the Helheim poo poo under wraps. It's an interesting dynamic, regardless, especially with Sid and now Ryouma too. I wonder who's at the head of all these peoples? Legitimately curious about breakdance orange samurai world's power structure.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Also, I was digging the ending of this episode. It seems like the plot proper is going to be starting up soon now that (maybe?) most of the major players have been introduced. All that's left are the Energy Riders, right? Or am I missing something big?

Remember when Sengoku talked about the new model and Takatora volunteered to test it?

Yeah. Energy Riders soon.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Waffleman_ posted:

Remember when Sengoku talked about the new model and Takatora volunteered to test it?

Yeah. Energy Riders soon.
Hopefully not quite that soon, we haven't seen a single finisher from Zangetsu. Hell, we're only getting Takatora transforming next episode. No Arms Changes too..

I do think that's the only way to interpret that phrase though.

Also I thought this'd be a filler-ish episode, what with going from "Riders clash because of their ideologies" to "monster attacks" like a normal Rider series. My fears were unfounded. Not only is Micchy still the best, we also got more information about how Yggdrasill works. Burning the evidence down is a pretty effective way to keep the whole Helheim Forest thing under wraps, that's for sure. Takatora's probably right in being scared though, if the cracks start appearing more and more. It's basically entirely dumb luck that the only people that found them are either dead (worker guy), MIA (Yuuya), Riders (Kouta, Micchy, Kaito) or a Rider's close friend (Mai). If THAT ended up becoming common knowledge...I foresee difficulty for both Yggdrasill's research and the whole Lock Seed business Sid's keeping up.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I've really warmed up to Mai over the last few episodes.

EDIT: I really want someone to try slotting one of those crap sunflower seed lockseeds into a belt just to see what would happen.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I seriously need to know who directed Episode 9. It felt like a Sakamoto episode but with sambadinos wrapping up there's no way he'd have been able to, and imdb's got nothing.

Shogun Warrior
Apr 25, 2008
Episode 9 was directed by Shojiro Nakagawa, who also directed Episode 8. He's a Toei veteran who I believe has worked on the company's hero shows in some capacity since Dairanger in 1993. I don't think he's ever had a Main Director credit, but has instead been directing individual episodes of various shows since Timeranger. He directed at least one episode of every Sentai season made from Time until Go-onger. After Go-onger, Toei began moving staff around more fluidly between Sentai and Rider, so Nakagawa did four episodes of Kiva, then twelve episodes of Shinkenger (including work on the pilot), 10 episodes of Goseiger, 10 episodes of Gokaiger (including work on the pilot), four episodes of Go-Busters, and thirteen episodes of Wizard.

If memory serves, Nakagawa's done quite a bit of work as an action and stunt coordinator besides his directing work, and I believe he did some work with Sakamoto on the Fourze movie in this capacity. There's definitely some Sakamoto flair in his recent work, though I find his overall style hews much closer to Toei's classic look than Sakamoto's does. That's not a bad thing at all. There's a lot of vintage directing techniques Toei abandoned over the years that Nakagawa puts to good use. In particular, Nakagawa is big on making the lead actors do more stunts and action than most directors will want to bother with (which really shows when he does episodes of stuff like Go-onger or Goseiger). He's also big on over-the-top cinematography to help set the mood.

When it comes to tracking down per episode staff information for Toei's shows, IMDB is pretty much useless. The best possible source would be the episode credits, but most fansubs won't bother with the difficulty of translating even the basic ones (and understandably so). Failing that, check out the articles for various shows on Japanese wikipedia. The default format for documenting these shows usually involves a chart toward the bottom of the article that details episode titles, MotWs, and writing/directing credits for each episode. These are really handy, and I wish the English wikipedia pages for these shows hosted translated versions of them.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
I just caught up to the series, and since no one else has mentioned it, we're not really sure where Inves come from, beyond "being from the forest", right? Maybe I missed something super obvious, but it seemed pretty clear to me that the Worker guy disappeared after checking out the fruit. Maybe Inves are humans who eat the fruit and transform/get mutated and addicted.

Also, Micchy is the best Rider, I don't know how you could argue otherwise.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Sinner Sandwich posted:

Maybe I missed something super obvious, but it seemed pretty clear to me that the Worker guy disappeared after checking out the fruit. Maybe Inves are humans who eat the fruit and transform/get mutated and addicted.

The Bat Inves featured in this episode is the same one that was at the end of the last episode attacking a different dude. I'm pretty sure the implication is that Kouta and Mitsy's guesses are right and both dudes just got mauled.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
That's disappointing if true because with the way the guy was obsessed about eating the fruit, and his helmet found there, I thought for sure that Bat Inves was supposed to be him. Kinda like a "forbidden fruit" type thing going on. If he wasn't Bat Inves then it's probably unlikely that he was one of the weaker ones, meaning he probably did just get killed. Though I wonder why the fruit didn't have the same effect on the Beat Riders (aside from the one guy saying it looked kinda good).

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Twelve by Pies posted:

That's disappointing if true because with the way the guy was obsessed about eating the fruit, and his helmet found there, I thought for sure that Bat Inves was supposed to be him. Kinda like a "forbidden fruit" type thing going on. If he wasn't Bat Inves then it's probably unlikely that he was one of the weaker ones, meaning he probably did just get killed. Though I wonder why the fruit didn't have the same effect on the Beat Riders (aside from the one guy saying it looked kinda good).

Because of the belt. Once they put it on, it doesn't affect them anymore.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Er sorry, yeah, got screwed up and forgot that Beat Riders was only a term for the Riders proper. I meant the other members of Team Gaim.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

Er sorry, yeah, got screwed up and forgot that Beat Riders was only a term for the Riders proper.
It isn't - the transforming guys are Armoured Riders, everyone who does the street dancing stuff is a Beat Rider which is where the Armoured Rider name comes from. I imagine they were less allured by the fruit because they knew it was a Lockseed and that changed how they approached it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Caphi posted:

The Bat Inves featured in this episode is the same one that was at the end of the last episode attacking a different dude. I'm pretty sure the implication is that Kouta and Mitsy's guesses are right and both dudes just got mauled.

Well we don't actually have a hard chronology on when, exactly, that scene with the worker staring at the fruit takes place. The way the scene was shot, and the worker's actions, implied something more sinister than just "oh he's about to be mauled."

Speaking of which, I wonder what happened to Yuuya anyway.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Well we don't actually have a hard chronology on when, exactly, that scene with the worker staring at the fruit takes place. The way the scene was shot, and the worker's actions, implied something more sinister than just "oh he's about to be mauled."

Speaking of which, I wonder what happened to Yuuya anyway.

I'd been assuming he had been turned into the Inves Kouta fought and killed in the first episode. That would be a pretty dark twist.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Too dark given the tone of the series so far.

Can't wait for that tonal backlash, let me tell you. Unless it never happens.

Only it kind of already has.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Fred is on posted:

I'd been assuming he had been turned into the Inves Kouta fought and killed in the first episode. That would be a pretty dark twist.

I had pretty much assumed the same also, is that too dark/unusual for a KR series? I have experience with Gen's previous work but this is my first Kamen Rider show so I don't know what they can get away with. The show has been surprisingly light hearted so far, but I have been expecting it to take a darker turn, like rider belts are powered by the souls of tortured orphans courtesy of Yggdrasill corp or something.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Kamen Rider can go to some very, very dark places.

Keep in mind, for the entire Showa Era (excluding RX because RX is a puss) all of the enemies, unless specifically stated otherwise, were once people. Normal, every day people, turned into horrific monsters and soulless cyborgs. More than a few episodes actually show us the guy who becomes the cyborg/monster, either as a good person before or a nasty one.

One Sky Rider episode deals with a woman who retains her mind in her cyborg form and is horrified at what she has become, trying to suicide charge the villains but ultimately dying in vain.

Then of course you have Kuuga where people got slaughtered in the dozens and hundreds, Faiz was another case of The Monsters Were People, Agito had murder mysteries and all that fun stuff...

Kamen Rider is traditionally more mature and serious than Sentai, skewed to an older audience. Until Decade/Double, when that started skewing the other way.

I honestly don't think Gaim could handle such themes though for one reason-it's goofy as gently caress for reasons beyond the fruit theme. There's Bravo entirely on his own, and also Gaim himself is a goddamn Loony Toons character as we see on several occasions. The tone shift would be way too harsh and jarring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There are currently actual lock lockseeds on sale on eBay right now for super cheap. Search "Gaim dial lock."

• Locked thread