Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

tehloki posted:

Why does every woman in my office have a space heater? Do they not make any women's clothing that is warm enough to wear in a 70 degree environment that is acceptable in a "business casual" workplace? Do women lose body heat faster than men?

This is relevant to a lot of tickets where the entire sales floor will yell POWER OUTAGE and I'll go around and unplug all the space heaters and turn the (single, for an entire ~20 seat room) breaker back on only to find them using the heaters again 20 minutes later. Sometimes the heater is just pointed directly at the computer case, as if to spite me.

Once we got a call about a machine that couldn't power on. Problem? The space heater pointing at the front of the case melted/warped it to the point where the power button no longer made a connection...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
If you run any unauthorized electronics north of a phone charger around here, youll probably get hanged.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

demonachizer posted:

Once we got a call about a machine that couldn't power on. Problem? The space heater pointing at the front of the case melted/warped it to the point where the power button no longer made a connection...

At home, on the "LAN shelf" in the basement, there is a work light hanging next to my parents' router. I didn't notice until well after we had moved in that the light was close enough that the side of the router is very noticeably melted.

This has had no adverse effects on the function of the unit at all, so I'm pretty happy, especially since this is some total home-user Netgear G router.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I have a space heater. :blush:

The server room ac blows into my office and I have to use this pretty much all year.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Inspector_666 posted:

This has had no adverse effects on the function of the unit at all, so I'm pretty happy, especially since this is some total home-user Netgear G router.

If it had been one of the recent Linksys it would've probably set your house on fire, those motherfuckers run really hot (to the point of not being able to work well here in Puerto Rico because of the summer heat).

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

At home, on the "LAN shelf" in the basement, there is a work light hanging next to my parents' router. I didn't notice until well after we had moved in that the light was close enough that the side of the router is very noticeably melted.

I did a similar thing in college. I had a huge CRT monitor, and used the standard desk lamp that came with the room to provide some pseudo-bias lighting. Except the desk lamp was too strong and melted the top of the monitor housing when I left it on overnight. Also no ill effects!

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Dick Trauma posted:

I have a space heater. :blush:

The server room ac blows into my office and I have to use this pretty much all year.

Can't you just close the register? If not, they make magnetic register covers.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

TWBalls posted:

Can't you just close the register? If not, they make magnetic register covers.

It's an office so there's a large diffuser grilled off in the ceiling. Also I don't care enough to deal with it, especially since we're moving at the end of the month. Well, if the project manager can stave off the developing clusterfucks.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

tehloki posted:

Why does every woman in my office have a space heater? Do they not make any women's clothing that is warm enough to wear in a 70 degree environment that is acceptable in a "business casual" workplace? Do women lose body heat faster than men?

This is relevant to a lot of tickets where the entire sales floor will yell POWER OUTAGE and I'll go around and unplug all the space heaters and turn the (single, for an entire ~20 seat room) breaker back on only to find them using the heaters again 20 minutes later. Sometimes the heater is just pointed directly at the computer case, as if to spite me.

hormone fluctuations, such as women have, give you hella chills yeah.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

pienipple posted:

hormone fluctuations, such as women have, give you hella chills yeah.

I hear sweaters are fairly inexpensive. They also don't overload circuits or burn up UPS's.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
A ticket came in:

:v: hey, the way I do <thing> is with <steps>, correct?
:) you should be able to do it with <other steps> but it looks like that's bugged, so yes, do <steps>.
:v: so that's <steps>, right?
:) yes.
:v: so, to confirm, it's <steps>, and this won't cause any problems?
:) yes, it's <steps>, and they won't cause any problems.
:v: so again, <steps>?

:bang:

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Even with slacks and a heavy sweater I would get cold to the point of having my fingers go numb at my old place of employment. And I can't exactly code well while wearing gloves!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

frogbert posted:

I think it goes something like:
- User has a lnk to a file on their desktop.
- User right clicks on it and selects "Open With"
- User Selects "Choose Default Program", "Internet Explorer" and "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file"
- ???
- Internet explorer is now associated with all lnk files instead of the file type the lnk was pointing to.

Another poster here said that's how he could replicate it, but only on a terminal server. I've never been able to replicate this behavior.

Perhaps redirected desktops have something to do with it?

Except links don't give you the Open With option in their context menu. If it were any other sort of file, I could see how they did it accidentally.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I decided to get in the holiday spirit by making a RAM wreath to hang on my office door. I dug up a few positively ancient, dust-covered 32MB PC100 sticks out of hundreds sitting in junk storage and whipped one up:

Well, my boss apparently thinks those long-forgotten sticks are literally gold wrapped in bitcoins.

:clint: You and your damned wreath! Do you know how expensive those things are? Take it down and test those to see which ones you screwed up! Bah, humbug!

I get the sense it's gonna be a merry first Christmas at my new job :jerkbag:

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Tell him he can take the $.25 cents they're worth out of your pay

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

guppy posted:

How much do you guys think a job requiring that skillset is actually worth, before factoring the silly hours they apparently expect? I've seen estimates ranging from $150-200k.

Wonder what they actually plan to offer.

EDIT: Also, I guess they plan to put all that on one person with absolutely no team or backup? :laugh:

There's someone at my work that has that job. 24/7 on call support for the biggest assholes in the entire world, doctors.

And then people talk mad poo poo because she has a bad attitude and annoys people. I try not to join in because that could just as easily be me someday.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

larchesdanrew posted:

I decided to get in the holiday spirit by making a RAM wreath to hang on my office door. I dug up a few positively ancient, dust-covered 32MB PC100 sticks out of hundreds sitting in junk storage and whipped one up:

Well, my boss apparently thinks those long-forgotten sticks are literally gold wrapped in bitcoins.

:clint: You and your damned wreath! Do you know how expensive those things are? Take it down and test those to see which ones you screwed up! Bah, humbug!

I get the sense it's gonna be a merry first Christmas at my new job :jerkbag:

I made a thing like that, but I included the polarizer from an old smashed laptop screen.

I call it a Nerdcatcher

and I gave it to a GIRL

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I don't have a space heater. :colbert:

However there are way too many people in my org who use them. (Yes, it's mostly women.) They're against the rules and against fire code but I can't get anyone with authority to actually give a drat. When we have fire inspections, we go around making people hide the drat things. And yes, people trip circuit beakers with them all the time. :sigh:

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

skooma512 posted:

There's someone at my work that has that job. 24/7 on call support for the biggest assholes in the entire world, doctors.

And then people talk mad poo poo because she has a bad attitude and annoys people. I try not to join in because that could just as easily be me someday.

I'll vouch for the fact that there are few things as unpleasant in this world as waking up to a page at 3am from a cranky doctor. Health IT is a stinking cesspit.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Pendent posted:

I'll vouch for the fact that there are few things as unpleasant in this world as waking up to a page at 3am from a cranky doctor. Health IT is a stinking cesspit.

Especially when they shoot and scoot with tickets. Even at max readiness (I'm at my PC anyway and have my blackberry on my desk) it still takes me 5 minutes to get in the system and poke around a little bit to see what's wrong. By that time they've already moved away from wherever they were and it's up to me to guess where they skittered off to. At least nurses stay put and are usually pleasant enough.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
so a desktop computer came in.

I have no idea why. There is no note attached and no name in the shipping label, just what office it was from. It was wrapped in a single piece of bubble wrap with a few inches of space around it. Looking at how badly the box is beaten up, it was probably knocked around a fair bit. My bench is full so I haven't tried to power it on but it was shipped by courier from a very remote site so I am not hopeful.

I found out that a local trucking company is looking for an IT manager so I threw my hat in the ring. The manager there is a friend of a friend and is leaving to take a job in Vancouver. Finally, my experience in the trucking industry may count for something! I spoke to the guy who was leaving, his big complaint is that it was more a Deskside role than a managerial role, though it will be manager level pay.

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 3, 2013

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
New guy started on my team, and the funny thing is I knew him from when I worked helpdesk at the regional medical network. He was one of the field support folks, and we spent a few minutes reminiscing about how lovely things got shortly after I left. Looks like I managed to dodge a howitzer shell.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Sirotan posted:

When we have fire inspections, we go around making people hide the drat things.

There's your problem right there.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

stubblyhead posted:

There's your problem right there.

I'd like to take them away from people for good but the head of 'facilities' is the decider on this one and he either doesn't care or doesn't have enough of a spine to deal with the incredible amount of bitching he would have to put up with this one group of employees who act like whiny spoiled children and need to have their offices at 90 degrees year-round.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Would it not just work out cheaper to have the AC do the heating, rather than a million space heaters trying to warm up a space the AC is keeping cool?

Or doesn't your system work like that?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Caged posted:

Would it not just work out cheaper to have the AC do the heating, rather than a million space heaters trying to warm up a space the AC is keeping cool?

Or doesn't your system work like that?

No see, the HVAC is already keeping the building at a comfortable temp that most people are happy with. These are special snowflakes who need it 20 degrees warmer spring/summer/fall/winter. They can't just dress warmer or something.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
The building where I work is setup as a single AC zone, so the temperature is set for 68 degrees year round. However, they forgot to think of things like how people closest to the server room will get far more cold air then the people at the front of the building. So people working in our group wear jackets year round inside, while its sometimes pleasantly warm at the front of the building. Space heaters are essentially useless unless you have an office, as the ceiling is high enough and there is enough air moving to push the warm air away.
While they could raise the temp to 70 which everyone liked, the building manager has an office with baseboard heating and doesn't give a poo poo.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I have no obvious explanation for it but sometimes I will be dressed perfectly normally and be totally comfortable, and then suddenly I won't be and I'll want it to be warmer. Space heaters are all over the place here and don't cause any problems though.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah, I have a zip up sweater at work for when I'm cold.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
There are days when I will be at work and will literally be rubbing my hands together or blowing on them as they are freezing from typing in the cold air. Sadly wearing gloves while programming doesn't work out.

ExtraFox
May 22, 2003

~all of these candy~

Khisanth Magus posted:

There are days when I will be at work and will literally be rubbing my hands together or blowing on them as they are freezing from typing in the cold air. Sadly wearing gloves while programming doesn't work out.

Feel free to mock me, but I asked for these last Christmas and they've been a lifesaver:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ebcc/

I don't know if I have just terrible circulation or what, but my hands are forever freezing and most of my day is writing up case documentation or testing. These have been a lifesaver.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
Hmm... I guess feeling hot all the time is just something that (sorta) runs in my family. I know my mom is always complaining that it's hot when everyone else is complaining that it's cold. Hell, she could go outside when it's Winter with a short sleeved shirt and still be sweating (Of couse, this is California, so it's not like it's snowing). I'm kinda the same way. I just got back from the bank and was miserable because I thought it was hot as gently caress in there, yet I see multiple people wearing sweaters/jackets. It's not like we were in and out quickly either as it was a rather long line, so we were there a good 20 or so minutes.

At any rate, with the people here, all of the heaters I've seen are pointed at their legs and none of them are programming/coding, so that's not really an excuse here. The really odd thing, is that I've seen some people with a heater at their legs, but a plain fan pointed at their body. :confused:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ExtraFox posted:

Feel free to mock me, but I asked for these last Christmas and they've been a lifesaver:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ebcc/

I don't know if I have just terrible circulation or what, but my hands are forever freezing and most of my day is writing up case documentation or testing. These have been a lifesaver.

I got really excited until I saw that they were out of stock and the last comments on this item were from a year ago. :negative:

ExtraFox
May 22, 2003

~all of these candy~

Kyrosiris posted:

I got really excited until I saw that they were out of stock and the last comments on this item were from a year ago. :negative:

Amazon is here to rescue you: http://www.amazon.com/Smoko-Toast-USB-Handwarmers/dp/B006FYRMM4

The ones at the Amazon link were the actual style I got. I think Smoko put out a few different styles of face on the toast plush parts.

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug
Yeah, from what I've seen people tend to run the gamut in terms of temperatures. I keep my house at a cool 60 degrees Fahrenheit and tend to start falling asleep around 80 degrees. Unfortunately the guy in the next office is super sensitive to the cold and sets his thermostat relatively high, and he gets most of the air conditioning. Until I started dieting recently and my body doesn't seem to be generating as much heat I would regularly just pass out in the middle of working when the temperature got over 80. I had to keep wearable ice packs in the freezer to stay cool enough. This wouldn't be half as bad if we weren't required to wear slacks and collared shirts. If I go back to eating 2000 calories a day the furnace kicks back up to full and things get uncomfortably warm.

I always found it interesting that people wider than me could have such low cold tolerances, I tend to think it's one of those things where your body can adjust to different temperatures if you take the time to keep things relatively consistent instead of running your house so hot it feels like you're about to spontaneously combust and then being sensitive when your work keeps things at 70 degrees.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Prosthetic_Mind posted:

Until I started dieting recently and my body doesn't seem to be generating as much heat I would regularly just pass out in the middle of working when the temperature got over 80. I had to keep wearable ice packs in the freezer to stay cool enough.

Dude are you loving Mr. Freeze or what?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Mattavist posted:

Dude are you loving Mr. Freeze or what?

loving Mr. Freeze would probably keep you cool.

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug
I know in the past I've had to explain to people that no, I'm not poor, walking around in the middle of Winter in t-shirt and shorts is comfortable to me. In terms of heat I used to be a walking space heater. Until I started getting off my rear end in the last few years I would lose weight in the winter just by training my body to cope with really low temperatures to raise my metabolism. In the summer I tend not to leave the house because all it takes is a couple minutes outside and I'm sweating like a pig, maybe an hour without water before dehydration becomes a serious problem.

My next move is going to be far to the north. I've always said that if we ever end up opening a branch in Alaska I'll be the first one to volunteer to move.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sirotan posted:

I'd like to take them away from people for good but the head of 'facilities' is the decider on this one and he either doesn't care or doesn't have enough of a spine to deal with the incredible amount of bitching he would have to put up with this one group of employees who act like whiny spoiled children and need to have their offices at 90 degrees year-round.

I think the point is to let them be seen during the fire inspection, so that they can be labeled fire hazards, so that you have justification in removing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chia
Dec 23, 2005

Capntastic posted:

loving Mr. Freeze would probably keep you cool.

:golfclap:

Prosthetic_Mind you should move to Finland/Sweden/Norway, the weather here is like made for you plus you get at least 5 weeks of paid vacation a year and all the other cool Soviet European benefits like healthcare.

• Locked thread