Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
Both of the wines I suggested should be pretty easy to find. I don't drink much Cabernet in the $10-30 price range, but I do buy some of the cheaper stuff to cook with and have a glass during. The wines I suggested aren't complex wines by any stretch, rather they are made in a "crowd pleasing" style, rich, sweet fruited (for a dry wine) with minimal tannic grip and lots of weight and flavor intensity. Basically really smooth and easy to drink.

For drinking at that price point I tend to buy Bordeaux when I want that style of wine but it's hard to suggest one because they are hard to find in some states due to the way those wines are distributed. (I think)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

Both of the wines I suggested should be pretty easy to find. I don't drink much Cabernet in the $10-30 price range, but I do buy some of the cheaper stuff to cook with and have a glass during. The wines I suggested aren't complex wines by any stretch, rather they are made in a "crowd pleasing" style, rich, sweet fruited (for a dry wine) with minimal tannic grip and lots of weight and flavor intensity. Basically really smooth and easy to drink.

For drinking at that price point I tend to buy Bordeaux when I want that style of wine but it's hard to suggest one because they are hard to find in some states due to the way those wines are distributed. (I think)

Cool, thanks.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hello goons, had a steak dinner the other night. Tried this Pinot Noir, I suspect it's double of retail. It's a Pinot Noir from Oregon California, guess the menu was wrong. called "Golden Eye", Anderson Valley 2010. Restaurant price is around USD 128, I suspect retail is half of that.

Verdict:

A much more complex body and I suppose "tanin" taste than the Macon burgundy red. Very apparent and strong nose. But less of a mineral taste compared to the other burdungy reds. I personally prefer the mineral taste, can goons please tell me what are the factors/grapes for mineral taste?

I like it, much more than the two paddocks, but I see this wine as "less newbie" (sorry if I'm not clear). It has a "deeper" taste to it. Reminds me of a Margaux of St. Julien I had ages ago.

Still, I feel like I'm losing reference to my standard of Clos de Vougeot. But going back to the standard after tasting 3 or 4 other bottles get pricey. If anyone got any tips or opinion, that's awesome. Budget wise I can still afford, but it's inching on the higher side if I want to develop a slightly deeper understanding in this hobby.

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

Oregon is starting to make some great skin-contact Pinot Gris that is a beautiful orange color. They are worth trying if you see them.

I was involved in a great tasting last night at St. Jack in PDX last night:

Looks like a good list. Now I'm going to copy it and put into a wine list to drink excel sheet. Oh and cheers to all the sommeliers out there. I was never much into wine until one day a sommelier introduced a really sweet frizzante for my family of non wine drinkers. We were never really into wine before but after that we got hooked because all we ever drank before were table wine bordeaux/cabernet. sauvignon :puke:

Sommeliers are great, they can read the social situation, offer the right wine, probably silently judge you and then give you newer choices the next time you visit them!

caberham fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 26, 2013

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002
One small note, Anderson Valley is in Mendocino County, California. I do like some of the pinots coming out of there, never tried that one though.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Drink and Fight posted:

Please suggest me some wines I can bring to Thanksgiving. I'm meeting my dude's parents. He says they like cabs. I don't think they're picky. There will be turkey. I'm in Oakland.

Go to http://www.klwines.com/

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Can anyone suggest a good wine shop in Chicago that might carry orange wines? Binny's doesn't carry them (at least not some of the bigger name producers I searched for) and most liquor stores I've been to are likely to never have even heard of them, so I really need a specialty wine shop that might have someone off-the-wall enough to stock them. I'm hoping to try something under $30 a bottle but unfortunately I'm at the point where I may just have to get something shipped from California.

edit: I could walk 3-4 blocks and try a $70 bottle at a wine bar, but that seems like too hefty an investment on something that I may not absolutely love.

edit 2: I'm also interested in "weirder" wines; things like spontaneous fermentation/wild yeast wines, etc, not just orange. I drink a lot of spontaneous fermentation beer so I'd like to see how that extends to the world of wine.

crazyfish fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 26, 2013

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

caberham posted:

A much more complex body and I suppose "tanin" taste than the Macon burgundy red. Very apparent and strong nose. But less of a mineral taste compared to the other burdungy reds. I personally prefer the mineral taste, can goons please tell me what are the factors/grapes for mineral taste?
Climate is a big factor in how Californian pinot turns out compared to French pinot. The hotter weather produces a riper grape with less acidity.

I'm somewhat new to describing wine, so I'm not completely sure I understand the "mineral" descriptor. I recently had a white from Burgundy that had a nose that reminded me of mineral water, but I've never used the term otherwise. I did a little research, and one wine expert found people tend to mean high acid and low fruit/oak when they use the term.

I can recall having one red from Burgundy, and I thought of it as earthy.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

crazyfish posted:

Can anyone suggest a good wine shop in Chicago that might carry orange wines? Binny's doesn't carry them (at least not some of the bigger name producers I searched for) and most liquor stores I've been to are likely to never have even heard of them, so I really need a specialty wine shop that might have someone off-the-wall enough to stock them. I'm hoping to try something under $30 a bottle but unfortunately I'm at the point where I may just have to get something shipped from California.

edit: I could walk 3-4 blocks and try a $70 bottle at a wine bar, but that seems like too hefty an investment on something that I may not absolutely love.

edit 2: I'm also interested in "weirder" wines; things like spontaneous fermentation/wild yeast wines, etc, not just orange. I drink a lot of spontaneous fermentation beer so I'd like to see how that extends to the world of wine.

Doing a little internet searching, The House of Glunz sells or used to sell them. Red & White also looks to be the sort of place that might have some. I have no direct knowledge about either of them, though. You may have to recalibrate your expectations for cost. These wines are pretty expensive, with most starting around $45. Pheasant's Tears out of Georgia (the country) is okay and inexpensive, but isn't as good as many of the others IMO. Coenobium Rusticum, which is made in a monastery to the north of Rome, might be a good option for you at around $30. I'm not aware of many other wines that fit your price point goal, though.

As for "weird" wines... that's a tough subject. Plenty of wines start fermentation without yeast inoculation, but that doesn't make them "wild" in the sense that it does with beer. Even the most eccentric wine makers aren't purposefully adding the sorts of wild yeasts you see in sour beer production. It's odd, but I love wild, funky flavors in beer, but HATE them in wine.

consensual poster fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Nov 27, 2013

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

Doing a little internet searching, The House of Glunz sells or used to sell them. Red & White also looks to be the sort of place that might have some. I have no direct knowledge about either of them, though. You may have to recalibrate your expectations for cost, though. These wines are pretty expensive, with most starting around $45. Pheasant's Tears out of Georgia (the country) is okay and inexpensive, but isn't as good as many of the others IMO. Coenobium Rusticum, which is made in a monastery to the north of Rome, might be a good option for you at around $30. I'm not aware of many other wines that fit your price point goal, though.

As for "weird" wines... that's a tough subject. Plenty of wines start fermentation without yeast inoculation, but that doesn't make them "wild" in the sense that it does with beer. Even the most eccentric wine makers aren't purposefully adding the sorts of wild yeasts you see in sour beer production. It's odd, but I love wild, funky flavors in beer, but HATE them in wine.

Thanks for this. I actually live pretty close to Red & White and could probably pop in there tomorrow if they're open.

One of the wines I was looking at having shipped from California was this one: http://www.beauregardvineyards.com/...der&maxRows=10& It comes pretty close to my price point and I've heard good things about it from a random youtube reviewer.

And thanks for the heads up on wild yeasts' role in wine. I guess it's something I'll just have to try for myself.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

crazyfish posted:

And thanks for the heads up on wild yeasts' role in wine. I guess it's something I'll just have to try for myself.

I don't mean to discourage you from seeking these wines out. They can just be a bit difficult to find because wine culture absolutely does NOT celebrate the presence of "wild" yeasts in wine. You will never find a wine person praising a wine for being loaded with flavors from Brettanomyces or Lactobacillus, even if they love these flavors in the resulting wine. Instead, you will probably get some blather about how "natural" or "alive" the wine is. Someone will almost certainly mention terroir and everyone around them will nod sagely.

You should probably look for tastings of "natural" wines in your area. Some of these will be clean, delicious, and absolutely NOT what you are looking for. :) Others will taste like stagnant pond water, or perhaps like grapes fermented inside of a pig's anus, which they could very well be given that "natural" has no agreed upon meaning. The craziest wine I had recently was by a producer called Clos Ouvert in Chile, made by a Frenchman, that was fermented in an ox skin. A wine maker who tried it at the tasting I was at joked that it had every wine flaw known to man, but they all managed to cancel each other out. It was funky and "wild" as hell. I didn't like it, but I suspect that you might. Also, you should look for the wines of Frank Cornelissen. If you don't like those, then you probably don't like wildness in wine. I think they suck.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

I SHOULD GO AND GET FUCKED
If you want something that expresses natural winemaking (and biodynamics) without taking it nearly as far as Cornelissen, Nicolas Joly's wines are pretty widely available and delicious. His entry level bottling is excellent.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

that Vai sound posted:

I'm somewhat new to describing wine, so I'm not completely sure I understand the "mineral" descriptor. I recently had a white from Burgundy that had a nose that reminded me of mineral water, but I've never used the term otherwise. I did a little research, and one wine expert found people tend to mean high acid and low fruit/oak when they use the term.

I can recall having one red from Burgundy, and I thought of it as earthy.

I struggled with the mineral description for a while. Eventually I started using it when something tastes like stones, like that dirty, stony taste you get from walking down a gravel road. Or river stones, but you have to put a few of those in your mouth to get that one. Sometimes really gritty tannin can also remind me of these flavors depending on how they come across.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

crazyfish posted:

Check out Idlewild Wines, and Ryme Cellars. Both are owned by young couples with solid winemaking backgrounds and knowledge, so the wines aren't VA traps or full of brett, but are made using the "weirder" techniques you're looking for.

From the Idlewild website:

Stitecin fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 27, 2013

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Thanks everyone for recommendations. I just came back from Red and White with a bottle of Coenobium Rusticum and a '08 Caparone Nebbiolo on a recommendation from the guy at the shop.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
Is a vertical tasting of the same line of wine from the same winery a good way of getting to understand how aging affects wine? Different years produce different grape qualities, and the wine makers may tweak the formula some, but should it still stay close enough to be a good sampling?

The only problem I see is finding consecutive years of the same wine. I might come across two different vintages in stores, but more than that seems unlikely.

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002

that Vai sound posted:

Is a vertical tasting of the same line of wine from the same winery a good way of getting to understand how aging affects wine? Different years produce different grape qualities, and the wine makers may tweak the formula some, but should it still stay close enough to be a good sampling?

The only problem I see is finding consecutive years of the same wine. I might come across two different vintages in stores, but more than that seems unlikely.

If you want to explore the effects of aging on wine I think you really only need two vintages of the same wine: one from a recent vintage, and one from like 10-20 years ago. Vertical lineups are great, and can really illustrate the differences in a region's vintages, but are impractical and expensive to anyone not in the trade. Check out winebid.com and try to score some older bottles in good condition to start exploring, and see if you can get the same winery's current release.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

that Vai sound posted:

If you have any wineries nearby, you can try giving them a call and seeing if something can be arranged, but as Crimson suggested, it can be expensive.

If you're buying the bottles yourself, keep two things in mind: For blended wines, the blend can vary drastically from year to year for many wines. Second, in many climates, vintage variation can be enormous. Do your research, make sure you're buying two wines that share similar cepage and similar vintages. For bonus points, grab a bottle from a very different vintage and compare!

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
One of the factors in wine aging is the cork breathing a little bit, right? Is it really able to breath if the foil wrapper is surrounding it?

surf animal
Aug 25, 2005

caberham posted:

Hello goons, had a steak dinner the other night. Tried this Pinot Noir, I suspect it's double of retail. It's a Pinot Noir from Oregon California, guess the menu was wrong. called "Golden Eye", Anderson Valley 2010. Restaurant price is around USD 128, I suspect retail is half of that.

Verdict:

I like it, much more than the two paddocks, but I see this wine as "less newbie" (sorry if I'm not clear). It has a "deeper" taste to it. Reminds me of a Margaux of St. Julien I had ages ago.

Still, I feel like I'm losing reference to my standard of Clos de Vougeot. But going back to the standard after tasting 3 or 4 other bottles get pricey. If anyone got any tips or opinion, that's awesome. Budget wise I can still afford, but it's inching on the higher side if I want to develop a slightly deeper understanding in this hobby.

Goldeneye is a second label from Duckhorn, I've seen it retail from $45-$65 around local shops/grocery stores.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

that Vai sound posted:

One of the factors in wine aging is the cork breathing a little bit, right? Is it really able to breath if the foil wrapper is surrounding it?

Yes, and yes. The quantities are small, obviously, but a little oxygen transfer is all that's needed, not a lot. Lots is, also of course, undesirable. Not really sure if that's what you're looking for here?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

that Vai sound posted:

The seal between the foil and the cork/bottle is much looser than the seal formed between the cork and the inside of the bottleneck so the effect of the foil is negligible compared to the cork. The volumes of air we're talking about here are fractions of a milliliter per hour or something so it doesn't need to be a very big gap.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

surf animal posted:

Goldeneye is a sister label to Duckhorn, I've seen it retail from $45-$65 around local shops/grocery stores.

Goldeneye's second label is Migration. Duckhorn is under the same ownership umbrella as Goldeneye, Decoy, and Paraduxx but they all have different focus varieties and/or are in different AVA's so there's not really a first second third type relationship between them.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
FYI I have it on good authority that Goldeneye does or at least did regularly blend Petite Sirrah into their Pinot. Being in the industry I try not to be too elitist about thing like this. However, I find the crime of Petite Sirrah into Pinot unforgivable.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

One r in Durif.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Yeah it's one of my brain glitches to always give Petite Sirah two Rs. Also thanks for reminding me what the South Africans call it. I can never remember that word. I'm not a fan of it in general. I have never found one I was even remotely fond of. I am an ostentatious "old world" wine drinker, but I really want for there to be a good varietal that is more American than just about anything else. I guess Zin will have to hold on to the crown for a little while longer.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Some of the Rutherglen Durifs have a pretty good reputation if you enjoy a wine that can be consumed using a knife and fork. Massive, just not especially subtle or elegant.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Overwined posted:

FYI I have it on good authority that Goldeneye does or at least did regularly blend Petite Sirrah into their Pinot. Being in the industry I try not to be too elitist about thing like this. However, I find the crime of Petite Sirrah into Pinot unforgivable.

Is that why the Goldeneye tasted a bit "different" from my other Burgundy red's?

Oh and if you have any wine recommendations for your low/mid/high tier that would be awesome! You set the budget.

Lawrence Edward
Mar 28, 2013
I'm a big fan of dessert wines and recently discovered Trockenbeerenauslese when I ventured into a new wine store in town. I enjoy Eisweins and Moscatos if I'm not interested in spending too much. This was a 2002 Hopler and was the most amazing thing I've ever imbibed. I purchased all 5 bottles that he had which ran me about $25/bottle. I also tried a couple Sauternes and didn't enjoy them nearly as much. Unfortunately, his distributor doesn't have any more. I've been all over the internet and am saddened to not be able to find any more 2002 Hoplers. Does anyone have any suggestions for buying more TBAs, in Kansas, or from the internet, while staying under $30 per half bottle? Or, alternately, wines with really similar profiles to TBA in that price range.

edit - I'm coming up empty at every liquor store in Kansas I've tried for any kinds of Trockenbeerenauslese, not just Hopler Trockenbeerenauslese. Admittedly, I've only tried 3-4 of the bigger ones around Kansas City.

Lawrence Edward fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 5, 2013

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

caberham posted:

Is that why the Goldeneye tasted a bit "different" from my other Burgundy red's?

Oh and if you have any wine recommendations for your low/mid/high tier that would be awesome! You set the budget.

It's 14.5% - it's a monster. High brix and low acidity, too. 50:1 ratio. A lot of Burgundy (though by no means not all) will be much less, well, big.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

Lawrence Edward posted:

I'm a big fan of dessert wines and recently discovered Trockenbeerenauslese when I ventured into a new wine store in town. I enjoy Eisweins and Moscatos if I'm not interested in spending too much. This was a 2002 Hopler and was the most amazing thing I've ever imbibed. I purchased all 5 bottles that he had which ran me about $25/bottle. I also tried a couple Sauternes and didn't enjoy them nearly as much. Unfortunately, his distributor doesn't have any more. I've been all over the internet and am saddened to not be able to find any more 2002 Hoplers. Does anyone have any suggestions for buying more TBAs, in Kansas, or from the internet, while staying under $30 per half bottle? Or, alternately, wines with really similar profiles to TBA in that price range.

edit - I'm coming up empty at every liquor store in Kansas I've tried for any kinds of Trockenbeerenauslese, not just Hopler Trockenbeerenauslese. Admittedly, I've only tried 3-4 of the bigger ones around Kansas City.

TBA under $30 (or even under $50) is freakish, I'm not surprised you're having trouble finding them. You may have better luck with beerenauslese, they tend to run for considerably less and the quality is often comparable, just a slightly different profile. Less concentrated and jammy; fresher and brighter.

It sounds like you really like the balance of the acid in TBAs (compared to the moderate acid of Sauternes), so other high quality cool-climate dessert wines may satisfy you: Quarts de Chaume & Bonnezeaux from Loire, Tokaji, and passito method dessert wines from Northern Italy all come to mind.

Lawrence Edward
Mar 28, 2013

Kasumeat posted:

TBA under $30 (or even under $50) is freakish, I'm not surprised you're having trouble finding them. You may have better luck with beerenauslese, they tend to run for considerably less and the quality is often comparable, just a slightly different profile. Less concentrated and jammy; fresher and brighter.

It sounds like you really like the balance of the acid in TBAs (compared to the moderate acid of Sauternes), so other high quality cool-climate dessert wines may satisfy you: Quarts de Chaume & Bonnezeaux from Loire, Tokaji, and passito method dessert wines from Northern Italy all come to mind.

Well that's a bummer about the price. I saw them on the internet in the $30-50 price range for some TBAs and similar in Europe, so just assumed that was the standard pricing for entry TBAs.
On your advice I just picked up an Esterhazy 2009 Beerenauslese at the store. Will try it tomorrow and let you know. They didn't have a Quarts de Chaume or Bonnezeaux. They had a Takaji for $50, but wine guy said that he couldn't absolutely recommend it because he compared this specific one more to a Sauternes than a TBA.

surf animal
Aug 25, 2005

Stitecin posted:

Goldeneye's second label is Migration. Duckhorn is under the same ownership umbrella as Goldeneye, Decoy, and Paraduxx but they all have different focus varieties and/or are in different AVA's so there's not really a first second third type relationship between them.

Thanks for the clarification on this one. Wrote that out as I was reading on second label origins.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again
The best wine culture article and video collection I've ever seen. It's by Vice, so you know it's going to be special:

http://www.vice.com/read/the-weird-world-of-wine

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
Vice also did a couple of videos related to wine, one on Nicolas Joly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2qBIgTZodU

and another on Korean poo wine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYc1XqfU-Jo

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
The bottle of wine I tried today had sediment coating all parts of the inside. What's the right way to pour from a bottle like that?

This had been sitting upright and still for about three weeks. I noticed the sediment after the first pour, and I kept pouring from the same side after that. Only a little bit of fine sediment ended up in the glasses.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey goons, tried this pinot noir

I really liked it, it felt similar to a "nice burgundy". Had the nicer after taste to it and not just a flat sharp taste. Great nose, great body. Price at the shop was 370 HKD (47 USD). However, I'm on my quest to find something cheaper.

Second bottle, Burgundy red -

I didn't like it. It didn't have that Burguny finish and just had that sharp tannin taste without any other notes that I could pick up. Great nose though. Perhaps it was not decanted properly? I don't know, It tasted better when the wine hit the bottom or maybe I just got drunk and didn't care. It was 600 HKD for 2. 300 HKD (38 USD) and I think it tastes like generic Cab Sauv table wine.

caberham fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 24, 2013

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

caberham posted:

I really liked it, it felt similar to a "nice burgundy".
Oregon may be better for Pinot Noir than California or Washington if you want a Burgundy taste. The climate is more temperate.

quote:

I didn't like it. It didn't have that Burguny finish and just had that sharp tannin taste without any other notes that I could pick up. Great nose though. Perhaps it was not decanted properly? I don't know, It tasted better when the wine hit the bottom or maybe I just got drunk and didn't care.
I looked up a vintage report for 2011 Burgundy, and it sounded like complicated year. I doubt decanting was an issue. It may have been served too warm, or maybe the bottle was flawed.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

that Vai sound posted:

Oregon may be better for Pinot Noir than California or Washington if you want a Burgundy taste. The climate is more temperate.

Yeah I'm looking for the 20 dollar Pinot Noir! Thanks for the suggestions

quote:

I looked up a vintage report for 2011 Burgundy, and it sounded like complicated year. I doubt decanting was an issue. It may have been served too warm, or maybe the bottle was flawed.

I actually served it slightly chilled. At first I thought it was the temperature dulling the tastes but nope. It was just flat out bad (excuse my pun).

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

that Vai sound posted:

The bottle of wine I tried today had sediment coating all parts of the inside. What's the right way to pour from a bottle like that?

This had been sitting upright and still for about three weeks. I noticed the sediment after the first pour, and I kept pouring from the same side after that. Only a little bit of fine sediment ended up in the glasses.

The stuff on the sides shouldn't come out when you pour as it should have stuck to the glass. Just pour it very slowly and steadily into a decanter, hold a light under the neck so you can see when the solids are starting to come out. You can rinse out the bottle and chuck the decanted wine back in if you want people to be able to see the label, or just throw the remaining wine and lumpy bits into a bolognese sauce.

If any sediment gets into the decanter don't worry too much. Anyone with any knowledge of wine will accept a little sediment in and old vintage, it's just part of the experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

gay picnic defence posted:

Anyone with any knowledge of wine will accept a little sediment in and old vintage, it's just part of the experience.
Heh, that's the thing that surprised me. It was a 2007 Syrah. Much more sediment than I was expecting.