Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Mantle posted:

I'm applying to be a legal officer which is a purple trade so I get to choose my colors. Which working uniform is the best?

Navy no.5's :getin:

E: realtalk IMO the navy's black on white with gold looks the best of the three uniforms, the air force one just looks ghastly, and the army one is pretty good too.

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Yeah the navy looks best but everyone will think he's a douchebag MARS officer. Fate worse than death IMO.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Navy uniform is the most stylin. Can you still have a beard in the navy?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DrakeriderCa posted:

Navy uniform is the most stylin. Can you still have a beard in the navy?

I could be wrong but I think when they're on shore they're allowed to grow a beard, but if they're at sea they have to shave everyday.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I figured the whole reason they grew beards was to protect them from the salt :confused:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

and to save fresh water or something?

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!
Not allowed to have beards at sea now because the DRAGR mask needs a "perfect seal", because y'know, the CHEMOX masks never had that... :downsgun:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ruse posted:

Not allowed to have beards at sea now because the DRAGR mask needs a "perfect seal", because y'know, the CHEMOX masks never had that... :downsgun:

Was I right about beards allowed when ashore though?

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Royal Navy is allowed beards all teh drat time. Unless you're going for a new respirator; they demand you remove it to get a good seal during the fitting process. But you're allowed to have a beard all other times. Even at sea, or fire training.

As a matelot who often operates close in to the RAF (who aren't allowed beards, only gash moustashes), it's understood that we must rub their faces in it as much as possible.

Movember gets interesting. We're normally given permission to grow a beard for the month and then shave it off into whatever style we want for the last day.

And related to aviation training chat, I wish our flying training sorties were more like exams for normal courses. The sorties are generally nails.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
Yes, as of 2009 (iirc) Navy can still have beards unless you're posted to a sea-going unit (aka a ship).

Pretty stupid change since we've used Chemox for aeons and if you didn't have a proper seal with that you'd be completely hosed as your (external) lungs slowly lose inflation. I always lost my seal anyway as soon as I became a sweaty sopping mess (which would be every single fire). Drager is pressurized and on-demand so you only need enough of a seal to activate the valve and get a blast of nice (cool!) air.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Shouldn't we be changing the name of the thread to Canadian ARMED Forces? Or are is too scary to the public?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMsqEph7a8I

scaper exile
Feb 27, 2008

swagger like us posted:

Shouldn't we be changing the name of the thread to Canadian ARMED Forces? Or are is too scary to the public?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMsqEph7a8I

1 out of 512 Canadians is wearing Cadpat to work every day...we really are taking over :tinfoil:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

My OT to AESOP just got passed up, and I'm waiting for an interview. Does anyone know how long it usually takes?
Should I be studying anything?

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

stevobob fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 16, 2017

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Good thing I didn't burn any bridges at the regiment.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Direct entry and internal intake (CT/OT) numbers are different.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Hey bros don't have any job-induced medical problems OK? Should be easy to avoid in this safe, comfy line of work. Buncha freeloaders anyway.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/8-veterans-affairs-employees-to-remain-with-17-000-cases-1.2445088

Also don't get PTSD and become suicidal - the Honourable Minister will describe your death as "troubling," similar to stepping in a pile of dog poo.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...rticle15657839/

(I would bet this suicide cluster ends up at about 9 bodies, though I susect that, from on high, the kibosh has been put on reporting any further ones. Bad optics, after all. Can't distract from jobs, growth and prosperity for Canadian Families.)

Stogran was just on CBC and was lost for words due to rage.

compressioncut fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 29, 2013

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo, I knew Halmrast. What did he end up in club ed for?

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
No idea. The JAG site is on the regular internet and would show a court martial. edit - http://www.jmc-cmj.forces.gc.ca/en/res-dec.page

Anyway, more on this stuff-

http://www.ottawacommunitynews.com/...aus-when-it-co/

Hope I don't get hurt at any point here, although I am noticing some tinnitus coming on when things are quiet (obviously not quite like getting IEDed in some pointless desert adventurism but still, not my fault).

compressioncut fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 1, 2013

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Anyone else do the new FORCE PT test? It's a hilarious joke. I had time to stop and tie my shoe in the middle of the sandbag walk/run combo and I had a conversation with my tester during the sandbag drag. This tests needs to go because it's a horrible evaluation of people's physical fitness.

Sir John Eh
Feb 27, 2007
They say Rene Descartes was a drunken fart, but I should have that title
I think it's fairly useful as a bare minimum for purple trades, and just about no one else. I'll definitely be paying attention if/when they come out with whatever they're gonna use for the challenge/incentive level of this "test."

Side note, the sandbag drag is more fun when you run it.

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005

Samu posted:

Anyone else do the new FORCE PT test? It's a hilarious joke. I had time to stop and tie my shoe in the middle of the sandbag walk/run combo and I had a conversation with my tester during the sandbag drag. This tests needs to go because it's a horrible evaluation of people's physical fitness.

My boss was joking that he could have laid down and had a nap during the sandbag lift so I did just that.

Honestly though I've processed enough ICs for people who are more than fit enough to perform their duties and I'm happy the fitness test is finally a better gauge of what is actually required in the CF. I'm in the Navy too so imagine what the RCAF is going through!

They will establish exempt standards at some point and you Army guys have your own poo poo for fitness so leave the fatter services alone!

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Sir John Eh posted:

Side note, the sandbag drag is more fun when you run it.

Kept feeling like I was gonna fall over backwards, I was stretching the rubberized floor mat thing every time I pushed back. Could have been a lot faster. Next time.

Incentives rewards are gonna be pretty much not worth it judging by the questionnaire. No option of skipping a year, which, even though it's avoiding a minor inconvenince, was nice.

Gay but Spooky posted:

I'm in the Navy too so imagine what the RCAF is going through!

I've said this before but having been in both, the navy is waaaaay more fat and slothful than the air force. The peers I left behind are almost to a man just shamefully decrepit now (10+ years in). When you hit PO2 it's just not worth fighting the cheap beer and 5* meals a day from a comfy chair in front of the TV in the C&POs mess anymore. Sorry bruh...

*breakfast, "soup," lunch, supper, stoker's breakfast. Could make it six by doubling up afternoon watchmen lunch + normal lunch...

Unrelated, and I feel sort of bad for making fun because he obviously gives a poo poo https://www.facebook.com/pages/Canadian-Military-Tribute-Truck/410328335661161

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

Gay but Spooky posted:

My boss was joking that he could have laid down and had a nap during the sandbag lift so I did just that.

Honestly though I've processed enough ICs for people who are more than fit enough to perform their duties and I'm happy the fitness test is finally a better gauge of what is actually required in the CF. I'm in the Navy too so imagine what the RCAF is going through!

They will establish exempt standards at some point and you Army guys have your own poo poo for fitness so leave the fatter services alone!

I really see the whole no exemption thing as being a big problem I have with the new test. With the old EXPRES test the standard was still fairly low but you had something to aim for that was a decent enough challenge for most people. I honestly think the old test was a good way to measure people's fitness. The beep test in particular is a very good way to get an accurate idea of someone's cardiovascular fitness by measuring their VO2 Max. Push ups and sit ups are not perfect exercises but being able to do the standard ensures you have at least some core strength. I will admit that the hand grip thing is kind of stupid.

I don't see what this new tests shows in terms of an individuals physical fitness. You can be horribly out of shape and still pass it easily, and it doesn't give out of shape people a boot in the rear end to get fit. There's also no way to get a sense of pride from doing well at it. I liked with the old test running until I felt like I was going to pass out and getting a good score on the beep test or nailing a bunch of pushups evaluated by anal assholes. There's no way to get a sense of accomplishment from doing well on the FORCE test because it's not worth doing. I'm not saying everyone needs to be a PT stud who does crossfit twice a day, god know I'm not, but there's no way the standard should be this low. The one highpoint of the test is the 20M shuttle run, which requires max effort, but personally I think everything else is garbage.

BFTS can suck my balls though. gently caress BFTS.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Damnit, I had a hope after reading about the FORCE test that it looked like the right way to go. Actual dynamic exercises that represent the duties you would actually have. Looks like they could have made something interesting and challenging into something watered down to help pass fatbodies.

I am biased mostly because I hate and suck at pushups because of my long arms and that I don't bench or do pushups as much as I should (squattin, oly liftin and deadliftin errry day). Oh well, it shouldnt preclude unit's to instill a little bit of motivation by doing other fitness tests. My unit does the cooper's test or at least a modified version of it twice a year.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

swagger like us posted:

Damnit, I had a hope after reading about the FORCE test that it looked like the right way to go. Actual dynamic exercises that represent the duties you would actually have. Looks like they could have made something interesting and challenging into something watered down to help pass fatbodies.

I am biased mostly because I hate and suck at pushups because of my long arms and that I don't bench or do pushups as much as I should (squattin, oly liftin and deadliftin errry day). Oh well, it shouldnt preclude unit's to instill a little bit of motivation by doing other fitness tests. My unit does the cooper's test or at least a modified version of it twice a year.

Cool. Well, yeah.

The FORCE test is OK as a bare minimum standard to meet universality of service requirements. You pass the test, you can hump sandbags wherever and whenever poo poo happens (cool inside Canada whether you rock a desk or whatever). Elsewise I like the fact that they've got rid of age/gender standards - gently caress off forever that the female exemption standard was equal the male pass on the expres test.

Jack up the pass standard if you like, but I think they're on the right track.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

FORCE test seems like it's a step in the right direction, but still needs a year or two to get the standards nailed down. The only people I've seen fail it are petite but otherwise fit ladies who have trouble dragging almost three times their bodyweight. Maybe it's a play by the fat male NCO/FGO mafia as revenge for years of objectively easy female standards? :ironicat:

I'm just glad I was able to meet male under 30 exemption standards at least once before they went away at any rate.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Fourth one this week... http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/another-canadian-soldier-dies-of-apparent-suicide-1.1573335

All you doorkickers please don't off yourselves:

Important:

1-800-883-6094 (Operational Stress Injury Social Support) http://www.osiss.ca/en/contact.html
1-800-268-7708 (24-Hour Toll-Free Crisis Help Line) http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/crisis-help-line

Some slacktivism:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/453918921380630/

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Isn't there also an anonymous line too? I can't remember who runs it, but there is an anonymous toll free phone line that dudes can call. The issue seems more to do with the fact that most guys are gonna be dissuaded from looking for help because of the effects on their careers and livelihoods, and then by the time it spirals out of control, their mental health issue has become a critical situation.

Mental health needs to be seen the exact same as physical health, and some of the best training was a day of class on PLQ about mental health by ex-airborne somalia vets who later became social workers presenting about mental health and leadership. Look after your guys, you wouldn't make a guy run on a broken leg, so, this stuff needs to be looked after.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

swagger like us posted:

Isn't there also an anonymous line too? I can't remember who runs it, but there is an anonymous toll free phone line that dudes can call. The issue seems more to do with the fact that most guys are gonna be dissuaded from looking for help because of the effects on their careers and livelihoods, and then by the time it spirals out of control, their mental health issue has become a critical situation.

Mental health needs to be seen the exact same as physical health, and some of the best training was a day of class on PLQ about mental health by ex-airborne somalia vets who later became social workers presenting about mental health and leadership. Look after your guys, you wouldn't make a guy run on a broken leg, so, this stuff needs to be looked after.

You said it yourself, mental health issues should be addressed the same as physical health issues. And this is the attitude that the CF is trying to push to reduce the stigma and encourage people to come forward, with varying degrees of success. So with this in mind, you wouldn't expect to have a broken leg treated anonymously and think it ok to keep it a secret from your CoC (if it were possible). And a mental health issue can inhibit your ability to perform your duties just as a physical one can, so again treatment needs to be part of the system.

The 1-800-268-7708 number gets you in touch with the Member Assistance Program which provides counselling, assistance, and referrals for tons of different things. It's not anonymous per se, but it is confidential.

If someone is seriously paranoid about anything CF-related there's always 1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433) which for sure works in BC and I believe all of North America.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

swagger like us posted:

Look after your guys, you wouldn't make a guy run on a broken leg, so, this stuff needs to be looked after.

To be fair though, it took us decades to get over making guys run on broken legs so this whole mental health thing might take awhile.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
I don't think the problem with mental health has as much to do with lack of support from the CoC as it does with the structures post- your home CoC. IPSC/JPSU whatever the gently caress they are now are pretty bad, veterans affairs is typically bad and getting worse. Definitely seen people hosed around by DMedPol. You can treat your folks who have problems with all the care and attention due them, but when the case is handed off what can you do then? Jack and poo poo.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

compressioncut posted:

I don't think the problem with mental health has as much to do with lack of support from the CoC as it does with the structures post- your home CoC. IPSC/JPSU whatever the gently caress they are now are pretty bad, veterans affairs is typically bad and getting worse. Definitely seen people hosed around by DMedPol. You can treat your folks who have problems with all the care and attention due them, but when the case is handed off what can you do then? Jack and poo poo.

Ombudsman.

scaper exile
Feb 27, 2008

Enjoy your wait. A buddy of mine has a grievance that is due for a time in promotion to Cpl...

12gaugelobotomy
Apr 25, 2012
So I'm probably the last guy in the CF to get this/find out it existed.

I saw it on a friend's belt and asked about it.

Turns out there's stuff that is issued but not advertised.

Is there anything else I need to be asking about?
What else do I need to know?
Any bin rats in here?

Reservist
Army
MEDTECH(not A)

also turns out we get scrubs too...

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Aircrew survival knives are pretty situational, but really cool to have if you use one regularly.

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Now with 33% less Engrish
Those are pretty much be at the right spot at the right time kind of deal. They were issuing safety winter boots for those working on planes outside in winter time on my previous base. They bought hundreds of Sorel worth around 300$ a pair. Sadly they didnt have my size when I went to get mine.

Your best bet is to know someone working at the clothing store that can let you know when new stuff come in.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Does anyone know how the roll out of the new combats are going? Is it going East - West sort of thing, or is it one of those equipping brand new BMQ troops with it sort of thing?

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
How 'bout these bad boys?

Not a general, but a sweet leather flying jacket. Would like to see what a properly-fitting one looks like on someone who's, uh, in shape (sorry, Comd RCAF). It also desperately needs breaking in.

(not issued, apparently available at CANEX. Probably going to be "obligated" to buy one much the same as mess kit)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Holy poo poo that's one more good reason to be a pilot.

Hotels
Telling people you're a pilot
Sweet leather jacket