Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Killed a fatty by drop kicking it enough. Felt pretty drat proud of myself after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
I've been on level 4 for a bit and running out of resources around me, I'm scared to go to 5 :(

I wish people would mod this though, my top wanted mods/changes -

A 'Shut up Lily' mod
Hi-Rez textures
and a brighter nights and/or better flashlight mod

Oh, also maybe some better AI. Theres been multiple times where I go to help survivors clear out infestations or run back or whatever and they don't fight at all :(

Already Bored
Mar 5, 2004
I HAVE HIGHER ETHICAL AND MORALE VALUES. DID I MENTION I LIKE COCK
Has anyone thats had issues with the M+K combination been able to find a fix for the mouse acceleration? I'm running the game via Parallels on my new MBP and the mouse sensitivity really does make it impossible to play.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Danith posted:

A 'Shut up Lily' mod

Lily gets a lot more annoying in breakdown for some reason. I wish I could get somebody new on the comms.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
The undead labs webpage is now a 'Hosted by Gator hosting' default thing right now. Hopefully that means somebody is now actively trying to fix things. I want that modding forum back up darn it. :argh:

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

gently caress the ROW posted:

I wish I could get somebody new on the comms.
I wish there were more voices in general, even if they were saying the same lines. It might be a little ambitious, but I would love a mod where each player character personality was done in, like, two more voices, just for variety.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Bedurndurn posted:

The undead labs webpage is now a 'Hosted by Gator hosting' default thing right now. Hopefully that means somebody is now actively trying to fix things. I want that modding forum back up darn it. :argh:

They posted on facebook that the forums were having trouble. Maybe the release day rush of breakdown wrecked them?

In other news, if you want a crazy mod, check out the Romero mod. It has a ton of stuff to customize the game, including the option to make the game basically be a Romero movie. IE: Zombies bites are very lethal, black fever can be contracted from zombie attacks if you aren't careful, etc, etc.

It was originally just about making the game more like a Romero movie, but the mod maker since achieved that a few updates ago and apparently has moved on to including a fairly impressive number of optional features.

This includes new ways to lure zombies, customizable zombie types (IE: You can have them all be the classical shamblers, runners, or a mix of both/other types.), graphical enhancements, cheat modes, options for the number of survivors in the world, a number of "harder than hard" modes, an optional mode where all survivors start off with the black fever (:stonk:) and have to survive it before they're truly "safe" (meaning your HQ can easily get overrun by converted undead from within if you aren't careful about handling medical affairs, I guess.), and so much more.

Really, it's easier to just check out the latest update out at any given time and read down the primary feature list in the mod description. He seems to add new features in just about every released update, so checking back regularly is a good idea. Heck, he just released a new version yesterday, in fact.

This is the latest version out. It's Breakdown compatible, obviously. He apparently is busy re-enabling optional features that the Breakdown expansion broke. Sounds like he's gotten most of them working again.

http://www.moddb.com/games/state-of-decay/downloads/george-romero-mod-t15-breakdown-update-1

A fair warning though, if you include Romero zombies the game ought to get insanely tough around breakdown 5 or 6. If I understand how he worked the expanded zombie spawns in you're looking at hordes being everywhere. And not actual hordes. To nail that Romero feel the mod maker apparently decided to make it so that zombies are tougher (head shots are a must with guns now) and much more numerous.

They also appear to perk up and cluster at noises easier too. So using stealth in the city and towns is a must. Sure as heck makes distraction items, foraging in the country-side, and using the ranger station/other out of the way HQ's more useful as well.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Can you assign specific people to watchtower duty? I've got two expert marksmen with longarms who are never up there, and the person most frequently manning the tower is the random drunkard with a .22LR revolver.

I'm loving Breakdown, incidentally. I'm just sort of gradually absorbing every other survivor community in the valley like some sort of amoeba and have a huge community now, with huge quantities of everything except guns and ammo.

Having trouble finding any guns got me thinking - this game is set in the rural Southern US, so where the hell are the crates of 5-20 random Mosin-Nagants that are ubiquitous at basically every gun show and gun store in the country ever? I've found a Mosin, but considering how popular they are as a novice rifle, and how stupidly easy they are to find, there should probably be a few more of them. Hell, I know of places that sell them in batches of ten.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.

Archonex posted:

Sweet looking Romero mod

Welp, I was holding off on buying the PC version because I already have the 360 version of the game plus the DLC. I guess once it goes back to $9.99 on Steam for the base game I have no choice but to pick it up.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Mister Bates posted:

Can you assign specific people to watchtower duty? I've got two expert marksmen with longarms who are never up there, and the person most frequently manning the tower is the random drunkard with a .22LR revolver.

I'm not sure how it counts it, but i've noticed that some survivors seem to have a predilection to certain tasks. The cop I posted that story about on the last page always was "on missions" and starting zombie hunt missions, the meth head looking hero I picked up at the start of the level was always missing or spazzing out, one guy was always on watchtower duty if he wasn't foraging, another was always getting pissed off and running off to murder zombies himself, etc, etc. Not sure what's up with that. Maybe someone who's poked around on the back end can say what's up.

An easy way to get a weapon you want in the watchtower though is to pay attention to who's in there commonly. Then just give them the gun you want. That's what I did to ensure the grenade launcher is always active on defense, and it's not failed me yet with a 12 person HQ across two or three levels of Breakdown. So long as the NPC's aren't offering to take shifts (they seem to do this with larger communities) they'll always prioritize going up there over any other NPC actions.

quote:

Having trouble finding any guns got me thinking - this game is set in the rural Southern US, so where the hell are the crates of 5-20 random Mosin-Nagants that are ubiquitous at basically every gun show and gun store in the country ever? I've found a Mosin, but considering how popular they are as a novice rifle, and how stupidly easy they are to find, there should probably be a few more of them. Hell, I know of places that sell them in batches of ten.

It got mocked after I suggested it exists last page, but there's actually a military base in game. It just isn't labeled on the map. I picked up about seven top tier assault rifles, two military ammo resources, and two 100 round capacity very light weight LMG's (Which was a :stare: moment.) up there when I started a new game and checked it out. Spoilers for details about it below, obviously.

Near the fair ground in that district of warehouses there are a bunch of semi-hidden wrecked military outposts. These can potentially have a poo poo-ton of military ammo resources and extremely high end guns. Check around the SE end of the fenced off area. If you enter a warehouse and see a lot of fencing, followed by a concrete construction inside that looks like an impromptu jail and an execution range next to it, that's probably it.

If you have a hard time finding it, you can also look for a blackboard in the building. There's some unique/neat details to the area. The HQ of the military outpost has a blackboard in the back detailing their operation. Not sure if it needs high detail graphics to be readable, but if you find a building with that look outside. There'll be a few green tents. Inside them is usually a large military stash.

Some of the other buildings appeared to have a few military stashes hidden around them, but I got chased off by a poo poo-ton of zombies before I could confirm it. I should note that on breakdown level 5 the place was overrun with army zombies. In fact, five minutes after starting a new profile there, a nearby neighbor enclave started a Zed Hunt offer there. It was the first time where I had to kill multiple army zombies to complete that mission type. This wasn't counting the two dozen other normal zombies that showed up after a brief firefight as well.

Suffice to say that you should be prepared for a fight, or some heavy duty stealth if you go there. The zombies can climb the tall fences and hem you in if you aren't careful. Definitely felt like a sort of "end game" exploration area to me, given how many threats there were.

Mental Midget posted:

Welp, I was holding off on buying the PC version because I already have the 360 version of the game plus the DLC. I guess once it goes back to $9.99 on Steam for the base game I have no choice but to pick it up.

It's honestly worth $10 as it is. Breakdown gets "Romeroish" around breakdown level 5. And it adds so much infinitely replayable content that it's kind of crazy that it's as cheap as it is. That's before you add in mods like the Romero mod too.

Once the modding forums get back up I imagine that some of the mods will be fairly impressive as well. People were already trying to hack together an editor that'd let them enable stuff like survivors shooting outside the HQ, find a way to make them pick up rucksacks, and scavenge on their own as well.

Heck, the Romero mod is a pretty impressive example of modding all by itself, given the lack of official mod tools. Seems like the game was built to be fairly moddable for the PC with a bit of work on modder's end of things.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 3, 2013

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
Holy crap! I just discovered that camps in the middle of the woods have pretty much the best loot. I just searched through 3 camps next to each other (the ones with sleeping bags and backpacks) and got a BAR, Ruger Mini, 2 pistols, tons of ammo and a "Igorot Axe".

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Archonex posted:

They posted on facebook that the forums were having trouble. Maybe the release day rush of breakdown wrecked them?

Actually they got hacked by some "Saudi group." Pretty dumb considering the game isn't that popular/widespread :shrug:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Fibby Boy posted:

Killed a fatty by drop kicking it enough. Felt pretty drat proud of myself after that.

Dear god man are you insane? Did you run out of weapons or something?

Also Snyder's public service announcement: Park your least valuable car in the parking spot to the front on the gas station side. Sometimes a zombie will be lying down outside the gas station and your survivors will try real hard to snipe it through your car. It does not end well for the car.

Archonex posted:

It got mocked after I suggested it exists last page, but there's actually a military base in game. It just isn't labeled on the map. I picked up about seven top tier assault rifles, two military ammo resources, and two 100 round capacity very light weight LMG's (Which was a :stare: moment.) up there when I started a new game and checked it out. Spoilers for details about it below, obviously.

A couple of other military stashes: The crashed army helicopter outside the fairgrounds and a tent next to the dam. The dam is to the west of the fairgrounds town.

e: Forgot to mention. I noticed that my Snyder's workshop is a hybrid of the machine shop and the munitions workshop. It repairs cars and can produce munitions. It is pretty much the best thing ever.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Dec 3, 2013

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Tommofork posted:

Pretty much yeah. Wasn't letting that fat bitch go.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Another good source of guns if you're having trouble finding them is the Marshall courthouse. I found three MP5s there, and plenty of assorted ammo. Marshall also has a gun store and police station, plus a couple of warehouses that usually have guns in them, so if you set up an outpost and spend about a day just searching for weapons you should end up with a pretty good haul.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Tommofork posted:

Also Snyder's public service announcement: Park your least valuable car in the parking spot to the front on the gas station side. Sometimes a zombie will be lying down outside the gas station and your survivors will try real hard to snipe it through your car. It does not end well for the car.

A couple of other military stashes: The crashed army helicopter outside the fairgrounds and a tent next to the dam. The dam is to the west of the fairgrounds town.

There's also a military checkpoint on the bridge on the west end of the map.

Really, the towns and marked houses tend to be where most of the common loot spawns. If you want to get this game's equivalent of "epic purps", you gotta hoof it off the beaten trail and risk getting eaten. Case in point, the fairly massive military compound I stumbled across. Or all of the off-road campsites and stashes.

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012
So is that Romero mod for the Breakdown DLC or is it for when you want to play the base game?

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

"Hey, there's a fatty in the middle of that horde. I wonder if I can just plow him with my carBLAMFUCK! OH gently caress!" That was a fun learning experience. Blew out 2 tires and the car got stuck on a rock. I had to run for it. Luckily there was a tower just close enough. I barely managed to get up the ladder, exhausted and injured. Then I had to wait them out so I could sneak down. I'm really liking the game so far. The gang and I just moved from the Church to the Savini house. It's been a good mix of managing the personalities in the group vs zombie smashing.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
I'm having a pain on Breakdown 3. I started with my usual character and my radio girl. This time, there was no notification of group letting us stay with them. So I haul rear end to the Alamo since it doesn't require a minimum population. Been here for about 2 1/2 hours in game and I still have been able to recruit anyone. I'm calling for survivors, doing side missions, etc. It's slow going because my ONE guy keeps getting exhausted.

gently caress.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Breakdown has caused me to use a bunch of safehouses I never would have before. Normally it was just Church->Snyder->maybe the Fairgrounds, but now that you start in a random location and have fewer survivors at the start, I've ended up experimenting with new residences. My first safehouse on Breakdown 1 was the Kirkman Residence, and I'm currently in Savini's on Breakdown 2.

It seems like they've added a bunch more variety to random survivors to me. I've definitely encountered some voices I've never heard before, as well as some new personality traits and character appearances. It's pretty cool.

Also, I can now join the 'Meleed a Big Bastard to Death' club. It's a lot easier with three people than it is by yourself, it goes down remarkably quickly to a hurricane of blows from a pirate cutlass, a wakizashi, and a crowbar.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Maybe it's just me, but I really wish they weren't working towards an MMO. I think the bottom is falling out of the market for MMOs and sometimes you just want to enjoy a good ol' single player game with no intrusive elements distracting you from across the internet.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Yar The Pirate posted:

So is that Romero mod for the Breakdown DLC or is it for when you want to play the base game?
It's Breakdown compatible.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Speedball posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I really wish they weren't working towards an MMO. I think the bottom is falling out of the market for MMOs and sometimes you just want to enjoy a good ol' single player game with no intrusive elements distracting you from across the internet.

Yeah, same here. I'd really like them to just make a good single-player sequel to this game, maybe with a co-op mode (although I could live without it). Not everything needs to be an MMO.

e: Was just clearing out a house directly across the street from my home base to set up an outpost there, and Sgt. Tan was on the watchtower with a heavy machine gun nailing zombies through the windows as I fought them. :stare:

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 3, 2013

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012
I'd be happy if they just made it a server based multiplayer game with however many people you wanted on the map. That's what Project Zomboid (a game State of Decay has a lot in common with) is going to do in terms of multiplayer. Although I'm sure Microsoft has some locked down terms for what they're going to do. Hopefully it'll release on the PC at the same time as the console version because that wait is going to be torture if it's good.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
I don't suppose anyone has made a mod to remove the glowing eyes yet? Zombies are supposed to shamble in dark corners and give you poopy pants, not wave around warning leds of their presence :colbert:

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Mister Bates posted:

Also, I can now join the 'Meleed a Big Bastard to Death' club. It's a lot easier with three people than it is by yourself, it goes down remarkably quickly to a hurricane of blows from a pirate cutlass, a wakizashi, and a crowbar.

The "Dropkick a Big Bastard to Death by yourself" club is way better.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
Finally got my resolution working pretty well. 1920x1080. The text seems a little off though. Just got started and haven't done much yet though.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Mister Bates posted:

After getting used to big bastards I prefer to melee them to death alone. It saves me worrying about my friends getting torn in half and taking risks to blitz the fatty down.

Putting this stuff in spoilers because people might want to figure it out on their own.
RE Melee Big Bastards
The key is to make them ram into something when they try to charge you. Stand next to a wall and duck behind it at the last second. They have two attack animations when charging and they usually alternate between the two. You can sidestep/roll away the shoulder charge and you can roll away from the lumbering ground pound, just roll late and directly away from the fatty to avoid being caught.

General thoughts on combat:
Shotguns suck until you're getting charged by a Feral, then suddenly they're amazing. Nimble + heavy weapons specialists are hands down the best fighters in the game. Pick the Rage skill when you hit fighting level 7 and enjoy having a guy that can fight longer, regenerates their stamina in seconds and has amazing crowd control.

Fibby Boy posted:

The "Dropkick a Big Bastard to Death by yourself" club is way better.

As an added bonus it's also the "Didn't take my pills today" club. :v:

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Is it just me, or does using Sweep Kick require you to be unarmed? Thus making you an extremely deadly kung fu master?

I lost my only nimble guy to a Feral, but he had Sweep Kick and he was a killer.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Tommofork posted:

General thoughts on combat:
... charged by a Feral

I had a moment where I drop kicked a feral right as he jumped at me and he just started floating in mid-air in the middle of the jump animation. When I hit him he would float in that direction. Took a lot of hits to kill but eventually he died, still floating :v:

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Kasonic posted:

Is it just me, or does using Sweep Kick require you to be unarmed? Thus making you an extremely deadly kung fu master?

I lost my only nimble guy to a Feral, but he had Sweep Kick and he was a killer.

Why did you not go Roundhouse? Its literally the best skill in the game.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Is there a way to fix mouse acceleration for the Steam version of the game yet? It makes the game really really annoying to play. I want to like it a lot but the mouse acceleration makes it really unfun for me.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Kasonic posted:

It's just you. No skill in the game requires you to be unarmed.

e:
... god drat it now I want to try playing as a kung-fu master with his luchador buddy.

Danith posted:

I had a moment where I drop kicked a feral right as he jumped at me and he just started floating in mid-air in the middle of the jump animation. When I hit him he would float in that direction. Took a lot of hits to kill but eventually he died, still floating :v:

He was so close to ascending. :(

Inevitablelongshot
Mar 26, 2010

Fewd posted:

I don't suppose anyone has made a mod to remove the glowing eyes yet? Zombies are supposed to shamble in dark corners and give you poopy pants, not wave around warning leds of their presence :colbert:

Gotta second this. I guess the game isn't very mod friendly though.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm not really getting the dodge mechanics here. I expect they're useful, but for the most part I can't tell when in a swirling melee I should be dodging. It'd probably help if I avoid swirling melee and didn't go out as much at night, but... I feel like hitting zack with blunt objects does better as a form of 'defense' than rolling around and praying I timed it right.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Warmachine posted:

I'm not really getting the dodge mechanics here. I expect they're useful, but for the most part I can't tell when in a swirling melee I should be dodging. It'd probably help if I avoid swirling melee and didn't go out as much at night, but... I feel like hitting zack with blunt objects does better as a form of 'defense' than rolling around and praying I timed it right.
The dodge roll is your best friend if you get surrounded, but the regular dodge seems mostly useful for one-on-one fights. Also probably useful against freaks.

Note that I'm saying this as someone who's not very good at the game though.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
When a zombie leaps for me i just tap be and dodge out the way, saves a bit of health. In the middle of a big fight you'll have to do it every now and again to avoid getting hit, just swinging won't stop that.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Is the breakdown DLC worth purchasing?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

NewMars posted:

I'm happy with it so far. It's much more sandboxey and really adds a survival aspect to the game that just wasn't there in the base game. If you like the State of Decay gameplay it's a great purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Warmachine posted:

It depends on how many zombies you're fighting.

Pressing just dodge on its own makes your guy wait around for an attack for a second, and if attacked you will weave out of the way. It seems if multiple zombies attack at exactly the same time you can dodge multiple attacks. If you're fighting one on one and you've got the Fighting skill at level three, press dodge, then do a normal attack for extra damage and a good chance of knocking them down. It's useful when fighting one on one, or for countering a single incoming attack in a bigger melee. It's also great for taunting the zombies lying on the ground to jump up and miss you.

Pressing dodge and a direction makes you duck. This is for fighting against a few at once. Take a couple of swings and if zombies are still standing close to you duck away from the return attacks, then attack again, dodge again, etc. Also ok for dodging the flying leap zombies do when they chase you, but timing it can be a bitch.

Pressing dodge, sprint and a direction is rolling. Use this when you absolutely have to move now. I use this a lot after doing moves with a slow recovery, like leg sweeps with heavy weapons, or after suplexing a zombie to death, as it seems to be better at avoiding follow up attacks from other zombies. If you're getting swarmed roll, eat a snack and sprint away.

It is also a pro move to roll under a Feral when they leap at you, and out of the way of Big Bastards when they charge. It's good to roll past zombies if you're trapped and need to get by, or just can't be arsed fighting them.

I've been playing around with plain old kicking and found out that I've been underestimating it. When fighting a few zombies at a time it's great for interrupting their attacks and spacing them out. Also, after you whack them a few times they sometimes spin around, you can kick them in the back and they'll fall to the ground. It's usually better to continually kick a standing zombie away and finish the ones already knocked to the ground, especially if you're low on stamina.

God drat I play this game too much. :(

NewMars posted:

If you liked the base game and ever thought, "Man, I wish this was harder", yeah, buy.

• Locked thread