Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

I'm just going to wait out this bug instead of seeing a doctor in Siem Reap now thanks to this thread.

I just hope I recover enough to take a 14 hour bus to HCMC this weekend. Why did I have to get sick my last week in SEA? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

Play posted:

In the "old city" (bordered by old walls and a filthy moat, a perfect square) there are hundreds of places. Julie's is pretty popular and I liked the common room but the accomodations were pretty poo poo. I found a really nice place that embarrassingly enough I can't remember the name of. I actually got to stay there for free for loaning money to the landlady, sketchy but she did pay me back. My advice is just to go walking in the old city, when you see a place, go in and ask the price and ask to see the room. You could probably hit 15 places in an hour or so, at which point you will probably have found something that suits. Unless you're a fancy pants.

My pants aren't too fancy, but I'll be traveling with my girlfriend and another friend, so it might be kinda hectic to find a place at the end of December. Or maybe not? I dunno, the only times I was in Chiang Mai my accommodation was already sorted or it was a slower time of year. All the full bookings on Booking.com are starting to make me nervous already.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Shnicker posted:

My pants aren't too fancy, but I'll be traveling with my girlfriend and another friend, so it might be kinda hectic to find a place at the end of December. Or maybe not? I dunno, the only times I was in Chiang Mai my accommodation was already sorted or it was a slower time of year. All the full bookings on Booking.com are starting to make me nervous already.

Sorry man I can't really answer this except to say that there will ALWAYS be something available in my experience. That being said, I have never visited Chiang Mai at that time of the year, nor have I traveled with two girls of indeterminate squeamishness. I'm almost positive you'll be fine. Plus making reservations over the internet in asia is really hard unless you're going to the super nice places. Sorry I can't be of more help, good luck!

quote:

I'm just going to wait out this bug instead of seeing a doctor in Siem Reap now thanks to this thread.

I just hope I recover enough to take a 14 hour bus to HCMC this weekend. Why did I have to get sick my last week in SEA?

Sup tomato soup, if you're cool, you seem cool, you can stay at my place if you want. I can only offer a big couch and the living room isn't air conditioned because its kinda enormous but... yeah. You're welcome to it. Working kitchen, hot showers with only a few bugs, etc. I'm working pretty hard all weekend but Sunday night is my friday (and its also when i get paid cuz im loving broke atm) and thats when imma be going out if you want to join! In any case, enjoy HCMC, bummer that you're leaving asia.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

Thanks for the offer! Will contact you after I see how I'm feeling in a few days. Just realized that it might be dengue because I'm having joint/muscle pains and I've been guzzling water like crazy :cripes:

So I guess I need to drag myself to a doctor or something to make sure. I didn't want to leave yet but I don't want to stay longer because I got dengue.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
For dental emergencies in or around Phnom Penh, I'd recommend Roomchang Dental. It's pretty drat state of the art and the guy running it is really an amazing story.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
I managed to get a respiratory infection again... I think. The antibiotics didn't hurt, at least. Would have gotten a test at the clinic, but it was randomly closed because Laos. The pharmacy deemed it "probably bronchitis" and gave me a bunch of medications, including one that's been banned by the FDA since 1997.

Today I was hanging out with some Quebequois expats. One of them had just been given test results for someone else. She was suspicious at how her anemia had suddenly completely reversed itself, so we went through the papers, and sure enough, the patient ID #s didn't match. LAOS!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Laos would be ahead of many countries on my list of medical destinations, including Afghanistan, North Korea, Bolivia, Somalia and several others!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Ugh incompetence :suicide:

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Tomato Soup posted:

Thanks for the offer! Will contact you after I see how I'm feeling in a few days. Just realized that it might be dengue because I'm having joint/muscle pains and I've been guzzling water like crazy :cripes:

So I guess I need to drag myself to a doctor or something to make sure. I didn't want to leave yet but I don't want to stay longer because I got dengue.

Go to NAGA Clinic and see the Dutch doctor (he's the only one there). http://www.nagahealthcare.com/

He's a bit blunt but he'll tell you what to do. I reckon the vast majority of people here who think they have dengue just have a stomach bug combined with dehydration and an unhealthy splash of heatstroke. Oh, and a hangover.

The only thing you can really do is drink lots of water (combined with Royal D THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT) and take ibuprofen for the fever and paracetemol for the joint pains. Unless you want to be put on an IV drip but if you managed to get to the doctor on your feet you don't need that.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

I had to go to a hospital in rural Bolivia to get an xray after I fell off a mountain bike on a tour (not Death Road). It was horrifying and now I think before I sign up for an adventure tour - "if I got hurt, can I get treated here?". They let me keep the x-rays at least so I got a nifty souvenir but never again. I had to wait a day too because "the doctor is closed on Sundays". The tour company paid for it and I ended up being fine so.

A guy told me that his buddy got appendicitis in Vientiane and they were told that no hospitals in Laos could do the removal so they just went to the airport and caught the first flight out to Bangkok. He got it dealt with in Bangkok at least but :stare:

Just got back from the clinic where they gave me some codeine with instructions in French and something for the vomiting and I have to go back tomorrow morning to do tests because the lab was closed. Because their credit card system wasn't working or something (why does this always happen) I had to go out and find an ATM. Right after I grabbed some cash, I staggered to a chair and threw up copious amounts of water onto the sidewalk front of a bunch of locals :cripes: I ran away before the guard who was watching me with his nose covered could talk to me.

At least the clinic had a cat.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Shnicker posted:

When I was in Chiang Mai it was at the end of December last year and all of the budget places I wanted to stay in the old city were full. It happens. I ended up sleeping in a tent on a balcony in a run-down place called Nocky House with leeches in the water that collected on the bathroom floor. I still had a great time with the people I met there. I would recommend at least a cursory glance at things online before you go just to get an idea of how full the places you want to be are, unless you're fine with sleeping in a tent I guess. I'm Canadian so leeches and a tent = vacation for me. But Chiang Mai in December is one place I would actually book ahead if I went again, and I never book ahead.

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008

Tomato Soup posted:

I've had dengue before. It's worth buying a thermometer. If you have it, you'll have a fever over 38º. It usually isn't serious the first time, but it's worth going to the doctor's for a blood test to a) confirm that you have it and b) make sure your platelet levels aren't too low. If you have dengue, DO NOT TAKE IBUPROFEN! It increases your chances of hemorrhaging. PARACETAMOL ONLY!

For the poster looking for Chiang Mai accommodation, Diva Guesthouse is worth a look. Quite small, awesome staff, reasonably priced, and good location. Book in advance.

xcdude24 fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 3, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, the Ibuprofen thing is huge. I did that too.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
Dengue is a curious experience; it's Cholera & Malaria you gotta watch out for :haw:

( :ssh: ...Cholera will kick your rear end. There "ain't no gettin' offa that train you're on" once your brain tells your bowels to evacuate. )

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
So what's the deal in Bangkok right now? Should I bypass? I heard there was a 10pm curfew, and that's gonna gently caress with my party lifestyle.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
For tourists it's normal, basically, other than the big protest camps at a few places - including at Democracy Monument near KSR. The only thing that's odd tomorrow is it's the King's Birthday, so various things are closed. I think they still serve alcohol though, certainly will on KSR.

For some reason, rumors about curfews and things have cropped up on FB groups too. If there's been a curfew, neither I, nor the local restaurants I eat at at 01:00 after work nor the guys I buy a beer from then know about it. I guess maybe there could be in theory, but no one I know has been affected by one. Paragon and CTW were closed the other day, I heard, but they were open the next day when I went, so I dunno. Probably if you plan to camp out near Government House it's a bad idea, heh.

While this could all change any time, with the monarch's birthday tomorrow things normally completely go quiet with respect to civil unrest. The rumor (there's always a rumor) is that things are planned to kick back off on the 10th.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Oh good. Planning to be back there on the 11th. Keep us posted, yeah? I don't plan on walking through the middle of protests snapping cool Instagrams, but I do want to be be reasonably confident I won't get exploded at a goonmeet. Because we should have a goonmeet.

Almost sad to be leaving The Real World: Luang Prabang. The last remaining 18-year-old is a drama llama of epic proportions. I don't think she even knows when she's lying, and she's definitely mentally unstable. I keep catching her telling epic stories of things that have happened to her... except that they happened to other volunteers while I was here, definitely not her. She's also been smuggling in her 32-year-old expat skeezeball "not a boyfriend" then letting him walk out the front door at 8am past the guesthouse matriarch.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

From my understanding, there's not a curfew, per se, but Embassies are warning their people to stay indoors from 10pm-5am.

As for teaching, sure. 40k is good, and livable, so long as you're not in downtown Bangkok. Where is the school at, anyway? Is it an agency, if so which one, there's a lot of shady nonsense that happens here.

If you're coming from Indo you'll see the price of everything except booze go up. So depending on what kind of person you are, you'll probably see your costs get higher as well as your pay. The truth of the matter is that if you want to make money teaching, this is not the country to live in. If you want to have fun, this is a great place to do it.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

Thanks for the warning about ibuprofen, won't find out if it's dengue or not until tomorrow but I have a hellish headache and the painkillers that the doctor gave me isn't working for it and I was about to grab some ibuprofen until I remembered this thread.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

If there's been a curfew, neither I, nor the local restaurants I eat at at 01:00 after work nor the guys I buy a beer from then know about it

Curfew only applicable to hicks wearing red shirts would be my guess.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Also the usual cast of young street toughs on motorbikes at night, darker Thai men with beards and "Southern features" and taxi drivers who look like they might have enough money on them to pay for tonight's bottle of whiskey. Oh and, if you're around Asoke, the occasional farang who posts on ThaiVisa and can't believe his rights are being violated.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

Play posted:

Sorry man I can't really answer this except to say that there will ALWAYS be something available in my experience. That being said, I have never visited Chiang Mai at that time of the year, nor have I traveled with two girls of indeterminate squeamishness. I'm almost positive you'll be fine. Plus making reservations over the internet in asia is really hard unless you're going to the super nice places. Sorry I can't be of more help, good luck!

It's OK, I appreciate the advice. I'll try to book something in advance. We'll probably book something in advance to spend Christmas in Pai and New Years in Chiang Mai or something like that.

On a completely different note, has anyone taken advantage of the new 72 hour transit visa/visa on arrival for travel through China? I just found out about it and might check it out on my way home in March. Is Beijing expensive? Is it hard to find a hotel near the airport for a decent price? Is transportation from the airport to the city relatively cheap? Is there a facility for holding luggage at the airport? Sorry for all the questions about China in this thread.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

^^^
I sort of did that when I had a connection in Shanghai. Be sure to print out your flight info since they didn't print a boarding pass for my second flight and I had to pick a fight with the customs guy in China to actually let me in so I could make my flight. I wasn't the only one on my flight with this problem either, some others who smartly printed out their info was able to breeze through the customs and get stamped for a 72 hour visa. It has to be a connecting flight though, you can't just fly to Beijing for a day then fly back out. Not sure which airlines connect in Beijing but shouldn't be too hard to find a cheap fare for a long layover if you contact them. China thread would probably be better for your questions.

It's not dengue! :woop:

I just have a bladder infection instead :cripes: At least I'm feeling better now and I actually can eat some stuff so I can see Angkor Wat tomorrow then catch a bus back to Saigon on Saturday or Sunday.

Paid for a 15 day Vietnam visa, ended up getting a 1 month visa for some reason. Not complaining even if I won't need all of the extra time as I'm catching a flight back home on Wednesday night :v:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Tomato Soup posted:

I just have a bladder infection instead :cripes: At least I'm feeling better now and I actually can eat some stuff so I can see Angkor Wat tomorrow then catch a bus back to Saigon on Saturday or Sunday.

Paid for a 15 day Vietnam visa, ended up getting a 1 month visa for some reason. Not complaining even if I won't need all of the extra time as I'm catching a flight back home on Wednesday night :v:

Congratulations on not being deathly ill! I'm throwing a party of sorts on Sunday, and then Tuesday is my housemates birthday so that's another mini party we'll be having, you should come through! I'm always curious what other goons are like and Senso's the only one I've even met in real life. So yeah, and if you need a couch, offer's still open! Email me at robertjamesh at gmail dot com if you've got any questions or wanna swing through! good luck with that medical stuff, bladder infections can be fearsome bitches.

edit: better yet if you want to add me on facebook Bo James Hancock so that you know I'm not an Asian Hitler who will kill you and wear your skin

Play fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Dec 5, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
All Asia's Hitlers are belong to us.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

So far underwhelmed with Chiang Mai, but I'll get more adventurous tomorrow. Maybe. Today I just navigated tuktuks from my slightly-inconvenient hotel to a mega mall so I could replace the clothes that make me look like a hobo after three months travel.

What it is with Thai people and sweets? I mean, Vietnam and Laos love their sweetened condensed milk but in both Chiang Mai and Bangkok it seems like I'm always in smelling range of a donut shop, crepe stand, ice-cream shop, gelato shop, cake shop, tea shop (with cake), or waffle stand. How are they not all American-sized?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I think it's one way to combat the heat. I notice people from hotter climates love sweet food.

People do get American sized, but only when they hit middle age. Others are just living in abject poverty and eat super small portions

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Pixelante posted:

So far underwhelmed with Chiang Mai, but I'll get more adventurous tomorrow. Maybe. Today I just navigated tuktuks from my slightly-inconvenient hotel to a mega mall so I could replace the clothes that make me look like a hobo after three months travel.

What it is with Thai people and sweets? I mean, Vietnam and Laos love their sweetened condensed milk but in both Chiang Mai and Bangkok it seems like I'm always in smelling range of a donut shop, crepe stand, ice-cream shop, gelato shop, cake shop, tea shop (with cake), or waffle stand. How are they not all American-sized?

Five years ago (in Thailand) it wasn't like this at all. There's a lot of chatter in Thailand about how the kids are fat now. There were a couple of Haagen Daz shops and the ubiquitous Swansons but what you'd see in there is seven fifteen year olds sharing one ridiculous banana fortress thing they got off the menu. It isn't easy to make a fifteen year old Asian kid fat.

Some day someone will start selling spicy ice cream in Thailand. Probably larb flavor. The nation will explode. The king will be on TV and be like 600 pounds and eating it when he's giving a proclamation.

caberham posted:

I think it's one way to combat the heat. I notice people from hotter climates love sweet food.

People do get American sized, but only when they hit middle age. Others are just living in abject poverty and eat super small portions

IDK man I feel like other than the younger generation in Thailand they're not terribly interested in sweets there. They prefer their mangoes and papayas unripe, very few local foods are actually sweet, etc. The only three sweet Thai dishes I can think of is sticky rice with mango (which almost no one but children eat), that shaved ice and bean thing with coconut cream on top (again, mostly kids but also the ice waters down the cream and it ends up not terribly sweet anyway), and the reeds with glutinous rice steamed in them (which are more likely to have red beans in there as an additive for a kind of salty mild flavor rather than the sweet version with coconut cream, which does exist).

They do put an assload of sugar in their coffee.

raton fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 5, 2013

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

There's already spicy ice cream in that grocery store under Paragon. I tried some, it was kind of weird and I just couldn't deal with savory flavors in ice cream.

Thais are definitely fatter than their neighbors. I don't think I saw a fat Vietnamese, there were a few in Laos, a bunch in Cambodia then lots in Thailand. Both men and women. Still makes shopping for clothes a pain though :argh:

Added you, Play btw :) I'm the one with the photo of me about to eat a massive beetle.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

I saw a plus-size clothing store called "Pretty Fat" the last time I was in Bangkok.

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008

Pixelante posted:

Go to SP chicken tomorrow. Order the grilled chicken and the beef salad

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008

Gail Wynand posted:

I saw a plus-size clothing store called "Pretty Fat" the last time I was in Bangkok.

Since we're on the topic of hilarious store names

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

One of my favs is Porn Prom. I think it's some kind of industrial metalworks shop.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Pixelante posted:

Go to Pai! Its a bit cliche but Pai is super chill, its got some fun "waterfalls" (little swimming holes, some with parts you can slide down that are pretty fun) and REALLY amazing views. There's tons of great hikes and outdoor destinationsk, the food is good and there's knick knack shopping, the vibes are really laid back and most of the bungalo places sell weed which is a nice change ((if you're a smoker) from other sketchy rear end places in Thailand where the locals act like they're selling meth or something) Get a motorbike and make huge circuits of the area and you will be amazed at the beauty of Northern Thailand, which I don't think is really properly captured in Chiang Mai. There's elephants of course, there's a really cool hot spring you can cook eggs in and swim in, there's tons of great trails, picturesque rice fields, etc. For a touristy place I was really impressed by my whole experience. This was during the low season, mind you.

quote:

Added you, Play btw I'm the one with the photo of me about to eat a massive beetle.

Word, lemme know if you need info or help or whatever (:

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Pai is so much better than Chiang Mai. God. I'm glad I rode out straight to Pai after only a day in Chiang Mai.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

IDK man I feel like other than the younger generation in Thailand they're not terribly interested in sweets there. They prefer their mangoes and papayas unripe, very few local foods are actually sweet, etc. The only three sweet Thai dishes I can think of is sticky rice with mango (which almost no one but children eat), that shaved ice and bean thing with coconut cream on top (again, mostly kids but also the ice waters down the cream and it ends up not terribly sweet anyway), and the reeds with glutinous rice steamed in them (which are more likely to have red beans in there as an additive for a kind of salty mild flavor rather than the sweet version with coconut cream, which does exist).
Khao lam :syoon:
What about those coconut taco things they sell in the malls? My father in law loves those (but he has a notorious sweet tooth). Also durian candy/logs/ice cream.

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

eviljelly posted:

One of my favs is Porn Prom. I think it's some kind of industrial metalworks shop.

It's probably พรพรหม, "Blessing of Brahma". But yeah, unfortunately pronunciations do happen quite often. Thai cooking shows will have problem airing in English-speaking country with original audio, because many words will sound very similar to English vulgarities.

Oracle posted:

Khao lam :syoon:
What about those coconut taco things they sell in the malls?

This? It's called ขนมเบื้อง (Kha-Nom-Buang).

As for sweets, I feel like people have sweet tooth since forever.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
You see hilarious store names all the time here, but for some reason my favorite was a dress shop named, "I Have A Dream..."

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

I saw a shop in Chiang Mai named Fatty Princess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kru
Oct 5, 2003

There is a bakery downstairs from me called "Special Kneadz".